Do not ask what it is, I do not want to talk about it.
I am certain there should be a semicolon here instead of a comma...

Dat loophole.

"ARE WE THERE YET?" :V

"Rei, it that's what you need, that's what we'll do.
Think you mean "if".

Er...?

Misato smiled. "Well, good. I'm thinking of a little get-together Christmas Eve at my place. Invite that assistant of yours, I'll see about getting Lieutenant Hyuga and some of the Ops people along, and we'll make a nice NERV off-duty party out of it. Just like my promotion party, eh?"

Ok, I wonder, will the other bridge bunnies just be window dressing to cover the conspiratorial meeting? Will they conveniently "not have time"? Or will Misato try to get them in on the counter conspiracy?
While the last one would be nice, I feel it'd be too soon. Misato and Ritsuko are not on the same page yet. And trying to bring multible parties into the conspiracy to end the world ending conspiracies seems like a bad idea that should only be attempted if you know you are running out of time fast.

Window dressing, I think. The more people who are in Misato's apartment, the less likely Gendo or SEELE is to think 'hmm, Kaji's girlfriend and Gendo's fleshlight are talking to each other where we can't hear what they're saying.' But Misato can drag Rits off to a balcony with Kaji surreptitiously blocking a door.

Or they could 'be busy.'

As far as 'rapidly running out of time' goes, though, I'm pretty sure Misato knows that. Kaworu and Rei have said 'There's a whole bunch of stuff that we know that will get you assassinated if we tell you, but we're going to tell you after the next Angel.' Which pretty much means there's really not a whole lot of time left. That said I don't disagree; recruiting the other bridge bunnies would seem to make more sense when it comes to planning a response, not gathering intelligence.

It still feels absurd to see this word used in an English sentence.

Like, not as bad as watching Girls und Panzer, Commiesub Version, while also hitting the cream liqueur, but reasonably close.

Also, I'm not sure those parentheses were meant to stay there.
I wanted to have Asuka getting to use the German version of the official nickname for Kaworu, but don't like putting the 'subtitling' at the bottom or anything.

On a similar note, I thought about having the entire conversation be in German, since Asuka and Kaworu are native speakers (In fact, Kaworu sounds faintly like a Berliner too.), Rei is fluent if accented, and Shinji is well past conversational, and Asuka thinks his accent is cute. Asuka is tickled by the fact nearly all the Pilots speak German now, and everyone else is happy to indulge her by carrying on in German whenever she likes. Hikari is really starting to feel like she should learn it. :)
Technically it includes that, but more a reference to things like the Kaworu route in the Eva PS2 games and such.

Ok, I wonder, will the other bridge bunnies just be window dressing to cover the conspiratorial meeting? Will they conveniently "not have time"? Or will Misato try to get them in on the counter conspiracy?
On the bright side, we know from canon that Lieutenant Hyuga is far more loyal to Misato personally than to NERV officially, given how he was willing to bend and dodge the rules in helping Misato dig up things she wasn't supposed to know, especially towards the end. Aoba? Who knows? And the rest of them don't even get names in Series. I suppose Satsuki Ooi, Aoi Mogami, or Kaede Agano could show up...

In fact, Kaworu sounds faintly like a Berliner too
Imagines Kaworu speaking Berlinerisch

Berlinerisch is close to the Saxon dialects, which generally get amusing reactions everywhere else. High-class German is it most definitely not. :p

...I get what you're going for here, but the mental images it conjures up for me are just far too amusing.

Admittedly, the idea of Berliner!Kaworu is just great. Remind me to write an omake about once my exams are over!

Last edited:
Not when you're facing them in person, they're not. :V

Seriously, I've seen Brits quake in their boots on the tube as me and some friends were discussing the weather and the last pub crawl. :p

Admittedly, normal spoken German doesn't sound nearly as aggressive. And it's not the loud angry Germans you have to watch out for, either.
Eh, german is the kind of language that can only really give two impressions. Either it's highly amusing, or it's "jfc, who're they going to kill (or possibly invade, but that's mostly advanced killing) and what did that poor sod do to deserve it".

It could be worse, it could be the kind of language that only ever sound amusing, no matter what you're saying. :p Looking at you, norwegian.

Either it's highly amusing, or it's "jfc, who're they going to kill (or possibly invade, but that's mostly advanced killing) and what did that poor sod do to deserve it".
I am slightly sad that nobody talks about German Liederkultur outside of Germany.

Seriously, we have some of the most beautiful songs out there. :[
It could be worse, it could be the kind of language that only ever sound amusing, no matter what you're saying. :p
Ah yes, Dutch. Such a beautiful language.

...I think this might be a derail? Is this a derail? It's probably a derail. My bad.

Last edited:
Berlinerisch is close to the Saxon dialects, which generally get amusing reactions everywhere else. High-class German is it most definitely not. :p
Well, it was that or Hamburg! Only two NERV bases (known) in Germany. His speech pattern might be a little archaic-sounding, too, since Kiel Lorenz did most of the talking to him, and he's a very old man.
That's why I'm going with Hamburg; Plattdeutsch is far more appealing to me. (Though I find the thought incredibly funny that Asuka speaks hochdeutsch and thoroughly hates her father's dialect.)

Plus, my wife hates Asuka's character enough, already. :/

Last edited:
That's why I'm going with Hamburg; Plattdeutsch is far more appealing to me. (Though I find the thought incredibly funny that Asuka speaks hochdeutsch and thoroughly hates her father's dialect.)
It's super interesting to be part of a generation of Germans that grew up only speaking "high" German and have a hard time speaking and understanding any local dialect. It oftentimes creates this bizarre feeling that while you might be German, you don't feel... quite at home anywhere in Germany, or at least any specific region of it.

Especially when some parents raise their children to speak High German only, fearing that speaking dialect will lead people to judge them unfairly and thus denying them opportunities for the future. Or people deliberately cultivating their High German because they hold dialect and the people who speak it in contempt, which is thankfully much rarer.

Might even justify Asuka being German and perhaps not quite feeling accepted and at home there, in some way.

I sincerely admire people who have the ability to switch from High German into their home dialect or several others at the drop of a hat. They've understood how important it is to be part of both worlds.

It's super interesting to be part of a generation of Germans that grew up only speaking "high" German and have a hard time speaking and understanding any local dialect. It oftentimes creates this bizarre feeling that while you might be German, you don't feel... quite at home anywhere in Germany, or at least any specific region of it.

Especially when some parents raise their children to speak High German only, fearing that speaking dialect will lead people to judge them unfairly and thus denying them opportunities for the future. Or people deliberately cultivating their High German because they hold dialect and the people who speak it in contempt, which is thankfully much rarer.

Might even justify Asuka being German and perhaps not quite feeling accepted and at home there, in some way.

I sincerely admire people who have the ability to switch from High German into their home dialect or several others at the drop of a hat. They've understood how important it is to be part of both worlds.
Germans are High Elves, confirmed. :V

Of course, having someone named Kiel speak Plattdeutsch is perfectly natural to begin with :)

Depends how actual nihilist the nihilist is. IIRC the term, coined by Nietzche, basically said the universe had no inherent plan, or purpose or whatever. No cosmic checklist for us to tick off. No creator-spirit to appease.

This was not a call to hopelessness, though. Life, the universe, has no value or purpose except what we choose to assign to it. If their is no god, or justice, then it only becomes necessary for us to invent them.

My first thought there was 'Maybe another reason Asuka hates her step-mother is her accent?', but then a thing occurred to me that is Doylist just a convenience for the audience, but Watsonian is kind of weird: In her memories of hearing her father and her not-yet-stepmom having sex in the next room while Kyoko wasted away, all the bits of dialog between them Asuka overhears are in Japanese, not German. I can't really think of a Watsonian reason a nurse in a German hospital and a German-American man would be speaking Japanese for a private conversation that is just a prelude to sex, except to ascribe it to Asuka's memories automatically translating for us. Sadly, this deprives us of direct evidence on their accents, if any. :(

@MadStylus:
Depends how actual nihilist the nihilist is. IIRC the term, coined by Nietzche, basically said the universe had no inherent plan, or purpose or whatever. No cosmic checklist for us to tick off. No creator-spirit to appease.

This was not a call to hopelessness, though. Life, the universe, has no value or purpose except what we choose to assign to it. If their is no god, or justice, then it only becomes necessary for us to invent them.

Agreed, but I was quoting the Big Lebowski.

@Strypgia: once again, foiled by Translation Convention!

Back