Summer 9/Voyage 1.9 | Unruly Thanes 3 Part 2
[X] Duel a Champion
-[X] Thomas Laurent
0~0~0

Alighting upon a collapsed part of the tower—a Thane had gotten thrown into it hard enough to knock down a wall—you point Sagaseeker at Thomas Laurent. The Squire merely nods and assumes a combat stance.

The duel is on.

0~0~0
(Tactics: 6x5, 5x1, 4x4, 3x1, 2x1, 1x2)14+5+2=21 Successes!

The moment you lay eyes on the Squire, it's clear that something is deeply wrong. The way he moves, it's like he's unfamiliar with his own body's limits. When he swings his sword, it's like he expects his reach to be just a little bit longer then it is.

A foul stench permeates the air—and not the smell of death. It stinks of dark, damp pits. It tastes of the bleakest cold and the blackest night. It reminds you of an empty world, like Ginnungagap.

Vagn managed to kill Thomas' horse before being slain in turn, so you won't have to face that.

Thomas seems to have a solid baseline of strength (~50 average rolls), but he can clearly boost himself to greater heights. Ice clings to the bone-white blade of his sword as he advances.

Thomas is going to try and wear you down before delivering powerful blows. He's prepared to repeat this many times. He clearly has some kind of ice power, which may play weird with your own fire.

Endurance: (13/13) | Frenzy: (5/5) (+5 to all Combat Rolls) | Armor Health: (17/17) (+4 to Defense) | (8/8) Reinforce Shield, ERA is active
Orthstirr: (338/660) | Odr: (36)
( ) Frami: 220 | ( ) Virthing: 220 | ( ) Saemd: 220
Sagaseeker has 49 orthstirr in his reservoir.
Your Armor has 0/13 orthstirr in its reservoir.
Shapeshifting is granting you (+1 Damage and +1 Attack-Speed)
Your combat pool is 111d6 and you have 0d6 Stoked Dice

What do you want to do?
[ ] (Plan Name)
-[ ] (Dice) Attack
-[ ] (Dice) Defense
-[ ] (Dice) Intercept
-[ ] (Dice) (Trick) (Orthstirr)
-[ ] Tactics Write in

0~0~0

AN: Not much to say here other then that I'm not feeling 100% right now.

15-minute moratorium.

... That's a weird fuckin' vibe I'm getting from this guy. That doesn't seem right at all.

Is he possessed or something?

Last edited:
My first thought He's either been dipped in a fountain of youth, Lazarus'd and deaged or he's Freaky Friday'd with someone?

Christian Land also means Christian Monsters. Possessing demons are a thing, and Hell was thought of as Cold for at least a bit before Dantes Inferno changed popular depictions and conception of Hell in the 1400s, iirc?

Could be the squire fell to a more literal heart demon and got meat suited

Christian Land also means Christian Monsters. Possessing demons are a thing, and Hell was thought of as Cold for at least a bit before Dantes Inferno changed popular depictions and conception of Hell in the 1400s, iirc?

Could be the squire fell to a more literal heart demon and got meat suited

I wonder if the Priest turns out to be a servant of Satan or something and is our actual Final Boss here?

Well, this recontextualizes a lot of what's going on here. I'm now very worried about Heima's Strike Force.

That doesn't sound like Hell except the maybe the lowest level.

Then again my best source for the place is Dantes Inferno so I should not be acting like an expert
That plus the idea of Sin being the block for Christian Cultivators, did squire boy betray someone important to him and get a literal Heart Demon? Since the ninth layer is for betrayers as it's satan's prison.

Possession is possible, but could this be the enemy atvwork? we are near the Danelaw, close to norse lands. Might be enough for him to assert some influence?

I won't rule it out, but not everything is the Enemy's doing.

Either way, attempting to cast it out is worth trying, it's educational at least, and if it works, the effects are likely to be significant on the flow of this battle.

Again, I don't think we should be using Dante's very popular bible fanfic as a textual reference as the world currently predates its existence and thus would not be able to effect Christian Metaphysics, because it's not yet part of Christendom's Culture.

At this point the conception of Hell is something like a Cold Dark Place Bereft Of God's Love.

Hell didn't have layers until Dante invented them and put all his least favorite people in them, I'm pretty sure?

Could it be a more active version of what we have with Hallr?
Still benign and he paniced and had his 'Ancestor' and/or 'Saint' use his body as a conduit?

Back