Interesting, but wildly expensive in practice given the other uses we can put magical animal bones to...I'm not inclined to invest in it too heavily in the near future.
Hmm, first source I found said 5-10 pounds of meal for 100 square feet. That is indeed fairly hefty (assuming some loss in turning bones to meal due to grinding and drying process), but I think it would be worth trying on a smallish plot of land. We don't know how the results will compare until we try it after all.

Hey, this is a non-sequitur but, @Imperial Fister could we get an idea of what kind of Runes our Huscarls would like or find useful on any weapons we make them? And what magical iron Stigmar would like his to be made out of?

Because that seems like something we could ask easily, and even if it would normally be an action, we did just spend one on each of them last turn and didn't get much...

Oh, and relatedly, just thinking in gift terms, does Jordan Slicksword have mail armor?

Oh yeah, neat idea!

Tryggr - Runes to call his saxes back to his hand, that can't be intercepted by enemies
Trausti - Runes to modify the weight of his axe and/or to help it keep its edge
Stigmar - Storm Iron, runes to help his sword cut through armor
Stigr - Runes to help him 'keep going'

Interesting!

Really we should do Crowfeeder's Runes + One other set on all their weapons, because that seems reasonable. I think we porbably put stigr's on his helmet rather than a weapon, but yeah, I'm not sure how to word that.

Yeah that sounds good. I also recall that at least one of Tryggry and Trausti uses Gale as their main Hugareida, but can't remember which. We could consider Drafty Iron for them.

For Stigr, possibly we could try a belt? Thor had a belt which gave him strength after all, and it might be fun to experiment with things other than armour and weapons. As far as the runes go, we know that Giant-Blooded have double endurance, and a bear flygia boosts endurance, so those seem like ideas to evoke?

(We'll still make him mail, I just think the experiment would be fun, and it might be easier to get an effect like that from something which metaphorically is about helping you bear loads and bear up against the world.)

Actually, I'm not sure how to word the anti-armor Rune as well. We want that for our own sword as well, I think.

Given that making paired weapons only costs one action, I was wondering if we go for paired swords? We could reforge Ashen Kiss into a sword and make a twin for it, giving them both Crowfeeder's runes to avoid what happened with Hal, and then something unique each.

Thanks!

Yeah that sounds good. I also recall that at least one of Tryggry and Trausti uses Gale as their main Hugareida, but can't remember which. We could consider Drafty Iron for them.

Tryggr uses Gale and Trausti Ice, we should do appropriate materials for both (Drafty for Tryggr, Ice or whatever it was called for Trausti), which is why I didn't ask materials for them.

For Stigr, possibly we could try a belt? Thor had a belt which gave him strength after all, and it might be fun to experiment with things other than armour and weapons. As far as the runes go, we know that Giant-Blooded have double endurance, and a bear flygia boosts endurance, so those seem like ideas to evoke?

(We'll still make him mail, I just think the experiment would be fun, and it might be easier to get an effect like that from something which metaphorically is about helping you bear loads and bear up against the world.)

We can do Mail + Helmet and runes on it as one action and we're making probably over 20 crafting actions in the next four or five turns already (9 or 10 of them just for presents...weapons + armor for all three retainers, Stigr, and at least armor for our brother in law Jordan). I am very against doing extra actions when we can put the Rune on his helmet without burning another action.

Given that making paired weapons only costs one action, I was wondering if we go for paired swords? We could reforge Ashen Kiss into a sword and make a twin for it, giving them both Crowfeeder's runes to avoid what happened with Hal, and then something unique each.

I think we reforge Ashen Kiss as a sax but pair it with a sword to go with it as part of the same action. Having a sax is too useful when things get in close to give up, and paired weapons just need to be designed to be used together, not identical. Plus it saves us some iron, though that's a minor issue comparatively.

Tryggr uses Gale and Trausti Ice, we should do appropriate materials for both (Drafty for Tryggr, Ice or whatever it was called for Trausti), which is why I didn't ask materials for them.

Wouldn't it be better to make their weapons out of a material that doesn't share their hugareida element? In case they ever come across a foe that happens to resist it?

(9 or 10 of them just for presents...

Wait, what's this about presents? Is there a particular reason for it, or just because we can?

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be better to make their weapons out of a material that doesn't share their hugareida element? In case they ever come across a foe that happens to resist it?

They can halve the cost of their Hugareida by casting them through the appropriate material. With our own list of several magic weapons, huge pool, and multiple Hugareida, that was a good choice for us I think, but with a single Hugareida halving all costs looks a lot better. And the base weapon damage does still work even on things resistant to the element in question.

We can do Mail + Helmet and runes on it as one action and we're making probably over 20 crafting actions in the next four or five turns already (9 or 10 of them just for presents...weapons + armor for all three retainers, Stigr, and at least armor for our brother in law Jordan). I am very against doing extra actions when we can put the Rune on his helmet without burning another action.

Mmmm, fair. I think that experimenting with runic bling is still a good idea, but maybe it's an aspiration for when everyone has the basics filled out.

I think we reforge Ashen Kiss as a sax but pair it with a sword to go with it as part of the same action. Having a sax is too useful when things get in close to give up, and paired weapons just need to be designed to be used together, not identical. Plus it saves us some iron, though that's a minor issue comparatively.

If a paired sword and seax is viable and still counts for "paired weapons", then I'd actually prefer that honestly! I was under the impression that might not be possible, but if it is, then it feels more authentic because it provides that versatility as you say. It's also more historically and martially authentic - paired sword and dagger is one of those things you see come up time and time again, but paired weapons of similar lengths are quite rare in the historical record, biomechanics and the way our brains work seems not to favour it as much.

For the sword, I still quite like the idea of something we could "charge" with energy somehow to use to deliver one really big hit. Not entirely sure how we'd do that as yet though.

They can halve the cost of their Hugareida by casting them through the appropriate material. With our own list of several magic weapons, huge pool, and multiple Hugareida, that was a good choice for us I think, but with a single Hugareida halving all costs looks a lot better. And the base weapon damage does still work even on things resistant to the element in question.

Huh, really? Didn't know that was a thing. Also, uh, I'm being pedantic but several magic weapons? When we added the storm iron to Sagaseeker, I'm pretty sure we had none at the time? If anything, wouldn't several hugareida (of the same type) make having compatible material even better? Not that I'm particularly fussed, the storm iron is good as it is and I don't see much reason to change that.

Wait, what's this about presents? Is there a particular reason for it, or just because we can?

I'm counting the stuff we're making for our retainers. And yes, it's because we can and we care about them. Also because if they're backing us in a fight we want them well equipped. In Jordan's case, it's more to help our sister not wind up a widow.

Mmmm, fair. I think that experimenting with runic bling is still a good idea, but maybe it's an aspiration for when everyone has the basics filled out.

Oh yeah, once we've got the basics for people I'm down to experiment.

If a paired sword and seax is viable and still counts for "paired weapons", then I'd actually prefer that honestly! I was under the impression that might not be possible, but if it is, then it feels more authentic because it provides that versatility as you say. It's also more historically and martially authentic - paired sword and dagger is one of those things you see come up time and time again, but paired weapons of similar lengths are quite rare in the historical record, biomechanics and the way our brains work seems not to favour it as much.

For the sword, I still quite like the idea of something we could "charge" with energy somehow to use to deliver one really big hit. Not entirely sure how we'd do that as yet though.

IF said sword + sax works as one action for a pair, yeah. And I was thinking anti-armor for the sword, but charging up could also be cool...

Huh, really? Didn't know that was a thing. Also, uh, I'm being pedantic but several magic weapons? When we added the storm iron to Sagaseeker, I'm pretty sure we had none at the time? If anything, wouldn't several hugareida (of the same type) make having compatible material even better? Not that I'm particularly fussed, the storm iron is good as it is and I don't see much reason to change that.

I was more meaning that a lot of our stuff we do isn't even fire (Standstill, Sword, and Gale would not apply, for instance), and so wouldn't be reduced even if we had Molten Iron instead of Storm Iron. It's more appealing when it applies to literally everything you do.

I'm counting the stuff we're making for our retainers. And yes, it's because we can and we care about them. Also because if they're backing us in a fight we want them well equipped. In Jordan's case, it's more to help our sister not wind up a widow.

Oh, I thought you were talking about other people.

I was more meaning that a lot of our stuff we do isn't even fire (Standstill, Sword, and Gale would not apply, for instance), and so wouldn't be reduced even if we had Molten Iron instead of Storm Iron. It's more appealing when it applies to literally everything you do.

Fair enough, I suppose.

Last edited:
King Alfred NegaQuest: Turn 538 Court 2.1 (Exmorri)
King Alfred NegaQuest: Turn 538 Court 2.1

Previous Winning Votes:
{} Admit the captain and her retinue
{X} Admit only the captain
{} Admit a negotiator, but not the captain
and
{X} Trade Plan Surprises And Boats

Vikings. Everyone is surely thinking it, but nobody speaks. They look to you for a decision. It would have been nice with some warning so that you could ask your council for advice. But here and now, the candle is burning, and you must exercise leadership.
"Our law and custom stand as before. The captain may enter, but not bring her men-at-arms in the presence of the King." you announce.
You see looks of relief going around the court, who are much less worried about one Viking than a boatload of them. They're still worried enough that you also see people checking their weapons.

Your decision is passed to the doorman, who passes it on to the Vikings. This is the tricky part. If their captain insists and tries to bring men-at-arms anyway, there's going to be a fight. Or she might suspect an ambush and refuse to enter alone. The court starts whispering and speculating. Fortunately, the Viking captain is diplomatic enough to accept the terms. She's a tall, red-headed woman. She gets a few steps into the hall, heading straight for you, then looks around and falters at the sight of the other long hundred men all looking at her and thinking about violence.

"Uh, did I do something wrong?" asks the woman. Halla, your wisebond whispers the name in your mind.

There's no violence that day, but there's some confusion and sneering at the latest petitioner who came unprepared. Halla tries to address you as merely "Alfred", and you suspect it would have been "Hey, Al" if Iohannes hadn't growled corrections at her. She asks for some beer mid-petition, tries to tell a story about one of her hunting trips before she's cut short, and makes an attempt to buy ink from your scribe, in personal quantities. You have to steer her back to the shipload of trade goods: mostly whetstones. You make an offer in silver, but Halla wants payment in food. Norway has worse land to begin with, then there are troll attacks on outlying farms, and seers warning of a hard winter. When the candle marks the hour, the negotiations are unfinished, and you direct Halla to go to one of the waiting rooms and speak with your representative to finish haggling out the details while you see the next petitioner.

Which is an excellent opportunity for Iohannes to go as your representative and make the less public offers: ask for the services of the Vikings to remind one of the breakaway courts how life is outside your protection, and see if you can get a tour of their ship, perhaps framed as a diplomatic gesture by the King.

Once you're done seeing other petitioners and resolving legal disputes and hearing pleas for mercy, Iohannes returns. "Your Majesty, Halla has accepted your terms. You'll get to see the Viking ship up close."

With your wisebond, you'll be able to learn far more than Halla expects, and collect yet another weapon for England's steadily growing arsenal, arming the country for Guttorm's return. But who should you bring with you? Your council definitely won't like the risk of you going alone on a Viking ship, while the Vikings probably won't like you bringing a retinue aboard their ship after you barred their retinue from your hall.

{ } Go alone
{ } Bring one servant
{ } Bring one retainer posing as a servant
{ } Bring several people
-{ } Write in who

(The breakaway court will be resolved separately.)

Last edited:
Summer 9/Voyage 1.8
[X] You'd prefer the deal in some other product or service (Write in)
-[X] You came here for food, and the King can probably get a better deal from his subjects than you can. Ask for 3/4 the value of the whetstone trade in coin, and the rest in food.
-[X] (Optional) Haggle on the Wolf Pelts (Opposed Silver-Tongue Check)
--[X] We will flatly not accept anything less than 20 pounds no matter what. We'd rather just not make the deal on them.

[X] Accept both offers
0~0~0
(Halla's Silver-Tongue: 60 vs Alfred's Diplomacy: 106, Alfred Wins, Big Surprise)
"Twenty pounds!?" Iohannes' eyes twitch as his jaw drops. "Are you out of your mind?!"

The shocked shout echoes through the hall as Thanes scoff and arch brows. The tiniest hints of lifted brows flash across the King's face as even he is taken aback by such a massive price increase.

King Alfred taps a calloused finger against his armrest as he leans back, "As Iohannes says, twenty pounds for wolf pelts is a significant jump in price. I understand that these are of a more magical variety, but are they really worth that? Tell me of their capabilities."

He gestures for you to do just that, so you do. Reaching into your memory, you search around for the accounts given by your fellow warriors, "The water-wolves we fought could spray water from their mouths, coat their fangs with 'sharp water', and were able to create 'water clones' of themselves. They could also swim through and breathe water like fish."

As you list off the water-wolves' strengths, the King's expression doesn't change. As you finish, a slight frown creases the corners of his mouth. "I understand that these are no normal wolves, but I can't see them being worth more then eleven, twelve pounds."

You grimace. "I'm afraid that I can't sell them for that low a price."

"I see," Alfred nods and moves on to the next topic of conversation. "Regarding the next item of consideration, I see no reason to deny your request of food and three-fourths coin. Asser," the man on the floor—Asser, presumably—looks up as Alfred nods towards him, "send word to the Storemasters that I am releasing sixty-seven silver-pounds worth of food for our Norwegian guests to take aboard their fine vessel."

(+2,673oz Silver, divided equally among the crew)
(+850 Units of Food)
0~0~0

As the crew of the Wavedancer are hard at work off-loading whetstones and on-loading silver and food, you find yourself more or less alone with King Alfred. That is, there are a whole swathe of Thanes surrounding the ship from nearly ever angle—but that's probably as close as you're gonna get to being alone with the King.

Alfred has a warm, boyish grin on his aged face as he runs fingers across the Wavedancer's surface. "You're a beautiful ship," the King murmurs to himself, lost in thought as the spirit of said ship preens under the attention. Eventually, he turns to you, "She's a snekkja, yes?"

"That's correct, your Highness." You nod as he laughs.

"Please, call me Alfred. In this moment, I am a guest aboard your ship—not a King. However, a snekkja is a warship," he casts his gaze across the deck of the Wavedancer, "so where is her dragon-prow?"

Before you can answer, his eyes fall upon the cloth-wrapped and string-tied bundle lying near to the prow. With great strides, he expertly navigates through the throngs of working men and stops before the bundle. Reaching down, he pauses as his fingers graze the knots. "Ah, I forget myself," he apologizes as he looks to you, "May I?"

You laugh, something about him reminding you of Asgeirr when he's trying to get at the dulce. "Go ahead, Alfred."

Alfred's face lights up and a lonely pang shoots through your heart. With fingers trembling like a child opening a Yuletide gift, he swiftly undoes the knots and peels away the cloth. A gasp catches in his throat as painted, polished wood comes into view, "Beautiful..."

"Eric, my brother, took some time while sailing to paint it up," you explain as Alfred stands in awe.

"Truly, it is a tragedy that the Wavedancer is bereft of her fangs," Alfred sighs as he nods towards you, "You should be proud to command such a fine ship."

"I am," you nod, not really sure how to react to this.

"Unfortunately," Alfred sighs again, harder this time, "I cannot spend all my time examining ships, not even all of today." Reaching to his belt, he retrieves several pieces of folded paper. Handing them to you, he explains what they are as you unfold and look them over, "This is the location, as well as maps of the castle and the surrounding landscape—as well as directions to get there."

Clearing his throat, he begins to list the contents from memory, "Daw's Castle, near to the burh of Watchet, is the location one of the more uppity groups of Thanes has chosen to make their base of operations. It has been restored and now plays host to twenty-five Thanes, two Knights, one Squire, one Priest, and a Noble by the name of Tobias Belanger. A number of mortal footmen have accompanied their masters to this spot, but they are not combatants so you should not fear them overmuch. You are to make an example of the Noble and the Thanes while sparing the Knights and others if you can."

Thanking the King for his time, you turn your attention towards the matter at hand and the pieces of information kept within.

While you're not coming up with combat plans just yet, you're still going to need to figure out an approach for this mission.
[ ] Over the Land, you'll put to shore a ways away from Daw's Castle and approach over land
[ ] Up the River, you'll sail up the river straight to the castle's walls
[ ] Scale the Cliff, you'll scale the sea-side cliff
[ ] Write in

[ ] (Optional) You're not sure that you can handle this with the men you have, perhaps you should see if there are any men of the Danelaw in the area?

-Built in a double-layered semi-circle with their backs to a sheer cliff dropping into the sea.
-The cliffs are roughly 80 meters/260 feet from sea-level
-The Washford River flows beside it, the mouth of which comes out at Watchet
-Bivallate Defenses, Mortared Earthwork

Tobias Belanger, a young Noble of the 4th Decade, he came to Wessex in search of a new home as his family had suffered repeated failures in Francia.

Known Abilities and/or Traits
-A penchant for fine wine
-Greedy and is prone to over-reaching
-Clever and tends to know his limits, though doesn't always abide by them
Louis Dubois, a Knight of the 5th Decade, is fond of commanding plants in battle. He spurns the need of a horse and hawk and prefers fighting on foot. He wields a large hammer, but has sword and dagger to fall back on.

-Plant-based powers
-Able to deal heavy blows
-Takes less damage from fire-based attacks then one might expect
Serge Gagnon, a Knight of the 8th Decade, is an old, grizzled wardog of a man. He knows his way around the battlefield and will likely be the biggest threat to you. His horse has lightning-aspects and his bird is known for its tricks.

-Nearly unstoppable in a charge and prefers to keep his enemies at arm's length, though is perfectly capable of snapping spines should the situation call for it
-Is a master of the basics and will relies upon more conventional tactics
-Knows when to call it quits, will surrender if the day is clearly lost and his opponent is willing
Thomas Laurent, a Squire of the 3rd Decade, is a young man eager to prove himself. He is Squire to Sir Serge Gagnon and is chaffing under his mentor's more withdrawn and stoic nature. He is not noted for any exemplary combat skills, though he has a small talent for light-based power.

-Light-based powers
-A bit full of himself
-Eager and reckless, wants to show his mentor that he's strong and ready
Father Archibald Lachapelle, a Priest of the 6th Decade, is a mystery to the court. He prefers to keep to himself and only seems to be here out of some personal desire rather then any real loyalty. As long as he is not disturbed, the likelihood of him joining any ongoing battle is thin.
The Thanes are primarily drawn from the land surrounding Watchet, which means that they have many supporters in the burh. Even if those supporters won't help them against the crown, it's expected that they would lend aid against a band of Vikings. You can expect fifteen more Thanes if called, alongside their mortal fyrdmen.

There are twenty-five Thanes that have thrown their lot in with the Noble, Tobias Belanger.
0~0~0

AN: Well, you've been wanting to fight Thanes and Nobles, haven't you? ;P

25-minute moratorium.

Ugh, as much as I like good relations, we just got hoodwinked. Not unexpected, but potentially poor implications for the future.

Edit: I'd probably still have done the same thing even in hindsight though.

Well then, Serge looks like he's going to be the Big Problem here. Also, another Priest who's playing an ineffable game of their own devising as well.

25 Thanes too, and three Chivalrics. I think Abjorn will be a good check against Louis, Serge is going to be the Big Fucking Problem though, since there aren't many people with the mobility to check him outside of Halla.

Third Decade Squire, hmm. That's not especially advanced, Eric with a bit of help might be able to handle him though with a bit of help? Serge definitely needs three guys tackling him though to check his birb and his horse as well.

Rule of Threes when fighting Chivalrics. One to check the expert, one for their horse, and one for their falcon.

Last edited:
(+2,673oz Silver, divided equally among the crew)

Wait, I thought we kept the silver personally and divided the food? There was a whole discussion.

Also, what about the 21 pounds for mercenary work and ship tour, we get that personally, right? Or does the 20 for mercenary work get divided?

The Thanes are primarily drawn from the land surrounding Watchet, which means that they have many supporters in the burh. Even if those supporters won't help them against the crown, it's expected that they would lend aid against a band of Vikings. You can expect fifteen more Thanes if called, alongside their mortal fyrdmen.

There are twenty-five Thanes that have thrown their lot in with the Noble, Tobias Belanger.

So is this potentially 40 Thanes? Or do the 25 include the 15, or are the 15 only if we give them time to react? I'm unclear.

Last edited:
Be careful fighting against the hammer knight too since that might cause Orth loss if he gets direct hits in.

On the other hand I'm hoping one of the potential developments from the encounter is Halla compromising enough on the nature of hammers as weapons through a Muna like her nascent imagining of Norse plate.

At least against non-Norse.

Father Archibald Lachapelle, a Priest of the 6th Decade, is a mystery to the court. He prefers to keep to himself and only seems to be here out of some personal desire rather then any real loyalty. As long as he is not disturbed, the likelihood of him joining any ongoing battle is thin.
This is the most disconcerting part.
Not the old grizzled Vet-Knight or his fellow.
But the unknown capabilities of the priest.

Back