Both men looked at their now empty beer bottles. "So what do we want to do now, take over the world?" the Tinker asked.

"Oh hell no. Too much paperwork, plus your girls would kill us, followed by the dragons."

"True, man, all too true."
Trust me, the girls wouldn't kill you. They'd MAKE YOU DO ALL THE PAPERWORK, in triplicate, by hand, with full descriptions written in proper English, no spell/grammar checker and no carbon paper.

Torture comes in many formats. Paperwork is right up near the top, next to iron lungs and the rack.

Both men looked at their now empty beer bottles. "So what do we want to do now, take over the world?" the Tinker asked.

"Oh hell no. Too much paperwork, plus your girls would kill us, followed by the dragons."

"True, man, all too true."
These guys have their heads on straight. (I tagged that one with Informative, put it that way!)

"Oh, I agree," Miss Militia said. "Then again, we all need some happiness sometimes. You can't be grim and dark all the time."
That sounds like...
"Tell that to some Capefic authors," Naurelin grumbled. "Some of them took what's going on here, added a constant gloomy overcast, a foot of stinking muck, and had everyone making the wrong choices for the worst reasons."
...yep, it's definitely shots fired at Wildbow!
Xellos' next words would be recorded for posterity: "Oh shit."
So I'm guessing their last confrontation went something like this, with Ragnar as the Hulk and Xellos as Loki.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/SfhxWtWOQQc?si=2f7PceknYdHQxOaP

Was her full name Ginny Di?

My editor asked the same question. My answer was I pulled a random merfolk name out of the Aether (aka the internet), which was Gineva. IOW, a fun coincidence.

Was this a Splash reference. I remembered watching it with the family. My parents were okay with nudity in film as long as there were nothing explicit, or too suggestive. I think a lot of people I know we're like that.

>Ding!< Have an Internet!

(out of character) why do I feel like a certain Kaiju sized shotgun is going to be needed for the final battle? Because from the refresh that I have read, they might want to get all the help they can get.

The Tom Hanks reference, heh. Well done.

Now we just need references to the other two equally so-bad-its-corny-good '80s films involving mythologies colliding. The one about a guy saving an Angel, and the one about an Egyptian woman's soul being stuffed into a mannequin at a high-end mall.

I realize this is quite the left turn, but I'm in the middle of a re-read of the story, and I realized I haven't seen Theo Anders since back when Missy made her first visit to Sigil. Did I forget something, because I thought he'd become a member of the Brockton Bay Wards?

I realize this is quite the left turn, but I'm in the middle of a re-read of the story, and I realized I haven't seen Theo Anders since back when Missy made her first visit to Sigil. Did I forget something, because I thought he'd become a member of the Brockton Bay Wards?

I think he's a Ward and likely has been since the E88 remnants had a complete meltdown, but not in Brockton Bay.

I think he's a Ward and likely has been since the E88 remnants had a complete meltdown, but not in Brockton Bay.

Well, he was with Missy, as I mentioned, when she first went to Sigil, which was after the E88 mess. I just don't remember if he transferred out when Kayden left, or something else. Now I'm gonna have to watch closely during my read to see if it was just mentioned in passing or something.

Well, he was with Missy, as I mentioned, when she first went to Sigil, which was after the E88 mess. I just don't remember if he transferred out when Kayden left, or something else. Now I'm gonna have to watch closely during my read to see if it was just mentioned in passing or something.
I just re-read this, and I don't think I remember a mention of him being transferred....

Kayden is Theo's guardian until he's 18, so whichever protectorate department she got assigned to - someplace sunny, so probably Phoenix, Las Vegas, or San Diego - is where Theo is at, too. It's not mentioned specifically in story.

There are so many little gaps here and there, I should probably do a rewrite after I clear my current workload. Some time in 2035 sounds about right. :)

...yep, it's definitely shots fired at Wildbow!

It's also a salvo fired in the direction of Games Workshop, Blizzard, and a couple other groups where nothing the players do will ever make anything better.

Last edited:
It's also a salvo fired in the direction of Games Workshop, Blizzard, and a couple other groups where nothing the players do will ever make anything better.
Let us never forget White Wolf as they should be legendary for writing the Final Cataclysm for the Old World of Darkness and making the New Worlds of Darkness titles from the literal post-apocalyptic splinters which resulted from it. Honestly, I haven't seen that kind of escalation outside of Final Fantasy III/VI. (And the latter let you pick up the pieces and eventually take down Kefka Worldbreaker!)

Diablo? Gets better as a result of the player's actions? In Diablo 1 you fight your way through the church, catacombs, and burning hells and slay Diablo. Only to then shove the soulstone fragment into your own damn forehead, in the belief that you're will is strong enough to contain an archdemon. Canonically, the player character was the Warrior (assuming you were solo), who's the son of Mad King Leoric. End result, the town of Tristram is saved (for now), hundreds of demons are slain, and you've got a archdemon stuck in your head.

Diablo 2 deals with the fallout of the first game. The warrior who defeated Diablo has lost his battle of wills within days or weeks of shoving the soulstone into his forehead. Diablo is now going around summoning forth demons, and releasing his brothers. The player in this game is one of 5 or so different people who are chasing after the Dark Wanderer (Diablo in human form) and desperately trying to stop the tide of Evil being unleashed in his wake. By the end you have multiple settlements wiped out, still others that suffered serious casualties, and a mountain has been destroyed, as well as the Artifact hidden in that mountain, which you had to destroy to prevent it from being corrupted.

Diablo 3 takes place about 18 to 20 years later. In your wake you leave multiple major cities in ruins, an important border keep wrecked, the High Heavens in tatters, and Diablo has just been released yet again after you had previously sealed the archdemon away.

I refuse to play Diablo Immortal, and have not played Diablo 4. But I very much doubt you leave things better after the adventures.

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure that's only true of WOW and maybe Diablo 4. The rest of their games things got at least somewhat better.

Diablo 1 : You're screwed, despite all that you did.
Diablo 2 : World gets worse, because Tyriel has to destroy the Worldstone.
Diablo 3 : Couldn't play because of the need for a reliable internet connection.
Diablo 4 : Didn't play, lost interest in the series as a whole.

Haven't played any WoW, mainly because of the issue I had with Diablo 3 (which has since been resolved; 100 Mbit Fiber for the win!)

And I forgot the World of Darkness. Ugh. Need a shower, I feel unclean now.

I much prefer Disgaea for my demons, devils, angels and the like, because while dark, it's also whacked, and actually has a decent ending most of the time. Things actually get better. Of those, Disgaea 4 and D2 are favorites.

You mean to tell me that Bahamut's only Paladin on Earth Bet isn't protecting the place where dragons roost?

He goes where there are people who need help. Brockton Bay has his Champion, Herald, Tiamat, Tamara, Hlal, and Garyx' avatar.

And I forgot the World of Darkness. Ugh. Need a shower, I feel unclean now.
Honestly, unless you are talking about a different World of Darkness, WoD Demons really aren't that bad aside from power-scaling issues. They require a human host to even exist outside the Abyss, said Host cannot have a Soul, and they aren't that much different humans save for their individual abilities and them being a walking identity crisis.
EDIT: admittedly, certain Legions are incredibly awkward to play as, but then again, the same could be said for many DND backstories.

Last edited:
Back