I want you to keep in mind that all my previous responses to problems have been a variation of "if it happens, we'll figure it out," because my response to this one is "how the fuck would that even happen? What does that even mean?" Sabrina isn't a socially constructed position.

Why are you presuming a sane antagonist in Madoka of all stories? Also there are multiple powers in this quest already that involve manipulation of Soul Gems so having one that can steal powers by claiming the Souls creating them is something plausible.

No, no, until we hit her with "Oh, Mami" she hasnt mastered art of Sabrina.
This was hard to search for, because there's no shortage of false positives:
But there've been a few. 75% of them sad.
"Oh, Mami," you say, your own heart breaking for her
"Oh, Mami..." you stop healing, instead drawing Mami into a hug.
"Oh, Mami," you whisper.
But there is one "oh, Mami" that does fit the same context as an "oh, Sabrina":
You can't dodge... but she doesn't fire.

She winks at you, and tilts it away.

... oh, Mami.
So we're good!

Actually, could Sabrina and Mami swap bodies? Yeah, we could likely create a grief-clone that's a convincing fascimile of Mami, and I give her a week before she can create a full-sized ribbon-clone that's a convincing fascimile of Sabrina. But is it possible to actually connect the respective soul gems to a non-native meatsack?

Now that I think about it, learning how to connect a soul gem to a non-native meatsack would drastically cut down on the time needed to revive the Souju's victims...

But is it possible to actually connect the respective soul gems to a non-native meatsack?
Theoretically, Soul Gems shouldnt even care to which meatsack you connect them, only that compatible hardware for their drivers is detected. Thats how we going to revive Twins' victims.

Now, whether or not bodyless meguca can posses a corpse of, say, stray cat, is another question

Actually, could Sabrina and Mami swap bodies? Yeah, we could likely create a grief-clone that's a convincing fascimile of Mami, and I give her a week before she can create a full-sized ribbon-clone that's a convincing fascimile of Sabrina. But is it possible to actually connect the respective soul gems to a non-native meatsack?

Some of the non-canon comedy spinoff mangas have played with this idea (the Homura/Mami one did a chapter where they swapped bodies iirc) but I don't think there's any indication in canon of whether it works. For PMAS my guess would be that it's possible but will cause serious problems. Niko thinks she can create accurate bodies for the Soujus' victims just working from their soul gems which means that soul gems must contain some model of what the body they're supposed to be attached to is like. Attaching the gem to a body that doesn't match this model could go wrong in all sorts of ways - maybe the gem starts burning magic trying to 'heal' the body into the shape it expects, maybe the mismatch causes severe dysphoria, maybe it makes you go insane and this is part of the reason the Soujus are so messed up to begin with, etc. Even though it's possible to operate as just a soul gem a magical girl's brain isn't doing nothing and I would expect trying to operate a soul gem with a brain that doesn't match to go horribly wrong

Sabrina would definitely be the type to pronounce those as words, rather than as individual letters.
She would say it in a way that's somehow both, within allophonic space. Remember, Sabrina has a fucking weird anti-accent. As an example, when she says the word "night" in English, it's phonemically correct for Modern English and comprehensible as such, but said in a way within the allophonic space of those phonemes that you can hear the "gh".

Last edited:
Seeing the local version of herself being happy in a romantic relationship and reconciling with Kyouko and Kazumi might be nice. On one hand she'll know she isn't destined to be lonely, on the other these aren't her versions of her friends and there's (for now) only one Sabrina around.
De-witched prior-time-loop Mami could dive straight into dating Kyouko, in which case complete lack of prior feelings for Sabrina is a pure advantage.

She would say it in a way that's somehow both, within allophonic space. Remember, Sabrina has a fucking weird anti-accent. As an example, when she says the word "night" in English, it's phonemically correct for Modern English and comprehensible as such, but said in a way within the allophonic space of those phonemes that you can hear the "gh".
I've been trying to do that for the last 30 minutes and now I can't say night anymore.

Hm. I blame the brontosaurus plush.

I've been trying to do that for the last 30 minutes and now I can't say night anymore.

Hm. I blame the brontosaurus plush.
The main issue that basically anyone is going to encounter is that we've all got particular ways we pronounce any given distinct sound which is a matter of habitual association. "Phonemes" as a whole are just vague lines denoting where one sound stops being perceived one way and starts being perceived another way within a particular community of speakers.

Sabrina speaks every language we've cared to bring up at all, and speaks it with full native fluency, and can do so in the specific local accent that the other speaker is using if she cares to.

This means that Sabrina is able to make arbitrary phonemic distinctions and reliably articulate them (which fits given her insane multitasking). This means that she can play around with how she pronounces things in ways that even extremely gifted people just... can't. Because there's no-one who can actually speak every language in any arbitrary local accent with full native fluency. Which lets her play absolutely silly buggers with saying "knightly" in a way that fits modern pronunciation and somehow fits every letter being audible in the word as each of those letters, and lets her do so without really even thinking about it.

Sabrina is Weird™.

I tried figuring out how to pronounce þe gh sound and now I can't talk ri-g-ha-t at all. Þanks for þat.

Possibility which just occurred to me... how about disconnecting the potentialbomb's most worrisome detonator with frank bribery? Something like:

Sabrina: You have plans to disrupt the alliance I'm building.
QB: That's a fascinating accusation.
Sabrina: I'm not asking, just notifying you that I've noticed.
QB: tail swishes, declining to comment further
Sabrina: How many cubic meters of grief, at the density of my standard marbles, would be needed to convince you to abandon those plans? Either leveraging your influence to fully support Constellation's success, or standing aside to observe the unprecedented without interference. Regardless of exact quantity, 'Half today, half after Walpurgisnacht' seems logical, but I'm willing to discuss alternative payment schedules - or possibly other ongoing concessions, as proven by the reduced-visibility coating for my flight platforms. Also, on a related note, what's Earth's overall quota?

Possibility which just occurred to me... how about disconnecting the potentialbomb's most worrisome detonator with frank bribery? Something like:

Sabrina: You have plans to disrupt the alliance I'm building.
QB: That's a fascinating accusation.
Sabrina: I'm not asking, just notifying you that I've noticed.
QB: tail swishes, declining to comment further
Sabrina: How many cubic meters of grief, at the density of my standard marbles, would be needed to convince you to abandon those plans? Either leveraging your influence to fully support Constellation's success, or standing aside to observe the unprecedented without interference. Regardless of exact quantity, 'Half today, half after Walpurgisnacht' seems logical, but I'm willing to discuss alternative payment schedules - or possibly other ongoing concessions, as proven by the reduced-visibility coating for my flight platforms. Also, on a related note, what's Earth's overall quota?

There is no quantity of grief it is possible for Sabrina to provide which would convince Kyubey to stop trying to recruit Madoka and therefore acting in direct contradiction to our goals. Her contract is more valuable to him than the entire future output of earth. It's possible he can be bought off on certain other matters but even if he sounds like he's agreed to something it's very difficult to trust that he won't interpret his promise creatively and go against us anyway

Back