You know this chapter reminded me... how did that one Dragon Lich die? the one who was/is a champion of Mystra? or is that dude still (undead)alive(?) and trying to figure out how to make an all powerful, all breath attacks dragon baby?

You know this chapter reminded me... how did that one Dragon Lich die? the one who was/is a champion of Mystra? or is that dude still (undead)alive(?) and trying to figure out how to make an all powerful, all breath attacks dragon baby?

Daurgothoth did what he'd done previously - he's sequestered himself in a demi-plane of his own making, waiting for things to settle down and to avoid problems with any of the draconic gods, what few exist any more. He may be the most powerful creature on Faerun, but Tamara could end him with little trouble. He'd like to avoid that.

One does not reach where he's at without being cautious and careful.

I honestly cannot help but wonder if Mordenkainen would actually be that stupid considering the relationship between Melissa and the Lady. Because that sounds like a way to get the Lady pissed at you...
Of course, he's not that dumb. But he does like to keep his dignity. That's why he's not in. If he doesn't encounter them, it's a non-issue.

Daurgothoth did what he'd done previously - he's sequestered himself in a demi-plane of his own making, waiting for things to settle down and to avoid problems with any of the draconic gods, what few exist any more. He may be the most powerful creature on Faerun, but Tamara could end him with little trouble. He'd like to avoid that.

One does not reach where he's at without being cautious and careful.
The dude is strong enough to fight lower level gods or at least their avatars that we have stats for but yeah, he is literally only interested in furthering his own power and knowledge so that makes sense why he isn't involved in things. Mystra made him a champion cause that is literally all she wants people to do with magic, explore and innovate with it.

The dude is strong enough to fight lower level gods or at least their avatars that we have stats for but yeah, he is literally only interested in furthering his own power and knowledge so that makes sense why he isn't involved in things. Mystra made him a champion cause that is literally all she wants people to do with magic, explore and innovate with it.

Well, current version of Mystra at least. The one who made Elieminster a Champion was a bit more active and goal oriented.

You forgot the part where she is also forced by the Faerun Overdeity to take Chosen so that she does not accidentally usurp him.

Not "Forget" so much as "didn't know to begin with". My knowledge of the Forgotten Realms setting mostly comes from a select few novels. Namely Eliminster: Making of a Mage, Pool of Radiance, and the one about an untrained natural wild magic sorcerer (I think) who's on the run from the Red Wizards of Thay (I think, it's been a while).

Not "Forget" so much as "didn't know to begin with". My knowledge of the Forgotten Realms setting mostly comes from a select few novels. Namely Eliminster: Making of a Mage, Pool of Radiance, and the one about an untrained natural wild magic sorcerer (I think) who's on the run from the Red Wizards of Thay (I think, it's been a while).
The Spellfire Trilogy is what you're referring to, I think. Aspiring Rogue gets in over her head when she gets a Power so rare that most think there can only be one wielder of Spellfire in the world.

Spellfire can eat magics, drain magic items, heal and destroy in equal measure and is so overpowered that Mystra was like "OP, Please nerf."

Note: overpowered doesn't count when looking at game rules, where they did nerf the shit out of it, in the name of "game balance".

But, by the trilogy, a first level commoner went from commoner to able to attack and destroy a good part of the entire capital of Thay in less than two years.

That piece of crap. The third book is literally the only book I have ever thrown across the room, after getting to the bit where she commits suicide, and I will never again read anything he wrote.
I blame the Spellfire arc for the whole bit of Mystra getting killed as a Goddess and Elminster subsequently going mad, never mind for a damn heartbeat that he'd been gifted by the goddess of magic before her, back in the day. To be blunt, I ignore the Forgotten Realms novels and have done for years.

FYI, The novelization of Baldurs Gate not only killed off Imoen when the games say she went on to become a pretty powerful mage, but also described Minsc as a redhead when in the games he was a bald guy with purple face tattoos - they also completely omitted Boo, too. Given that the games are recognized canon for the forgotten realms, i can't help but wonder what the writer was smoking at the time...

FYI, The novelization of Baldurs Gate not only killed off Imoen when the games say she went on to become a pretty powerful mage, but also described Minsc as a redhead when in the games he was a bald guy with purple face tattoos - they also completely omitted Boo, too. Given that the games are recognized canon for the forgotten realms, i can't help but wonder what the writer was smoking at the time...
Might have been the point in time where the IRL legal battle between....her....and the rest of the overall D&D staff/fandom was at its most bitter point. Things got weird at times around then with certain projects/novels/etc authorized prior to the switch in ownership of the copyrights.

The novelizations of Baldur's Gate well the best I could say about it is that never had a pair of books ever annoyed me more, I remember seriously wondering if the writers had actually known anything about the games before writing about them and left me side eying other works when saw their names on them.

he shouting and yelling by the men soon gave way to a sword being drawn, and a swing taken at the smaller humanoid…

… Who disappeared into a shadow, and popped up out of the man's own shadow to give him a powerful spinning kick to the back of the head.
Nice halfling shadow monk, many a GM I have irritated with one. Of course, as a GM I tend to use them as minibosses which irritates the players.

Personally, I would think they should run into a Ranger, a Faerie, a Sentient Hell Hound Pelt, a Badger Teamster, a human Fighter, and a Gynosphinx...from some of my favorite Greyhawk novels which I still own...

One of the things I always hated about the FR was the fact that you could throw a stone at a bush and hit:
a) A Harper
b)A Zentrim
c)Drizzit
d)Eliminster
e)insert high level named NPC HERE
f)All of the Above

Which reminds me to check out the 5E Planescape to see what the new lore changes are...

Cameos...
Nice halfling shadow monk, many a GM I have irritated with one. Of course, as a GM I tend to use them as minibosses which irritates the players.

Actually, it's a cameo. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is a favorite. So, It's a Goblin Shadow Monk, name of Gobta. His Tempest Wolf is around somewhere, too.

For those of you hunting cameo's and wanting a list:
  1. Spinnerette and Evil Spinnerette (as Heather and Alexis) from Spinnerette.
  2. Doc from The Whiteboard (As part of the PRT power testing crew and as a polar bear plushie)
  3. Rick from Rick and Morty (As the Power testing lead for Greg's power testing. His Morty is one Mortimer NIckelovich-Smythe.)
  4. Old Man Henderson and his Wife.
  5. USS New Jersey from Belated Battleships
  6. HMS Vampire, Repulse, and IJN Kongou from Arpeggio of Blue Steel
  7. Roger from The White Board (As a raccoon plushie)
  8. The Titular Whiteboard from The Whiteboard (as itself, doing what whiteboards normally do)
  9. Mab from Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures.
  10. Tuan Loguire from The Warlock in Spite of Himself.
  11. Lina Inverse, Luna Inverse, Sylpheel Nels Rahda and Spot from Slayers.
  12. Gourry Gabriev, Zelgadis Greywords, Amelia wil Tesla Saillune, and Gracia ul Naga Saillune from Slayers.
  13. John Constantine, from Hellblazer.
  14. Harry Dresden, from the novels.
  15. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, his wife and daughter.
  16. Jordan Stark and Andrea. also from Arpeggio of Blue Steel.
  17. Gobta, from That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.
  18. Cloak, Saurial and Metis from Taylor Varga.
  19. Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Muramasa no Kenshō from Harry and the Shipgirls.
  20. Dr. Theodore, Julia, Gina, Brianna, and Britanny Diggers from Gold Digger.
  21. Tiffany, Raquette, and Pojo, also from Gold Digger.
  22. Dr. Victor Frieze (aka Mr. Freeze) from Batman : TAS
  23. Crush, a Protecorate Hero, also hails from Gold Digger.
  24. Yeoman Janice Rand (by name only) from Star Trek (The Original Series)
  25. Sgt. Joe Friday and Officer Bill Cannon (Dragnet)
  26. Officers McCloud and Milner (ADAM-12)
  27. Detectives Murdoch and Crabtree (from The Murdoch Mysteries)
  28. Delores Umbridge (Harry Potter)
  29. Rory Mercury, aka Rory the Reaper (from GATE : Thus the JSDF fought)(Description Only).
  30. Phoenix Wright. Attorney at Law (from the games).
  31. The original Mythbusters crew, as the PRT's power testing group.
  32. Xellos, the trickster priest, from Slayers.
  33. Pinako Rockbell, Edward and Alphonse Elric, from Full Metal Alchemist
  34. Sam Fujiyama, from Quincy, M.E.
  35. Saitama (description only), from One Punch Man.
  36. Applejack, Applebloom, Big Mac, and Granny (as centaurs) from My Little Pony : Friendship Is Magic.
  37. Marge, Homer, Bart, Lisa and Maggie Simpson, from the Simpsons
  38. Master Chief Petty Officer John Spartan (The Master Chief, John-117, from Halo)
    (I know John Spartan is a character from a Stallone Action Film. You try to make a surname out of 117)
  39. Demon Lord Priere, from La Pucelle Tactics : Ragnarok, Disgaea 1/3/4/D2/5, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave (As Priere fille de Robert)
If anyone can find others, let me know and I'll add them to the list...

Last edited:
Harry Potter and Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series, you forgot about them!

She is not currently eligible for being on the list, but I would be perfectly fine if any of my Taylors wound cameoing. Especailly the one from Hell to Reign. She'd be a joy to see showing up...

The Spellfire Trilogy is what you're referring to, I think. Aspiring Rogue gets in over her head when she gets a Power so rare that most think there can only be one wielder of Spellfire in the world.

Spellfire can eat magics, drain magic items, heal and destroy in equal measure and is so overpowered that Mystra was like "OP, Please nerf."

Note: overpowered doesn't count when looking at game rules, where they did nerf the shit out of it, in the name of "game balance".

But, by the trilogy, a first level commoner went from commoner to able to attack and destroy a good part of the entire capital of Thay in less than two years.

Spellfire, that sounds about right. Didn't know it was a trilogy, I'd only ever read the first book. After that one, I gave up reading D&D novels. Pool of Radiance was poorly written and paced, and Spellfire was decently written but the climax literally came out of nowhere, and the main cast wasn't really that interesting. Eliminster: Making of a Mage was damn good though.

Back