Brockton's Celestial Forge (Worm/Jumpchain)

My point from previous post still stands. The gun might not be loaded at all; might not be a real gun in the first place. And it still would be stupid. Metaphorically, the alley is dark as shit and Lisa is holding something in her hand. She claims it to be a gun. People around these parts with guns are not common but also far from being unheard of. So, there is a very good chance that it is indeed a gun. Actual gun. Loaded gun. Pointed at you. Making assumptions is very bad idea in such situation.
Thing is in this world guns can't be fired instantly. A social thinker can only be so dangerous so fast. Let's say for some unknown reason all guns have to be reassembled to actually fire. Why isn't the gun already assembled? Maybe all guns are flintlock pistols that are accurate for some reason. I don't know, the analogy is breaking down. Anyway, the odds of Lisa being able to actually instantly win via just a social thinker power is about about as likely of Contessa showing up. Social powers are awful for fights, even with how good her power her power actually is she's still at a massive disadvantage at this point in basically every way that matters.

Lisa is one of the best thinkers in the entire world, her power is ranked higher on the threat scale than almost the entire local Protectorate. Even if Vicky knows Lisa has a social thinker power as far as she should be concerned Lisa was dumb for getting in this fight in the first place. Attempting to use super social skills to fight a brute who casually goes through brick walls is dumb. Lisa is one of the most broadly applicable thinkers in the entire series, that plus her gun, plus Taylor being right there, plus Lisa figuring out Vicky's one weakness right then is the only reason Vicky didn't successfully arrest all of them.

Thing is in this world guns can't be fired instantly. A social thinker can only be so dangerous so fast. Let's say for some unknown reason all guns have to be reassembled to actually fire. Why isn't the gun already assembled? Maybe all guns are flintlock pistols that are accurate for some reason. I don't know, the analogy is breaking down. Anyway, the odds of Lisa being able to actually instantly win via just a social thinker power is about about as likely of Contessa showing up. Social powers are awful for fights, even with how good her power her power actually is she's still at a massive disadvantage at this point in basically every way that matters.

Lisa is one of the best thinkers in the entire world, her power is ranked higher on the threat scale than almost the entire local Protectorate. Even if Vicky knows Lisa has a social thinker power as far as she should be concerned Lisa was dumb for getting in this fight in the first place. Attempting to use super social skills to fight a brute who casually goes through brick walls is dumb. Lisa is one of the most broadly applicable thinkers in the entire series, that plus her gun, plus Taylor being right there, plus Lisa figuring out Vicky's one weakness right then is the only reason Vicky didn't successfully arrest all of them.
Lisa is dangerous not because she's likely to win a fight. Her gun might not be instakill like normal guns but she can leave you to bleed out to death; collateral damage that cant be healed. Social Thinker is scary in their environment - e.g. you surrounded by your allies. Its a nightmare because they can tear teams apart. Joe threw a bunch of words and collapsed New Wave without even trying. This is what a social thinker can do. Not immediate win but lasting damage, even if you punch that thinker in the mouth two seconds later that hardly would solve the problem they made.

But thats not even the biggest problem. Vicky ENGAGED IN A DIALOGUE with a social thinker. You dont do that. You stop listening to them as much as you can and punch them in the jaw ASAP. If you really dont want to let the guy with may be gun that you've been chasing (or which you caught briefly off guard by becoming Kool Aid Man) to get away you dont stop and ask them to surrender, you keep moving, rush them down and wrestle gun out of their hand.

I would add it's also annoying how wildbow and hence people like Vicky and Armsy treats psychic stuff as telepathy only both there and the other times it's mentioned cause psychic stuff includes things like tk or clairvoyance.

Armsmaster in canon goes as far as to create a psychic defense for his suit for both Regent and Tattletale. So he at least took Lisa's bluff seriously.

6.6 said:
"What do you hope to accomplish? I admit, it was clever to control the battlefield, to dictate each engagement so it occurred on your terms, and to use our own weapons against us… but those weapons no longer work. None of your weapons work," Armsmaster turned his head to look at where Miss Militia had Regent at gunpoint. "Which means you can stop trying to use your power on me, Regent. I've got a little blinking light in the corner of my H.U.D. telling me you're trying something. I've set up psychic and empathic shielding, to protect myself from you and Tattletale."

I glanced at Tattletale. He was psychically shielded against her? How did that work?

Then I remembered. When we'd gone up against Glory Girl and Panacea, hadn't Tattletale said she read minds? And now Armsmaster had bad info and was figuring he was immune.

I don't think Worm ever really uses the term psychic past this though, so you could chalk it up to early installment weirdness.

Armsmaster in canon goes as far as to create a psychic defense for his suit for both Regent and Tattletale. So he at least took Lisa's bluff seriously.

I don't think Worm ever really uses the term psychic past this though, so you could chalk it up to early installment weirdness.
Maybe Armsmaster was also messing with them. Probably not lying but he's also basically throwing their words back at them. Generally he wouldn't describe what he made like that.

Was meaning canon worm + wogs cause there's a few of those that get into psychics including how wildbow hates telepaths and speedsters so banned them from his work.

Was meaning canon worm + wogs cause there's a few of those that get into psychics including how wildbow hates telepaths and speedsters so banned them from his work.
Why does he hate telepaths? Speedsters are op so I can see why there but depending on how the telepath works the can be perfectly fine. Especially if they are the type that can be resisted by will.

Why does he hate telepaths? Speedsters are op so I can see why there but depending on how the telepath works the can be perfectly fine. Especially if they are the type that can be resisted by will.

He doesn't really say or if he does it wasn't in the one's I've seen it could be as simple as them being better than his chosen mouthpiece (Lisa).

I feel like a lot of food science would be up Joe's Alley, he already has a progress power that would let him have a ton of possible advancements of food

original German Fanta is one of the main proponents of this, it was literally food waste turned into a beverage

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ZZAsnbXOIbE

I can also see the extent food science affects what he cooks, he has a ton of heirloom varieties of foods, as well as extremely high power sweeteners

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfbrHPG73g4

honestly, the sugar industry might actually be one of the few that try to assassinate apeiron if he makes a perfect sweetener

like the superfoods they can create is insane

It's time for another omake.

This was inspired by a comment by ShadowArchon on the discord server.

XXX

The Fic Killer

XXX

-chapter start-

I sighed as I leaned back and relaxed in the chair. It was nice to get out and just relax.

This was a somewhat popular cafe, but the crowd seemed especially light today. I guess that was to be expected. After my fight with Scion last week and everything that happened since then, it seemed that everyone was in a bit of a shock.

It was still weird to think of Scion as an existential threat to the planet and one of the sources of passengers and thus powers. I guess after that revelation, even I needed some downtime.

Still, I guess I had truly earned it. Over the past week, my team and I had eliminated every S class threat on the planet. Earth Bet was finally free from all S class threats.

You know, other than my team and I, technically speaking.

Once again, the human element had taken much longer than any other challenge. Defeating an S class threat was easy, at least for us, but dealing with the damage they caused was a lot more difficult.

With all of that in the past, now came the task of helping humanity as a whole. It would take time, a lot of time, but with everything I could do, it was really possible. The future looked much brighter than anyone ever expected it would.

Suddenly, without warning, I heard the endbringer sirens sound. I had been purposely ignoring local data networks to relax, but with a thought, I linked up to both the local network and my workshop network to see what was happening.

'Leviathan?' I thought in disbelief. How is that possible? I already destroyed all of the ...

I blinked as I went through the enemies we had defeated in the last week, from Sleeper to Nilbog to the Simurgh and all of the other endbringers. To my surprise, I realized that no one had taken out Leviathan. All of the other endbringers had ended up attacking a city and been destroyed, sometimes simultaneously, but not Leviathan.

I blinked and focused back on the moment. Well, its not like this would be a challenge. I suppose my downtime would have to wait a bit.

-end chapter-

-end story-

XXX

...and the fic killer claims another one!

Please let the new chapter be from Lily's perspective I really like her character.

How familiar with canon worm are you? Cause she isn't really as good since she's extremely judgmental of others such as we see her first interactions with the Brockton Wards and she operates a strike system and once Sophia hits strike 3 she just get's dismissed as a possible dating option and someone to spend time with. Then there's all the craziness with jumping Skitter and putting a bolt into her shoulder deep enough it fuses to the bone with the specific stated aim of forcing her to go to the hospital for medical aid and all for the crime of having a causal conversation with Parian.

I mean. Without her power Lisa isn't especially smart. While she isn't actually stupid in general, she also doesn't seem to be very impressive even by real world standards. She's also definitely lacking in wisdom. Remember, thinker powers don't actually make people smarter or wiser even if people might be inclined to think they do.
That's somewhat complicated. Lisa is actually pretty smart generally even without her power's involvement. Additionally even when not actively using her power she also has picked up numerous skills including cold reading, hacking, social dynamics, profiling, and strategy. Thing is that they tend to be self taught or power taught which means lots of gaps (my power says X when Y happens, ergo X causes Y). Also even if it is true calling a thinker stupid will both piss them off and make them stronger.
I disagree tbh, by her feats Lisa holds a gun, she just not nearly as much of a sniper as she believes herself to be.
I think its more accurate to say that she has a deep seated anxiety about her shooting averages so she has a tendency to act like lucky shots are a matter of skill.
I think that a pretty easy defense for Vicky here is that Lisa before this point was a random no name villain who I actually wouldn't be surprised if she had never heard of before. She doesn't care about the conversation that much and hasn't seen anything that isn't easily explained by lots of research. As far as she can tell there's a decent chance Lisa doesn't even have a gun at all, toy or not. Lisa might not even have a thinker power, or one that's just not a social power. As far as Vicky knows Lisa could have a clairvoyance power that makes her extra aware of her surroundings or she could have in any of the other categories and Lisa is just being subtle.
So your defense of Victoria's intelligence is that she doesn't know what Lisa's power is so she shouldn't take Lisa seriously? In the paravers that seems... Unwise.
Even if Vicky knows Lisa has a social thinker power as far as she should be concerned Lisa was dumb for getting in this fight in the first place
Lisa didn't want to. She took the risk because Coil has a gun to her head and this was part of her plan to get away from him.
Attempting to use super social skills to fight a brute who casually goes through brick walls is dumb. Lisa is one of the most broadly applicable thinkers in the entire series, that plus her gun, plus Taylor being right there, plus Lisa figuring out Vicky's one weakness right then is the only reason Vicky didn't successfully arrest all of them.
Victoria has several weaknesses, any Undersider other then Lisa could have defeated Victoria, Taylor was only there because Amy was there and Amy was a hostage so Victoria was never going to get an arrest in the first place.

So your defense of Victoria's intelligence is that she doesn't know what Lisa's power is so she shouldn't take Lisa seriously? In the paravers that seems... Unwise.
I mean. Lisa is literally lying about what her power is in this scene. So not taking her seriously about what her power is would literally be the correct option. Especially because I bet lying about being a thinker is actually super common. It's one of the only power types with mo obvious effects, thus the easiest to fake.
Lisa didn't want to. She took the risk because Coil has a gun to her head and this was part of her plan to get away from him.
And Vicky has no reason to think this. The number of people who get pressganged to join a gang must be very large. The number of people who get pressganged to join a team of petty thieves must be border nonexistent. So as far as Vicky is concerned this random maybe social thinker decided all on her own that robbing this bank in broad daylight was a fine idea. Then robbing the bank had predictable consequences.
Victoria has several weaknesses, any Undersider other then Lisa could have defeated Victoria, Taylor was only there because Amy was there and Amy was a hostage so Victoria was never going to get an arrest in the first place.
Her weaknesses are also pretty hard to deal with. Regent might be able to do something, I'd be more inclined to think she'd try to charge him, he'd make her twitch and them he'd get splattered on accident. Grue might be able to run away, he can't punch fast enough to get past her shield. The reset is really fast, bordering on instant from our perspective. If Bitch gets really, really lucky she might get past the shield, maybe. Remember, getting part her shield is hard enough that how it actually works is a secret. That means almost no one else has managed to get past it over Vicky's years as a very active cape. Also, if Amy gets skin contact Vicky also wins. Delaying helps them because Amy could get lucky and wins herself.

Plus it helps that in this situation there's just about no way Lisa and Taylor seriously hurt Amy because hurting your hostage is actually a lose condition for them, if you hurt the hostage too much say goodbye to leverage. Taking a hostage like this is a panic tactic and almost never ends well for the hostage taker. They may, possibly, get able to slowly back away. That's basically it, that's the only situation where taking a hostage like this ends well. If you need to let go at any point you are suddenly a much more dangerous person who needs to go down, now. Really Vicky just needs to care about them panicking right now, as long as the three Undersiders outside lost to entire Wards team she wins. So she either needs to get them to surrender in this very, very bad situation they are in then take out everyone outside, or she needs to wait for the Wards to win so she has allies and then get them to surrender when it's 8 on 2.

Last edited:

Lisa also just doesn't like Vicky and is kind of extremely unfair to her such as the she triggered cause she got fouled in a basketball match when Vicky's pov in ward later makes clear there was a ton more stuff going on. Even with just the fact being that her team was 1 point behind in the final minute and as she was taking what would have been the winning shot that girl who had been harassing her since before the game started slammed her down to the ground in basketball a no contact sport so it's a bigger deal than Lisa made out.

Lisa's also basically the only one other than Rachael's dogs who could have handled Vicky at that point cause her gun drops the shield even if using it like that is apparently only narrowly ok by cape standards cause it's put away right after.

I wonder if Joe can restore the Manniquin back into Dr Sphere by doing force therapy on his brain I know the Manniquin would want to destroy everything that is his old self but if we can force him back into his old ego I can see a lot of things being done in Joe workshop (for his safety from simurgh) hell Joe can bring Sphere family back from the dead just to make him happy

Joe can reverse time. He can get Alan Gramme back by rewinding his brain back to before the Simurgh.

As for his family... Probably best to keep the man in temporal stasis until the timeyoinking process is perfected.

Actually they might find out about garments world ,she comes from the hit movie dodgeball

Globo gym was shown having a vitamin fridge in the first comercial of the movie, they seem like the type to have their own brand of foods and protein powder

The movie would probably resonate with Joe ironically enough, as a member of a small time gym, Aisha too

I mean. Lisa is literally lying about what her power is in this scene. So not taking her seriously about what her power is would literally be the correct option. Especially because I bet lying about being a thinker is actually super common. It's one of the only power types with mo obvious effects, thus the easiest to fake.
Not believing what Lisa says is one thing. Not taking seriously an opponent who is likely powered is exceptionally foolish. Lisa almost certainly has powers. Those powers likely have a thinker element. The former is indicated by the fact that she is here. The later is indicate by the fact that she isn't fighting yet.
So as far as Vicky is concerned this random maybe social thinker decided all on her own that robbing this bank in broad daylight was a fine idea. Then robbing the bank had predictable consequences
That's making assumptions. What Victoria does not know is much greater then what she does. Lisa is not the Undersider's leader. She could easily have been overruled, desperate for some reason, posses complex/arbitrary limits on power use or have some unknown goal. Immediately defaulting to "the enemy is incompetent" is foolish.
Her weaknesses are also pretty hard to deal with. Regent might be able to do something, I'd be more inclined to think she'd try to charge him, he'd make her twitch and them he'd get splattered on accident
Or she'd face-plant into the floor. He can do more then make people twitch. He just usually doesn't cause of the blowback.
Grue might be able to run away, he can't punch fast enough to get past her shield. The reset is really fast, bordering on instant from our perspective
However if she's blinded rapid movements are dangerous. If indoors (which she was) then she can't easily escape without hitting a wall or roof.
If Bitch gets really, really lucky she might get past the shield, maybe. Remember, getting part her shield is hard enough that how it actually works is a secret
Rachel defeats Victoria in a two on one matchup later in Worm canon. Also although she was injured its implied the Undersiders escaped in the timeline where the two fought. Victoria's shield mechanics are something she actively works to keep secret. IMO the way she does so is quite foolish since implying invincibility just makes people look for new ways to get through.
Also, if Amy gets skin contact Vicky also wins
Skin contact with people who wear skin covering costumes that involves dragging a noncombatant into combat.
Plus it helps that in this situation there's just about no way Lisa and Taylor seriously hurt Amy because hurting your hostage is actually a lose condition for them
They don't want to hurt Amy they want to escape. Hurting Amy is a loose condition for everyone.
Really Vicky just needs to care about them panicking right now,
Which her behavior did not help prevent and in fact increased the odds of.
as long as the three Undersiders outside lost to entire Wards team she wins
Which did not happen.
Lisa also just doesn't like Vicky and is kind of extremely unfair to her such as the she triggered cause she got fouled in a basketball match when Vicky's pov in ward later makes clear there was a ton more stuff going on
Lisa was operating based on what publicly available information existed. Victoria's trigger, does in fact, remain the easiest on record.

Last edited:
Well Joe got a perk that sorta copies cartoon powers but not the full extent but it looks like it from an outsider pov
Nah, not only because no-one sane in universe would like to compare one of the strongest capes to a literal cartoon, but also because Apeiron's powers never shown to largely work on Rule of Funny (Even if Simple Scientific Solutions can do that), only on Rule of Cool. Less "falling only when notices the height" and more "jump on missiles to get higher".

In a more comedic setting, maybe it would be closer to Looney Tunes (I thought Girl Genius, but looney there is so normal, that Joe's powers will just add new tunes), but in here Celestial Forge manifesting closer to action anime.

Random thoughts:

• it is possible that the Teigu power from akame ga kill also works with the delivery power, since he will have much more dangerous creatures available to him, im sure that a headband made from a giant sandworm could give you foresight, amongst other potential creatures

• there is also the possibility that he can discover that Armsmaster power is actually armsmaster power, as in he orders products, and it comes from things exclusive to brockton bay, that don't exist in other places

• it leads to a ton of cultural content, basically you can discover a lot about every single perk based on the context, and use that information to build better things based on the actual story of the universe, not only by dating the time and location of the foods, it helps you discover a lot of stuff

• there are tests you can do to the food to determine origin (cesium-137 determines if the food is from a world with nuclear weapons, Carbon - 14 determines the age of the food item in relation with the sun, carbon - 12 & 13 tests determine if the food is fungal or was all grown in the same atmosphere, DNA sequencing can determine what the genetic point of divergence is for a crop, determine the geographical locality of that food, alongside strontium being able to determine where a creature grew up, if you get a pigs head or something you can even determine if it was imported or not due to the differential between the teeth and the bones) and so those can be linked together

• a lot of foods will also lead to incorrect assumptions, for instance Skyrim may seem at first glance to be a medieval or post Columbian exchange world, but in reality it probably is dismissed as a simulated world due to the lack of any radioactive isotope or being apparently only 10,000-20,000 years younger than the local sun, which in a way is more accurate to Skyrim than the average locals perspective if the godhead theory is true, similarly Mad Max may reveal the content of the Apocalypse based on the atmospheric data, either being due to nuclear war or global warming and that it was in the Australian outback

Nah, not only because no-one sane in universe would like to compare one of the strongest capes to a literal cartoon, but also because Apeiron's powers never shown to largely work on Rule of Funny (Even if Simple Scientific Solutions can do that), only on Rule of Cool. Less "falling only when notices the height" and more "jump on missiles to get higher".

In a more comedic setting, maybe it would be closer to Looney Tunes (I thought Girl Genius, but looney there is so normal, that Joe's powers will just add new tunes), but in here Celestial Forge manifesting closer to action anime.
I don't think that anyone in this universe is sane.
Random thoughts:

• it is possible that the Teigu power from akame ga kill also works with the delivery power, since he will have much more dangerous creatures available to him, im sure that a headband made from a giant sandworm could give you foresight, amongst other potential creatures

• there is also the possibility that he can discover that Armsmaster power is actually armsmaster power, as in he orders products, and it comes from things exclusive to brockton bay, that don't exist in other places

• it leads to a ton of cultural content, basically you can discover a lot about every single perk based on the context, and use that information to build better things based on the actual story of the universe, not only by dating the time and location of the foods, it helps you discover a lot of stuff

• there are tests you can do to the food to determine origin (cesium-137 determines if the food is from a world with nuclear weapons, Carbon - 14 determines the age of the food item in relation with the sun, carbon - 12 & 13 tests determine if the food is fungal or was all grown in the same atmosphere, DNA sequencing can determine what the genetic point of divergence is for a crop, determine the geographical locality of that food, alongside strontium being able to determine where a creature grew up, if you get a pigs head or something you can even determine if it was imported or not due to the differential between the teeth and the bones) and so those can be linked together

• a lot of foods will also lead to incorrect assumptions, for instance Skyrim may seem at first glance to be a medieval or post Columbian exchange world, but in reality it probably is dismissed as a simulated world due to the lack of any radioactive isotope or being apparently only 10,000-20,000 years younger than the local sun, which in a way is more accurate to Skyrim than the average locals perspective if the godhead theory is true, similarly Mad Max may reveal the content of the Apocalypse based on the atmospheric data, either being due to nuclear war or global warming and that it was in the Australian outback
I also believe that Joe got himself several forms of postcognition or some such? Or at least several partial forms of it?

Does anyone think it's funny that Joe actually is the type of person to get back at annoying drivers? I remembered the scene where he made the guys horn get stuck. It's so petty and really helps remind us that he's human.

Last edited:
Back