Heartwarming Omake, Asuka's 22nd Birthday Special - Not Alone II: Not Alone Enough
Today would be Asuka's 22nd Birthday. So... looking for an idea, I went a long way back: How's this for a deep cut?
She shrugged. "It just means you are playing for me when we get home," she said. "And doing what I say. With me."

"Y-yeah!" he eagerly agreed. "With you!" His face lit up again. "I can cook! I can make you a cake!"

"A cake? What, a birthday cake?"

"Yeah! I... uh... when is your birthday?"

"December 4th."

He counted on his fingers. "So I've got about six weeks to make you the best birthday cake you've ever had."

She nodded firmly. "You will. Because I'm telling you to. Just like you will kiss me whenever I say to." Yes. That was logical and made sense.

Not Alone II: Not Alone Enough

+++

Asuka usually didn't particularly like celebrating her birthday. Several years it had been an unremarked date, occupied by NERV training. She was just as happy to leave it that way. The horror of her 4th birthday had kind of soured her on the entire deal. Even Misato had been smart enough not to do anything wild when she'd been Asuka's guardian in Germany. She'd allowed Misato the stretch of serving her a cupcake with a candle in it for her 12th, and a single gift-wrapped present, but that was the most she'd ever allowed, much less looked for.

So why was this driving her insane?

He'd promised her a birthday cake. A cake. The 'best one she'd ever had'. Technically, anything he served her that was vaguely cake-like would meet that bar. But here she was, pacing in her room like a caged tiger, wondering what he would be bringing in shortly, and whether it would be accompanied by any presents. He'd hinted at something like that over the last few weeks, when they'd been... not alone-ing together. Erm.

The weeks since they'd returned from fighting the last Angel had been... rather wild. They'd been 'not alone'-ing every chance they could, every spare moment Misato wasn't home with them. They'd been 'not alone' so much Asuka had occasionally dizzily wondered if she should go to Dr. Akagi and ask to be checked for a couple of diseases: Russian Fingers and Roman Hands.

They were still gingerly avoiding putting a label on what they were doing other than being 'not alone'. And to at least some extent they were both intentionally letting the hormonal exhilaration of necking and so on occupy all their time to avoid even letting such a discussion take place. But six weeks and change of that had kind of used such excuses up to the limit, and the prospect of birthday cake and a gift, items which somewhat precluded immediately resorting to checking each other's tonsils for flavor, had put Asuka into a growing worry over what they were going to say when they couldn't immediately stop their mouths from talking.

"The trouble is, I don't want to stop this. Whatever this is. It's been... nice," Asuka muttered to her reflection when she stopped to stare into her vanity's mirror. "Warm. Comfy. Not alone. Int-"
She cut the thought off with a practiced snap. It wasn't fast enough. 'Intimate?' murmured a traitorous little voice from somewhere inside.

"No, no, none of that. We are not... thinking of that kind of thing." The little voice was not helpful, muttering things about 'you know his body awful well and spend a lot of time kissing him for someone who is 'not' your boyfriend'. Asuka gritted her teeth and resumed pacing. This was stupid. At this rate she was going to work herself up into such a lather she was likely to scream at him out of tension alone when he opened the door to her room. She could smell the cake baking in the kitchen. It couldn't be long. She had to think of something to break herself out of this, and quickly.

Just... seize the initiative and dictate terms? Tell him 'Hey, you're my boyfriend now. We may or may not acknowledge this in public or to Misato, I haven't decided yet.'? It would probably work. He'd almost certainly go along with it. Once she might have sniffed in disdain and said 'of course he would, he's spineless', but after he'd ignored orders to dive into a fricking volcano for her, she had to admit at least in the privacy of her head that he'd do it because he wanted to. She mostly managed to hold off the thought that part of why he'd want to was because it was what made her happy. He'd been disconcertingly evident in how much that drove his moves over the last few weeks. It wasn't like he never pushed back at her. He did, but only when it was something that might threaten their... arrangement, whatever it was. He'd been the one to firmly ban messing around when Misato was not either deep asleep in her own room, or passed out drunk. Luckily, both happened frequently enough it rarely cramped their own clandestine nighttime meetings.

"I mean, just telling him 'we're dating now' is similar to how we got here in the first place," she mused. On the other hand, it was really nice when he did take the initiative.

She had an idea.

+++

Shinji carefully balanced the two small plates and forks on top of the box in his left hand, and made very sure to be careful with the chocolate cake in his right. This had to go perfectly.

So he felt kind of dumb when he got to the door to Asuka's room, formerly his, and was forced to resort to fumbling at the door with his toes until Asuka heard him and opened it for him. She quickly urged him inside and darted a nervous look down the hallway towards Misato's room. Their guardian had headed to bed immediately after supper, pleading fatigue, and had left them alone since. This happily gave Shinji the time he needed to finish baking without being noticed, since a birthday cake would be tough to explain away.

He tiptoed inside and carefully set the cake, plates, and present on her desk. He turned to face her and opened his mouth to-

"Ask me out! Right now!" she snapped.

"Buh... I..." Shinji's brain skipped a gear. "O-out where?" he tried to catch up.

Asuka smacked herself in the face with her palm. Muttering in German, she glared at him. "Me! Ask me out! On a date!"

"Da-" His brain popped the clutch even harder, and stalled. They'd been avoiding this kind of conversation for weeks. Now Asuka had nearly beat him over the head with it before he could even make the careful, cautious approach he'd been planning for tonight. With a mental shrug, his brain tried throwing forward whatever words were on hand, some of which had been ready. "Happy birthday to me?" he babbled.

"No, it's still mine. And you owe me a cake, too," Asuka replied. "But first you have to ask me out. Then we're dating, and you get to be my boyfriend." She managed the last bit without even stumbling over the dread word, much. "Problem we've been dodging solved. We'll work out the details later. So get with the asking." She waved at him like she was trying to sign him to throw a fastball. She quickly stuffed her hands behind herself to prevent them from escalating to full-on semaphore signaling.

"Boyfriend!" Shinji repeated, voice high and strangled. It was his birthday. Or Christmas. Or New Year's. "Yes! Good! I brought cake!" He shook his head, trying to reset. "Asuka, would you go out with me? ...Someplace?"

"Close enough!" Asuka proclaimed, and grabbed him by the shirt, hauling him closer. She kissed her brand new boyfriend properly, for the first time. She'd never had one to do that with before. It was very pleasant.

Eventually, they separated. At which point they both discovered Asuka's grab and pull had hauled Shinji right into the cake a bit, and the side and lower parts of his shirt and shorts were now very well frosted. Probably tasted good, too. Asuka laughed, but Shinji took them off with a grumble, muttering about how he'd have to stain-treat them before he washed it. He rolled the set up enough to put the chocolatey bits on the inside and tossed it towards the door. He'd take it on the way out. This left him in only his boxers, but it was a warm Tokyo-3 night anyway.

Asuka paid no attention. She had more interesting things on her mind. Some of the frosting had oozed through the fabric of Shinji's shirt and left a little mark on his skin. Not much, but enough that her new boyfriend was now... garnished. She sat down at the desk chair, scooted closer, and began to clean him off.

With her tongue.

The produced two effects. First, Shinji began to giggle, then laugh as the sensation tickled his vulnerable flank.

Second, the noise of such apparently woke up their guardian.

The door slid open sharply, and a semi-awake Misato growled. "What the Hell is- ASUKA?"

Both Pilots froze, staring at Misato like she was an oncoming train.

"This isn't what it looks like!" the shirtless Third Child burst out.

"My boyfriend tastes like chocolate!" Asuka babbled.

"I am waaaay too sober for this," Misato said with a wince. "Oh, and happy birthday, Asuka. Did I interrupt you unwrapping something?"

"This isn't what it looks like!" Asuka protested. "He was frosted!"

"I was going to give Asuka my cake, and then a big present!" Shinji wailed.

Misato clamped her hands around her head. "Alright, look. Asuka, stop... licking Shinji. Shinji, get dressed, and go to your room. Both of you got to bed, and you two can explain what the fuck was going on in the morning. I'm going back to bed, and wishing I was living alone."

Asuka twisted her lips into a frown. She wasn't going to let this ruin her birthday, not when things were looking up. She defiantly took one of the knives, cut a generous slice of the cake, and took a big bite. "Trush me, Mishato," she said around it. "It's better to be 'not alone'. Then you can upgrade to 'cake and boyfriend'." She swallowed.

Best birthday cake ever.

Last edited:
Boyfriend!" Shinji repeated, voice high and strangled. It was his birthday. Or Christmas. Or New Year's. "Yes! Good! I brought cake!" He shook his head, trying to reset. "Asuka, would you go out with me? ...Someplace?"

"Close enough!" Asuka proclaimed, and grabbed him by the shirt, hauling him closer. She kissed her brand new boyfriend properly, for the first time. She'd never had one to do that with before. It was very pleasant.

Shinji's good at stumbling into relationships it seems :D
I wanna see where someplace is now, part 3 when?

At which point they both discovered Asuka's grab and pull had hauled Shinji right into the cake a bit, and the side and lower parts of his shirt and shorts were now very well frosted. Probably tasted good, too.

The cake? Or... :V

"I am waaaay too sober for this," Misato said with a wince. "Oh, and happy birthday, Asuka. Did I interrupt you unwrapping something?"

To be fair that's probably the best birthday present she's had in a long while, no wonder she was unwrapping it with such vigor!

Loved it :D And happy birthday to Asuka!

*cracks knuckles*

"Ask me out! Right now!" she snapped.

Good to hear from you Strypgia. That was a good side story. Now I can't help but imagine them getting some frosting on each other and licking each other. On a side note, does this look like something they would do on Asyuka's Birthday?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giIOM22L58s

If Shinji was the dark-haired one. ;)

Last edited:
Negative, the cake delivery is interrupted by a way that Asuka phrases her request/command.
Thank you very much for the bit of fanart. This would have been a slightly different scene if Asuka had reacted to Shinji by kicking him in the head so far he fell into the cake. Misato might have walked in on a partially-dressed food fight. This probably wouldn't have improved her headache. :)

Trying for a Hangover bit next. A&T is still fighting me.

Huge thanks back atcha for the update and kind remarks, Stryp.

However! I realize now I forgot to mention in the preceding spoiler, so... that the art was more regarding the timing of the post, for a 22 y.o. Asuka, instead of an alternate take on turning 13 Asuka. I put 22 candles on the cake lol..

Trying for a Hangover bit next. A&T is still fighting me.
To echo MauerNicolasGlee, more power to you.

For what you're aiming for, I'd say Ty Burrell. Evoking Bryan Cranston conjures images of Walter White more than Dr. Tim Whatley or Hal - and suddenly the idea of Bryan Cranston performing as Gendo becomes compelling - if played straight. But for what you're looking for: it'd have to be Ty Burrell.
Thanks. Makes it a bit easier, Burrell definitely works more for what's essentially 'Mel Brooks and Buck Henry's Evangelion'.

If we're talking about the other kind of cake day... well, reddit doesn't exist Post-Impact. Truly, even the Evangelion universe/timeline has something good to offer.

If we're talking about the other kind of cake day... well, reddit doesn't exist Post-Impact. Truly, even the Evangelion universe/timeline has something good to offer.
Well, I'd not be too sure of that. A certain other anime takes place pre-Impact. Though, NGE fans be assured that Makinami, not Makima, is an outright babe according to 4 out of 5 subreddit attendees.

Now the question goes back to, apart from A&T Shinji, who can impress with the best baked cake?

Well, I'd not be too sure of that. A certain other anime takes place pre-Impact. Though, NGE fans be assured that Makinami, not Makima, is an outright babe according to 4 out of 5 subreddit attendees.

Now the question goes back to, apart from A&T Shinji, who can impress with the best baked cake?
Maybe Hikari... assuming Touji doesn't snarf it down before anyone gets to it.

Back