Oh, gods, we really lucked out, again, huh?
Your knee swings up and hits something soft, squishy, and ever so vulnerable.
Guess blood feuds override initial intentions :V
But we wouldn't have gotten of that easily if he wasn't so unfavored by the crowd, I guess?

As for shopping, we still need a gambeson, the original reason we came here... And greaves as well as a helmet.

Curious what Two shield has in mind... Perhaps a raid?

Edit: vote
[X] There's somebody telling tales in the Headsman's hall, go listen for a spell

Last edited:
Oh, gods, we really lucked out, again, huh?

Guess blood feuds override initial intentions :V
But we wouldn't have gotten of that easily if he wasn't so unfavored by the crowd, I guess?

As for shopping, we still need a gambeson, the original reason we came here... And greaves as well as a helmet.

Curious what Two shield has in mind... Perhaps a raid?

At the end of the day, beating a scumbag with a dirty trick isn't actually a dirty trick, but them getting what they deserved.

Odrengskap is very good until it is bad, and then it sucks.

Is it possible to repair a gambeson? I wouldn't want to lose the 8 oz of silver we spent on it once its endurance reaches 0.

A gambeson isn't super complex, it's literally just a padded jacket with maybe some leather here and there.

Is it possible to repair a gambeson? I wouldn't want to lose the 8 oz of silver we spent on it once its endurance reaches 0.

We know it can be repaired if damaged...I dunno if it getting taken to 0 means it's destroyed, but it shouldn't. It should be repairable.

Probably, yeah.... Question is, do we roll with housecraft or forge dice?
House craft is for clothes and tools, but forge has the trick for armors..

It falls under Armourcraft. There's even a trick to make gambesons there.

You know this just occurred to me but why exactly was it a good idea for a girl with beautiful as a modifier to be in a wrestling competition. I'm honestly amazed none of them well tried anything considering that trait. But the rewards from this were great admittedly.
Well our first opponent was a jolly old fellow who just wanted to earnestly fight, our second fight was against scum who wanted to hurt us more than humilitate us, and our 3rd fight wasn't a fight at all.

overall amazing update, with great winnings all around! Steinar must be proud!

Okay, so with Standstill 2, Inertia-Arresting Throw can potentially hit two targets. Cool, makes sense.

@Imperial Fister What effects does it have on Contested Movement and Halting Vortex? Neither of those involve the dice bonus (or at least it sounded like Contested Movement didn't), so the scope effects are all they get and I'd think we'd figure out what those are pretty quick since we spar regularly.

Honestly, based on the fact even the Seeress is going "Don't tell your father", I get the feeling that Horra is Steinarr's appointed Doom, and if we don't interrupt that, the next time they meet is the day Steinarr dies.

In that sense, I suspect we'll get our chance with the theorized snake monster being his Fylgja, and him taking a poke at Steinarr's family when he's away. Which means Halla will be the only line of defense, hence the whole "You will get a boss fight that might kill you" thing.

But that also would make him vulnerable in a sense, because while I don't see us having great odds taking on a sneaky bastard who's survived the wrath of an absolute unit like Steinarr as long as he has in a fight, taking on a dispatched Fylgja feels a lot more doable while getting the same result.

Last edited:
@Imperial Fister What effects does it have on Contested Movement and Halting Vortex? Neither of those involve the dice bonus (or at least it sounded like Contested Movement didn't), so the scope effects are all they get and I'd think we'd figure out what those are pretty quick since we spar regularly.
Halting Vortex covers more area. Meaning that you could protect yourself and someone else. It also does involve the dice bonus.

Contested Movement slows down time enough that you could spread the effect to a second strike, should it be required.

What kind of person would Halla become if she got a kenning based on Nut-Cracker? Also, I wonder if we'll be able to hit 50 orthstirr by the time we're 16.

Honestly, based on the fact even the Seeress is going "Don't tell your father", I get the feeling that Horra is Steinarr's appointed Doom, and if we don't interrupt that, the next time they meet is the day Steinarr dies.

From how I understand it, if Steinarr is supposed to die fighting Horra, then there is literally nothing we could to stop it, since the Norns decide when someone die, and fate works accordingly to make sure it happens.

Last edited:

Yeah, that's the vibe I've gotten. I'm not sure it's quite that clear-cut, but if they go into a one on one fight I definitely think fate is against Steinarr there.

In that sense, I suspect we'll get our chance with the theorized snake monster being his Fylgja, and him taking a poke at Steinarr's family when he's away. Which means Halla will be the only line of defense, hence the whole "You will get a boss fight that might kill you" thing.

Yep, that's my current bet. It could potentially be something other than his fylgja that he's sending, but I think the rest is definitely correct.

But that also would make him vulnerable in a sense, because while I don't see us having great odds taking on a sneaky bastard who's survived the wrath of an absolute unit like Steinarr as long as he has in a fight, taking on a dispatched Fylgja feels a lot more doable while getting the same result.

I think Steinarr never actually fought Horra, he just hunted him and failed to catch him. He escaped by sneakiness rather than anything else...but yes, if it is his fylgja we probably have an actual chance at killing him.

What kind of person would Halla become if she got a kenning based on Nut-Cracker? Also, I wonder if we'll be able to hit 50 orthstirr by the time we're 16.

We hit 49 automatically (+3 per year, after all, so we should hit 49 right when the year ends)...so maybe? If we get even a single point more she will.

Last edited:
From how I understand it, if Steinarr is supposed to die fighting Horra, then there is literally nothing we could to stop it, since the Norns decide when someone die, and fate works accordingly to make sure it happens.

My understanding is that it works like the Norns explained in God of War: Ragnarok

For those who haven't played it, let me spoiler block it

The Norns outright say that Fate and Destiny aren't some objective statement of Things That Will Happen. But instead, they're a very, very accurate prediction of how various Larger than Life Figures will interact. Someone who's incapable of leaving a secret well enough alone will keep digging no matter the cost, and that will eventually get them killed when they provoke the wrong person. You can't solve this problem by just making sure you kill everyone you ever offend, because eventually, you'll miss a spot, and that person might come back for revenge.

The only way then to change Fate is to overcome your own nature, to stop being the kind of person who would walk into their own doom because they can't see any other way to live their life. By being a better person.

That aside, if everything in the setting was objectively going to happen a certain way, then a Quest is meaningless because nothing matters, we might as well be reading a story. The fact that we can make choices and do things a certain way means that Fate is not some ironclad statement of Absolute Certainties. That being said, something doesn't need to be absolutely certain to be able to predict it to a great degree of accuracy, given how the incentives in this quest work out. We're not doomed to fight some horrible monster around our sixteenth birthday and it'll appear even if we fuck off to the other side of the world somehow. We're fighting a horrible monster around our sixteenth birthday presumably because the alternative is unthinkable--like some giant snake monster attacking the farm while Steinarr is away doing something else, and the choice is either fight it or let the family get eaten by a giant snake because nobody else is in a position to defend them. Halla is just not going to do the latter given her character, and there's no reason for her to leave the farm before that either because she's already said she's willing to wait until she's of age before she tries to go along on a murderhobo walk.

Last edited:
Imperial explicitly said that someone could survive getting their head and brain crushed as long as 'it wasn't their time to die'. From what I understand, it's an actual in-universe objective thing.

Someone who could survive getting their head and brain crushed is going to do so because they had some absolutely stupid bullshit going on that let them survive getting their head and brain crushed. Like a disgustingly high Hamr score that let them shapeshift a new brain in their stomach until they can wolverine regenerate their proper head.

A random farmer isn't going to survive the same thing whether it was Fated for them to die or not.

Again, I don't think it's Objective Fact that things Will Happen A Certain Way and you will die without fail at a specific point. So much as it's a really good guess and the Norns just don't talk about the times they were wrong. Or it's a probability game or something. Again, we're apparently at risk coming up, but it's up in the air whether we live or die--that's not something that would be the case if the time of your death was absolutely fixed and completely non-negotiable.

I'm certain that in-universe, it's believed that they're infallible. From an OOC perspective though, chances are that it's more a probability game and the Nornir just don't mention the times people beat the odds, because then they just roll back to another likely death point.

EDIT: Of course, there's a way to handwave the existence of a quest with Absolutely Accurate Fate Gods. And that's to say that whatever Hallr did back in the day ended up making the Fate of those who inherit the Blackhand Legacy a bit fuzzier than it is the average Norse, so things are a bit more up in the air--turning into the aforementioned probability game instead of Objective Fact like exists for everyone else.

Last edited:
It has been implied that the Norns aren't invincible.

This means that someone could defeat them, breaking fate.

This must mean, therefore, that the ways their powers work is not actually inviolate, objective fact… merely incredibly likely.

Back