Out of curiosity what's our current big goal now that Horra has been killed?

We're no longer nearly as pressured to pursue a specific one. That said, we have some stuff we need to do at some point.

Firstly, we need to go on an expedition to help the dwarves. That seems both useful and needed, if admittedly a bit short-term, as goals go. Similarly short term, we need to get our farm built back up. That's definitely important. We also might want to try and find Hirkir if we can and tie up the last loose ends of the Horra situation one way or another.

Honestly, I'd like to take things slow for a bit and keep to that stuff for at least a year now, just chill for a minute after all the excitement, y'know?

But further afield, and likely next Summer, we do want to go on a trading expedition to Wessex. That's potentially lucrative and we have a bit of an in due to Gabriel, this would also allow Gabriel to return home if he wanted, though he may not wish to and we'd be happy to keep him around as well.

The biggest thing that leaps to mind that isn't the main plot (or at least, not solely the main plot) is that we need to head to Vestfold sometime to resolve our inheritance from our mother and things are likely gonna go down over there...the Skirsvikingar are headquartered near there and we have a fated rendezvous with Reidar Swordfury, for one thing. Wolfwind also relocated there with Veny and Hardir, which might be interesting in a few ways. We could try and combine this with the Wessex trip, but upon reflection we likely shouldn't. It's worthy of being its own trip (ostensibly this too would be a trading expedition, but I suspect personal matters of various sorts would be the main thing).

And, of course, there's the main plot, which is advancing our cultivation (including figuring out how to do that), acquiring pieces of the Weapon, and figuring out how to defeat the Enemy, and hopefully change and improve Norse society in doing so.

Last edited:
Hence the warning.

And the difference between modern and original has been conveyed, if I understand your corrections?
In this case, the "original" wootz steel seems to have been around for a very, very, very long time. And I surmise that it was around probably with fluctuations in the quality for various "micro" reasons. Thing such as "this mine collapsed, the new ore just doesn't work as well, and we don't know why." Or "gee, what if I try tweaking the forging process to do X" and bits of the knowledge base being gained or lost on a partial basis.

And 'modern' reproductions vary wildly, including some that seem (from a rough summary) to have gotten very close indeed to the original, to the point where the information that is missing is far more likely to be "and we're not sure whether they put goat bones in the fuel for the smelter or not" than like "we don't understand how this works or why it works or how to make something as good."

And the biggest nucleus of "original" does indeed seem to be India, to the point where even talking about 'Damascus steel' is a product of Western medieval ignorance, much as "Arabic numerals" aren't Arabic in origin.

These are kind of important things that are often left out of the pop-history narrative surrounding "Damascus steel," so nailing them down seemed important to me.

Right...how often do you need to solder things on a medieval farm? It's not never, but it's not wildly common, either.
It's surprisingly useful if you recycle metal from scrap while 'reforging' (as most smiths do). Or if you ever make objects with multiple joined metal parts. Because the conventional way to join together pieces of metal is to heat them and beat on them until they merge at high temperature, called "forge welding" The big problems with forge welding are that it consumes fuel and that iron is lost in the process. Since iron is valuable, being able to just casually weld bits of metal together without loss of material is likewise valuable.

It's surprisingly useful if you recycle metal from scrap while 'reforging' (as most smiths do). Or if you ever make objects with multiple joined metal parts. Because the conventional way to join together pieces of metal is to heat them and beat on them until they merge at high temperature, called "forge welding" The big problems with forge welding are that it consumes fuel and that iron is lost in the process. Since iron is valuable, being able to just casually weld bits of metal together without loss of material is likewise valuable.

This, again, is a good argument for it to be on the list of tricks to get, without being one that it's urgent or should be the first one we pick up. Iron may be valuable, but we aren't losing it at any meaningful speed right now so putting this off a few turns costs us, what, one ounce at most and likely not even that? That's not enough money to be a concern. It's a handy thing to have rather than transformative or essential.

Yeah, I was just trying to lay out the context.

With smithing being kind of a plot point for us, it's good, in my opinion, to waft around some information about what period smithing was actually like.

Arguably the most unrealistic thing going on here is that smithing normally seems to be a solo operation, but then, all Norsemen being cultivators probably changes the biggest reason why that's true- namely, that pounding on pieces of metal with a hammer all day is exhausting.

Sort of like my joke about how Norse cattle ranching is radically changed by the fact that any Norseman worth his salt is strong enough to knock an angry bull on their ass with a good swift punch to the face.

(Yes, yes, it's not proper to hit another person with your bare hands, but an animal? Surely that's a different story.)

"I gotta say," you release your hold on Mire Ward and rest Sagaseeker on your shoulder, "you've got a deep bag of tricks. I can't wait to see more!"

Fiery wings snap out as you hurl yourself into the air. There's not enough time for him to catch you in his net, so as you race towards him — Standstill rippling out behind you — he simply holds his sword out to the side.

"You're good, don't get me wrong," he says as orthstirr travels down his blade and shaves a layer of iron off the edge, "but you're not there yet."
Hmm..
Molten Metal is a solid trick. It, essentially, is just you flinging molten metal at people. Very short range, has armor piercing, and does decent damage.
Furnace Bellows is one that only uses your mouth. Short range, little damage, but it does cover a large area of that short range.
Stenquest: "Nada damage, next. Man, Born in Fire is annoying to deal with."
The two combat tricks are Ember Eyeshot and Sparkling Beam. Ember Eyeshot is a tiny trick that deals very little damage, but it's a real bitch if it gets in your eye. Not much better for distracting someone, I've found. Sparkling Beam is a good heavy attack and also works as a finisher if you really pump it.
Stenquest: "I think Ember Eyeshot is a bit too much for a spar? Sparkling beam does too much damage, ugh."

---

It's then that Drifa picks herself off the ground, her face is still as red as her hair — a cough escaping her lungs. "Thor's tummy, auntie!" You struggle to keep a face straight as Drifa 'swears' — Sten had told her off for using anything harsher than that. Her eyes are filled with dazzling sparkles as she leaps to her feet, a deeply impressed smile on her face, "No wonder you're so strong!"
This is honestly a hilarious term to swear on. I can hear Thor getting ribbed about his tummy up wherever he is right now.
(Yes, yes, it's not proper to hit another person with your bare hands, but an animal? Surely that's a different story.)
I mean.

There's Gary Tuskpuncher.

Totally cool with Vikings.

[X] Plan Rebuilding Our Farm

Don't forget drinking their heart's blood! Would be such a waste to leave that behind....

We could try quenching in blood, it would probably also have a neat effect, although the I worry then Sagaseeker would get a taste for it...

Out of curiosity what's our current big goal now that Horra has been killed?
We're no longer nearly as pressured to pursue a specific one. That said, we have some stuff we need to do at some point.

Firstly, we need to go on an expedition to help the dwarves. That seems both useful and needed, if admittedly a bit short-term, as goals go. Similarly short term, we need to get our farm built back up. That's definitely important. We also might want to try and find Hirkir if we can and tie up the last loose ends of the Horra situation one way or another.

Honestly, I'd like to take things slow for a bit and keep to that stuff for at least a year now, just chill for a minute after all the excitement, y'know?

But further afield, and likely next Summer, we do want to go on a trading expedition to Wessex. That's potentially lucrative and we have a bit of an in due to Gabriel, this would also allow Gabriel to return home if he wanted, though he may not wish to and we'd be happy to keep him around as well.

The biggest thing that leaps to mind that isn't the main plot (or at least, not solely the main plot) is that we need to head to Vestfold sometime to resolve our inheritance from our mother and things are likely gonna go down over there...the Skirsvikingar are headquartered near there and we have a fated rendezvous with Reidar Swordfury, for one thing. Wolfwind also relocated there with Veny and Hardir, which might be interesting in a few ways. We could try and combine this with the Wessex trip, but upon reflection we likely shouldn't. It's worthy of being its own trip (ostensibly this too would be a trading expedition, but I suspect personal matters of various sorts would be the main thing).

And, of course, there's the main plot, which is advancing our cultivation (including figuring out how to do that), acquiring pieces of the Weapon, and figuring out how to defeat the Enemy, and hopefully change and improve Norse society in doing so.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, personally I'd favour a bit more of a proactive approach, going out and seeking adventure and opportunities to test ourself in battle. Not that Nordic Cultivation Slice of Life Quest isn't also fun, I like those bits, but my preferred approach is a further along the axis towards "if the quest goes below 50 miles per hour it explodes". But we can bicker about that as it comes up in future turns. 😅

On the trips, I think it would make a degree of sense to combine them, perhaps with Wessex as the outward leg, and hitting Vestfold on our way back? It depends a little bit on whether Vestfold has goods which we don't at home, meaning it would be a good trade stop in its own right, though realistically as you say we're going for family reasons.

Also, Deadman, if you wouldn't mind another "Skippy learns how the game system works" session, is there a reason why in the current plan we're putting 3 Orthstirr and not 4 into our Hamr, when it says on our character sheet that it's "4 Orthstirr to Max"? Is this one of those things where we deliberately don't want to max it out yet for accounting purposes, or have I (probably) got some other misunderstanding?

Also also, I think I get the concept of investing Orthstirr into our stats, but when it says "Requires (122) more successes to rank up" for our Hamr what does this mean? For the Tricks there's a similar thing, which I'm guessing is about training them up, but I'm less sure about Hamr - is it just two different ways of increasing the rank? Or are they doing different things? Does investing Orthstirr in our Tricks also rank them up without needing to train them, or is that doing something different as well?

I mean.

There's Gary Tuskpuncher.

Totally cool with Vikings.
What about hitting another man with an animal? Is the Cow Toss an honourable combat move?
And on that extension of logic, I would like to ask what's the stance of beating a person with another person?
As in, holding someone's leg or hand or something and using them as a club to beat a third (or more) person(s).
Oh, gods, the Norse love the "why are you hitting yourself" game don't they?

Forbidden Temple Art

BEATING THEM WITH THEIR OWN KIND

Also, Deadman, if you wouldn't mind another "Skippy learns how the game system works" session, is there a reason why in the current plan we're putting 3 Orthstirr and not 4 into our Hamr, when it says on our character sheet that it's "4 Orthstirr to Max"? Is this one of those things where we deliberately don't want to max it out yet for accounting purposes, or have I (probably) got some other misunderstanding?
I can answer that actually, one of the things investing Odr into a skill or attribute dos is the equivalent to having a permanent othstir investment.

So in this case investing enough Odr to bring the Hamar infusing to 4 reduces the maximum amount of othstirr we can invest but gives us that point of investment we lost as a permanent boost (so we only need 3 othstir to max Hamar.

Also also, I think I get the concept of investing Orthstirr into our stats, but when it says "Requires (122) more successes to rank up" for our Hamr what does this mean? For the Tricks there's a similar thing, which I'm guessing is about training them up, but I'm less sure about Hamr - is it just two different ways of increasing the rank? Or are they doing different things? Does investing Orthstirr in our Tricks also rank them up without needing to train them, or is that doing something different as well?
Investing othstirr and training tricks or attributes are different things.

We have training dice we distribute between whatever attribute or skill we want to train (they could also be used for research purposes) they roll a certain amount of successes (-1,1 or 2) and the total is reduced from the number we need to get to the next rank and when it reaches zero we increase the skill.

Investing othstirr on the other hand has nothing to do with training skills or attributes but using them we can infuse a maximum amount equal to our skill (or attribute rank) into it and every point we invest gives us an extra dice when we roll that skill or attribute (and if we infuse Odr we get a permanent extra dice but reduce the maximum amount of othstirr we can invest by 1)

Arguably the most unrealistic thing going on here is that smithing normally seems to be a solo operation, but then, all Norsemen being cultivators probably changes the biggest reason why that's true- namely, that pounding on pieces of metal with a hammer all day is exhausting.

In fairness, we have a slightly skewed perspective because we're a really good smith. Most people probably don't do nearly as much of it as we do...the basic Skills (Armorcraft, Weaponcraft, and Housecraft) only allow for repairs, with Skill-Tricks needed to actually make items...I don't think most Norsemen actually have too many of those. Maybe the Household one in order to make, like, nails and stuff, and that's it.

Sort of like my joke about how Norse cattle ranching is radically changed by the fact that any Norseman worth his salt is strong enough to knock an angry bull on their ass with a good swift punch to the face.

Monsters and animals are fine to punch per Imperial Fister. So is anyone 'outside the law'...only with other Norsemen is it an insulting and thus dishonorable move. Stigmar was punching Troll-Men to death in our last fight, for instance.

Uri's correct here. Adding a level of Odr Infusion reduces that number directly. It effectively 'fills' one Orthstirr available to put into Hamr permanently. The same with anything else we Infuse. Infusion, in theory, eventually replaces the need to invest Orthstirr into things at all, though in practice we probably won't ever hit that point.

Uri's also basically correct here. To expand on this a tad, there are two things we need to do with attributes and skills.

1. We need to empower them. Every turn, we need to invest Orthstirr into them or we can't actually use them (if we had never gained Odr and invested no Orthstirr into, say, Hamr we would roll 1d6 for all Hamr rolls regardless of our actual Hamr). All stats need to be powered by Orthstirr to function. Odr Infusion is effectively a 'permanent Orthstirr' investment for this purpose and thus makes that unnecessary (in addition to other bonuses varying by the stat in question, check out my Odr mechanics post in the Informational section for more details).

2. They must be trained in order to be increased. This increases the amount of Orthstirr we're allowed to invest (ie: we are allowed to invest 4 Orthstirr into Dodge right now, if we increase it's level by 1, we are allowed to invest 5), which makes the dice pool larger by 1d6, but Orthstirr investment doesn't train them in and of itself. So we need to roll 122 successes on Training Dice to raise Hamr to 8. It's...gonna be a while. It'd likely be almost a year even if we dropped literally everything else, and that would not be the best use of our training time.

To raise stats, you simply invest X Training dice into a particular thing, roll them, and you get as many successes as you roll in progression (ie: if we invested 10 Training Dice into Hamr and rolled 7 successes, it would now only need 115 to advance).

To go a bit into how Training Dice work, dice in this system (as Uri notes) have three results: a 1-2 is -1 successes, a 3-4 is 1 success, and a 5-6 is 2 successes. Results of exactly zero successes become 1 success as well (you need to go negative to completely fail). In practice, with high dice pools, this makes the technical average number of successes almost exactly 2/3 of the dice pool (it's a tad higher due to the 'zero equals a single success' rule, but that means little on high dice pools).

However, on a single die, that -1 means nothing, so a single die averages 1 success (it has three results, 0, 1, and 2, all equally likely), and thus faster progression total...for that reason, we started doing a lot of our Training in 1 die increments, and it was decided rather than rolling them (which was tedious) Imperial Fister mostly just consider 1 die used alone to equate to one success in progression. That's the 'slow and 'steady' progression method we use for a lot of Tricks and other stuff.

That is slow, though, and insufficient for some things, like Hamr for example. We'll need to invest, like, 30 dice a turn for 6 turns to raise that. We are putting one die towards it every turn just to reduce that a tad, not because it'll get there with just that. But eventually, for the stats or anything else headed above 5, we're gonna need to invest big piles of Training Dice...we just have a bunch of cheaper stuff to get right now that seems like a higher priority and are still individually less than 10 successes each (so...many...Tricks).

Last edited:
In fairness, we have a slightly skewed perspective because we're a really good smith. Most people probably don't do nearly as much of it as we do...the basic Skills (Armorcraft, Weaponcraft, and Housecraft) only allow for repairs, with Skill-Tricks needed to actually make items...I don't think most Norsemen actually have too many of those. Maybe the Household one in order to make, like, nails and stuff, and that's it.
Well, you're not wrong.

I was more thinking, though, about the way that real world smithies were almost always a multi-person operation, typically run by a single master smith and a number of assistants, apprentices, or just slave laborers to perform fairly basic tasks like "gather the fuel," "work the bellows," or "when I tap the piece with this little hammer, you hit it very hard with this much bigger hammer, so that you end up with the aching elbows and I don't."

A Norse Cultivation World house like ours may have some of that going on, what with the kids being sent out to gather firewood (in Younger Abjorn's case by punching the trees down, such golden memories) and the thralls presumably doing some things. Other smithy tasks are made redundant by the fact that, say, Halla is strong enough to bench-press a large truck.

Last edited:
And does it change depending on whether or not the leg is still attached to the original person?
Ripping someone's limb from their body should be a Glima trick, and strictly speaking using it as an improvised weapon should be fine, since it's technically like a club. So it should be perfectly fine. Metal, even.

Personally don't think the Strike skill is all that Odreng though, Modgudr punched Astmundur dead!

Well, you're not wrong.

I was more thinking, though, about the way that real world smithies were almost always a multi-person operation, typically run by a single master smith and a number of assistants, apprentices, or just slave laborers to perform fairly basic tasks like "gather the fuel," "work the bellows," or "when I tap the piece with this little hammer, you hit it very hard with this much bigger hammer, so that you end up with the aching elbows and I don't."

A Norse Cultivation World house like ours may have some of that going on, what with the kids being sent out to gather firewood (in Younger Abjorn's case by punching the trees down, such golden memories) and the thralls presumably doing some things. Other smithy tasks are made redundant by the fact that, say, Halla is strong enough to bench-press a large truck.

Real Norse farms in this era were largely self-sufficient and probably had a smithy, but real Norse farms were also, like, 10-20 adults on average. I think they trend slightly smaller on average in Cultivation World because of stuff like this where, being Cultivators, they need less people to manage on their own (though even here, we've had a lot of evidence that one person cannot handle a farm by themselves without real trouble...Stigr couldn't do it, and Aki's dad was having problems).

That said, I think even in this world ours (at 8 adults including our huscarls and employees) is no more than average size and Steinarr's is actually small in terms of people (at 4 adults) even compared to this world's average.

Personally don't think the Strike skill is all that Odreng though, Modgudr punched Astmundur dead!

It's explicitly not good. The degree to which it's bad is a different question, but it is explicitly not the dreng thing to do.

Since when? Are you sure your right about this? I don't remember anything of the sort.

Uh, I mean, if we invest no Orthstirr into something and have never used Odr on it, we roll only the base 1d6 everyone gets in stats (and nothing in skills). That's...just the way the mechanics work?

To quote the Mechanics Post:

At a base level, all your stats have a single d6. By putting orthstirr into a stat, you can get extra d6 up to the dice max, which is upgraded through training. You may have noticed that this wasn't the case this turn, this is because you didn't have an option to assign orthstirr last turn and I didn't think it was fair to restrict you based on my mistake.

During the first few turns when we had single digit Orthstirr (and no idea how to stoke our Aspects), we actually had to deal with this. It wasn't great.

Last edited:
There's four things we need apparently if we want a proper foundation. Walls are one of them, but have we locked in any of the others?
this might have already been mentioned, but our Well is still basically a ditch in the ground. It might be good to make a proper set up for it, ya know, stone walls, bucket, rope? Gotta have reliable watersource on a farm, and Odr is what waters our crops

Back