Brockton's Celestial Forge (Worm/Jumpchain)

Obligatory...

*HEADDESK*
*HEADDESK*
*HEADDESK*

...in any case, @LordRoustabout, if these delays keep continuing, wouldn't you take some time thinking about whether changing the posting schedule to something like every other Friday be better?

Or are these sorts of delays irregular enough that you don't feel such measures are necessary?
I'm just glad he finally (For a long while now) changed to an every-other-week schedule to prevent weekly apologies. Now it's only every other week occasionally.

Your quality is a quantity of its own.

...Currently 2.1 million words of quality, but still, delays are no problem for us.

If y'all don't get the joke, the quote is "Quantity has a quality of its own" and equally applies for the regularly posted gold here.

I'm just going to put my two cents out there: I don't think anyone would really mind if you just wanted to shift the "regularly scheduled posting time" from Wednesday to Thursday as a permanent fixture. Yes, there's something to be said for keeping up the tradition of "always posting at the same time every week", but recent chapters seem to be posted with a 24-hour delay somewhat frequently anyway so why not just make it official policy? Every time a delay happens it seems to cause you a lot of stress and regret, and this seems to me like a very easy way to alleviate that which no one would take issue with.

Last edited:
I was honestly surprised that there was no delay announcements, and with the "half length chapter" it doesn't seem like it can be finished in a day tbh. Lord you need to relax, i follow stories that take months to update same word count you do in weeks. if two weeks isn't enough anymore give yourself more time its better than burning out completely

Frankly, just having a set update schedule is more than ninety percent of worm fics can boast, and regularly clocking over 10k per chapter unless it's an interlude is Roust's own claim to fame. The delays are a minor inconvenience compared to the level of benefits we're already enjoying.

That is to say, don't be entitled. Roust has slapped down over 2.1 million words in three-and-a-half years, published, best-selling authors couldn't hack a quarter of that that, much less for non-profit entertainment. Part of being a good community and audience is respecting the authors' limitations, standards, snd circumstances. If Roust needs an extra day, an extra week, or an extra month to be satisfied with his product, that's his right as creator.

Seeya tomorrow Roust.

He has a bit longer than that to go, but that is because Russian Caravan is in first place at 2,530,490 words (though it is complete now).
Huh? Never heard of that one before. Onto my to read list it goes.
But since it's a two-parter (1,667,327 words for part one and 863,163 words for part two) one could somewhat reasonably argue that the parts of that story are two distinct, albeit connected, worm-fics. And neither of it's parts is in the running for top-5 by itself.

But yeah, the existence of that story makes the claim that Taylor Varga is probably the longest worm-fic there is highly questionable. So I guess @mp3.1415player does need to change his signature.

Huh? Never heard of that one before. Onto my to read list it goes.
But since it's a two-parter (1,667,327 words for part one and 863,163 words for part two) one could somewhat reasonably argue that the parts of that story are two distinct, albeit connected, worm-fics. And neither of it's parts is in the running for top-5 by itself.

But yeah, the existence of that story makes the claim that Taylor Varga is probably the longest worm-fic there is highly questionable. So I guess @mp3.1415player does need to change his signature.
That's because it's fairly new and it's author updated every few days. To put it in proper context bcf was longer than it before it's Christmas break but got overtaken during it plus it's been finished for a week or two by now so in 2-3 months it's author churned out over 500k.

I would also note tho that to my understanding Varga's ffn entry has it's author's notes count which are omitted from Ao3 and it also has non canon omakes and sidestories in their too so I'd consider bcf as longer than it.

I had very much hoped to avoid a delay, but it doesn't look like I will be able to complete the chapter to my satisfaction by tonight. Rather than put out a truncated chapter, I'm announcing a 24-hour delay so that I can properly polish and close out the chapter. My apologies for the short notice, but I believe this is preferable to releasing a rough, half-length chapter.
As has been born out by experience, I remain happy to trust your judgement on such matters.

That's because it's fairly new and it's author updated every few days. To put it in proper context bcf was longer than it before it's Christmas break but got overtaken during it plus it's been finished for a week or two by now so in 2-3 months it's author churned out over 500k.

I would also note tho that to my understanding Varga's ffn entry has it's author's notes count which are omitted from Ao3 and it also has non canon omakes and sidestories in their too so I'd consider bcf as longer than it.
In the same vein, in the FFN and SV versions of BCF the perk descriptions are part of the word count, and even the Ao3 version doesn't have all of them in the separate author's notes.

In the same vein, in the FFN and SV versions of BCF the perk descriptions are part of the word count, and even the Ao3 version doesn't have all of them in the separate author's notes.
Yeah, that's why I initially gave it that "about 4 chapters" buffer instead immediately declearing BCF the new probably longest worm-fic there is. Too much ambiguity...

But now our humble BFC does need another 600k words before we can declare it the probably longest worm-fic there is without having that claim immediately contested.

I'm just going to put my two cents out there: I don't think anyone would really mind if you just wanted to shift the "regularly scheduled posting time" from Wednesday to Thursday as a permanent fixture. Yes, there's something to be said for keeping up the tradition of "always posting at the same time every week", but recent chapters seem to be posted with a 24-hour delay somewhat frequently anyway so why not just make it official policy? Every time a delay happens it seems to cause you a lot of stress and regret, and this seems to me like a very easy way to alleviate that which no one would take issue with.
a timeline of events:
- lord shifts the post date from wednesday to thursday
- lord posts the chapter on thursday
- lord now has 2 weeks until the next post deadline he's set for himself
- lord once again does not have quite enough free time in that 2 week period to fully finish the chapter in a way that satisfies his artistic intent and it needs another day or so of work
- ???
- one day delay happens

all of that to say essentially this:
Delays are normal.
If you schedule it every 2 Fridays, you will still be facing delays.

a timeline of events:
- lord shifts the post date from wednesday to thursday
- lord posts the chapter on thursday
- lord now has 2 weeks until the next post deadline he's set for himself
- lord once again does not have quite enough free time in that 2 week period to fully finish the chapter in a way that satisfies his artistic intent and it needs another day or so of work
- ???
- one day delay happens

all of that to say essentially this:
Obviously, the solution is for LordR to switch to a monthly release schedule, and then release a chapter early, every two weeks or so.

Back