Eh, I'm betting that Odr cultivation, as the more proper and true form of Norse Cultivation, can probably ward off at least some of that. Our father lacked Odr, and while Solrun said similar was happening to Blackhand, it's possible he didn't know (or even pursue) secrets related to longevity.
The sad fact is the Norns tip the scale in regards to longevity, after all, everyone has a Fated Day. And the fact that All Men Die is a part of the Norse paradigm and therefore its cultivation.

See, I saw that vote and I was thinking more traditional and witch like. Curses of blindness, making someone's muscle rot, you know. Witchy things.
Unless we lucked out getting Seer training, that route would lead to us being almost unable to cultivate the true way, as that kind of underhanded stuff people don't expect or are able to easily defend against would get us Nid like its going out of style.

See, I saw that vote and I was thinking more traditional and witch like. Curses of blindness, making someone's muscle rot, you know. Witchy things.
Problem with that it's a disadvantage in Viking Cultivation give that if we were to do these things we would take away from our Orthstirr pool due to Nid. As a whole Halla is fairly weird as a Norse warrior/seer in that she's a seer who takes to the frontlines and is a medic in the aftermath of a battle.

The sad fact is the Norns tip the scale in regards to longevity, after all, everyone has a Fated Day. And the fact that All Men Die is a part of the Norse paradigm and therefore its cultivation.

Yeah, but All Men Die doesn't mean they have to die in 60 years. Halla actually had some thoughts on All Men Die semi recently (within the last IC year) where she talks about how one day Odin will die and the gods will be slain in Ragnarok and how this is a Sign that All Men Die.

There's no reason we have to die in a mortal lifespan, for All Men Die to apply and be acceptable. If the gods can live hundreds, thousands of years, but still be fated to Die, and this is acceptable, why not us? 😀

Edit: Actually didn't we recently gain a power called Loophole that lets us make the impossible totally incapable totally never able to be done just improbable?

Seems like moving your own Fated Day far into the future could be a (extremely advanced) Loophole. Sure, we will die. Next century!

Problem with that it's a disadvantage in Viking Cultivation give that if we were to do these things we would take away from our Orthstirr pool due to Nid. As a whole Halla is fairly weird as a Norse warrior/seer in that she's a seer who takes to the frontlines and is a medic in the aftermath of a battle

Oh yeah, definitely, though with Seidr and magic being more acceptable for women in general and women not being expected to gather Orthstirr in the same way, I do wonder if it'd be impossible to do so.

We were already told that Skalds can curse, trick, illusion, lie, and deceive opponents without it being Nid, because it's just part of How Skalds Are. I wonder if there are alternative routes to Orthstirr, or even non Orthstirr forms of Norse external Cultivation. Or we could have just ended up becoming a Skald.

Or found other paths to power.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, definitely, though with Seidr and magic being more acceptable for women in general and women not being expected to gather Orthstirr in the same way, I do wonder if it'd be impossible to do so.

We were already told that Skalds can curse, trick, illusion, lie, and deceive opponents without it being Nid, because it's just part of How Skalds Are. I wonder if there are alternative routes to Orthstirr, or even non Orthstirr forms of Norse external Cultivation. Or we could have just ended up becoming a Skald.

Or found other paths to power.
From what we've been figuring out it seems all the disparate parts of Norse society, Skalds Seers and Shapechangers, are all working off of different scraps of the true way to cultivate. So it's less different paths seperate, and more a different spokes of a spiders web, all connected.

Edit: I'm having a weird sleep schedule so sorry if this seems weird or of on a tangent.

From what we've been figuring out it seems all the disparate parts of Norse society, Skalds Seers and Shapechangers, are all working off of different scraps of the true way to cultivate. So it's less different paths seperate, and more a different spokes of a spiders web, all connected.

This is just me and my Xianxia-opinions, but I'm pretty sure we've met some Norse cultivators who know the true way. When we met Thor and... the one guarding the bridge whose name I've forgotten. I don't think Born Gods really exist in this setting, so much as Gods Are Made.

So my theory is; The Norns in myth ended the gods golden age, though what the age meant changes based on interpretation, the equivalent here being (presumably) something like a typical Xianxia setting of commonplace pursuit of immortality and godhood.

Clearly the Norn forced some sort of deal on the Gods who remain, preventing them from making more of their kind. Why? Who knows. Maybe too many god-level cultivators break the world, or since their secondary job in myth from deciding fate was keeping the World Tree alive, maybe having too many gods breaks it somehow. Maybe they're just powerful jerks?

Either way, they are now the Enemy of those who discover Odr cultivation. Trying to stop it by all means. Manipulating Fate to prevent mankind's ascension to Godhood.

Odr cultivation is interesting because, unless I've missed the mechanics for it (entirely possible, i turned on reader mode on page 100 of 1500), it doesn't actually seem to rely on outward glory or stories at all? Our non-true external Cultivation is based entirely on being viewed positively by our people and having tales told of our greatness. But Odr is about Building a Home In Our Soul Strong Enough To Survive The Divine Waters.

It plays off some parts of What It Means To Be Norseman, but very different parts than what Orthstirr does. It's about the importance of hearth, Home, and farmland to the culture, not the importance of strength of arm or personal glory.

Interestingly enough, one of the first things we learned about Odr was that introducing it to our mind made us Frenzy. Odr is madness and violence. But we didn't get to the next stage with our internal cultivation by just adding more Odr, it wasn't internalizing more madness and violence that achieved that goal. We got stronger by adding a safe haven to protect us from that Odr, that violence.

I think in this internal cultivation metaphor, Odr is violence, it is warfare, it is enemies, it is death.

We reached the first stage by protecting Ourselves from death, surviving Odr.

We reached the second stage by protecting our Home from Odr, erecting a safe place from the horrors of war, a place of refuge we can come back to that Cannot be invaded by death.

Here I split into various theories depending on how many stages there may be:

Stage three might come from protecting our Livelihood/Livestock from Odr. This could be represented with the wisps we have been convincing to move in with us. Once we can open the gate again and the flood touches no Wisp, we ascend further?

In this theory I would guess the next stage would be either Protecting Our Family (though you might argue the second stage was that) or Protecting Our Hold - making all of the land around our home safe, becoming the Headsman of our internal village and keeping it safe from the ravages of Odr, of violence and madness.

The fifth stage of the latter portion would be Protecting Our Jarldom, as we become the Jarl of an expansive soulscape and learn to protect it from the Gate of War And Death.

Just slowly escalating until we have an internal Kingdom or World that makes us a God akin to Thor.

Any of these stages can be moved forward or backward as needed.

In this theory, Odr is a force of madness and violence that we must learn to overcome and survive and keep our Home/People/Land safe from, just like how Vikingr had to survive their rivals and their raids, with each stage increasing what is Ours. Where Orthstirr cultivation is offensive, it's claiming glory and taking names and goods, Odr cultivation is defensive, its protecting what you have from others.

My other theory is still that Odr is madness and horrors, but that instead of its cultivation being a metaphor for war coming to Your Home and killing you/ending your livelihood/burning down your home, it's a metaphor for... PTSD? Or other mental ailments common in warriors. A metaphor for what you bring home with you, when you come back from war.

By cultivating somewhere safe and peaceful to forget about the horrors. A place of healing and care and love that can help keep you from breaking down. A healthy home. A peaceful forest. Good neighbors. Etc.

Edit: I'm sure all of this has been theorized before, by people who have been reading far longer than I have. I apologize if it comes off as annoying

Last edited:
So my theory is; The Norns in myth ended the gods golden age, though what the age meant changes based on interpretation, the equivalent here being (presumably) something like a typical Xianxia setting of commonplace pursuit of immortality and godhood.

Clearly the Norn forced some sort of deal on the Gods who remain, preventing them from making more of their kind. Why? Who knows. Maybe too many god-level cultivators break the world, or since their secondary job in myth from deciding fate was keeping the World Tree alive, maybe having too many gods breaks it somehow. Maybe they're just powerful jerks?

Either way, they are now the Enemy of those who discover Odr cultivation. Trying to stop it by all means. Manipulating Fate to prevent mankind's ascension to Godhood.
We've been told that the enemy is associated with kinslaying, and in general hates society progressing, add those to a lot of other small minutae IF has posted over the thread and we're pretty certain the enemy is Ymir, who was killed by Odin and his brothers to create the world. Thereby giving him a reason to not want Odin's people to have their culture grow.

Yeah, but All Men Die doesn't mean they have to die in 60 years. Halla actually had some thoughts on All Men Die semi recently (within the last IC year) where she talks about how one day Odin will die and the gods will be slain in Ragnarok and how this is a Sign that All Men Die.

There's no reason we have to die in a mortal lifespan, for All Men Die to apply and be acceptable. If the gods can live hundreds, thousands of years, but still be fated to Die, and this is acceptable, why not us? 😀

Edit: Actually didn't we recently gain a power called Loophole that lets us make the impossible totally incapable totally never able to be done just improbable?

Seems like moving your own Fated Day far into the future could be a (extremely advanced) Loophole. Sure, we will die. Next century!
Blackhand's bones were closer to dust than bone by the end of his life and he died in his late sixties, there is only one source of immortality for the Norse and he presumably didn't like the terms of that agreement.

Edit: Technically 2 but good luck getting a stable source of magic apples

Last edited:
draugurdom is also a path to a sort of but not really immortality. someone depraved enough could probably develop it into some kind of lichdom.

yea lets not. It's still interesting to think about. the price paid for lichdom might actually be lower than the price for becoming a steelfather since you wouldnt get the whole "as strong as steel" part of the deal.

Odr cultivation is interesting because, unless I've missed the mechanics for it (entirely possible, i turned on reader mode on page 100 of 1500), it doesn't actually seem to rely on outward glory or stories at all? Our non-true external Cultivation is based entirely on being viewed positively by our people and having tales told of our greatness. But Odr is about Building a Home In Our Soul Strong Enough To Survive The Divine Waters.

The amount of Odr we get per turn is equal to roughly a ninth of our Orth pool

We reached the first stage by protecting Ourselves from death, surviving Odr.

We reached the second stage by protecting our Home from Odr, erecting a safe place from the horrors of war, a place of refuge we can come back to that Cannot be invaded by death.

Here I split into various theories depending on how many stages there may be:

Stage three might come from protecting our Livelihood/Livestock from Odr. This could be represented with the wisps we have been convincing to move in with us. Once we can open the gate again and the flood touches no Wisp, we ascend further?

The current theory of the thread is that the stages of realm 1 are as follows

1 The Karl Stage: build a farm and fortify it from the dangers of the outside

2 The Jarl Stage: Get people (more specifically spirits) to start working our land and paying us tax (unconfirmed obviously but I think it makes sense)

3 The King Stage ??????

draugurdom is also a path to a sort of but not really immortality. someone depraved enough could probably develop it into some kind of lichdom.
I don't think Draugrs are really the same person (if they are then that raises some questions)

We're gonna have Fire stuff every incarnation I'm pretty sure. The benefits aren't gonna go away and thematically, it's all tied in with Blackhand and the Bloodline and so on. That said, Halla's specific Fire stuff doesn't strongly resemble what the person who focuses hard on Pyroclasm (ie: Lava) is gonna have for fire stuff and all their other Hugareida will be different, and I think the same is true for most other builds based on other Fire Hugareida. I think our next character's build will not be very similar even if burning people to death remains on the itinerary.
I mean, Ignition seems like the baseline everyone fire specced have, at least in our family. but thats just that, the baseline. few go into it as heavily as Halla, and we can probably spec into other stuff from it, with alloys or otherwise
Eh, I'm betting that Odr cultivation, as the more proper and true form of Norse Cultivation, can probably ward off at least some of that. Our father lacked Odr, and while Solrun said similar was happening to Blackhand, it's possible he didn't know (or even pursue) secrets related to longevity.

Even if we don't, we have easily 40+ years of game until then. At the rate we have gone, we will have punched multiple Jarls to death and been named queen of Norway by then.
I mean, its likely Halla's last arc is the war arc, and then she retires. the entire premise of this quest is that it can't be won over one generation.
Sure, they're just boring and kinda basic layers. He's fine. He's inoffensive. He has never bothered me in any negative way. I've just also never felt anything particularly great about him either.

But it's just a taste thing. Everyone likes different characters.
we will probably have more drama on that front with the next character. especially if we choose to go wandering with it

Instead we are throwing flaming Kamehamehas that part the clouds and our tactic for most fights is 'if fire doesn't work, try hotter fire'.
I mean, Halla is definitely not the 'just more power' kind of fighter. she is extremely diverse and versatile. its just that her main form of offense is fire based. but the usage of that fire, and stuff used with it, differs greatly. she is a very tactical fighter and has a huge toolkit stretching from wrestling based tricks to her Standstill, to all kind of special bullshit like the quick shields

I just caught up with this after reading over the last 4ish days. It's been pretty enjoyable! I will say being a flying fireball throwing craft-witch isn't exactly what I was expecting going into it.

I am saddened that my favorite character (Gabriel) left. He was great. I can't wait for him to come back to kill our dad just for Halla to be like 'yeah about that... hes already dead'. I do wish we had the chance to be a real weirdo and have a half-Christian/English family.

I feel that last bit is probably partly my not reallt caring for who she ended up with. Unfortunately I just feel less rosy about Abjorn and I wish that Halla hadn't decided who she was marrying at like, 13(?) so there could have been a chance of more drama and decisions to be made there. He's not bad, he's just... boring. A huge wall of meat with the personality of 'kinda nice and protective'.

The children system is... interesting? I'm not sure if we are ever going to explore it in more detail, Halla hasn't died too often thus far, though the experimentation seems more likely to off her than anything else.

I do find myself rolling my eyes at how every single child has basically every +basic traits thing built in. We really ended up giving birth to an entire generation of giant geniuses blessed with luck and who happen to be budding with seer (or at least, magical soul animal) talent. Once they start growing up we are going to have a bunch of 10 year Olds out competing 16 year Olds to face the adult hood trials, if they're as talented as they look on paper.

Steinnar and Asveig had pretty lame kids in comparison! What lame parents we had. 😜

I do hope that if we do end up dying at some point, we make something very different than Halla build wise. I will definitely be voting for whoever the black sheep and weirdest of the family is as the next viewpoint, in such a case. One of her kids will just have to develop power over water instead of fire or maybe inherit Steinnar's plant powers. It felt a little forced to go the fire route when we discovered we got super quadruple xp growth to all fire stuff.

I think the Fylgja are the most interesting base part of the quest. So of course theyre the least focused upon on Halla! I'd love to see what going hard on them could produce. Hal's wolf-fusion stuff was pretty cool.

Being a woman definitely didn't seem to inhibit Halla nearly as much as was advertised early on in the quest. I guess Steinnar was just too cool for anyone to say anything about his daughter (besides his own wife/her mother) and her oddness. And by the time they could, she was one of the top 3 strongest people at the trials despite competing 4 years earlier than expected and then won a very big victory on her first raid.

Going off that early on 'Norseman benchmarks' post, Halla is rocketing past where she should be in her 30s at 21. In base stats at least. Her skills suffer in comparison, with her definitely putting way more time into her magic fire stuff than any of her mundane skills.

Seriously, even a 16 year old Norseman should have 4 farmwork! And she only has 3! At 21!

Disappointment.

Welcome to the Quest, it's exciting to see the author of another popular Xianxia quest coming over to visit! Honestly many of these impressions were exactly the ones I had when reading the quest and have mentioned before, so I get where you're coming from.

The early marriage is I think probably the greatest missed dramatic opportunity of the quest, in terms of being able to get much more meaningful tension out of who Halla would marry. Abjorn is definitely lovely but also quite boring, bless him, but that always made sense to me in the way you quite often see very high-achieving women marry fairly boring-but-nice-and-comfy men. And on that note, yeah I'm not sure I really mind this per se, but it feels quite hard to see where Halla's gender has held her back or caused the issues indicated in the OP. Honestly I suspect this is because IF simply did not enjoy writing this kind of stuff in practice, which honestly I can relate to.

The Parenting Gacha elements are also one of the bits o the Quest I find the most... confused, and like the least in terms of the effects on the meta-narrative. Everyone insists that they like the scenes with our kids because they're "character focussed" and personal, but having read those scenes, it feels like 90% of the time it's just obsessing over what traits our kids have so their stat progression will be higher. There's no memorable scenes which I can recall about, for example, seeing our children's first word, or teaching them to ride a horse, or having them fall asleep on top of us after a day's adventures, basically any of the stuff I'd associate with the experience of parenthood. Could be me being forgetful here, to be fair.

But perhaps more importantly, the focus on having the Most Optimally Statted Child and the much-touted sequel quest tend to take emphasis away from Halla's story. Instead Halla starts to be viewed more as a kind of human delivery vehicle for her children (who will have even higher stat progression, wow) in a way I'm not a fan of. This seems to me to be both tempting fate given what we should all know about Quest sequels, but also... I would like us to be fully invested in Halla's story while it is happening.

Flygia are legitimately kind of cool, and it took me until I was nearly halfway into the Quest before I had a clear mental picture of what they even were. It does feel like more could be done with Norse Pokémon; making them a more core aspect of cultivation and fights. Although if that was the case I'd kind of want us to have a cooler Flygia, honestly. The Cindershoot Owl is like the "it has really great mileage" of animal spirits, the living embodiment of SV Quest voter's complete inability to avoid shinies and crafting systems whenever offered. :D

Anyway, it's great to have you aboard, hope you stick around! We're going on a trip to scatter our dad's ashes over the sunken ruin of Gotland soon, and will hopefully be Finally learning more about Steel as we're planning to sit down with Sten about it, so I'm sure there will be some some fun stuff ahead in the near future.

But perhaps more importantly, the focus on having the Most Optimally Statted Child and the much-touted sequel quest tend to take emphasis away from Halla's story. Instead Halla starts to be viewed more as a kind of human delivery vehicle for her children (who will have even higher stat progression, wow) in a way I'm not a fan of. This seems to me to be both tempting fate given what we should all know about Quest sequels, but also... I would like us to be fully invested in Halla's story while it is happening.
I feel there's a disconnect here. Just because people are pushing for getting our kids stats up doesn't mean they're not also invested in Halla's story as it is right now. Not to also mention that Halla herself will still be around and a character, so her story isn't just going to be dropped as soon as we jump into the next body.

I just caught up with this after reading over the last 4ish days. It's been pretty enjoyable! I will say being a flying fireball throwing craft-witch isn't exactly what I was expecting going into it.
Welcome to the party!

I do agree with a lot that you and Skippy have to say, which is one of the reasons I'm planning on swapping to a less breakneck pace come the end of NQ1. That'll give me time to actually write scenes without having to cut down to the bare essentials.

Even if we don't, we have easily 40+ years of game until then. At the rate we have gone, we will have punched multiple Jarls to death and been named queen of Norway by then.

There've been indications we won't live much past 50, and the only 'longevity secrets' we've seen any evidence of are becoming a Steelfather (which is bad juju) and Idunn's Apples (which are hard to get ahold of to say the least). Odds seem almost certain that, at least in Halla's case, we're not gonna get ahold of anything age-defying.

This is just me and my Xianxia-opinions, but I'm pretty sure we've met some Norse cultivators who know the true way. When we met Thor and... the one guarding the bridge whose name I've forgotten. I don't think Born Gods really exist in this setting, so much as Gods Are Made.

IF has stated that the Gods are in fact a different species. That said, they aren't immortal (hence needing Idunn's Apples). I think the ones we've met probably are complete cultivators though, it's true.

The Norns are explicitly not The Enemy. It's been confirmed they're more acting as the referee of...all that. We also know that the enemy's name starts with Y from Blackhand screwing up and almost saying it, and he has referred to it as 'he' on several occasions. Add in the other evidence that mythfan12 mentions and we're, like, 99% sure it's Ymir. But even if it's not, it's not the Norns.

I think in this internal cultivation metaphor, Odr is violence, it is warfare, it is enemies, it is death.

Odr is very explicitly creativity. For the Norse, that's also madness and violence (they viewed war and poetry as basically the same variety of activity), but it's not just that.

Edit: I'm sure all of this has been theorized before, by people who have been reading far longer than I have. I apologize if it comes off as annoying

No worries, new theories are always interesting to hear.

The early marriage is I think probably the greatest missed dramatic opportunity of the quest, in terms of being able to get much more meaningful tension out of who Halla would marry. Abjorn is definitely lovely but also quite boring, bless him, but that always made sense to me in the way you quite often see very high-achieving women marry fairly boring-but-nice-and-comfy men. And on that note, yeah I'm not sure I really mind this per se, but it feels quite hard to see where Halla's gender has held her back or caused the issues indicated in the OP. Honestly I suspect this is because IF simply did not enjoy writing this kind of stuff in practice, which honestly I can relate to.

Personally, I don't think the early marriage needs to remove tension. Will they or won't they stuff is very specific in its variety of tension and can be tiring as much as entertaining, IMO, depending on circumstances. That said, more opportunities to actually see Abjorn and Halla interacting, to see why they're both happy in the relationship would've been good.

The Parenting Gacha elements are also one of the bits o the Quest I find the most... confused, and like the least in terms of the effects on the meta-narrative. Everyone insists that they like the scenes with our kids because they're "character focussed" and personal, but having read those scenes, it feels like 90% of the time it's just obsessing over what traits our kids have so their stat progression will be higher. There's no memorable scenes which I can recall about, for example, seeing our children's first word, or teaching them to ride a horse, or having them fall asleep on top of us after a day's adventures, basically any of the stuff I'd associate with the experience of parenthood. Could be me being forgetful here, to be fair.

The actual kid scenes are more about their relationships with others than anything else since so far we've mostly only had playdates. Stat progression doesn't play into those basically at all. That said, more of this sort of stuff would be good, but I imagine it's hard for IF to fit in along with everything else.

I don't feel like this has actually been a problem. We have not actually focused on or obsessed over this all that much. We fiddled around with it in, like, 4 votes total, I think, and have some neat ideas for what we might want to do in a sequel, but the focus has stayed very much on Halla for the most part, IMO.

The amount of Odr we get per turn is equal to roughly a ninth of our Orth pool

1/27 actually. It's 1/9 our lowest Aspect.

Last edited:
I feel there's a disconnect here. Just because people are pushing for getting our kids stats up doesn't mean they're not also invested in Halla's story as it is right now. Not to also mention that Halla herself will still be around and a character, so her story isn't just going to be dropped as soon as we jump into the next body.

Of course you're right, there's no inherent conflict between being invested in the metaplot or future iterations of the quests, and remaining invested in Halla's story. But my contention is that in practice, the former often has sometimes a distorting effect on the latter. If I had a dollar for every time that someone had said "We've already achieved enough in this incarnation, remember this is about passing things down to our kids." whenever another player else proposed doing something cool, I would have over a hundred dollars, and then need to go to a currency exchange place to get them exchanged for pounds because I live in the UK.

Also worth remembering here that the idea of Halla still being around in the sequel is actually quite recent, and the idea of Charred Soul being able to be passed on without her death is even more recent. If you go back a bit you will find people talking in all seriousness talking about how long they wanted Halla to live. Glad that we moved on from that idea personally, although *touches wood* we will still have our work cut out to survive Vestfold and the coming war.

The actual kid scenes are more about their relationships with others than anything else since so far we've mostly only had playdates. Stat progression doesn't play into those basically at all.

The playdates also have attached traits for each of the potential playmates for our kids, and discussions have heavily revolved around which playmates will help our kids them level up faster. 😅

Like I don't have an inherent problem with that - frankly it makes a lot of sense in a cultivation setting given how dynastic cultivators can tend to be. But it's just kind of funny given people bring up the playdates occasionally as if they were some wholly "fluff" and character-focussed thing.

Welcome to the party!

I do agree with a lot that you and Skippy have to say, which is one of the reasons I'm planning on swapping to a less breakneck pace come the end of NQ1. That'll give me time to actually write scenes without having to cut down to the bare essentials.

Honestly I think this Quest has been a triumph, and I really love it, and have gotten far more invested than I expected when I started binging the quest. As I hope you know, any constructive commentary is because I'm so excited to see where you go from here as a writer.

Honestly I think this Quest has been a triumph, and I really love it, and have gotten far more invested than I expected when I started binging the quest. As I hope you know, any constructive commentary is because I'm so excited to see where you go from here as a writer.
Of course! I value anything that'd help me grow.

I am also planning on revising most mechanics in-between NQ1 and NQ2, including the child-creation process

0~0~0

Anyways, 'voting' is now closed.

Scheduled vote count started by Imperial Fister on Nov 1, 2023 at 2:14 PM, finished with 3 posts and 0 votes.
No votes were able to be tallied!

Last edited:
The playdates also have attached traits for each of the potential playmates for our kids, and discussions have heavily revolved around which playmates will help our kids them level up faster. 😅

Like I don't have an inherent problem with that - frankly it makes a lot of sense in a cultivation setting given how dynastic cultivators can tend to be. But it's just kind of funny given people bring up the playdates occasionally as if they were some wholly "fluff" and character-focussed thing.

I have no memories of there being stat-increase discussions around the playdates. There've certainly been conversations about our kids making friends with the most impressive other kids as a pragmatic matter, but that's not stat-based (or not on our kids end, anyway...the other kids 'stats' are very abstract, but are relevant, I suppose). I guess I view that in a different category. 'Dynastic thinking' rather than 'stat-based optimization', which strike me as somewhat different things.

Last edited:
Back