I mean, yeah - from what I understand we'd have to... deal with the Norns if we wanted to do anything about someones fated death. Which I don't see happening with Halla, but who knows.

In-universe, the only thing that's truly 'written in stone' is death. You can't change it, but you can meet it head on. And maybe, maybe, if you're the luckiest, most bad-ass viking on the planet, maybe you won't be all-dead.

For Questing purposes, it's a little bit looser than that. Like, Halla's not going to live forever, that is an objective fact. But will she live to forty or eighty? Or will she die at twenty? That's up to you to figure out.

Is it possible to revive yourself? Or if you did, will you never walk the land of the living again? Like, Hallr is proof that your soul might live on, but is actual resurrection a thing?

Last edited:
From a quest perspective it's pretty easy - if we die, it was our time; if we don't, it wasn't. The only tricky part is if prophecy gets involved and we have only the barest suspicions there was anything prophetic around Steinarr.

Last edited:
Winter 4/Asvir Visit 2.3
Haggling (Hugr (Silver-Tongue): 2, 4, 6, 2, 5, 5, 6, 5, 5, 5) 13+3 Drengskapr = 16 Successes, Nice
As you walk to the smithy, a spark of recognition passes through the eyes of the smith as he looks upon you.

"Hey, aren't you the woman that beat Knappr?" He asks, leaning on the counter of his stall.

"That's me," you nod, your smile full of rightfully earned pride.

"Last time you came by looking for a gambeson, right?" He grins as you nod. "Knappr broke my brother's legs with a trick, same one he tried to pull on you, actually. Since you kicked Knappr's ass out there, you can have it for free."

He lays a gambeson of good quality out on the table. As you look it over, something catches your eye. Hey... wait a second, that's your name on it! Sure enough, on the pale white cloth, gold-colored thread spells out your name in runes.

Your eyes dart up to meet his own mirthful set. He grins, prodding you to take it, which you do.

(+1 Good Gambeson (Customized))

"Thank you..." You trail off, stunned by the generous act.

"Don't expect this to be a regular thing, lass." He shakes your hand, the end of a business exchange. "Now, is there anything else you'd like to buy?"

He spreads his arms over the available goods.

As you look over the iron section, you notice that there's some iron that you've never seen before. Three, in fact.

The first is something called 'Icicle Iron', which apparently delivers some kind of freezing effect. The second is called 'Molten Iron', which sets things on fire. And the third is 'Storm Iron', which electrocutes targets.

All three seem very expensive to you, at six ounces of silver for four ounces of one.

Your eyes pass over the gambesons and you don't find any better than what you just got. Besides, that'd be one heck of an insult to someone! You shudder at the thought.

You briefly consider buying a sax, but quickly discard the thought. After all, you've got Thievesbane to serve as your side arm.

You don't even entertain the thought of buying mail, as it simply is prohibitively expensive to anyone who's not already rich.

You stroke your chin and jaw as you think over your options.

Obviously you can't sell the rewards you got from wrestling, as that would just be disrespectful. And you're not selling the explosive charm, not before you figure it out, that is. It's probably a good idea to hang on to one or two of the work knives, for your future children. But you'll see.

Selling Prices
-2 Basic Work Knives (Worth ~1/2 Silver Oz, Each) (+1 Success to House and Wildcraft Rolls)
-1 Good Work Knife (Worth ~1 1/2 Silver Oz) (+3 Successes to House and Wildcraft Rolls)
-2 Decent Toolsets (Worth ~2 1/2 Silver Oz, Each) (+2 Successes to Crafting Rolls)
Iron Prices
-8 oz of Bog Iron for 1/2 oz of Silver
-8 oz of Forged Iron for 3 oz of Silver
-4 oz of Icicle Iron for 6 oz of Silver
-4 oz of Molten Iron for 6 oz of Silver
-4 oz of Storm Iron for 6 oz of Silver

Would you like to buy or sell anything?
[ ] Yes
-[ ] Write in

[ ] No
-[ ] There's some kind of a commotion in the middle of Asvir, go check it out
-[ ] There's somebody telling tales in the Headsman's hall, go listen for a spell

0~0~0

AN: The haggle roll was spent on getting the gambeson for free, I reckon that you'd be okay with that. If not, then I'll make an edit.

25-minute moratorium.

By the way, Armor Health is a little bit different to normal Endurance and Shield Health. If your armor takes 5 damage in a single round, the next attacks will get through it. This only applies for a single round, of course. This rule also applies to Knightly Armor.

Nice

Maybe get some Bog Iron to practice crafting with so we're not bumming off of Sten?

How much material is needed to craft certain things anyway?

Last edited:
Wow, we're certainly lucky today. Also, Molten Iron would be cool, if only because it goes with our family's theme of fire and whatnot. Although I'm not sure how much iron is actually needed to craft things. I would assume that it varies depending on what you want made.

From a quest perspective it's pretty easy - if we die, it was our time; of we don't, it wasn't. The only tricky part is if prophecy gets involved and we have only the barest suspicions there was anything prophetic around Steinarr.
This is part 1 on dealing with strict fate in participatory story telling:
Just don't make strict fate prophecies beforehand.
Hmm, of the three, fire seems the best combo with Standstill. We could lock someone inside a fire or prevent them from putting themselves out.
Otoh drawing blood with electricity iron could also get nasty really quick.
Blood conducts well and touches all the things you don't want electricity to touch.
Muscles to cause spasms.
The heart to mess up the rhythm.
On the third hand:
IC knowledge.
Hamr part of cultivation may change things.

Yeah, the big thing is knowing how much iron is needed to actually make something, and then probably getting a pile of Bog Iron to practice with since it's pretty cheap.

Oh geeze, I'm really pleased we got the armor already and sorta at a loss for what to do afterward. I think I don't really have an opinion here beyond thinking we should keep our Good Work Knife for sentimental reasons (it's the first thing we ever made), and sell one set of tools (since we do not need two of them).

If we sold both decent work knives and one set of tools, that'd be 3 and 1/2 ounces Silver, which gives us 8 ounces of silver to play around with.

So, if people want a magical material, plus some bog iron to practice with, that plan would look like this:

[ ] Yes
-[ ] Sell 1 Decent Toolset, 2 Decent Work Knives (+3 1/2 ounces silver)
-[ ] Buy 32 ounces Bog Iron (-2 ounces silver)
-[ ] Buy 4 ounces Storm Iron (-6 ounces silver)

But maybe replacing the Storm Iron with Molten Iron or Icicle Iron.

We could also choose not to sell the work knives and get only 16 ounces of Bog Iron. Or skip the magical material (possibly for some Forged Iron) and still have some actual money.

Last edited:
In-universe, the only thing that's truly 'written in stone' is death. You can't change it, but you can meet it head on. And maybe, maybe, if you're the luckiest, most bad-ass viking on the planet, maybe you won't be all-dead.
Like... Hallr, for example.

/******/

For the vote... I feel like the thing we need mostly is an opportunity to practice. We're not even close to being able to forge or even reforge something better than Sagaseeker, regardless of what kind of special iron is available. At the same time, our income curve is goign to be going up sharply enough that it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy something expensive now that we don't intend to use until significantly later.

I suppose that special iron might make a nice gift for our older brother, though, if we decide that we don't want as much bog/forged iron as we can afford.

Also, we should totally talk up the generosity of this particular smith. Seriously.

I'm definitely in favor of getting a pile of Bog Iron and maybe a bit of Forged Iron as a present for Sten, but I'm more leery about getting the enchanted materials when our skills aren't up to making use of them.

The Iron Cost of Forging Things
(For the sake of my sanity, these are Xianxialand Ounces, not real life ounces)

A work knife requires about 3oz of iron to make
A wood axe requires about 16oz of iron to make
A scythe requires about 14oz of iron to make
A pot requires about 28oz of iron to make
A toolset requires about 12oz of iron to make
A plow requires about 36oz of iron to make

A sax requires 8oz of iron to make
An axe requires 12oz of iron to make
A spear requires 12oz of iron to make
A sword requires 18oz of iron to make

Short-Mail requires 200oz of iron to make (Short-Mail would be a shorter-than-average shirt of mail. No skirt or long sleeves there)
Mail requires 250oz of iron to make

Plate Armor requires anywhere from 528–880oz iron to make, depending on the general size of the individual.

A basic helmet would require about 30oz of iron to make
A mail-necked helmet would require about 45oz of iron to make

Stats in (parenthesis) are for if it is made from Forged Iron

Mail
Basic: 2 Armor, +1 to Defense (+2 to Defense)
Decent: 4 Armor, +1 to Defense (+2 to Defense)
Good: 5 Armor, +2 to Defense (+3 to Defense)
Fine: 7 Armor, +2 to Defense (+3 to Defense)
Superior: 8 Armor, +3 to Defense (+4 to Defense)
Grand: 10 Armor, +3 to Defense (+4 to Defense)
Mastercraft: 11 Armor, +4 to Defense (+5 to Defense)
Wondrous: 13 Armor, +4 to Defense (+5 to Defense)
Realized: 15 Armor, +5 to Defense (+6 to Defense)

Helm
Basic: +1 to Defense (+2 to Defense)
Decent: +1 to Defense (+2 to Defense)
Good: +1 to Defense (+2 to Defense)
Fine: +2 to Defense (+3 to Defense)
Superior: +2 to Defense (+3 to Defense)
Grand: +2 to Defense (+3 to Defense)
Mastercraft: +3 to Defense (+4 to Defense)
Wondrous: +3 to Defense (+4 to Defense)
Realized: +3 to Defense (+4 to Defense)

Mail-necked Helm
Basic: 1 Armor, +1 to Defense (+2 to Defense)
Decent: 2 Armor, +1 to Defense (+2 to Defense)
Good: 3 Armor, +1 to Defense (+2 to Defense)
Fine: 4 Armor, +2 to Defense (+3 to Defense)
Superior: 5 Armor, +2 to Defense (+3 to Defense)
Grand: 6 Armor, +2 to Defense (+3 to Defense)
Mastercraft: 7 Armor, +3 to Defense (+4 to Defense)
Wondrous: 8 Armor, +3 to Defense (+4 to Defense)
Realized: 9 Armor, +3 to Defense (+4 to Defense)

Other Armor Options:

Gambeson
Basic: 1 Armor
Decent: 2 Armor
Good: 4 Armor
Fine: 6 Armor
Superior: 8 Armor, +1 to Defense

Gambesons cost ounces of silver (in the form of textiles) to make equal to one half their quality (so a Superior Gambeson would cost 2 and 1/2 oz). Gambesons above Superior become too thick to be functional and start giving penalties.

Shields
Basic: 1 Use, +0 to Defense
Decent: 1 Use, +1 to Defense
Good: 2 Uses, +1 to Defense
Fine: 2 Uses, +2 to Defense
Superior: 3 Uses, +2 to Defense
Grand: 3 Uses, +3 to Defense
Mastercraft: 4 Uses, +3 to Defense
Wondrous: 4 Uses, +4 to Defense
Realized: 5 Uses, +4 to Defense

Material Effects: Being made of better wood, like linden, gives shields +1 Use, having 6 oz of Iron involved in their construction, like a Shield Rim, also gives +1 Use. These bonuses stack.
General Rule: Shields may spend 1 Use to cancel an offensive Trick. They may only do this if they have uses left, but don't need to be used at all if the wielder chooses not to (you can always not use a shield to block).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoo boy, okay, we've been using up a lot of stuff. I guess Halla's been working with Bog Iron until now? We'll have to repay our use now that we've got some income of our own.

How does using superior base materials influence final products? Does it just raise the baseline?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back