Brockton's Celestial Forge (Worm/Jumpchain)

wasent the GECKS just a teraformer/radiaton decontamination unit thats one shot?

The GECK (Garden of Eden Creation Kit) is a single use terraforming device. It contains soil and seed samples for food production and can turn irradiated wasteland into arable farmland. It also includes everything you need to build a settlement from the environment (some kind of quick concrete based on the look of Vailt City.) Food, water, power, and shelter are all accounted for.

In Fallout 2 the GECK was used to build Vault City

In Fallout 3 the GECK was used to finish a water purification project that purged radiation from the Potomac on a permanent ongoing basis.

In Fallout 76 some mad-lads shot up an active GECK with a mini gun and the result is a massive stretch of fertile swamp full of biological monstrosities. (The Mire)

It's also explicitly stated in the metamaterials to be a plot device so the "how" is whatever squishy science the author wants it to be.

The GECK (Garden of Eden Creation Kit) is a single use terraforming device. It contains soil and seed samples for food production and can turn irradiated wasteland into arable farmland. It also includes everything you need to build a settlement from the environment (some kind of quick concrete based on the look of Vailt City.) Food, water, power, and shelter are all accounted for.

In Fallout 2 the GECK was used to build Vault City

In Fallout 3 the GECK was used to finish a water purification project that purged radiation from the Potomac on a permanent ongoing basis.

In Fallout 76 some mad-lads shot up an active GECK with a mini gun and the result is a massive stretch of fertile swamp full of biological monstrosities. (The Mire)

It's also explicitly stated in the metamaterials to be a plot device so the "how" is whatever squishy science the author wants it to be.
I think that they might have gotten something more akin to the Sierra Madre vending machines but it is presumably possibly that they are using s small-scale G.E.C.K for agricultural purposes.

Tybalt gets caught sleeping on top of the Rig again.
Multiple heroes try to talk him down. Armsmaster swipes at him with an over-engineered broom.
"What does he think he is? A cat?"
Tybalt ignores them.

Leviathan shows up and gestures that it needs to wipe the Rig away.
Tybalt ignores it until it starts to take aggressive posture and lazily opens one eye to look at it.
Leviathan carefully backs away and leaves.

Kaiser grumbles when he sees Tybalt sleeping just outside his office window again. There's no window sill to lay on, but that doesn't stop him. Kaiser doesn't tap on the window. He learned his lesson the first time.

I was just thinking about the "is a cat/is not a cat" possibilities mixed with it being Tybalt so no one can stop him from doing whatever he wants.

Jumper Drop-By (Kamico)
Inspiration struck, and I wrote this in about 2 hours or so ;3

I stared at the angelic-looking young girl that dropped by me as I was popping the last of the Gray Boy bubbles, immediately on guard. My senses… they all, sans the Mental Fortress which was pinging like crazy, considered her a normal human girl.

"Hello there!" she cheered, waving at me, floating just out of my, and everyone else's, reach. "It was so hard to get ahold of you! Though, I suppose you're of the type to turtle in your base unless necessary, which I approve completely!"

"Hello!" Tetra cheered back, teleporting closer to her and outstretching her hand. "I'm Tetra! And you?"

"Ah, my name isn't important," the girl tilted her head, shook the offered hand and smiled. "Conceptual connection, huh? Pretty neat trick, especially if you use Nasuverse magecraft."

"Yeah!" my Life Fiber being nodded. "Ah, under Nasuverse you mean Kinoko Nasu's involvement in Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders?"

The girl blinked, and the Mental Fortress notified me that she held back surprise.

"Huh," she withdrew her hand and touched her cheek in a thoughtful pose. "Ahh, I think I know what is going on there. You took the Memory Lockout drawback, didn't you? Can't say it's wise in a setting as complicated as Wormverse, but with your loadout it's survivable, I suppose…"

…Wormverse? A chill ran through my body as my passenger suddenly perked up.

"Hmhmhm," she floated back a bit, looking at me thoughtfully. "As a senpai, I cannot let a fellow Jumper," my passenger suddenly started to blare warning sirens, "to just die to a stupid god-virus! Yes, I am gracious like that!"

[Joe, your stress levels just spiked. Do we attack her?] Aisha sent to me, and, from the sheer concern my passenger excluded at that idea, I knew this girl was, perhaps, a worse threat than March if provoked.

[DON'T,] I sent back. [Observe, this girl is incredibly dangerous if she decides we're enemies.]

Aisha, Fleet and Tybalt responded with begrudging acceptance.

"...Jumper?" I croaked, and the girl's eyes suddenly were full of pity.

"Damn, that kind of Memory Lockout," she frowned. "You're a greedy one, huh? Oh well, I already decided to help! In future Jumps, make sure you can survive the setting with 100% certainty instead of chasing shiny Perks, ok? Just a piece of advice from a Jumpchain Senpai!"

Then, a mundane smartphone - one of the models from the vending machine, a Galaxy S7 - appeared in her hands, and my sensors immediately scanned and digitized everything in its memory. Survey immediately dug into the data, and just as immediately started to freak out.

"Ah, that was a bit rude," the girl made a pouting face, that my manipulation sense pegged as fake. "You should've waited for me to hand it over! But I suppose I can forgive this. I'm in a good mood. Still, I think my work here is done. Ta-ta!"

That rang true. Still, as I divided my attention between ready for combat stance and digging through the information Survey forwarded, the impossible girl - Jumper? - smiled, her violet eyes flashed with blue and pink swirls, and disappeared.

"She… she just severed my connection to her!" Tetra exclaimed, silent to everyone but the two of us, her voice full of stunned shock. "That should have been impossible!"

[Apeiron, this is of grave importance. We all need to discuss this,] Survey sent.

"...At least she waited until we finished with the Gray Boy bubbles," I wearily joked. "Let's get back to the workshop."

With a mental command, a portal to a discreet corner of Brockton Bay was opened, and we stepped through it, then closed the first portal, opened another to the secondary base in Garment's closet, and then hurried through the door to the Workshop.

"So," I turned to Survey, who was biting her lips in an uncharacteristic display of nervousness, "what exactly do we have there?"

I sat on the chair, holding my head in my hands, Aisha cursing up a storm.

"At least we know now?" Tetra offered.

"We're in a fucking fictional universe! His powers are from fictional fucking universes! It's all a FUCKING writing exercise for some guy out there!" Aisha cussed, her hands flying up.

"Aisha," I looked at her gravely. "Language."

"Joe, I don't fucking care right now," she growled. "I'm too busy fighting a fucking existential crisis!"

Garment then indicated that she saw no reasons for our negative moods. Surely correlation did not mean causation?

"I…" she was right. Just because there were such things like 'Weight of the Quill' and 'Jumpchain Perks', did not mean that I accessed powers by these rules from these lists. Maybe there was a writer writing about me because they were memetically entangled with this reality, maybe there was a writer writing about me because they were in a higher plane of existence - this did not matter, as this was reality for me.

No, more importantly, there was the girl's assumption of me being a Jumper, one that I couldn't deny despite all my wishes for the contrary.

Was I just another life of a Jumper, one that would end in ten years? Was the Jumper even me? Would all I am just be a footnote for, in the best case, a cosmic tourist?

I groaned, looking at my(?) hands. In the files contained in that phone, in the Jumpchain Documents, incremental-type Power Lockouts were rare… but not nonexistent. The 'Worm' document didn't have one such a Drawback, but there were mentions of 'Chain-long' ones…

"Joe," Fleet looked at me. "Does it disturb you that much?"

"Yes," I admitted. I hated this, despite being grateful for the heads-up. This was… this was like discovering I was a fake, a mask, a substitute for someone, and it hit so many buttons of fears I had not known I had.

"Does it matter?" my AI continued.

I wanted to snap that yes, it did, but then remembered my own thought from just a bit before - that this was reality for ME, for me AT THIS MOMENT. It was a mindset disturbingly like that of my duplicates', but it helped somewhat, letting me think more clearly.

A failed connection punctuated that realization.

"...I suppose there are more pressing issues," I sighed, raising my head and looking at the Workshop crew. "We now know what is the 'worse than Endbringers' thing March was working for, the nature of Endbringers, the nature of parahuman powers, the nature of Scion, the reason for Case 53s… even, maybe, the nature of my powers. We can now plan for the inevitable rampage of Warrior Entity, the Passenger Network Collapse, and even for that possible Anti-Spiral invasion. Knowledge, even this kind of distressing knowledge, is power, and we were given a veritable trove of it. We need to capitalize on that."

"Sounds like a plan!" Tetra cheered. "So, what do we do now?"

"Well…"

especially if you use Nasuverse magecraft
Just to calm my inner nerd, she doesn't. Tetra's conceptual connection ability is from dozens of quality enhancing perks driving Life Fibres' innate preference for connection into insane levels. The closest it is to Nasuverse is from Master Craftsman perk (and even that is from King Arthur Jump and not Nasuverse), and magecraft got nothing to do with it. Honestly, into the creation of Tetra went so much bullshit, that the only way anyone in the known can look at her and claim her ability to only one verse is by being wrong. Which, considering all Omake she's done nothing but being wrong, seems to be in character for that Jumper.

Also,
to just die to a stupid god-virus
What god-virus?

Just to calm my inner nerd, she doesn't. Tetra's conceptual connection ability is from dozens of quality enhancing perks driving Life Fibres' innate preference for connection into insane levels. The closest it is to Nasuverse is from Master Craftsman perk (and even that is from King Arthur Jump and not Nasuverse), and magecraft got nothing to do with it. Honestly, into the creation of Tetra went so much bullshit, that the only way anyone in the known can look at her and claim her ability to only one verse is by being wrong. Which, considering all Omake she's done nothing but being wrong, seems to be in character for that Jumper.

I know - the Jumper meant that, with that ability, Nasu Magecraft is gonna be really easy to use, as it works on ties of En/Karma.

Entity, duh. It's a meta joke

I know - the Jumper meant that, with that ability, Nasu Magecraft is gonna be really easy to use, as it works on ties of En/Karma.
Ah, thought she was saying that using magecraft to establish conceptual connection is a neat trick. Guess then she would've said "especially if you use magecraft for that", my bad.

Huh, never considered Tetra using magecraft. Although, considering Tetra's innate capabilities and what magecraft's limits are, Tetra using magecraft is kind of like that situation with Joe wearing power armor, where he is more dangerous without it than within it.

Wait, actually isn't magecraft gets even worse the stronger science is? Wonder if Tinker Tech counts into what science is capable off, and therefore detracts from magecraft's capabilities. Some of the Apeiron tech probably does, like Star Trek stuff and so on. Although until it's a bit wider spread and more known, it probably won't have an effect. Like until someone start giving out universal translators or mater generators. Wait a second... The Matrix ruins magic, that dastardly nanobot hive.

Entity, duh. It's a meta joke
Gods? Them? More like eldritch interdimensional cockroaches, if you see one Shard, there is more in the walls alternate realities of your planet. And here I thought that was some Jumper meta thing, like Divine perks related virus or something.

Delay Announcement
Once again, I'm sorry to have to announce a delay, but I'm going to need another week to finish the chapter. I haven't been able to write as much as I wanted and the next few days will be too hectic for me to be able to close out the chapter in the final stretch. I'm hoping that soon things will calm down enough to get back on my usual schedule and I apologize for the recent delays.

Once again, I'm sorry to have to announce a delay, but I'm going to need another week to finish the chapter. I haven't been able to write as much as I wanted and the next few days will be too hectic for me to be able to close out the chapter in the final stretch. I'm hoping that soon things will calm down enough to get back on my usual schedule and I apologize for the recent delays.

Huh. Is it that time again already?

*KA-THUNK*
*HEADDESK*

tbh i dont really feel like we are just Owed chapters in such a way that announcing a delay every time is very useful, it just seems like another way to add stress to your life and maybe even make getting a chapter out that much harder.
its very clear though that you put a lot of effort in to try and give us the best version of your story that you can as soon as you can, so thanks for that!

Honestly Lord, at this point it'd probably just be easier to change your schedule to updating every three weeks. If at some point you manage to get things to calm down on your end you can change it back, but it's been clear to everyone for awhile now that you haven't been able to to maintain a once every two weeks schedule for the better part of a year now. These days I don't think anyone had actually expected you to have an update tonight!

Wait, actually isn't magecraft gets even worse the stronger science is? Wonder if Tinker Tech counts into what science is capable off, and therefore detracts from magecraft's capabilities. Some of the Apeiron tech probably does, like Star Trek stuff and so on. Although until it's a bit wider spread and more known, it probably won't have an effect. Like until someone start giving out universal translators or mater generators. Wait a second... The Matrix ruins magic, that dastardly nanobot hive.
Magecraft gets weaker the more people understand something. So long as very few people understand something, it's magically powerful in the nasuverse. Nobody but Aperion's team understands his tech, and nobody but dragon understands tinker tech.

An effect being accomplishable with science doesn't actually make magecraft weaker, so long as few people know how to accomplish the effect.

Although, even if you have something that every person on earth understands, that could still be made into magecraft, and it will be incredibly stable and easy to use, although it won't be powerful

I just grateful that we got 2+ millions words, just take you time^^. Or a break; or whatever works for you RL comes first and we are getting this for free thanks to you :D

No need to apologize. Your writing is well worth the wait. Take care of yourself first. :)

It's all good, summer is a busy time for most everyone.

Edit:
An effect being accomplishable with science doesn't actually make magecraft weaker, so long as few people know how to accomplish the effect.

Although, even if you have something that every person on earth understands, that could still be made into magecraft, and it will be incredibly stable and easy to use, although it won't be powerful
Take fire for example. Most everyone knows what fire is, what causes it and have a general idea of how it works from high school chemestry. Yet in the Nasuverse Fire is still considered one of the fundamental elements and seems to be a fairly decent element for Magecraft use. So even if Worm!Humanity is elevated to the point where they can start understanding Joe's level of science It will really only weaken magecraft by a little bit.

My personal headcanon though, is that Nasuverse magecraft is weakening not just because the loss of mystery, but the much greater impact is from the loss of belief. But that's getting off topic.

Last edited:
Back