I've just recently read up to date for this quest, but if we reforge anything, I think I'd be in favor of reforging Thievesbane to be honest. I'm not certain I like the sword of Damocles that it currently represents, with it being liable to fail us at a critical moment. Xianxia worlds seem to half run on narrative conventions a lot of the time, and we should probably work to mitigate that potential crisis.

I mean, that is if we plan on keeping Thievesbane long term anyway. Maybe there is some narrative weight to our first weapon? Idk.

Hrm. Nowhere near enough of the Good Stuff then to make something special, not with our current budget.

I think we should get a pile of Bog Iron to further practice with then as well as replace what we used earlier, that is the Honorable thing to do methinks.

[X] Plan: Making Good on our Loans
-[X] Yes
--[X] Sell: 2 Basic Work Knives, 1 Decent Toolkit (+3.5 Silver)
--[X] 32 Oz of Bog Iron (2 Silver) (For feeding Sten's forge)
--[X] 48 Oz of Bog Iron (3 Silver) (for Personal Use)
-[X] There's somebody telling tales in the Headsman's hall, go listen for a spell

At the end of the day, we don't have the budget to afford the shiny stuff. Better to have a good quantity of stuff to practice with so we can grind our skills up to where we can risk using the high quality stuff on Big Projects.

32 Ounces of Bog Iron should be enough to pay back Sten for letting us use his materials earlier, plus a little extra as a token of our appreciation, then we've got a good quantity left to experiment with. I think it'll work nicely and we can make a decent profit from our practice work in preparation for any raiding later on.

Last edited:
I've just recently read up to date for this quest, but if we reforge anything, I think I'd be in favor of reforging Thievesbane to be honest. I'm not certain I like the sword of Damocles that it currently represents, with it being liable to fail us at a critical moment. Xianxia worlds seem to half run on narrative conventions a lot of the time, and we should probably work to mitigate that potential crisis.

I mean, that is if we plan on keeping Thievesbane long term anyway. Maybe there is some narrative weight to our first weapon? Idk.
I don't think it is, though? It would only fail us at a critical moment if it thought us a thief... and by this point, I don't feel like it does.

Last edited:
Now mind you, I'm all for using the Cool Ass Magical Metal, but I want us to have skill worthy of using that kind of thing first, since a well crafted weapon made of magical metal is probably heirloom quality.

Now mind you, I'm all for using the Cool Ass Magical Metal, but I want us to have skill worthy of using that kind of thing first, since a well crafted weapon made of magical metal is probably heirloom quality.
Yeah... that's the kind of thing we want to buy with raiding money... and probably after we've managed to complete the applicable boon.

How much metal does an atgeir require?

If it takes as much as a sword (which seems plausible) then it's going to run 27 ounces of silver just for enough metal to make the attempt once.

So, completely different topic, but out of curiosity, in terms of defending ourself from harm what are the differences between using Reinforce Shield on our armor and using Halting Vortex? Like, obviously Reinforce Shield has a variable cost, but aside from that?

Last edited:
So, completely different topic, but out of curiosity, in terms of defending ourself from harm what are the differences between using Reinforce Shield on our armor and using Halting Vortex? Like, obviously Reinforce Shield has a variable cost, but aside from that?
Reinforce Shield adds additional hitpoints to your armor (that only last that round) while Halting Vortex is a move used to block incoming attacks.

Reinforce Shield adds additional hitpoints to your armor (that only last that round) while Halting Vortex is a move used to block incoming attacks.

Cool. So...for Halting Vortex, do we always use it after our rolled defense as a last ditch 'sacrifice this and stop the attack like sacrificing a shield would' (which is seemingly how it was used in the fight with Gabriel) or can it be used for a rolled defense (in which case Hugareida dice would apply)? If the latter, what happens when the roll succeeds, does the shield persist afterwards like a real shield would?

Last edited:
Cool. So...for Halting Vortex, do we always use it after our rolled defense as a last ditch 'sacrifice this and stop the attack like sacrificing a shield would' (which is seemingly how it was used in the fight with Gabriel) or can it be used for a rolled defense (in which case Hugareida dice would apply)? If the latter, what happens when the roll succeeds, does the shield persist afterwards like a real shield would?
The former. Thinking on it more, I don't think that hugareida dice would apply to Halting Vortex.

The former. Thinking on it more, I don't think that hugareida dice would apply to Halting Vortex.

Cool. That makes total sense, and is what I thought was the case, just clarifying. And speaking of clarification, can Reinforce Shield be used more than once per turn, or used in reaction to an attack rather than preemptively?

Sorry for the litany of questions, but our next fight is probably the boss fight and I want a clear idea of what our defenses in particular do so we can use them appropriately.

And speaking of clarification, can Reinforce Shield be used more than once per turn, or used in reaction to an attack rather than preemptively?
You can have as many layers as you want, it just costs orthstirr. And they do have to be preemptive as you are, essentially and very literally, painting the orthstirr on.
Sorry for the litany of questions,
Don't apologize for asking questions; answering questions is the sort of thing I live for. Unless I am physically incapable of responding or going through the ringer, I'll answer it. (With the caveat that I might forget or simply miss it)

Though, I am about to go to sleep so don't expect any more answers until I wake up. Feel free to keep asking questions, though

You can have as many layers as you want, it just costs orthstirr. And they do have to be preemptive as you are, essentially and very literally, painting the orthstirr on.

Check. But multiple layers still all burn off when a Trick hits us, right? We can't put on four layers each of +1 Endurance and then lose them only one at a time to prevent 4 tricks, right?

Don't apologize for asking questions; answering questions is the sort of thing I live for. Unless I am physically incapable of responding or going through the ringer, I'll answer it. (With the caveat that I might forget or simply miss it)

Though, I am about to go to sleep so don't expect any more answers until I wake up. Feel free to keep asking questions, though

Cool, will do.

EDIT: Actually, speaking of which: Hefty-Halter Chop is basically a defense plus a disarm attempt of sorts, yeah? What happens if you use it on something without weapons like a bear? Do they take damage if it succeeds?

Oh, and importantly for turn planning, does putting orthstirr into the Fylgja Command skill help with our owl's spell-gacha roll? Like, is that roll raw Fylgja or is it a Command roll?

Last edited:
I wanted to put my die in Wordcraft...
How about this: I put it for Imaging, but the plan put a training die in Wordcraft too?

jy3 already volunteered one of their Reward Dice for Imaging and we only need one, so we're good. You want to put yours in Wordplay, you should feel free, though I think it'll be the only die in Wordplay in the upcoming two turns (we do want more of that...but probably after we survive the boss fight).

Personally, I'd put it into something more time sensitive like advancing Halting Vortex, learning a dodge trick, or learning explosive charm, but it's your die.

Last edited:
In-universe, the only thing that's truly 'written in stone' is death. You can't change it, but you can meet it head on. And maybe, maybe, if you're the luckiest, most bad-ass viking on the planet, maybe you won't be all-dead.

For Questing purposes, it's a little bit looser than that. Like, Halla's not going to live forever, that is an objective fact. But will she live to forty or eighty? Or will she die at twenty? That's up to you to figure out.
So... what you are saying is, Halla could live two hundred, as well as two thousand years... with the only caveat that she will die at one point or another? :V
Joke aside, yeah, living as long as you aren't killed is one of the best kind of immortality.
The first is something called 'Icicle Iron', which apparently delivers some kind of freezing effect. The second is called 'Molten Iron', which sets things on fire. And the third is 'Storm Iron', which electrocutes targets.
*WABBAJACK MEMES INTENIFY*
Joke aside, a studded club with these special irons as the studs would be interesting.
Also, we could make fire starters with the molten iron, just gotta seath it in something that wont get too hot to touch/set fire to whatever it touches/melt...
A basic helmet would require about 30oz of iron to make
A mail-necked helmet would require about 45oz of iron to make
That's honestly great news, but i gotta ask, what about bracers or greaves?

Last edited:

Narratively, I think we're keeping it as a backup until we run into its original owner, at which point we return it. Like, reforging it would remove that possibility, and thus seems narratively bad to me personally.

And, as Sirrocco says, I don't think it is likely to fail us as it doesn't consider us a thief, especially since we've taken the above attitude. Now if we met the original owner (or their heirs) and didn't give it back, then we'd maybe have issues, but I don't see that happening.

So... what you are saying is, Halla could live two hundred, as well as two thousand years... with the only caveat that she will die at one point or another? :V
Joke aside, yeah, living as long as you aren't killed is one of the best kind of immortality.

I think we need Hamr 7+ to become immune to age (that seems to fall under shapeshifting, like fixing our myopia)...but yes. As I recall, our current ruler is not called a king because the previous one ruled so long that his name was basically 'King' and it'd be weird for anyone else to be called that. So there doesn't seem to be anything preventing a Norseman from living centuries in theory. In practice, there's all the violence, of course.

Last edited:
Do you think it'd be possible to get Halfdan's help when we try to kill Horra? He did swear a promise of loyalty and friendship to not only Halla, but her descendants too.

Do you think it'd be possible to get Halfdan's help when we try to kill Horra? He did swear a promise of loyalty and friendship to not only Halla, but her descendants too.

Probably if we make an expedition out of it, yeah. If thread speculation is right and our boss fight at 16 is his fylgja coming to kill our baby brother, we may not get the chance to do that, though. That'd almost definitionally be a defensive battle we needed to engage in alone.

Back