Brockton's Celestial Forge (Worm/Jumpchain)

Lisa is leaving Dinah in her situation (which she IIRC believes to be that of a political hostage)
That is the problem that makes the two decisions non-comparable. Joe made his decisions about Bonesaw victims while knowing full well what is happening to them, having a solid understanding on how to help them and plaining to do so. Informed decision. Lisa made her "decision" about Dinah while knowing nothing about what is happening to her (just making barely founded assumptions about why Coil kidnapped her), not even thinking about how to help her or planing to do so (just maybe assuming that Joe will help her, despite multiple times concluding that she can't predict what he would do in any given situation). Uninformed not-even-dicision-she-just-did-not-make-one.

More so, not knowing shit explicitly makes Lisa's situation worthy of judgment. Simply because she took responsibility and failed it. She was the one to ask Joe to not look into Coil and leave all Coil business to her, she is the one who despite taking such task failed to even try to look into who is Coil's new thinker (who by the way was used to secure loyalties of Travellers, Lisa's actual worry) or what exactly he needs that girl they accidentally helped him kidnap for. In this situation, she can not take sanctuary in ignorance, for it is what most abhorrent about it. If Joe made a harsh decision in regard to captured by S9 capes, then Lisa failed to do even that.

Also, there is another facet to the two situations that divide them even farther. Joe is the only one who can help S9 victims, anyone else would have to abandon them or grant them mercy of death, but Joe can help them and plans to do so, later. Joe is the sole way to save them, actively making decisions to not help them yet, that what he is in their situation. Meanwhile, Lisa in NOT the only one who can help Dinah, anyone with info that Coil has her can do the same, and she did not plan to do anything to help her. More so, she actively holds this information only to herself, not sharing in any way with anyone, making her responsible for the fact that other people did not use this info to help Dinah. Lisa is an obstruction to saving Dinah, actively making decision that stop others from helping her, that what she is in their situation. The only one who can help someone but chooses to hold onto that help is not the same as one who chooses to stop others from helping someone. There are entirely different moral and practical quandaries involved. Lisa's and Joe's situations about as parallel as Tower of Pisa and vertical line.

Also-also, I still have problems with your "eh let them murder and torture people until they reach Brockton Bay" line. What the fuck was that? A joke? But those supposed to have at least some truth and be, I don't know, funny? That was just gross misdescription of events of the story.

Last edited:
Wasn't Gully... already super tall? I don't get it.
Gully's Case 53 form was like 7'5", with a hunched back, uneven shoulders, slightly melted-looking face, and so on. Her new forms are "powers on" 8'6" amazon, with both curves beyond compare and muscles to shred cheese, and "powers off" 4'11" young woman, unable to reach the middle shelf, much less the top one.

Last edited:
Her new forms are "powers on" 8'6" amazon, with both curves beyond compare and muscles to shred cheese
Nope. On AO3 people were comparing Gully to She-Hulk and that what Lord had to say about it:
She-Hulk's appearance has varied considerably over the years, and not just with respect to the bulked out depiction you've gotten in some recent comics (War of the Realms probably had the worst examples of that). Even ignoring that kind of extreme, across the run of the character you have depictions that are much too muscular or curvy in comparison to Gully. That picture is a bit too muscular for Gully, but the kind of build you saw from She-Hulk in the original Sensational She-Hulk comics (the 1989-1994 run) would probably be pretty close to what Gully ended up with in her larger form. Do keep in mind that Gully is 8 foot 6 inches, while She-Hulk is 'only' 6 foot 7 inches. A similar figure, scaled up to that degree, makes a bit more of an impression.

So, not exceptionally muscular or curvy, just very tall and proportional. Also, according to different WoG, not amazon:
Gully's larger form has muscle tone, but it's more on the level of a fitness influencer than what would be considered Amazonian. Of course, she's actually much stronger than her build would indicate, even if that build isn't particularly lacking to begin with.

Also-also, guess I should provide the picture Lord talks about in the first WoG for comparison of what is "a bit too muscular":

Nope. On AO3 people were comparing Gully to She-Hulk and that what Lord had to say about it:

So, not exceptionally muscular or curvy, just very tall and proportional. Also, according to different WoG, not amazon:

Also-also, guess I should provide the picture Lord talks about in the first WoG for comparison of what is "a bit too muscular":
Ah, so closer to this then:
Poor Tecton, he really isn't going to know what to do with himself…

That is the problem that makes the two decisions non-comparable. Joe made his decisions about Bonesaw victims while knowing full well what is happening to them, having a solid understanding on how to help them and plaining to do so.
Do you mean the past victims they intend to heal/fix after the Nine show up in Brockton?
It definitely sucks to be them for the interim, but if the goal is to minimize casualties then waiting for a casus belli is the right move.

You see, this is Earth Bet and it's full of raging idiots.
Apeiron's team isn't quite able to deal with the mass hysteria of everybody panicking at the same time (yet).

Poor Tecton, he really isn't going to know what to do with himself…
Also given how tall her Changer form is her boobs are gonna be level with his head.

The Glomp will be unimaginable.

Reminder that Jack was one of the very first parahumans and thus Cauldron has been under Jack's influence for the majority of its existence.
They also gave powers to Mama Mathers, so it's a wonder the Fallen haven't taken them over yet.

not knowing shit explicitly makes Lisa's situation worthy of judgment
People can only make decisions based on the information they have.

If you would like to judge people based on information they do not have, why are you not also currently blaming Joe for not having completely circumvented Lisa to discover and deal with the situation?
Also-also, I still have problems with your "eh let them murder and torture people until they reach Brockton Bay" line. What the fuck was that? A joke? But those supposed to have at least some truth and be, I don't know, funny? That was just gross misdescription of events of the story.
I think you may be taking it stronger than I intended it, but it really does feel like the initial decision to let the 9 continue unopposed didn't have the same level of consideration as the change to "no more death". There's a level of...deliberate detachment or excuse-making to that initial decision, and once he really considered / got hit with what the initial decision meant, he reversed it.

....too many words for me to want to go back and reread at the moment. What point in time did Doormat get reversed? I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I suppose it's good to know that Joe remains human and with all the failings and hypocrisies that brings. Given there were multiple days of the approach to the Slaughterhouse 9 being "eh let them murder and torture people until they reach Brockton Bay", and even now the Slaughterhouse 9 have current captive(s?) living in torment and no action is being taken to rescue them....well.

From any sort of objective view of the situation Joe really has no ground to stand on to take "this kid was being tortured but I didn't actually know about it" as some sort of major violation, but it's very human to take offense at what someone else does - especially if it's something you don't like (but need to make excuses for) that you have done yourself.

It's more than a bit surprising that he hasn't even looked into the situation surrounding Coil - even to the extent of "Survey, please look into this, but don't tell me unless I need to know" as with parahuman identities. I thought he had supposedly fixed the Doormat Disadvantage.
This was... a WHOLE thing in the thread, bud. And it's been gone over several times in the story that the Nine have been living in their own little fake world since they were first tracked down.

If you would like to judge people based on information they do not have, why are you not also currently blaming Joe for not having completely circumvented Lisa to discover and deal with the situation?

I think you may be taking it stronger than I intended it, but it really does feel like the initial decision to let the 9 continue unopposed didn't have the same level of consideration as the change to "no more death". There's a level of...deliberate detachment or excuse-making to that initial decision, and once he really considered / got hit with what the initial decision meant, he reversed it.

....too many words for me to want to go back and reread at the moment. What point in time did Doormat get reversed? I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Dude. At no point did he deliberately let them keep getting people.

Survey tracked them down based on data from their disappeances and they were immediately isolated. The fakes were added in later to prevent them getting suspicious of not meeting anyone for ages.

You're insisting on a version of events that never happened, and has already been debated to death in the thread both when it happened and many times since. It's a rotten horse and you walk in and start beating it again.

That's why people are getting snippy with you.

The difference is Lisa is supposed to be looking into that stuff FOR JOE and she's NOT. That's the difference in the situations, joe DELEGATED to tattletale, as a result he's actively avoiding interfering with her investigation.

and has already been debated to death in the thread both when it happened and many times since
Can't say I'm surprised, given the age of the thread - I most certainly did not read through all nearly two thousand pages of comments when finding this. Given recent responses have been cherry-picking bits rather than engaging the point I'm making (I'm sure at least some of that is inability to get my point across), I'd pretty much decided to stop responding anyway - with that added, okay I'm done and won't say any more. (shrug)

Before I go into specific counterpoints, I do want to say that this has been one of the more engaging and civil debates I've seen on just about any fic. I really appreciate you taking the time to lay out your thoughts. :)

Edit: and of course the debate is dropped... ah well, at least I got my thoughts out of my head

She is not responsible for Coil's actions - any aid she provides to Coil is under duress and in fear of her life.

I don't think anyone has stated she is responsible for Coil's actions - she is responsible for her own actions.

Up to a certain point, you could legitimately argue that she had no options - everything her power gave her indicated she would literally be killed (or worse) if she acted directly against Coil or tried to run.

The "certain point" that changed is when Joe became powerful enough (and Lisa knows he's powerful enough) with enough backing and support to do whatever he wants and make it stick. She could have gotten away from Coil and under Joe's protection, which even Lisa would admit is a better position to be in.

Her decision to deliberately stonewall Joe because she wants to find some way to get her "perfect outcome" (where she is in control, got her own revenge, etc.) is 100% her own choice, no coercion involved.

A direct consequence of that choice is that a young girl has been kidnapped and is kept in captivity by a supervillain, a situation she helped create and is now deliberately prolonging for her own direct, personal benefit.

You also allude to the quagmire that is the conflict drive, shard meddling, trigger-based behaviors, and psychological traumas as reasons why Lisa (and by extension any parahuman) is not really responsible for their own decisions and can't be expected to even be capable of making good choices. Setting aside that plenty of parahumans are still heroes and are still capable of wise, or at least non-selfish, decision making despite equivalent problems, you would also have to give the S9 the same leeway since they (most of them) also must deal with those same factors.

Ironically Coil as a Cauldron cape is not dealing with the shard-based aspects of that.

In my case, I reject that particular premise and evaluate each parahuman as I would evaluate any human being, on their actions and the reasoning and intent of those actions.

And thus I still disagree with your stance that there are "strong parallels" between Lisa and Joe.

Lisa is "delaying action" because she can't conceive someone else is capable of handling it better (ego/arrogance) and because she wants to manipulate the situation to her own benefit (greed or revenge, or both).

Joe is "delaying action" because he has other priorities (such as rescuing bomb victims, keeping the city from collapsing into anarchy, providing aid to refugees/victims, building up his personal power to deal with existential threats, etc.) and has still taken steps to a) keep the situation from getting worse and b) solve it once and for all.

Lisa is ignoring the victim / allowing the victim to continue suffering because she just doesn't care. I don't think either of us believe that Dinah's situation is a significant factor in her thought process whatsoever.

Joe is ignoring the victim / allowing the victim to continue suffering because a) acting immediately could cause increased suffering elsewhere (international panic possibly leading to a parahuman war) and b) he recognizes that Murder Rat's situation (which he is closely monitoring) is unlikely to get worse in the time the S9 has left.

To use the Trolley Problem analogy:

Lisa drove the van that delivered Dinah to the tracks. She didn't tie her up personally and she didn't kidnap her in the first place, but she damn well knows she's on the tracks and she was involved in getting her there. She chooses to drive away and not tell anyone about Dinah because it doesn't suit her interests.

Joe (via Survey) found out exactly where the S9 were setting up their own series of Trolley Problems and went out of his way to replace any future victims with convincing fakes. The S9 are happily tying "people" up to the tracks and making other "people" decide whether or not to pull the lever, but there are no new victims.

She also fears that will result in him getting nommed by Noelle and considers that a catastrophic outcome.

Absolutely agreed that she fears this. Using this as an excuse to keep Joe excluded completely is a combination of her own arrogance/ego and her completely lack of respect for Joe as a person and a cape.

She knows better than most just what kind of technological BS Joe can whip out, both because she has more access and because of the nature of her power.

That she thinks Joe's only option is to charge up to Noelle and punch face (especially with Fleet and Survey, that she knows exist) is almost beyond arrogance into deliberate, willful ignorance.

She could explain to Joe what Noelle can do and easily guarantee that it doesn't happen... but ultimately that doesn't suit her interests or her ego.

She doesn't just want Coil taken down, she wants to take him down herself. That she actively works to prevent other people from taking him down indicates that she values revenge even over her own freedom and safety.

There's a level of...deliberate detachment or excuse-making to that initial decision <about Joe and the S9>

This reply is already pretty long, so I'll keep this part short.

There's a level of detachment because he is detached. It is, in a very real, meaningful, significant way, not his problem.

That he chooses to make it his problem once he has the information and power to act makes him heroic. His "inaction" prior to that choice does not make him a villain.

If you believe otherwise, you create a Catch-22 quagmire where your choice to do A (for example, work a job to make money to provide for your family) is simultaneously a choice NOT to do B-Z, which would include becoming a police officer and patrolling the streets, becoming a soldier and serving your country, becoming a doctor and helping people's health, becoming a researcher and finding the cure for cancer, etc. etc.

Everyone has priorities and everyone makes choices about what to do with their time and energy. The fact that my choices do not directly serve the interests of people I have never met and have no relationship to does not represent a character flaw or a selfish decision.

Last edited:
Are we still on "Why Joe wouldnt solve every problem ever?" line?

Why Superman cant solve every problem ever even when he totally can?

Joe can too for sure. Easily enough even. He would just have to, you know, make 180 degree turn on his personality and conquer the world (whether he is officially declared Emperor of Mankind or in all but name is irrelevant, really) because otherwise people wont let him do things properly.

Declaring that victims of S9 suffering because of Joe is the same as attributing to him every single death in the world that happened after he got afterlife and/or immortality tech.

They also made Grey Boy. Cauldron's list of mistakes is long and impressive.
You can defend that one a little bit. You don't know for sure what's going to come out of a vial, and they did then arrange for him to be removed by GU. Granted, that was just because he was starting to take more capes out of play than they liked, but it's still something.

You can defend that one a little bit. You don't know for sure what's going to come out of a vial, and they did then arrange for him to be removed by GU. Granted, that was just because he was starting to take more capes out of play than they liked, but it's still something.

Not really since they considered him a potential silver bullet and 2nd best asset against scion and were aware he had some mental thing meaning he'd fully honestly answer any question asked of him and thought it was a good idea to send him to infiltrate the nine.

Not really since they considered him a potential silver bullet and 2nd best asset against scion and were aware he had some mental thing meaning he'd fully honestly answer any question asked of him and thought it was a good idea to send him to infiltrate the nine.
How bout anyone else? Maybe someone without such an inconvenience mental quirk? I mean, it would have failed regardless. But still. Actually, if they could have gotten a sane Mama Mathers it would be perfect.

Like I said, it's barely so much as half a point in their favor, but doing at least some of the bare minimum of cleaning up the mess that they made is better than nothing.

Edit: The water already overflowed onto the floor, but they eventually turned off the sink. Now, if someone could just take of the bathtub over there that's still going.

Last edited:
■​
Welcome to the Parahumans Online message boards.
You are currently logged in, Placeholder_User
You are viewing:
• Threads you have replied to
• AND Threads that have new replies
• OR private message conversations with new replies
• Thread OP is displayed.
• Ten posts per page
• Last ten messages in private message history.
• Threads and private messages are ordered chronologically.
■​
♦ Topic: Garment's Gala
In: Boards ► Fashion ► Events ► Garment's Gala
Brocktonite03
(Original Poster) (Veteran Member)
Posted On Apr 27th 2011:
Ok, so I know that most of you have already seen it, but for those of you who have been living under a rock, the Garment's Gala was one of the craziest events to come out of Brockton Bay recently, and that is saying something.

Starting with the charity portions of the event, the Gala was successful at raising over a hundred thousand dollars on singular items alone, and the speeches and videos were… wow. They really hit hard. Mayor Christner's speech was heartbreaking, to say the least. You could feel the emotion pouring out of every word as he talked about the city's struggles, especially with the recent disasters that have hit Brockton Bay. It wasn't just about the devastation itself, but how the city has had to rebuild again and again.

He didn't sugarcoat things either—Christner acknowledged the issues with funding, the corruption, and how hard it's been to keep morale up. It was one of those rare moments where a politician wasn't speaking in vague terms or dodging the truth. You could see it in his face: the city's in rough shape, and it felt like the Gala was his way of telling everyone, "Look, this is what we're up against, and we need your help." There were definitely some teary eyes in the crowd, not gonna lie.

Then there was Garment's video montage. Yeah, it was polished—no surprise there—but what really stood out was how personal it felt. It wasn't just some highlight reel of her projects or a glorified ad for her brand. Instead, it focused on the relief efforts she's been involved in, the people she's helped, and, honestly, some of the footage really got to me. Seeing entire families displaced, streets that used to be bustling now reduced to rubble... it really drove home why this event was so important.

Other speeches followed, but I have to give a shout-out to Uppercrust. His speech was more of a rallying call—he didn't waste any time laying out the numbers, the donations, the goals. Classic Uppercrust, of course, but what struck me was how proud he seemed. Not just of the money raised, but of the community effort. He pointed out that it wasn't just Garment or some wealthy patrons throwing their money around—it was everyone. Regular people contributing what they could, volunteers working behind the scenes, even small businesses donating services.

By the end of it, the room was buzzing. It was clear that the event wasn't just about fashion or a flashy show; it was about the city's survival and rebuilding in a way that gave people hope. And in a city like Brockton Bay, that's priceless.

Wow. Garment's final display was something else! For those who weren't there, imagine standing in a massive hall where the entire décor—ribbons, banners, and drapes—suddenly came alive. It wasn't just a random cape showing off. Garment demonstrated range, precision, and control that few Shakers can match. She controlled every inch of fabric, turning the space into a swirling tapestry of color and movement.

(Showing page 1 of 8)

►FashionFascist
Replied On Apr 27th 2011:​

Blah Blah Blah everyone died.​

Now can we get to the real crime?​

She combined plaid with polka-dots!​

►DriveBySpeculator

Yes, but it worked!​

I mean, that can only be a parahuman power to coordinate things.​

Putting together an outfit.​

Putting together an event.​

Putting together plaids and polka-dots.​

It's all the same power!​

►HatOnACat

I'm not sure I would call it "combined"​

One angle made the pattern look plaid, one angle made polka dots.​

It was a neat effect, but not really a combined look.​

►FashionFascist

No matter what it was, it haunts my nightmares.​

I'm seeing clowns mashing together whenever I close my eyes.​

I'm just hoping Lethe makes everyone forget the show.​

►Blueshift (Verified Cape) (Verified Rogue) (Verified Delivery Boy) (Verified 'Thirty Minutes or it's Free!') (Verified Verified) (Verified Too Many Tags)

Man, that show was something else. I mean the sheer effort and coordination needed to get it set up in only a few days is insane and they pulled it off like that. Just, wow. The video has nothing on what it was like to see it in person. Food was great too. Can we talk about the food? I don't know who they got to cater for it but they knocked it out of the park. I took as many leftovers as I could carry and I plan to eat them for the rest of the week! I wish I brought my costume so I could carry more on my harness, the one time I show up in my civies...​

►Fatman

Am I the only one who noticed the thing between Ms. Militia & Shuffle going on?​

►TigBits

Gully has been wonderful help and it was great to see her at the Gala.​

►Ringer

Fatman, as much as I enjoy watching them go 10 rounds in a Ring, I see it more as political stuff.

Anyway, who is Uppercrust's newest bodyguard? I recognise Yellowjack.​

►Thess

Anyone seen New Wave? I thought they would be all over this.
End of Page. 1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8

(Showing page 2 of 8)

►MagicMusicMan

The music was awesome.

Brocktonite03, if anything, was underselling those speeches... Those speeches went hard.

I don't really fashion but I gave a Hamilton.​

►BlackHawkUp

Geez, I wouldn't be surprised if this one event brought in more money than the Bay's entire yearly GDP. I haven't seen an event that size since New York got flattened.​

►GodofChicken

Who cares about the clothes, anyone got the number of that catering company!?​

►MooredandBored

Guys I only meant to watch the first ten minutes of the livestream but I ended up watching the entire thing! How? I don't even like fashion or big fancy galas!​

►DisinterestedCougar

I'm with @GodOfChicken, that was some of the best food I've ever had and it was buffet sandwiches! Whoever made them is the real star of that show!​

►LuckyLuchas

Personally, what surprised me both was that this whole event somehow didn't end up as a total snobfest. Which, given how our so-called betters have been acting since this whole shitshow started is a miracle and a half.​

►GodofChicken

@DisinterestedCougar
I never knew a ham and cheese sandwich could taste that good. I wouldn't be surprised if they roasted their own pig and made their own damn cheese.​

►MrsKrabs

So anyone know what they are going to do with the massive banner? Because that thing should be in a museum somewhere. Never mind how amazing it looks (because it does look amazing) but just the sheer amount of skill and effort that would have gone into making it is beyond unreal!​

►BonZinante

Well, the place it'd usually be put into is kind of a whole bunch of rubble. Which, thinking about it, is a good thing, because placing it among literal trash would be simply disgraceful.​

►MrsKrabs

Hell no! It would be a travesty if it was placed in the Snores-berg!
End of Page. 1, 2, 3, 4 ... 6, 7, 8

(Showing page 3 of 8)

►MrTomatoHead

Maybe they can put it up in the lobby down at Town Hall? It would take up an entire wall, but it would look better than the patchy paint job it has now.​

►Mind_Goblin

Wouldn't it be better to have the PRT or Protectate hold onto it? They've done that before for valuable art pieces and that tapestry could be worth Millions!​

►DentalDenier

@Mind_Goblin Unfortunately, since Garment is an independent you get into weird legal gray areas around 'Cape Materials' and stuff, I don't know the specifics (occasionally there are no specifics, given the haste and vagueness of a lot of it) but NEPA-5 kind of destroyed a lot of faith in the PRT and their associate's willingness to financially support or enable capes in business. Rouges get a sort of soft pass if they're not actively causing problems (because there's usually something more worrying then a Tinker or Thinker trying to sell minor PowerTech on the side), but it's very, very rare to have any kind of active help or support for non-PRT affiliates. That they showed up at all is more a sign that they desperately need the local-PR, but... Well, Garment kinda stole any chance at an impression beyond 'they're trying but it sure isn't good enough'. I could see them taking it, but holding it in good faith? Well, *gestures to their current mess* I think their current state of affairs says enough.

Still, if that wasn't gonna sell for millions, I'd probably put in a bid already, but... Again, her previous items speak for themselves. Have you seen how much unopened Letter-Clothes sell for? Or even opened ones? Turns out volunteering for free gets you an absurd paycheck if you simply work for Garment. I suspect her next volunteer recruitment will require a screening process of pretty high intensity. 'Cause even if you don't want a massive payout, the people who kept their outfits constantly brag how comfy they are. Still no idea how none of them have gotten mugged.​

►Magister

@DentalDenier It's probably best for the tapestry if it's placed in the Town Hall lobby. I wouldn't trust the Brockton Bay PRT with anything so valuable. Also, isn't the tapestry's subject Brockton Bay? Can you think of a more appropriate picture for the Brockton Bay Town Hall?​

►Ghosboy

Huh, this is usually the point where I'd expect some PR-T mouthpiece shilling like their life (and more importantly, their 6-digit paycheck) depends on it about how they are the obvious choice for dealing with parahuman anything and how obviously all right-thinking Patriotic citizens should trust them to protect their rights and freedoms, or something to that effect.​

►ManInBlack (Verified PRT Agent)

While there has been some talk of the PRT taking possession of the tapestry, the fact is there really isn't anywhere in Headquarters that it would fit. We would have to ship it to New York for it to be properly displayed, but since it was made at an event for Brockton Bay, and is about Brockton Bay, that option isn't gaining a lot of steam. If it goes up in Town Hall or not would be a matter for the Director, Mayor Christner, and the owners of the Regency Center to decide.​

►BlackHawkUp

So de we have any hard numbers on just how much money the event brought in? There were a lot of big names that showed up for the live event, never mind the names that purchased items by call in. Considering the quality of the items for sale, I'm guessing it would have cleared ten million easy.​

►Undervale6482
Replied On Apr 27th 2011:
@BlackHawkUp you also have to consider the impact that the non monetary donations had. Turning money into goods and services is pretty hard in a wartorn area, and Brockton Bay is certainly on it's way there - if it isn't already. While no doubt straight cash will be appreciated, raw manpower and goods are almost certainly more immediately useful.

And given how quickly things seem to be changing... The money might not even have a chance to be used before it's rendered irrelevant. Just a depressing, but unfortunately plausible thought.​

► TextileTextureTester
Ten bucks to nothing that tapastry would make a killer blanket. I'd love to fall asleep next to... *Checks pictures again*...

The original fight and flight of The Teeth? A bit on the nose and morbid but if it's half as comfortable as her other stuff...​

►DemetriusDonavan (Veteran Brocktanite)

@ManInBlack I'm glad the PRT isn't going to take it, I'm not exactly pleased it was even considered as an option... What would have/is the logic behind taking it? Isn't it just some fabric? Garment makes clothes, which are hardly a hazardous substance.
End of Page. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

(Showing page 4 of 8)

►DriveBySpeculator

@DemetriusDonavan I believe the reasoning was that the PRT are responsible for any Parahuman crimes and oddball fallout from them.

You know, Stabbing with Intent to Knit, Grand Tapestry, Fly By Stitching, Crimes Against Fashion​

All those very important things they spend their time doing which makes them too busy to fight Villains.​

►ManInBlack (Verified PRT Agent)

@DemetriusDonovan While I cannot confirm the exact reasoning, as I am no where near high enough up the food chain to know for sure, I'm guessing it is just because it was Parahuman produced. Anything a parahuman makes, especially using their powers, is considered TinkerTech and should be treated as such until confirmed otherwise.

If Squealer built a classic car and donated it to charity, we would for sure confiscate it for testing until we were certain that it would not pose a danger to the populace. Garment has made and donated enough things however, that this banner is being looked at as just another Garment Gift.​

►BlackHawkUp

@Undervale6482 That is true, and wasn't something I considered. I really hope the money goes to helping the city, even if most of the clean up is done by the time they can do anything with it. Brockton needs all the help it can get! Does anyone have numbers on the amount of manpower, and what that would cost normally, that went into the event? I am incredibly curious just how much effort went into it, especially on such short notice.​

►MrDocker

Damn... Hot Lawyer has it going on.​

►MyLitteNightmare

Her little sister is adorable.​

►GossipNose

She was only a model because the original one couldn't make it.​

►Mavenista

Never you mind about the tapestry, what about THE DRESS?!?​

►HiddenDepths

Ayo, the fashion houses are all agog. They never considered locations and their histories as a style. Garment's a real trend-setter that way.

...and, yes, they're all obsessed with THE DRESS.​

►Bagrat (The Guy in the Know) (Veteran Member)

For anyone who is wondering how much the gala raised, in both monetary and non-monetary goods, you just have to look at Garment's website. Delphine Mertens, AKA Hot Lawyer, has apparently made it her own personal goal to document everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, about the gala so nobody can say that Garment is committing charity fraud.

Not that mind you, given how much funds she's apparently capable of raising on short notice, anyone ever doubts that she has everything she already needs as it is. Despite having been only asking for several weeks and being mute, Garment already has a full support team.

On that note about Hot Lawyer though... Word on the vine is that you should NEVER call Ms. Mertens that in person, not that anybody has dared to my knowledge. She may be pretty to the eyes, but she already has a fierce reputation to be reckoned with if you actually interact with her.​

►That1Time

Hot Lawyer is still hot but not Survey hot.

(Showing page 5 of 8)

►uNpOssiBLEnglisHskiLLs

Ugg... Ignoring the objectification, how does go about getting to see the Tapestry?​

►Hyborean Mage

You must undertake a perilous quest. I warn you now, no easy feat for you must behold beauty and not let it consume you.​

►Mr. Spider

Volunteers of the Gala, what stuff didn't make it into the live-stream?​

►PRiceIsNice

Why does it need tomove anywhere? Feels perfect where it is, andi doubt the regent center would want to close there doors to the pirce?

But ifit has to go anywhere town hall fits. I just wory it will loose impact when moved

Garment is amazing and I hope any lucky guy or girl gets to experience hugs from her in person not just in cosy sweaters lol​

►Capefan34

Bruh nobody is survey hot. That is unfair to the hottest lawyer.​

►UnsleepingAgenT

WAKE UP PEOPLE! THE CHARITY IS A COVERUP FOR THE CELESTIAL FORGE'S OPERATIONS. THE RATE OF NON-MONETARY DONATIONS IS UNPRECEDENTED AND THE AMOUNT OF HIGH GRADE TECHNICAL EQUIPMENT DONATED FOR FREE IS EVEN MORE SUSPICIOUS. GARMENT DOES NOT HAVE THINKER POWER, THIS IS THE SAME THING APERION USED TO CAUSE THE UNGODLY HOUR IN THE FIRST PLACE, GARMENT AND APERION EVEN DEBUTED IN THE SAME DAY. THE FOOD IS MADE BY THE CELESTIAL FORGE TO MASTER ANYONE WHO EATS IT.​

►Judge (Moderator)

All right, @UnsleepingAgenT, calm down. One more bout of unfounded paranoid ranting and you're banned from the thread for a week.​

►DiscoBaller

What the hell UnsleepingAgenT, what are you trying to do, summon the Cowboy of the empty abyss!!?​

►BlackHawkUp

@PRiceIsNice, parsing through your post was rather difficult, and while I still don't know what a good third said, I think I have the gist. Basically, keeping it in the Regency Center is rather impractical. They host events there all the time, from rock concerts to business expos, and I doubt all of them would want that tapestry up in the background. It would be pretty hard to Rage Against the Machine with a tapestry in the background that makes you feel hopeful and inspired if you look at it.​

►YippyYaw

While I do admire Garment's work and fashion exploits (or rather, my wife understands and admires it and I do so vicariously through her), does not one find it strange she's not gotten attacked or recruited at all? Maybe it's just that the gangs and PRT (Keep your 'one and the same' comments to the appropriate rant-threads) have bigger things to worry about, but I'd have expected at least a token effort. Does that speak to how utterly swamped they are, or have some quieter conflicts happened that didn't make national news?

Because, heads up, your clothes are made out of the same stuff she just proved she could weave at bullet speeds. Or simply constrict your clothing with you unfortunately inside... And probably plenty more violent ways to die that I'm not creative enough to figure out. And while I wouldn't count on the gangs as having the cumulative mental power to change a lightbulb, they certainly know their violence.

(Showing page 6 of 8)

►CatNoLongerInTheBag
I can already see the planning session.

"So we need to approach Garment in a way that minimizes her weapons."
"Yup."
"Her weapons are clothing."
"Yup."
"So we need to approach her naked?"
"..."
"And we don't want to confront her in her workshop, so we'd have to approach while she's out, but she only seems to go out for public events..."
"..."
"Somehow I just don't think we can properly represent ourselves while swinging in the breeze you know?"​

►AtomicTangerine

I mean, have you seen the damage Garment's dress went through on her first night out? There were tears, cuts, and more bullet holes than what would've killed an ordinary cape, and Garment didn't even seem affected by it. How would you even hurt or capture someone like Garment, and is that kind of effort worth what is effectively just better styled clothing for your group?

Of course we can see now that it's obvious that her "party planning" can get pretty ridiculous if she tries. But before this gala, it was fairly small scale, and even then I doubt that she would be just as happy to plan for an Empire rally as she was for charity. I'm sure the local PRT would be more than happy to have her too, but she's definitely established herself as an independent rogue cape since the beginning.​

►ChekovsGun

Speaking of rogue fashion capes, has Garment and Parian announced an upcoming cooperative fashion line yet? I know people say a lot of things about Parian's competence compared to Garment, but there's just something fantastic about that idea to me, you know?

Fashion, both old and new in Brockton Bay. Working together. I think it's something that could give hope after all that happened recently in this city...​

►DiscoBaller

I think the gangs have enough to worry about right now. Between the Ungodly Hour messing up the city, the Teeth returning the city, and the Celestial Forge hanging around like the proverbial elephant in the room, Garment is most likely rather low on their list of priorities.​

►HammersEuphemistically

Recruitment attempts can either end like her previous outings or she's in the clothes.​

►MollOfTheMechs

Aleph Meme, really? HE, your better than this....

I just wanted to know the name of who did the food? My other half brought home some and it was delicious.​

►limmyjimmy

I think there are a few reasons for why that might be the case.

Firstly, we must take into account the context. Now, sorry if I'm stepping on any toes here - I'm not from BB - but recent weeks have been defined by crisis after crisis, which have pushed every group in the city to the brink, including their capes. Sending non-powered members would be out of the question, but the capes would have better things to do, like fighting the other gangs, or recovering from said fights.

Secondly, it cannot be understated just how new Garment is. That would already limit opportunities to approach her, but even that time is cut short even more by her not having had a base of operation until recently, having no known patrol pattern or area, and very few public appearances.

Thirdly, there are the risks involved. See, Garment is surprisingly powerful as you've pointed out. Even assuming that for whatever reason she can't fire threads at supersonic speeds (powers are weird and often have arbitrary limits) or do something similarly ridiculous, she has already proven herself to be a capable combattant that is incredibly difficult to put down. But she's also what's commonly referred to as a "Joke Cape". Her powers are seen as relatively harmless, after all, it's just cloth, what's the worst that could happen? And then you get beaten up by a dress and left tied up in a neat bow, and everybody is laughing at you. That kind of thing can ruin careers. And with tensions running high, nobody would risk losing face like that.​

►SilkAndSteel

I think you've hit the nail on the head, @limmyjimmy . Garment is powerful, but she's new, unpredictable, and doesn't fit the usual mold for capes that gangs would go after. The thing is, it's not just about raw power—it's about the perception of power. Gangs and the PRT aren't stupid (well, not always). They're not going to risk a full-scale conflict unless they know it's worth it. Garment's a wild card. For all they know, she could turn their own uniforms against them or string them up for the media to see, like you said, in a humiliating defeat.

Plus, Brockton Bay is barely holding itself together right now. Between the ongoing gang wars and the chaos caused by the more dangerous factions, recruiting or attacking a rogue cape who's mostly minding her own business doesn't seem like a top priority. Not to mention, Garment's staying under the radar and sticking to her niche in fashion. It's clever, really—she's making herself useful to the city while not stepping on anyone's toes. It's probably part of why she's avoided being pulled into bigger conflicts.

But here's the thing: as her influence grows, as she pulls off more events like the Gala, she might not be able to fly under the radar for long. If the PRT or gangs think she's becoming a threat or, worse, a strategic asset for their enemies, you can bet they'll come knocking. For now, though, it looks like everyone's too busy or too cautious to make the first move.​

►Ghostboy

Yeah about that, methinks that's not going to be a problem. If you have any videos of March's livestream or Monkeysteel's fight in the trainyard, pay attention to his hands. Carefully.
*Laughs in schadenfreude*​

►Seventh7th

Oh don't go getting the thread locked for that conspiracy again. Aperion has had white gloves as part of his various aesthetics from the beginning, but there's no sign of him sharing space with the invisible woman that is Garden Gloves (sorry for the disrespect on this one but I have a gimmick to maintain)... And not to mention her gloves are a completely different design to his - she's been ballroom style elbow gloves in every appearance, the only difference being how far she rolls them up.

Actually thinking of said name joke do you think there's any kind of business that our newest madame of fashion would have difficulty designing for?

(Showing page 7 of 8)

►MollOfTheMechs

She favors the cloth and flamboyancy but that doesn't mean she can't do the practical utility of PPE Uniform. Although I would be interested in seeing what she came up with if she did.​

►EbilBizer

Huh, something super unfashionable. Does this mean the weaponized version of her power is fad generation?​

►OrOrcOrchid

I can't really think of anything that would be too hard for her.

Was it Hot Lawyer or Garment that kept the Administration side of things purring along so smoothly?​

According to some of the volunteers that I interviewed online, apparently it's a bit of both? I mean, Garment obviously couldn't have had directed things by herself with her communication issues, but Ms Mertens was clearly taking cues on her behalf. Plus, half of the time, Ms. Mertens was on call with her own support team outside of the event.

It muddles things a bit, I know, on who has been coordinating things but there was this universal response from the volunteers where the entire thing certainly had been a group effort where everyone pitched in.​

►DiscoBaller

Even if Garment does have some sort planning and coordination power, she still wouldn't have been able to pull that event together in that little of time without some major help. Hot Lawyer must also be Super Lawyer to be able to cut through that much red tape!​

►CrackALot

If by Super, you mean super terrifying, then yes, Ms. Mertens is certainly just that. I work in a law firm over at New York, and the kind of behavior Mertens exhibited was certainly... one of a kind.

You know how in professional circles, there are just these traditions and manners that have to be shared, even if it does add a bit of "red tape" as you had put it? Yes, well Mertens certainly had none of that. I know it sounds ironic coming from an attorney, but Mertens certainly had "following the word of the rules, not the spirit" down pat.

She would only do the bare minimum of niceties and then proceed to the next step with no breaks. She will give the paperwork as perfectly done as you could imagine, but she would ask nothing less but perfection in return. She has no qualms in calling out anyone slacking off or being anything less than punctual, even if it would be impolite. Frankly, if it were anyone else who wasn't as terrifyingly competent and as easy on the eyes as Ms. Mertens, there would've been a lot of burnt bridges.

But as it is, she instead has built something of a following among us. Especially after the resounding success that was that gala. There's just something that inspires both admiration and envy about her you know, and I know that rest of the women in my office both love and rue her name. I certainly do.​

►DriveBySpeculator

I think everyone is so fixated on the idea of a "super planning power" that they're missing the obvious.

Hot Person walks into the room, and everyone is suddenly super helpful and nice but fighting for attention.
Hot Lawyer walks into the room, and everyone is suddenly super helpful, nice, and a little intimidated so they fall in line and get things done!

It's not a parahuman power at all, it's just the power of hotness taken to the logical extreme!

We can only hope Hot Lawyer uses her powers for good... despite being a lawyer.​

►MidasCrutch

Don't forget the help of a very helpful translator - the young lady working as her assistant must have an inner eye for fashion to be able to help make miss Garment understood.​

That is actually something I was approached about by one of my interviewees. Apparently the young lady is Garment's direct aide, not under Mertens, and it has been requested that we would respect her privacy as she's an underage volunteer. Something of a personal project on Garment's part, from what I heard, but aside from that please do keep the talk about her to a minimum.

She's not a cape given that her identity is actually public if you know where to look, but please do respect the privacy of a minor and don't try looking and wait until Garment decides to make her a public model of hers or something. Act like she's a Ward if that makes it easier. I have forwarded the same request to the resident mod so nobody think about doxxing the young lady.​

►DandyWingman

> CatNoLongerInTheBag says:
> "Somehow I just don't think we can properly represent ourselves while swinging in the breeze you know?"

While that is a funny image, things are not that simple. Kaiser has his power generated armor. Hookwolf becomes his own armor. But Cricket probably won't mind going in the nude as long as she keeps her cage... Or on another side: Mush is well... Mush, Squealer will be inside her tank either way.

And no matter how powerful Garnment might be, there should be limits. Be that inability to affect things like chainmails or unprocessed plant cloth (I don't mean leafs, I mean Blasto) or she might be incapable of affecting leather.
End of Page. 1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7

(Showing page 8 of 8)

►DiscoBaller

> Even if Garment does have some sort planning and coordination power, she still wouldn't have been able to pull that event together in that little of time without some major help.

There is a bunch of powers that just make things line up, why can't it be a shaker power that just do things because it can? It can also be a thinker power that lets you select the most effective person for the job, tinkertech offers a lot of possibilities or it can be something more insidious.

My bet is on an ability to find the right person for the job. Garmet's lawyer probably had more 'bed' offers than actual job offers before Garmet found her, it is a low key miracle Miss Mertens is a lawyer and not on a podium regardless of her diploma. In that business you need reputation first and having model's envy of a body is a handicap, not a boon.​

►CrackALot

@DandyWingman I'd back that up about Mertens, because while I'm certainly not as much of a beauty as she is, I've faced harassment like that from both clients and competitors. It's why we are all so admiring yet so envious really - Mertens is like the dream of us women in this male dominated business that is the paralegal sector.​

►ChildofDirtAndEarth (Unverified Cape) (Verified Geologist)

The Gala, if you pardon the pun, rocks.

I share Bagrat's opinion on doxxing the apparently young lady professional.

My question is did Garment use the power generated rocks in her clothing?​

►DiscoBaller

@DandyWingman, powers tend to follow a theme though. I could see coordinating a fashion show to somehow fall into her theme, but I can't see an ability to choose the right people fitting into it. More likely she chose her lawyer based on which one looks best in a dress, and just got lucky with it.​

►XxTop_CatxX

Both Boundless Music and the Food was great. The Merten sisters were in the zone. Fashion isn't my thing but the historical stuff was A+ edutainment.

Power generated Rocks? Maybe? I don't know.

How broad can a power's theme get? Is 'Fashion' the theme?​

►IllogicalFallacy

I'd say themes are more what people think and do rather than inherent to the power.​

What does Flying, Super Strength and Invulnerability have in common?​

Dozens of capes doing it.

Maybe all para-humans have a lot of weirdo sideways applications and they just don't show it off because they are presenting a theme?

Maybe the powers are commonly disparate and parahumans limit themselves to a theme to make sense of it all?

And then there are grab bags.
End of Page. 1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8

■​
@LordRoustabout
[Written with the help of CorEagle's "PHO Blacksmithery - Brockton's Celestial Forge"(PHO Blacksmithery - Brockton's Celestial Forge) and the users who frequent the thread.]

Last edited:
On the last chapter: did anyone else notice that Gully seemed to be sensing the Outer Workshop (aka Garment's spare room) from the external reference frame even when she was inside it? I mean, all those rooms and walls and stuff folded into an impossibly small outer volume would have to feel really weird… anyway, what's she going to do when she comes back to Garment's studio later, for her appointment, and senses the same mess?

Another thought: Lethe is personally terrifying to everyone who doesn't actually know her. This means she's starting to get onto people's "things to check before leaving the house" lists (yes, shoes, pants, car keys, do I remember Lethe? Ok, yes, safe to go outside without fear of being randomly assassinated, yay!) - how long before she starts feeling the effects? Because all that low grade fear is unbelievably close to worship and her nanites include mantra circuits equal to a godbody…

Does anyone know if the Forge is still being worked on? Or if there's gonna be a V4? V3 came out 3 years ago and I feel like it could use updating with perks from new jump chains available.

Does anyone know if the Forge is still being worked on? Or if there's gonna be a V4? V3 came out 3 years ago and I feel like it could use updating with perks from new jump chains available.
Hi! Was on the team for V2/V3. Afaik there are no further plans for expansion. Especially since even V3, despite being a refinement of V2, is a massive mess. You really don't need more perks.
Basically all authors in this sphere suggest customising your forge if you want to write a Forge story.
There's a couple channels on the discord where such things are discussed.

Hi! Was on the team for V2/V3. Afaik there are no further plans for expansion. Especially since even V3, despite being a refinement of V2, is a massive mess. You really don't need more perks.
Basically all authors in this sphere suggest customising your forge if you want to write a Forge story.
There's a couple channels on the discord where such things are discussed.
Hmmm. I guess I just have to look around there. It just bugs me how unevenly distributed the number of perks for each category is. Like Knowledge Abilities and Skills has 78 perks but Design only has 20. Thanks for helping.

Since then there has been the expanded v1 where Eternally Lost iirc took v1, went through it to add potential freebies and edit it to add perks from the docs that could be in the forge and remove some of the ones that don't really belong.

Back