Alright, here's my thought on the vote:

[X] *hug Abjorn* "I don't like thinking about either of those things either. But, and I can't talk about how, not won't but can't, stopping what I'm doing would be a surrender to an enemy who wishes foul things for all of us, for our children and their children and all the generations afterward. I try to be as careful as I can, and I don't blame you if you never want to deal with some parts of this...but I can't stop, and the others deserve to make their own choices about what risks they want to take. I do know what happened one those occasions and generally how to avoid or reduce those issues going forward, though new issues are always possible."

I think that explains our position as well as it can without risking Disclosure? I could add some more details if other people have them.

EDIT: Added a bit at the end.

Last edited:
Ok i must not have been paying attention, what is he talking about? Writhing on the floor?

[X]DeadmanwalkingXI

The main hurdle I can see complicating this is Abjorn not accepting vagueness as an answer, which tbf, he has every right to be that way. He has no clue what we're doing and all he can see is the worst effects. But at the same time we literally can't say anything definitive without reprisal.

Ok i must not have been paying attention, what is he talking about? Writhing on the floor?
When we cultivated around others, we basically went into a seizure state.

Maybe mention that we know specifically which thing caused us to go crazy, and iirc we aren't offering Hugr Infusions right now so that shouldn't be an issue? Otherwise its good tho I think.

Fair. Added a sentence at the end to that effect.

When we first Odr cultivated we had a seizure...we basically had another when we died recently.

I mean we *did* die within the last...year? in universe from our experiments, so... :p Also, i wonder how much of abjorn's stress is him making parallels (subconscious or not) between 'experiment driving my wife into a frenzy where she attacks her loved ones' with 'his own fears of becoming an abusive husband and father, and the one time he *did* hit halla"

I mean we *did* die within the last...year? in universe from our experiments, so... :p Also, i wonder how much of abjorn's stress is him making parallels (subconscious or not) between 'experiment driving my wife into a frenzy where she attacks her loved ones' with 'his own fears of becoming an abusive husband and father, and the one time he *did* hit halla"

Note: Abjorn never actually hit Halla. He thought about it hard enough that our Frenzy predicted it, but he didn't do it.

Honestly I'd be down to slow down/pause our experimenting for a bit. We have been going hard on odr as the solution to everything, but maybe we could find other paths to power. Steinnar was a terribly powerful combatant and he never once had a whiff of odr.

We also know there are other Odr cultivators in the world. Quite a few in fact, every boss we meet! Most of them have hated us. But maybe instead of experimenting alone, we could try to actually work together with them. Wasn't Abjorn's own brother an Odr cultivator?

Heck we even have some knowledge of Zeal, which seems to be the Christian equivalent of Odr, down to it sending Gabriel into a berserker rage where he almost tried to kill us, when he tapped into it too deeply.

We do a lot of experimenting at home, but maybe there's other things we can do to further our Odr knowledge. Things other than risking killing ourselves with random experimentation.

Last edited:
Honestly I'd be down to slow down/pause our experimenting for a bit. We have been going hard on odr as the solution to everything, but maybe we could find other paths to power. Steinnar was a terribly powerful combatant and he never once had a whiff of odr.

We know there are other Odr cultivators in the world. Most of them have hated us. But maybe instead of experimenting alone, we could try to actually work together with them. Wasn't Abjorn's own brother an Odr cultivator?

Heck we even have some knowledge of Zeal, which seems to be the Christian equivalent of Odr, down to it sending Gabriel into a berserker rage where he almost tried to kill us, when he tapped into it too deeply.

We do a lot of experimenting at home, but maybe there's other things we can do to further our Odr knowledge. Things other than risking killing ourselves with random experimentation.
Farbjorn is a potential avenue for it, but he's off in the Danelaw so it'd be difficult. Other than him though it was implied most Odr cultivators are right arseholes so I doubt they'd work with us.

We also know there are other Odr cultivators in the world. Quite a few in fact, every boss we meet! Most of them have hated us. But maybe instead of experimenting alone, we could try to actually work together with them. Wasn't Abjorn's own brother an Odr cultivator?

I mean, we can't talk Odr with the others without triggering disclosure. but we can't really give it up either. it is the most important secret of norse cultivation

We can absolutely slow down a bit. In fact, I think that's the plan, in a lot of ways...we're gonna be, like, recruiting spirits not actually fiddling with Odr itself for a while now. But we can't actually stop and we owe it to Abjorn to make that clear, I think.

He was also Ironjaw's personal student and a veteran of the Varangian Guard neither of which we can pursue due to our other responsibilities
Carolingian Cultivation is going to have as much in common with Norse cultivation as Carolingian culture does with Norse culture

Don't get me wrong it could definitely help but in no way will it come close to substituting for actual experimentation

Yeah, one downside of Cultural Cultivation of this nature really is that Magic A is Magic A and Magic B is Magic B.

Remind me, the going wild part was only because we infused Hugr without a fast and not because it overrides fasts or calm charges, right?

Remind me, the going wild part was only because we infused Hugr without a fast and not because it overrides fasts or calm charges, right?

Evidence suggests you always go berserk when you first infuse Hugr. Fasts 'merely' let you calm down afterwards much better than Halla could at the time. Calm Charges may override that, but it's unclear at the moment.

The issue with this is that we don't exactly have Zoom calls and everyone lives pretty darn far away so we'd have to either move or convince someone else to move to the Valley

[X] *hug Abjorn* "I don't like thinking about either of those things either. But, and I can't talk about how, not won't but can't, stopping what I'm doing would be a surrender to an enemy who wishes foul things for all of us, for our children and their children and all the generations afterward. I try to be as careful as I can, and I don't blame you if you never want to deal with some parts of this...but I can't stop, and the others deserve to make their own choices about what risks they want to take. I do know what happened one those occasions and generally how to avoid or reduce those issues going forward, though new issues are always possible."

I've got nothing, so I'm just gonna go with Deadman on this, hopefully it'll be ok.

I mean, we can't talk Odr with the others without triggering disclosure. but we can't really give it up either. it is the most important secret of norse cultivation

We can though? We just can't talk about it to people who don't already know about it/aren't already Odr cultivators. It was made clear multiple times that it is possible to discuss Odr between other cultivators, though that it can be dangerous because it attracts attention.

The xianxia-attitude having Skald girl made it clear that her intention when approaching us was even recruiting us to an organization/society/what not of Odr cultivators. Not really an option to join because she views our family as Mongrel subhumans, but it's still precedent

so someone like Fabjorn would be able to discuss it with just us, if we could find a way to convince him to do so.

It's not impossible to find guidance in it. Just difficult. But probably less suddenly deadly.

And obviously it's not simple, but reaching where Fabjorn lays his head is a weeks journey by see. Hell, we can reach England in 10 days. It's definitely not a casual trip but it's a possibility, at least.

Last edited:

Back