Yeah, an extended barrel and mounting the bayonet lug on or or just before the finger guard would be a way to do it. Cutting down the 16" barrel from the civilian PS90 would probably be the easiest/cheapest way to go.

While mounting a bayonet on a floating barrel will affect the accuracy, it doesn't really impact the use of gun in close range or the use of the bayonet in melee.
Mounting a bayonet completely on frame/body? the closest thing to that that I can think of are ones on tube fed pump action shotguns with extended magazine tubes. Were what is normally the muzzle ring on the cross guard of the bayonet is placed over the end of the mag tube and the bayonet lug is mounted before the pump grip. Going that way on a P90 is obviously a no-go but I can imagine some sort of side mount with some reinforced mounting plates inside of the polymer body. Not the most secure or usable way of mounting a bayonet but doable, I suppose.
Replacing the polymer body with a stamped steel one is insane. The cost/effort for doing so is far to much. Especially since the only thing you gain from that is the ability to weld/solder directly to the body.
And then you tell us that the mounting point for the bayonet is under the muzzle of standard length barrel of the P90? (there's no such thing as short barrel P90, since that would mean the muzzle is somewhere inside of the body)
Sure, you can cut off the grip of the bayonet (making it unusable as knife/short sword) and install some sort of pocket and latch based mounting in the finger guard (the little nub in front of fore grip that prevents your fingers from accidentally sliding in front of the muzzle and in some version of the P90 houses the emitter for the integrated LAM) but that's even less secure/usable than some sort of side mount. And it can be done with the polymer body. No need for the stupidly expensive stamped sheet metal that wouldn't do anything for that option either.

I'm going out an a limb here and assume you originally chose the P90 as service weapon for the kobolts because it's sized quite well for people of their proportions and is generally a pretty decent weapon.

Which makes me rise my eyebrows at your supposed alternatives. Of the lot you named only the AKSU (which you didn't actually name) is even remotely appropriate as service weapon for kobolts.
A list of various bullpop weapons like the Steyer AUG or the LA80 is what I would've expected. Especially since you claim to have done some research into the matter.

Seriously, just go with the extended barrel P90. It's a pretty good choice for kobolts, the impact of the bayonet lug on the floating barrel on the accuracy is almost non-existent as long as the bayonet is of and if its on, the accuracy is still good enough for close range work. And if you bend the barrel by trying to block a strike or slashing it's easely and cheaply replaced.
Or, if you really wanted to send a message, the .500 nitro express pistol. Sure, it would launch a kobold backwards, but the problem would have a nice big hole in it.

Personally, I can think of several submachine guns going back decades that would be a good fit for a Kobold sized user, with the P-90 being about the largest gun someone that sized could handle without some sort of bipod. I'd almost expect a classic mini-Uzi or MP-5 to be a better choice for a Kobold Urbane Combat weapon. Yes, the P-90 has theoretically better range and penetration with ball ammo, but the smaller sub guns use easier to source 9mm ammo, and have alternate ammo options for improved penetration and/or better stopping power...

Personally, I can think of several submachine guns going back decades that would be a good fit for a Kobold sized user, with the P-90 being about the largest gun someone that sized could handle without some sort of bipod. I'd almost expect a classic mini-Uzi or MP-5 to be a better choice for a Kobold Urbane Combat weapon. Yes, the P-90 has theoretically better range and penetration with ball ammo, but the smaller sub guns use easier to source 9mm ammo, and have alternate ammo options for improved penetration and/or better stopping power...

And of course with the MP-5 there is the option of taking this attached (Yes that is a MP-5 attached grenade launcher).

As far as I could tell from the story - Tucker got the P-90's - Tia didn't ask where, doesn't want to think about it and officially doesn't want to know any details - so she doesn't ask... :D

I can also see the Kobolds running around with a number of WWII era sub-machine guns. Specifically the 2nd generation ones that were designed to be quickly and cheaply mass produced. (PPSh-41, PPS-43, M-3 Grease Gun, and the Sten Gun) Why? Simple, easy to manufacture and maintain, and easy to keep fed as they fire ammunition that's in ready supply around the world. Not overly large, and for quite a while there were hundreds of thousands on the black market for cheap. (especially in Eastern Europe, Africa, and the Middle-East.)

And if you can't buy them? No problem. A very basic machine shop, (such as a High school metal shop) and you can make them yourself.

The giants are probably just waiting for Ragnarok.

Even excluding the Norse gods, it seems everyone from King Arthur and his knights to multiple Jacks fought giants though King Arthur and his Knights stand out because they'd apparently go giant hunting out of boredom because apparently defeating legions didn't prove challenging enough.

Even excluding the Norse gods, it seems everyone from King Arthur and his knights to multiple Jacks fought giants though King Arthur and his Knights stand out because they'd apparently go giant hunting out of boredom because apparently defeating legions didn't prove challenging enough.
I mean, we're talking dudes that in one story invaded the Other World where the Fairies lived because... they were feeling kind of hungry...

I mean, we're talking dudes that in one story invaded the Other World where the Fairies lived because... they were feeling kind of hungry...
I mean, yeah, the Knights of the Round Table were a pretty impressive group of warriors, when they weren't punching themselves in the face, that is. Between Sir "I Can't Keep It In My Pants" Lancelot, Sir "I Can't Let Go Of A Grudge" Gawain, and Sir "I Am The Son Of Arthur" Mordred, the Knights' greatest enemy is themselves.

How in the blue blazes does one even mount a bayonet on a P-90??? Super glue?
Best guess? Tucker somehow got a shipment of the P-90 TR model. That one has three integrated MIL STD-1913 rails for mounting points, so adapting a bayonet to attach to one would be pretty simple. That would still leave two more attachment points open for other goodies.

Last edited:
Best guess? Tucker somehow got a shipment of the P-90 TR model. That one has three integrated MIL STD-1913 rails for mounting points, so adapting a bayonet to attack to one would be pretty simple. That would still leave two more attachment points open for other goodies.

Say rather, that the (former) E88 got a hold of a shipment of them.

After all, that's where most of Tucker's gear originally came from. He managed to empty 2 E88 armories before the Feds did when the Empire was declared a terrorist organization.

And sitting in a back tunnel, they have an M40 recoilless rifle, and a couple of Karl Gustavs. Fortunately, the Feds confiscated the Ontos.

Say rather, that the (former) E88 got a hold of a shipment of them.

After all, that's where most of Tucker's gear originally came from. He managed to empty 2 E88 armories before the Feds did when the Empire was declared a terrorist organization.

And sitting in a back tunnel, they have an M40 recoilless rifle, and a couple of Karl Gustavs. Fortunately, the Feds confiscated the Ontos.
Thinking about it, it'd be rather amusing for Tucker's Kobolds to encounter the gunsmith!Taylor I've done some playing with in my ideas thread. Then they'd have custom designed guns, meant specifically to play to their strengths and compensate for their weaknesses.

Woke, not Broke
Omake: Cursed? No, how 'bout Blessed; in modern lingo: Woke, not Broke

Naurelin, in dragongirl form, walked into view of a camera, carrying a small chest, complete with strange runes on its lid and iron bindings and a padlock without a keyhole. Setting the chest down on the table, she opened the padlock with a simple touch of a glowing claw, before pulling out several potion vials and flasks straight from a fantasy video game. The potions were green, but two had glimmers of a dusky orange light, while three had glimmers of a dawn pink. One small dose, less than a shot glass, glimmered in a swirl of pink and orange.

Looking at the camera, Naurelin began her speech.

"Quite a few people have noticed the similarities between current events and a tabletop role playing game known as Dungeons and Dragons. Between my status as a half-red, half-gold dragon, the arrival and might of Tiamat and Bahumat, and the recent upsurge of beings straight from the Monster Manual, people are taking the game more seriously. They are watching as the books become non-fiction.

"Current belief by those familiar with the lore is that a wandering wizard probably sought to profit by relaying historic documents and describing ancient history from a few other planes as if they were fiction.

"Now, in some of the older editions of the game, an item existed that was often described as Cursed. However, that description is clearly wrong in the eyes of quite a few people. After all, many of you may dream of getting your hands on a Girdle of Masculinity or Femininity.

"Magic rich environments can easily develop a rather cosmopolitan attitude toward some things, including gender identity, thanks to phenomena like the Girdle, Plane Shift, and simply having many species and races of intelligent life on one planet or Plane. Port and trade cities would become hubs of diversity far beyond mere skin tone.

"Now, while the Girdle is expensive and difficult to make, Alchemy offers a cheaper alternative. Enter, the Potions of Masculinity or Femininity. These potions vials contain those exact potions, in different potencies."

Naurelin picked up the two smallest vials, one gleaming orange and the other pink.

"These are the weakest strength full-doses, causing a seven-to-ten day long transformation. The actual initial transition takes about an hour and a half, and the same time to wear off."

The next two vials were set next to each other.

"These are the month long version, requiring a booster dose every month to keep going, but they let one remain transitioned as long as the booster doses are taken."

The flask, containing its pink-sparkling potion, was set out.

"This is the long term version. It lasts for upwards of five years and is intended for a guy who wants to become a mother. And the tiny vial is for parties, using a ten minute duration dose with almost instant transformation."

"I, and any other magic user with the training, can brew more. I have already set up an arrangement to share the profits off of these with a few brewers. The shortest durations cost proportionately more, while the month long dose costs less per week. Costs go to paying for ingredients, manufacturing costs, and bottling, and paying for the time and labor of the brewers."

"For some of you, trusting to a magic potion seems dangerous, and you refuse to try. That's okay, that's what doctors and surgeons and hormone treatments are for. For others, this might be a novelty that you want to try, so the one week dose would appeal to you. But for people who want the whole deal, the longer term doses are available."

"Have it your way, male or female."

A string of text appeared as the scene faded to black. A list of warnings started scrolling across, including warnings about not trying the potions if one is not human in biology.

Legal disclaimers over, the video ended.

Taylor looked around at the gathered mythos capes as the projector turned off. A wizard, a sorcerer, a warlock, multiple dragons, and a kitsune stared back.

"And that is one way we can make enough money to add to all of your hoards without publicizing your statuses as mythos capes."

-----=====-----
A/N
This just came to me, and I cannot say it would be out of character or the realm of possibility. Dragons like wealth, there is a market especially in areas where Nazi gangs are kicked out, and Taylor's mother ran with Lustrum and might have imparted some activist attitude. She is on a variant of the anti-hero guidelines from Glenn thanks to acknowledging that a dragon will not come across as safe/cute/cuddly and can get away with taking a stance on things like that. Can you say that Taylor would not support Transgender issues?

Other magic capes can chip in, as I imagine that potion brewing involves maybe a few hour long rituals, some weighing and processing reagents and a lot of leaving things to simmer through beakers and tubes and the traditional fantasy alchemy labs or a modern chemistry lab. Maybe leaving some potion stages in barrels or casks to age just right for a few weeks.

The one week potion is listed as 7~10 days. 1d4 + 6 days. Yes, it works on the standard dice.

I know it is nowhere near the right time of year, but it just came to me now and so I wrote it down.

Hopefully gets tagged on the Apocrypha or wherever Krysin decides it should go.

Idea came to me when I was watching one of the Gobboventures shorts and a different fantasy short came up on the Youtube algorithm.

Last edited:
This makes entirely too much sense (the PRT and various medical organizations haven't realized what alchemy, potions and magic can do quite yet - they're still coming to terms with a teenage dragon) when they do realize some will freak out and some won't.

A Midsummer Night's ??? 16 : The End is Nigh
"This world is not for aye, nor 'tis not strange
That even our loves should with our fortunes change
For 'tis a question left us yet to prove,
Whether love lead fortune, or else fortune love."

Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 2, 200-203

The morning wore on. Naurelin had decided to stay in her dragonborn form for the time being, as it made it easier to move around in the tent and make sure things were going smoothly. Right now she was outside, watching the wolf pups run around under the watchful eyes of their parents, playing on the sand and dodging incoming waves.

She'd noticed that various food carts had set up along the Boardwalk outside the BBPD cordon and were doing a fair amount of business with the onlookers. Some of the kids were trying to attract the attention of the wolf cubs with various pieces of food, and weren't having much success.

The adult female was actually looking sternly at one teenager. "My cubs will become ill if they eat that," she growled at the boy. "Your parents wouldn't like it if one of my children gave you something to eat that made you sick, would they?"

"Err, no," the hapless teenager admitted. "Sorry, it won't happen again."

"Thank you," the she-wolf replied in a tone that would be recognized by exasperated mothers everywhere.

Naurelin's attention was suborned by a shout from the Boardwalk. "Naurelin-senpai!" She could see Mizuchi undulating through the air above the crowd towards her, somehow landing in an irregularly shaped clear spot just inside the cordon. She made it about halfway across the remaining distance before she came to a sudden stop and yelped in pain.

From her somewhat higher vantage point, Naurelin could see what had happened, and had to both resist facepalming (because she might topple over) and laughing (because that would also cause her to fall over, and it seemed a bit too mean to laugh at Mizuchi's misfortune).

Four of the wolf pups had decided that the T'ien Lung's tail would make for an excellent toy, had grabbed hold of it hard enough to be painful, and started pulling.

Then the water near the shore leapt into the air, and things became a bit hectic.

Concentrating, Naurelin consciously used her Parahuman power to change the direction and "hang time" of the water that was coming towards them, something that would with certainty hit the crowd of onlookers along with the wolves, the tent, the PRT officers who were just realizing that something was going on, and the visiting dignitaries.

Fortunately for Naurelin, Mizuchi wasn't actively concentrating on actually scouring the beach. Testing had shown that while Mizuchi's hydrokinesis could overpower her more generalized approach to controlling things, but she could keep things up longer and over a much broader area.

The mother wolf, who had been watching, realized what had happened and was up to scold her cubs before they all went for an involuntary swim in the waters of the bay.

Which would make them stink for days, and make finding food when they arrived home much harder.

Thankfully, Mizuchi also realized what was going on and slowly put the water back where it belonged. After a few minutes, everything was restored and the crowds along the Boardwalk started clapping.

Soon, the mother wolf had the four cubs responsible lined up in front of Mizuchi. "Go on," she instructed her wayward offspring.

"We're sorry, noodle lizard," one said. "We didn't mean to bite down on your tail too hard."

This time, Naurelin did facepalm.

"We'd thought you'd enjoy a nice game o' tug o' war with us," another cub said.

"Meant no harm," the third mumbled.

The fourth unleashed its most potent weapon, the dreaded puppy dog eyes from an actual puppy. "We're sorry," the young she-wolf said quietly.

Naurelin could tell it was having an effect on the younger dragon. Suddenly, with the speed of a striking serpent, all four cubs were gathered up in a hug. "You're all so cute!" Mizuchi squealed.

Young princes and princesses of the forest, future mighty hunters, don't like to be called cute, and it didn't take long before the four cubs were squirming, trying to get loose. Which turned into a chase as the young dragon pursued the wolves down the beach, or the young wolves chased the dragon (who would cheat by going up).

"That could have gone badly," the mother wolf said.

"It could have, yes," Naurelin agreed. "I share something of the same problem; phenomenal cosmic powers, and the emotional stability of a teenage girl whose fingers are on the firing button." Naurelin sighed. "Fortunately, I have good teachers. I think I need to find my kohai a better mentor than myself."

"I think you've done very well," the wolf admitted. "Once she calmed down, things were quickly made right. On the plus side, the cubs will soon be worn out, and too tired to cause too much more mischief."

Naurelin chuckled. "Ah, that brings back some pleasant memories. My own mother would push my friends and I outdoors in the hopes we'd wear ourselves out."

"I take it that it didn't always work as well as she'd hoped," the wolf replied. "Based on my own experience."

"No it didn't."

= = = = - - - - = = = =​

Emily Piggot looked at the people assembled in the meeting room. There was Sergeant Williams and his second present. Sitting a couple seats down were two women: one had tanned skin, moderately long white hair, and startlingly green eyes while the other had coal black skin, bone white hair, and violet eyes with sclera tinted pale purple, giving her an exotic look. While both were wearing clothing typical of many people in the city, the second was wearing a wide brimmed sun hat and there was a pair of sunglasses on the table.

The pointed ears, more prevalent in the dark skinned one, was an indication they might not be human.

Down from them were some individuals she was slightly more familiar with, at least in the case of Grue and Imp. Their companion sat behind them, watching everyone with reptilian eyes. The creature must have commissioned Parian for some clothes, because the blouse she wore allowed her six arms to move freely. She was incapable of using a chair, instead her serpentine lower half coiled up in such a way she could sit comfortably. She still towered over her companions by at least a foot.

Off by himself, apparently not wanting any part of any of the other groups, sat a man. He was dressed in such a way that he would blend in in a crowd, his brown hair and eyes helping. Even his build wouldn't look out of place. However, he was definitely hiding something, because he was glancing nervously about, and definitely looked like he didn't want to be there at all.

Everyone turned to look as a tear in reality opened up, and a young woman with crystalline white hair and wings stepped through. Her clothes, a Bad Canary concert t-shirt and distressed jeans, contrasted sharply with the rest of her. "Thanks, Harv," she said to someone unseen. "I owe you one." The tear closed without a reply. "Director Piggot, good morning!"

"Good morning, Samira," she replied as the girl sat down near her, one arc of the table composed of PRT and Parahumans, another arc with the elves and mythical creature, and then that one man sitting by himself.

They hadn't long to wait before Tiamat herself joined them. "Good morning, I'm glad you all decided to come, or at least took me up on my invitation. We have coffee and some light snacks, but I expect this to be done well before lunchtime. With that out of the way, let's begin.

"My name is Tiamat. For those of you not familiar with me, I am the queen of the chromatic dragons, former ruler of a circle of Hell, and the fourth oldest dragon in existence. To my right, we have the demoness currently known as Deirdre, and her companions Grue and Imp." Each nodded as Tia said their names.

"Next to them, we have some newcomers to the area. Madelynne D'Velle, wandering adventurer, and Charinida Ilmneth, mercenary. Continuing on, we have special operations director Emily Piggot, Parahuman Response Teams, East-Northeast, along with Sergeant Willams and Trooper Smith, along with Protectorate associate Samira."

Then she fixed a stern glare on the last individual. "And last we have James Jorgensen, who does not want to be here but came anyway. Considering what Safirus found in the apartment he and his cohorts were renting, I would agree that he does not want to be found out by Federal law enforcement." The smirk on Tia's face was epic as she watched the man squirm.

"So, for the reason I requested your presence here today." With a gesture, an image of the Ward Weaver appeared over the table, along with an image of her human guise. "This is, as many of you know, the Protectorate Ward known as Weaver. Others know of her as the 'Chosen of Lolth'. And someone here knows her as an inhuman freak who needs to be put in her place, or put down if she gets uppity."

Emily noted that Mr. Jorgensen was sweating now.

"Since there are so many people here watching or guarding this one girl, I figured it would make things easier if everyone was working together instead of working against each other. Given the reputations of some individuals here, I suspect the chaos would be epic, eventually causing someone — possibly everyone — here a great deal of trouble."

"Now if each group would explain what they would be doing," Tiamat said, "we can see if we can each accomplish our goals without destroying a good portion of the city." Again, she fixed a gimlet stare at Mr. Jorgensen. "Unfortunately, that may not be possible for one group."

"Will you shut the fuck up?!?!" The man leapt to his feet, drew a concealed handgun, and fired off two shots at Tiamat.

In the silence that followed, one could easily hear the sound as the two armor piercing handgun rounds fell to the floor, followed by a brief commotion as the PRT representatives did their jobs. Tiamat sighed, looking down at her blouse. "Did you have to do that? I really like this blouse." A gesture from her and the two holes repaired themselves.

Not that the man could answer the question. Samira was keeping him pinned to the floor while Sergeant Williams cuffed him and read him his rights.

"For the moment, we'll put him in the coat check room," Emily suggested. "I'm afraid Trooper Smith will have to stay with him."

"Can I at least have a cup of coffee and some snacks?" the man asked politely.

"That can be arranged," Tiamat said.

They watched as the man was floated out by Samira, accompanied by Trooper Smith.

- - - - - - - - - -​

"What was that all about?" asked Grue, who had watched the whole exchange, and was more than slightly confused.

"Mr. Jorgensen was part of a three man team we had under observation," Sergeant Williamson explained. "We suspect they were put in place after the first attempt on Weaver's life was made by the gunman you apprehended. The rest of our team moved on the other two as soon as he," and with that he gestured in the direction of the coat check room, "had left for this meeting. The not-so-anonymous tip helped get the warrant."

"So that takes care of a problem," Deirdre said. "I have no issues about coordinating with everyone else."

Madelynne and Charinida both quietly chatted a bit in Elvish. "Neither do we," Madelynne finally said in perfectly good English. "Our instructions are to keep trouble from finding Weaver. 'Nida and I had already worked out a schedule between us, wouldn't mind working out one with everyone else."

As soon as the particulars were being sorted out by the minions and hirelings, Emily sat down near Tiamat. "I'd like to thank you for showing a great deal of restraint," she started, but Tiamat waved her into silence.

"You're welcome," Tia grumped. "I half expected him to actually try something like this, or to simply flee the city with his cohorts. I also didn't want to murderize everyone else in the room. Out of everyone there, maybe you and Maddy would have survived, and neither of you would be happy about it."

"I take it you know those two?"

"Maddy by reputation, Charinida as well. I would suggest that you arrange to have a talk with them, it should prove enlightening."

Nice collection of Words™! It was good to see our young noodle dragon getting a chance to indulge in a bit of romping with some mythics of roughly her mental age for a change. (Probably a good thing there's a near zero chance that she'd exchange addresses for a future play date, though.)

And with Tia, it's good to see that the various factions tasked with guarding Weaver are willing to work together amiably, and that yet another strike team were safely taken out of play. Hopefully, the various factions in the city on the "good" side can continue cooperating to keep things running as smoothly as possible.

Back