Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
That said I believe everyone was rather surprised Teclis went in the first place.
You know that it was? It was a thread generated theory in Teclis Quest that the supporting faction took the Chaos Invasion Adventure Interlude as opportunity to prove.

"It'll never work. It always ends in Dhar. Every time. They just don't have the mental capacity to keep the Winds separate. We know this!"

"Ah, but see- they mutate so fast, if we can get them to focus on a single wind long enough to acquire Arcane Marks, through immersion and exposure, they'll inherently gravitate to that single Wind. That will keep the contamination to a minimum, and we can use them in parallel.
I'll bet you the Human Tongs theory will work out, you'll see."

Last edited:
Kragg and Asarnil are very similar in that they are very skilled examples of a very respected profession, and from a very prestigious polity within a very ancient people. Or to put it another way, they are proud (or arrogant) to the fourth power. Kragg's major life drama comes from being too proud to teach any Apprentice that doesn't meet up to his very high standards, and Asarnil's came from his pride getting into a game of chicken with the Phoenix King's pride and neither of them blinked. Both of them are pretty miserable as a result and have been for centuries, but both are too proud to let that stop them from being the very pinnacle of what they do, and what they do is a lot of good for the Old World.

They think they're better than humans, yes, but they also think they're better than most of their own species, and they've got track records to back that up. If anything their condescension towards human manifests in ways advantageous for humans like Mathilde, because they'll cut humans slack that they won't cut for their own people and Mathilde is able to clear that lower bar and be recognized as worthy of respect. That's not not racism, but at the same time they're not, you know, singing the Savages song from Pocahontas either.

(Yes, I'm aware I just wrote what amounts to a "yes, they're racist, but..." statement, and part of me is going 'yikes' at doing so, but at the end of the day we are talking about Elves and Dwarves here.)

At the time elves were a (mostly?) unified polity, and it was my understanding that Laurelorn was still part of Ulthuan (or very recently seceded?), so dawi thinking of them as part of Ulthuan is kinda excusable.

The Old World colonies tried to collectively claim the status of Ulthuan's eleventh kingdom while Ulthuan was busy fighting the initial war with Malekith during the time of the Third Phoenix King Caledor I, but then PK4 Caledor II reasserted Ulthuan's dominance militarily. They didn't secede until after the end of the War of Vengance, when PK5 Caradryel declared that the Elves were pulling out of the Old World and Athen Loren and Laurelorn said words to the effect of 'no the fuck we're not'.

Magnus is a pal like that. Just rockin up, going "I have the backing of two gods, we're doing this now, look how damn good they kill daemons!" and then no one could say no without at LEAST 15 knives in their back

At least three. Talabheim tried to play silly buggers and a massive stag came out of the woods and said "cut that shit out".

For what it's worth, Realms of Sorcery says that Teclis and his students showed their courage in "many battles" (page 28), so I suppose there must have been some at least.
The way it's written does imply Teclis began teaching before those battles though. Interesting that it claims Yrtle fell in Ostermark though.

Teclis and the Empire didn't clash directly with the forces of the Everchosen until the Battle at the Gates of Kislev, but there were plenty of other clashes with Norscans and Beastmen and Cultists within the Empire's borders that Teclis and his companions may have contributed to. And I believe Yrtle fell in Kislev, but was buried in Ostermark.

I was just thinking about how straight-up ageism might be the dominant thing about elven arrogance- it's like being a 40 year old around a bunch of extraordinarily talented 10 year olds who can *almost* do what you can do, and knowing that if they would just live past 14 they'd be really amazing and in fact better than you- but they won't. So there's a bitter-sweet nature to the "yeah, I am better than you, but you are better than me at your age by a long shot, it's a pity that can't last."

Player-Created Informational Posts

This is a collection of informational posts created by players. I've looked over them for inaccuracies but they were not written by me and may have been updated since I last read them, so they should not be taken as outright WoQM. Inclusion on this list does not oblige the person who wrote it to keep the post up-to-date.

Approved Spells, by @LawsOfRobotics
A collection of the spells I have confirmed that Mathilde can try to create.

Notes on Ranald's Coin, by @Jyn Ryvia
Observations on the effects, interactions, and limitations of Ranald's Coin.

Notes on Waystones, by @Jyn Ryvia
Observations and unanswered questions about the many kinds of Waystones of the Old World.

Grey College Org Chart, by @Redshirt Army
The current Magisterial Council of the Grey Order, to the best of Mathilde's knowledge.

College Rolodex, by @Codex
A list of every living Empire Wizard mentioned so far in the quest.

Book Buying Limits, by @Jyn Ryvia
General information about availabilities and restrictions of books Mathilde may seek to purchase.

A Brief History of Our Time in Stirland, by @picklepikkl and @Parabola
A summary of Mathilde's actions and efforts as Spymistress of Stirland.

A Summary of Our Time As Loremaster, by @picklepikkl
A summary of Mathilde's actions and efforts during her time in the employ of Karak Eight Peaks.

A Brief History of The Waystone Project, by @picklepikkl
A summary of Mathilde's actions and efforts pursuing the Waystone Project

Player-Created Multi-Action Plans, by @Abhorsen
A collection of long-term plans and projects the thread has come up with.

Characters of Divided Loyalties, by @Codex
An exhaustive list of characters encountered and mentioned in the course of the Quest.

Cartographical Compilation, by @Codex
A collection of maps of the setting, with an eye towards the ones used for this quest.

Ulrikadrin, by @Codex
A collation of all available information on the settlement of Ulrikadrin.

Karak Eight Peaks, by @Codex
A thorough summary of the history, geography, and population of Karak Eight Peaks.

Compilation of World Events, by @Codex
A collection of news from abroad of hostile forces active in the Old World.

Governance of Laurelorn, by @Codex
The Triumvirate, Wardens, and Major Houses of the Eonir.

Waystone Project Characters, by @Codex
Waystone Project Cheatsheet, by @notanautomaton
Collections of information and observations on the members of the Waystone Project.

Belthani Lorepost, by @Codex
A collection of information on the Belthani, the first human inhabitants of the Reik Basin and ancestors of the Jade Order.

Libraries, Academies, and Other Loreful Places of the Old World, by @Andres
A list of the many potential sources of written knowledge in the Old World.

Spreadsheet of the Kron-Azril-Ungol, by @Parabola
A list of the topics contained within Mathilde's library in spreadsheet form.

Waystone Research Avenues, by @mathymancer
A breakdown of the different avenues of research of the Waystone Project.

Repository of available Apparition and Apparition-binding information, by @Parabola
A collection of and links to canon information and WoQMs about Apparitions.

Miscasts and Mathilde, by @Parabola
A summary of all of Mathilde's experiences with the consequences of fumbling magical energies.

A brief overview of the achievements of the Waystone project, 2488-2490, by @Nerdasaurus Rex

Waystone Component Overview, by @Nerdasaurus Rex
A description of all the created components for the Waystone Project as of T42.

A List of Known Nexuses Which are Lost, Abandoned, Fallen, Occupied, or Otherwise Non-Functional, by @Nerdasaurus Rex
Subtitled 'we should probably do something about that'.

Backroom Dealings, by @Sculpt0r
A summary of Sidequests, Plot Threads, 'Tech Trees', and Accumulated Artefacts

Last edited:
Kragg and Asarnil are very similar in that they are very skilled examples of a very respected profession, and from a very prestigious polity within a very ancient people. Or to put it another way, they are proud (or arrogant) to the fourth power. Kragg's major life drama comes from being too proud to teach any Apprentice that doesn't meet up to his very high standards, and Asarnil's came from his pride getting into a game of chicken with the Phoenix King's pride and neither of them blinked. Both of them are pretty miserable as a result and have been for centuries, but both are too proud to let that stop them from being the very pinnacle of what they do, and what they do is a lot of good for the Old World.

They think they're better than humans, yes, but they also think they're better than most of their own species, and they've got track records to back that up. If anything their condescension towards human manifests in ways advantageous for humans like Mathilde, because they'll cut humans slack that they won't cut for their own people and Mathilde is able to clear that lower bar and be recognized as worthy of respect. That's not not racism, but at the same time they're not, you know, singing the Savages song from Pocahontas either.

(Yes, I'm aware I just wrote what amounts to a "yes, they're racist, but..." statement, and part of me is going 'yikes' at doing so, but at the end of the day we are talking about Elves and Dwarves here.)

The Old World colonies tried to collectively claim the status of Ulthuan's eleventh kingdom while Ulthuan was busy fighting the initial war with Malekith during the time of the Third Phoenix King Caledor I, but then PK4 Caledor II reasserted Ulthuan's dominance militarily. They didn't secede until after the end of the War of Vengance, when PK5 Caradryel declared that the Elves were pulling out of the Old World and Athen Loren and Laurelorn said words to the effect of 'no the fuck we're not'.

At least three. Talabheim tried to play silly buggers and a massive stag came out of the woods and said "cut that shit out".

Teclis and the Empire didn't clash directly with the forces of the Everchosen until the Battle at the Gates of Kislev, but there were plenty of other clashes with Norscans and Beastmen and Cultists within the Empire's borders that Teclis and his companions may have contributed to. And I believe Yrtle fell in Kislev, but was buried in Ostermark.
Kinda makes me wonder "Why Ostermark?", then.

Did he die fighting alongside an Ostermark regiment?

Was it something about Yrtle himself?

Humans: "Where would you like your companion buried?"
Teclis: "I need somewhere that says 'dreary'."
Humans: "Do we have a province for you!"

Kinda makes me wonder "Why Ostermark", then.

Did he die fighting alongside an Ostermark regiment?

Was it something about Yrtle himself?

Humans: "Where would you like your companion buried?"
Teclis: "I need somewhere that says 'dreary'."
Humans: "Do we have a province for you!"

Probably because it was the closest Imperial soil to where he fell, and so it was where all the Empire's fallen VIPs would have been interred.

[X] [LIBRARY] The Eonir of Laurelorn: Esoteric Dwarven (150 gc), Beastmen: Extensive Imperial, Extensive and Antiquarian Dwarven (300 gc), Waystones and Henges: Esoteric Imperial (150 gc and 4 CF)

This is a collection of informational posts created by players. I've looked over them for inaccuracies but they were not written by me and may have been updated since I last read them, so they should not be taken as outright WoQM.

Approved Spells, by @Quest
A collection of the spells I have confirmed that Mathilde can try to create.

Notes on Ranald's Coin, by @Jyn Ryvia
Observations on the effects, interactions, and limitations of Ranald's Coin.

Grey College Org Chart, by @Redshirt Army
The current Magisterial Council of the Grey Order, to the best of Mathilde's knowledge.

College Rolodex, by @Codex
A list of every living Empire Wizard mentioned so far in the quest.

Book Buying Limits, by @Jyn Ryvia
General information about availabilities and restrictions of books Mathilde may seek to purchase.

A Summary of Our Time As Loremaster, by @picklepikkl
A summary of Mathilde's actions and efforts during her time in the employ of Karak Eight Peaks.

Player-Created Multi-Action Plans, by @Abhorsen
A collection of long-term plans and projects the thread has come up with.
Cleaning up the threadmarks?

I'm happy if you want to copy and past 'Book Buying Limits' and threadmark it as your own if you want more control over it?

I'm also happy to keep at it is if you just don't want to deal with it.

Cleaning up the threadmarks?

I'm happy if you want to copy and past 'Book Buying Limits' and threadmark it as your own if you want more control over it?

I'm also happy to keep at it is if you just don't want to deal with it.

Yeah, there was a sort of grey area for player-made reference posts where they weren't quite full-fledged Informational but neither did they fit in well with the fanart and memes of Media, and I didn't like how things like the character sheet had been pushed off the immediately visible list of Informational. I might reassess the book stuff and annex it off you once the library is up and going and I work out a formal system for it, but for now I'm happy to leave it in your hands if you are.

Iirc it should be at least four. The Sigmarites tried to burn him but the fire refused to catch, he passed through the sacred fire of Ulric, the Stag thing for Taal, and then Triton swam around Marienburg and the seas teemed with sealife when the priests of Manann tried to refuse him.

I can only imagine it now

Talabheim: What? No! We're not doing magic!
Stag comes out: The fuck you doing?!?!
Talabheim: Telling Magnus to not do magic!
Stag: thats Magnus the Mother Fuckin' PIOUS! Get the fuck outta here with this no magic shite, if Magnus wants magic Magnus gonna get some fuckin magic!

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of gods had prohibitions on magic. Magnus and events around him quite thoroughly proved that they changed their minds.

About ten days of dedicated reading later, I have caught up to the thread. It's wild to have traversed three years of writing in a little under two weeks.

I look forward to not contributing anything useful, considering my complete lack of setting knowledge! I'll be supporting votes that include romance options (Pan for us, as well as taking any opportunities we can to meddle in our friend's love lives) and furthering our Ranald worship, since that's what interests me most as a player.

Amazing work, Boney.

More seriously, Kragg has lived for 8 human lifetimes, and has been the oldest dwarf to live for at least 3 of those. I don't think statistics really have much say here because there is a seriously big pool of people that could've made it but didn't, and if Kragg could outlast them all then well, it probably isn't just luck.
Did you mean "dwarven lifetimes"? Kragg is 1500+, that's more like 20-30 human lifetimes than 8.

[X] The Eonir of Laurelorn: Esoteric Dwarven (150 gc), Beastmen: Extensive Imperial, Extensive and Antiquarian Dwarven (300 gc), Waystones and Henges: Esoteric Imperial (150 gc and 4 CF)

The Young Holds have the same diet, and they don't have the same malaise."
I wonder if we could take the Karak Hirn intrigue/scandal/horseshit as a data point in this? The royal clan, the wealthiest(?), the most prestigious, and therefore probably eating the most Umbrog, has it's two heirs murder each other over ????, While the pariah son, who's been eating barak-varr-supplied trail rations, ranger ale, and meat is (seemingly) immensely well adjusted, as dwarves go.
We should check in on ulthar.

Last edited:
I wonder if we could take the Karak Hirn intrigue/scandal/horseshit as a data point in this? The royal clan, the wealthiest(?), the most prestigious, and therefore probably eating the most Umbrog, has it's two heirs murder each other over ????, While the pariah son, who's been eating barak-varr-supplied trail rations, ranger ale, and meat is (seemingly) immensely well adjusted, as dwarves go.
I think blaming the massacre of both princes and their entire retinues on their diet is perhaps a bit of a reach.

While the pariah son, who's been eating barak-varr-supplied trail rations, ranger ale, and meat is (seemingly) immensely well adjusted, as dwarves go.
Rangers in general are among the most open minded amongst dwarves. They're exposed to them and the outside world more than your average dwarf to the point a lot of 'normal' dwarves think Rangers are super weird for it.

You know... i've read somewhere that there are certain species of edible fish that can thrive on cave rivers and places where low light is available.
Tilapea and or catfish iirc, pigs also can be raised and feed... well, pretty much anything, including *ehem* dwarven sewage and perhaps Skaven Slug?

I'm seeing a lot of sundries, food, veggies, and also sugar, salt and other things we can sell to this dwarfs teetotaler survivalist.

Somehow the last chapter makes me wonder if there's a harvest moon crossover farming story where the protagonist is an outcast dwarf, who manage to make it big and save the very people who cast him out from famine.

Last edited:
About ten days of dedicated reading later, I have caught up to the thread. It's wild to have traversed three years of writing in a little under two weeks.
I love getting to binge-read excellent stories/quests.

I look forward to not contributing anything useful, considering my complete lack of setting knowledge!
To quote Mathilde's father-figure: "Don't touch the mummy gold, idiot."
Warhammer Fantasy is a setting where not knowing much about the setting can still let you get along just fine right up until suddenly things go VERY wrong.

Of course, ignorance of the setting does kind of help spare you from the sheer pain when a couple of bad dice rolls kill Gotrek via "rocks fall hero dies" and kill a sure bet on recruiting him and his wife to found K8P's engineering guild in the process.

Of course, ignorance of the setting does kind of help spare you from the sheer pain when a couple of bad dice rolls kill Gotrek via "rocks fall hero dies" and kill a sure bet on recruiting him and his wife to found K8P's engineering guild in the process.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "sure bet", as Gotrek and his wife seemed (considering we only met one of them) almost proud of their clanless status.

But yeah, absolute shame we couldn't even give him the offer, and he could have done a lot of good at K8P.

Last edited:
Back