Yeah, it's inherent to them. The exceptions tend to involve some seriously wild nonsense or irreplaceable materials.

But yeah, we should hopefully squeeze a visit in to Toki soon to see what kind of deals we can make going forward. But I do want to get the Gabriel Rematch done next turn at the latest.

Our relationship with Toki is at 10/10. If we can't ask him about Egg Iron now, we straight up can't ask him.

Yeah fair. We should spend the money on the best metal they'll sell us then.

Oh, 100%. We want, like, literally up to 1000 oz of Forged Iron, or something silly like that, and then enough of actual magic metals (like Storm Iron and so on) for at least a sword, and likely a few other weapons as well. Egg Iron is also a possibility, though we definitely aren't getting enough of that for, like, Abjorn's armor...we might want some, though, depending on the price and what can be done with it.

Yeah, it's inherent to them. The exceptions tend to involve some seriously wild nonsense or irreplaceable materials.

But yeah, we should hopefully squeeze a visit in to Toki soon to see what kind of deals we can make going forward. But I do want to get the Gabriel Rematch done next turn at the latest.

I actually think we need to spar with Steinarr first. I have two reasons, one mechanical and one thematic:

The mechanical one is that we're going to lose. And if we lose some time before the last turn of this year, due to our Muna granting half again our dice, we get more bonus dice (as we have more dice this year than usual).

The thematic reason is that we basically just lost a fight to someone significantly more powerful. Sure, we pulled out a win, but we did it by calling in backup...without the dwarves we would have lost. We need to practice fighting people more powerful than us, and seeing how we fare against the strongest person we know is an important way to both remind ourselves of the lesson in our recent engagement (ie: not all battles are winnable) and to see how far we still have to go, while comparing Steinarr to Hookfingers is also good for several reasons, both practical (as it gives us a better idea of all sorts of things) and emotional (reminding ourselves that Steinarr could wreck that dude). Like, seeing what Steinarr can do seems super relevant for planning how to fight more powerful people, so it seems like a good call. He'll hold back, obviously, but him holding back is still miles more powerful than almost any of our other sparring options and should get us good and useful information.

We'd definitely still spar with Gabriel before the year is out, mind you, we certainly intend to do that as well, all that is just why we might spar with Steinarr first.

Sobering Drunk Dwarves (Shard)
Sobering Drunk Dwarves

Drinking laughing dreaming,
Drunken dwarven warren.

Hunting hungry huskarl,
Hooknails nailing beardlings.

Spearmist [1] meeting spearflame [2],
Spiking mind-mail shielding [3].

Scourging wining scorching [4],
Sobering dwarfs winning.

[1] Hooknails (I'm taking creative liberties here)
[2] Halla/Sagaseeker
[3] Hooknails wrecking our shit.
[4] Halla casting Purge Alcohol.

AN: So, dwarfs. Obviously this is a textual medium, but man, behavior wise they really slap right into the sweet uncanny valley zone. They have emotions like a human: regret, vengeance, joy, concern, greed... and they think like a computer-corporation. The splicing between the two, having humanlike traits and yet inhuman thinking is very.. vivid? Exciting? I don't have the right words exactly. You can emphatize with them and then be surprised repeatedly. They are very interesting to interact with.. using Halla as a medium, that is.

This one should be in full (or close to it) Skaldic rules. There's a trick to this thing, I'm sure of it.. English has a vast library of words. Wordsmithing isn't that hard, either!

Last edited:
There were enough glowstones to upgrade your buildings and also your soulscape
I imagine Dwarf Commerce also requires Gold as your currency, is that about right @Imperial Fister ? How's that kind of thing going to work anyway? Do we find out if we go visit Toki later?
They like gold, but also like valuable objects in general. They prefer their coins the best, but it can be kind of difficult for a human to understand the denominations as their value directly correlates to the Stock Market *spooky lightning strike*

But they like gold.

On the topic of dwarf craft. Dwarf artifice is inherently magical. Telling them to not use magic is like telling your heart to stop beating. It's a good way to waste an hour if you want to accomplish nothing.

Sobering Drunk Dwarves
Nice! A reward dice and an orthstirr. I haven't checked, but I'm about 90% certain that you're at the limit on dice. Might want to spend them.
AN: So, dwarfs. Obviously this is a textual medium, but man, behavior wise they really slap right into the sweet uncanny valley zone.
Hell yeah! I'm very happy that it's landed nicely.

0~0~0

Ahk, I'm so excited for the coming turns. Steinarr spar, Gabriel spar, playdates. And then the far future, where Sigurdr takes to the sea and the absolute fuckery that a journey to Miklagard requires. Seriously, just getting there is gonna be several arcs in of itself. 50 fucking miles of nonstop upstream rowing — vikings were built abnormal.

Very nice then! Our Soulscape should be quite good by the time we're ready to break through.

Hey @Shard , you want to consider using some of your Reward Dice to further rig our cultivation in order to get some slack since you're at the cap? Either more dice on the setting up the fields or helping me with the fence?

Also, @Imperial Fister , I imagine that we still get the benefits of the big Soulscape Projects even before we break through, right?

I wonder if a crucifix would be a good going away present for Gabriel? Or some sort of metal rosary to remember his time in the viking lands by.

Edit: Just any food from the sun. I think is extremely valuable to them.

Very nice then! Our Soulscape should be quite good by the time we're ready to break through.

Hey @Shard , you want to consider using some of your Reward Dice to further rig our cultivation in order to get some slack since you're at the cap? Either more dice on the setting up the fields or helping me with the fence?

I feel like they're better used on, like, making combo tricks turn out right or advancement stuff? I can certainly move any dice replaced by Reward Dice to the fields and/or the fences if people so desired. I think they're no different from normal dice when spent on the fields or fences, but somewhat better in other places.

They seemed very into surface food in general, yeah.

Last edited:
Nice! A reward dice and an orthstirr. I haven't checked, but I'm about 90% certain that you're at the limit on dice. Might want to spend them.

Also, @Imperial Fister , I imagine that we still get the benefits of the big Soulscape Projects even before we break through, right?
Personally I was planning on saving up for the next child/death save(s), lol. Inspiration is not infinite!

That being said, if there's an RNG d100 roll coming up, or a roll determining how well/badly our children's playdates go, I think I would like to spent my reward dice there? It seems more efficient/effective to use Reward Dice to tilt things that are normally Just Out Of Our Hands.

Personally I was planning on saving up for the next child/death save(s), lol. Inspiration is not infinite!

That being said, if there's an RNG d100 roll coming up, or a roll determining how well/badly our children's playdates go, I think I would like to spent my reward dice there?

It's more that you literally can't gain any more Reward Dice until you've spent some :p

That being said, if there's an RNG d100 roll coming up, or a roll determining how well/badly our children's playdates go, I think I would like to spent my reward dice there? It seems more efficient/effective to use Reward Dice to tilt things that are normally Just Out Of Our Hands.

This is fair. You might want to burn one or two since you're capped, but keeping the lion's share is very reasonable. This is definitely the kind of thing I'm saving mine for as well. We are probably conceiving a kid in, like, around 5 turns, after all.

Well... Sort of.

Having fields in your soul will be very useful for food purposes
Playdates will have rolls to determine compatibility.

Well... Sort of.

Hrm, okay.

Speaking of new Hallaspawn though, how do Twins work out? Is it just "If all of the baby rolls are the same gender, there's another check to see if they're identical, and identical twins just get the exact same starting traits but at the cost of one" or something?

"Halla, just where are you getting all your food from?"
"I have an eternally fertile farm with fair weather where I grow my food."
"Okay fine, you could have just said it's a secret, you know."
In that case, can I put in 3d6 of my Reward Dice into the Playdate Compatibility roll(s)?

Hrm, okay.

Speaking of new Hallaspawn though, how do Twins work out? Is it just "If all of the baby rolls are the same gender, there's another check to see if they're identical, and identical twins just get the exact same starting traits but at the cost of one" or something?

Why would identical twins get the same Traits? I feel like the only ones that would need to be in common would be Giant's Blood and Handsome/Beautiful. Everything else could be different.

"Halla, just where are you getting all your food from?"
"I have an eternally fertile farm with fair weather where I grow my food."
"Okay fine, you could have just said it's a secret, you know."
Halla is Norse, so I imagine the conversation would continue something like
"Did you just imply I was lying? You can take that back or take up arms, we settle this like adults"

So I guess an norsemen if they managed to set up a farm in their soul can not be starved since they can just pop into their soulscape and bring out food. They might get thirsty but if they can install a well in there that's also not a problem.

Last edited:
Back