Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Mathilde is going to the Shadowlands, which are about the same distance from the Vortex as Lothern where any wizard could go if they felt so inclined.

In fact Lothern would be a better place to study the Vortex, assuming one could study it from that distance, because there isn't a mountain range in the way.

Did you have specific WEB-MAT actions in mind? The plan draft I'm currently cooking has WEB-MAT and the Forest of Shadows, which sounds like something that could be up your alley, but I haven't quite nailed down the third WEB-MAT action so I'll be happy for suggestions. I'm very specifically looking for WEB-MAT actions that are not good for Eike, because my plan has Eike doing a lot of (imo) great stuff and I don't want to dilute that. Extra credit for WEB-MAT actions that involve Max, who in my current draft is idle.
I'm in the Elfternship lobby, as you know, but if that loses, I'm happy to lose to whatever you cook up. With regard to putting Max to work, though, if you don't want him to just writeslave may I suggest having him help examine the weapons we looted from the Kurgans? He doesn't have the bullshit "insert question receive answer" spells Johann has (unless he's learned them over time the way Johann's Martial has increased over time, which is certainly possible), but he's a really fucking good blacksmith and Patient, which seems extremely useful for analyzing an array of a dozen weapons rather than some one-off magical oddity.

Another alternative is investigating the Nexus at Los Cabos, which might be able to get support that purely mapping Tilea and Estalia didn't last year and could have narrative synergy with a turn in which we are also investigating another Nexus.

Did you have specific WEB-MAT actions in mind? The plan draft I'm currently cooking has WEB-MAT and the Forest of Shadows, which sounds like something that could be up your alley, but I haven't quite nailed down the third WEB-MAT action so I'll be happy for suggestions. I'm very specifically looking for WEB-MAT actions that are not good for Eike, because my plan has Eike doing a lot of (imo) great stuff and I don't want to dilute that. Extra credit for WEB-MAT actions that involve Max, who in my current draft is idle.
Web-Mat specifically nothing pressing. I'd love to make the seviophone or something, but this is just me being inordinately fond of pure research.

The thing that's really been on my mind is the prospect of making a FEMA-model waystone. Something cheap and durable, made for forward placement so it can decontaminate areas by dumping magic into the rivers to be collected by New-Model waystones in more secure areas further downstream. My own real concern with the idea, is the fact that right now it would probably share components with the current new model waystone, and that could add a bottleneck.

"This is the bastion, expensive yet strong, the shield to hold the rear. Now, let us make the weapon."

Mathilde is going to the Shadowlands, which are about the same distance from the Vortex as Lothern where any wizard could go if they felt so inclined.

In fact Lothern would be a better place to study the Vortex, assuming one could study it from that distance, because there isn't a mountain range in the way.
Well yes, but we were talking about the route through which Mathilde would be taken from Lothern to Nagarythe. Going through the Inner Sea would naturally take one closer to the Vortex.

Extra credit for WEB-MAT actions that involve Max, who in my current draft is idle.

I see two options for Max—one, we write two papers. Probably the Lizardman linguistic drift paper and the sevirscope paper. Those are the two most interesting ones to me. Second option is the Kurgan weapons. I've theorised before that there might be something interesting about them, because of how many we have. Magic weapons are supposed to be rare and unique, but the Kurgan had tons of them, and we "only" recovered twelve. That means that either the Kurgan had a genius enchanter who could mass produce magic weapons, or Kurgan enchanting is really simple and anyone with a sliver of talent can make a weapon. Whichever it is, it's bound to be useful knowledge—even if the only thing we learn is "these are the types of weapons the steppe hordes are capable of creating".

Edit: ninja'd by Pickle. I blame the fact that I had to fix a ton of autocorrect mistakes.

Also I had an option three occur to me—the audio sevirscope. He'd be more suited to that job than Egrimm would.

Last edited:
Well yes, but we were talking about the route through which Mathilde would be taken from Lothern to Nagarythe. Going through the Inner Sea would naturally take one closer to the Vortex.
Would we go via the Inner Sea? Given how the Asurs dislike foreigners going in their island, it's just as likely we will go to Nagarythe via the Great Ocean. It would also be faster, because sea travel is faster than land travel at this level of tech. We also wouldn't have to cross the Annulii mountains, which are mountains and full of dangerous monsters.

With regard to putting Max to work, though, if you don't want him to just writeslave may I suggest having him help examine the weapons we looted from the Kurgans? He doesn't have the bullshit "insert question receive answer" spells Johann has (unless he's learned them over time the way Johann's Martial has increased over time, which is certainly possible), but he's a really fucking good blacksmith and Patient, which seems extremely useful for analyzing an array of a dozen weapons rather than some one-off magical oddity.

Another alternative is investigating the Nexus at Los Cabos, which might be able to get support that purely mapping Tilea and Estalia didn't last year and could have narrative synergy with a turn in which we are also investigating another Nexus.
Web-Mat specifically nothing pressing. I'd love to make the seviophone or something, but this is just me being inordinately fond of pure research.
I see two options for Max—one, we write two papers. Probably the Lizardman linguistic drift paper and the sevirscope paper. Those are the two most interesting ones to me. Second option is the Kurgan weapons. I've theorised before that there might be something interesting about them, because of how many we have. Magic weapons are supposed to be rare and unique, but the Kurgan had tons of them, and we "only" recovered twelve. That means that either the Kurgan had a genius enchanter who could mass produce magic weapons, or Kurgan enchanting is really simple and anyone with a sliver of talent can make a weapon. Whichever it is, it's bound to be useful knowledge—even if the only thing we learn is "these are the types of weapons the steppe hordes are capable of creating".

Edit: ninja'd by Pickle. I blame the fact that I had to fix a ton of autocorrect mistakes.

Also I had an option three occur to me—the audio sevirscope. He'd be more suited to that job than Egrimm would.
Thanks for the suggestions!

The Kurgan weapons fail the "Eike won't benefit from this" test, because I'm definitely putting Eike on any action studying enchanted items. The same goes for making the Winds Chime. Papers are only slightly better, because unless we're going for coin papers (lol) those should also have Eike on them - if we write both of the Lizardmen papers I guess we can have Eike only on the linguistic one and not on the polyphenic theory one, but that's still more than I'd like Eike to do. Also I'm trying to beat Elfcation there, I'm probably going to need something a little more exciting than paper writing.

Los Cabos...is less likely to get me death threats than proposing a mapping action, but maybe not by much. And frankly I'm not sure what Max has to offer there beyond moral support. He might be a better fit for the Marienburg nexuses (at least he speaks the local language) but it might be better to involve some of the Eonir on the Marienburg nexus action, which will disqualify it from being a purely WEB-MAT action.

...actually, now that I think about it, do we really need the Eonir on the Marienburg nexus? Cadaeth was the one who told us about how it was repaired, but it didn't seem like she know a ton beyond "Ulthuan did a thing with an Old One monolith". If we didn't have Ulthuan's cooperation maybe we would have wanted what scraps she does have, but we do have Ulthuan and they'll automatically be consulted on relevant actions, which this definitely qualifies as. This actually has great synergy with our desire to reclaim nexuses, as we'll probably want to study the one known example of a nexus that was reclaimed and repaired in living memory.

Specifically not good for Eike... l'd say mapping with Johann, introducing Egrimm to Cython, and... well, if you think writing the Lustrian papers would be Eike-relevant, I'd say to instead have Max help write one of the Nehekhara/Tylos/Strygos coin books. There's enough of them that it's really not worth including her in all of them.

Probably one of the Nehekhara books - we don't have Tylos or Strygos books, whereas we do have Dwarf Nehekharan ones.

...actually, now that I think about it, do we really need the Eonir on the Marienburg nexus? Cadaeth was the one who told us about how it was repaired, but it didn't seem like she know a ton beyond "Ulthuan did a thing with an Old One monolith". If we didn't have Ulthuan's cooperation maybe we would have wanted what scraps she does have, but we do have Ulthuan and they'll automatically be consulted on relevant actions, which this definitely qualifies as. This actually has great synergy with our desire to reclaim nexuses, as we'll probably want to study the one known example of a nexus that was reclaimed and repaired in living memory.
Cadaeth is a good diplomat so I'd say she'd actually be a pretty good option to convince Marienburg to let us take a look at the nexus within the city - Rijker's Isle.

Last edited:
I don't know about anybody else, but I would prefer to vote for a plan that contains one action towards learning a new language. If an elfcation plan cannot fit that action, then this would be an argument for a Web-Mat plan for example

I don't know about anybody else, but I would prefer to vote for a plan that contains one action towards learning a new language. If an elfcation plan cannot fit that action, then this would be an argument for a Web-Mat plan for example
It's possible to do Nehekharan or Kislevarin learning as a WEBMAT action. The problems are that:
* it commits us to taking them to explore the relevant network within a turn or two
* Mathilde's employees learn languages slower than she does, so whoever we pick will only at best pick up either written or spoken, but not both
* Mathilde has to pay for the employee to attend the class in addition to paying for herself

So a turn plan that goes
[ ] WEBMAT - Eonir diplomacy with Johann
[ ] WEBMAT -Written Nehekharan with Egrimm
[ ] WEBMAT -Take all the boys to explore the Mordheim Nexus with us
[ ] Waystone deployment in Laurelorn
[ ] [ ] [ ] Elfcation
is workable. Gets two personal development actions, two waystone-relevant actions, two building-ties actions with the Eonir, and gets the Elfcation out of the way without borrowing APs from the following turn, and keeps all the boys busy so that they don't start getting antsy.

Last edited:
It's possible to do Nehekharan or Kislevarin learning as a WEBMAT action. The problems are that:
* it commits us to taking them to explore the relevant network within a turn or two
* Mathilde's employees learn languages slower than she does, so whoever we pick will only at best pick up either written or spoken, but not both
* Mathilde has to pay for the employee to attend the class in addition to paying for herself

So a turn plan that goes
[ ] WEBMAT - Eonir diplomacy with Johann
[ ] WEBMAT -Written Nehekharan with Egrimm
[ ] WEBMAT -Take all the boys to explore the Mordheim Nexus with us
[ ] Waystone deployment in Laurelorn
[ ] [ ] [ ] Elfcation
is workable. Gets two personal development actions, two waystone-relevant actions, two building-ties actions with the Eonir, and gets the Elfcation out of the way without borrowing APs from the following turn, and keeps all the boys busy so that they don't start getting antsy.
Does Mordheim count for Nehekharan? I doubt so.
IIRC it'd force us to do:
[ ] Waystone: Other Networks - Nehekhara.

I do think it would be good to check on the Nehekharan network sooner rather than later, especially if we want to try making diplomatic contact with some of the tomb kings. It's a great in character reason to randomly go talk to them, and it also gives us a lot more authority in that conversation than we would otherwise have. Sure, meeting them as a lady magister of the empire is good, but meeting them as the representative of a massive multinational research project working to get rid of dhar is better.

I'm not going to say that we could undo Nagash's curse on their land, but slowly making parts more inhabitable for humans and other living beings seems like the sort of thing the more sane and stable tomb kings would really like. Especially with the confirmation that they do have some human population.

I do think it would be good to check on the Nehekharan network sooner rather than later, especially if we want to try making diplomatic contact with some of the tomb kings. It's a great in character reason to randomly go talk to them, and it also gives us a lot more authority in that conversation than we would otherwise have. Sure, meeting them as a lady magister of the empire is good, but meeting them as the representative of a massive multinational research project working to get rid of dhar is better.

I'm not going to say that we could undo Nagash's curse on their land, but slowly making parts more inhabitable for humans and other living beings seems like the sort of thing the more sane and stable tomb kings would really like. Especially with the confirmation that they do have some human population.

I feel I must point out again, the average Tomb King is:
A) A ancient slaving human-sacrificing tyrant used to absolute obedience read 'You dare speak to me WORM, off with her head'
and
B) A partially restored husk of a being animated by one half of a spell meant to make them the slaves of Nagash Read 'What is this Empire? What Year is it?'

Don't get me wrong I would love to be able to talk to a Liche Priest about magic but their bosses are not all there and they were all there they tended to be rather evil. I do not think they would care what a Waystone Project is either way.

I feel I must point out again, the average Tomb King is:
A) A ancient slaving human-sacrificing tyrant used to absolute obedience read 'You dare speak to me WORM, off with her head'
and
B) A partially restored husk of a being animated by one half of a spell meant to make them the slaves of Nagash Read 'What is this Empire? What Year is it?'

Don't get me wrong I would love to be able to talk to a Liche Priest about magic but their bosses are not all there and they were all there they tended to be rather evil. I do not think they would care what a Waystone Project is either way.
There's that story of a Tomb King that gave a cure to save an explorer's wife, so they're not all assholes. Concerning the the Waystone Project, those that aren't mad can see as well as anyone that Choas is a problem for everyone, even if they're further from the poles than the Empire. Furthermore, giving them a chance to lessen Nagash's devastation of their land could convince some of them to listen to us.

There's that story of a Tomb King that gave a cure to save an explorer's wife, so they're not all assholes. Concerning the the Waystone Project, those that aren't mad can see as well as anyone that Choas is a problem for everyone, even if they're further from the poles than the Empire. Furthermore, giving them a chance to lessen Nagash's devastation of their land could convince some of them to listen to us.

I did say the average Tomb King, there exist exceptions on both ends, from the ones who are nice to people looking to save their lost love to Senior Dwarf Shaver we just talked about.

I did say the average Tomb King, there exist exceptions on both ends, from the ones who are nice to people looking to save their lost love to Senior Dwarf Shaver we just talked about.
In that case we're in agreement. I do think it worth trying to find a reasonable one. Not just because I love Egypt an the TK, but also because it would gave us the opportunity to learn more about magic.

If they are that bad, is there information available to make a more coherent plan for achieving friendly contact- in a reasonable (single-action) timeframe- than a sequence which will see us fleeing from the murderous tireless animated forces of one averagely-evil Tomb King to the next averagely-evil Tomb King, hoping to stumble on the one somewhere in the vast Dhar-soaked desert who is more reasonable?

An EIC Interlude, Part Two New
An EIC Interlude, Part Two

"Who's next on our list?"

"You didn't mark up your own map when you had the documents?"

"...no fair! You only told me 'a major' and 'a hostler'! I don't even know which documents you got them from!"

"Well, I did tell your master that I'd make sure you learned a few lessons, and I sure bet you've got things you'd do differently now, don'cha?"

Eike did not dignify that with a response. A few minutes later that hochlander grunted.

"The hostler. Runs, but does not own, a stables at one of the bigger crossroads up ahead, maybe ten miles."

"...and we're on the little main circuit headed west... Oh! I know where we are! You are thinking of Mister Sabras!"

Eike looked over at him with big eyes.

"There was something about that stables that made the drivers laugh and only tell stories when I couldn't hear, I got scolded once for asking about him when I listened too closely. I've always wondered what it was about!"

The hochlander hesitated. He certainly felt as if he were stepping into a trap. He couldn't just ask her about it if it was what it sounded like. And he really didn't want to debrief her after sending her to infiltrate either...

Maybe he should do the in person investigating this time.

---------------------------------------------------

Eike spent her time at the drinking house kitty corner to the stables at the crossroads. There was actually a third building there as well- a quiet bunkhouse away from the drinking- but she found good company with cold (small) beers. It was late afternoon, before any of the travelers that would stay the night arrived, and so a group of bored women (from not very much older than her to much older than her) swept her up in their conversation, killing time until they worked. It was a very enlightening few hours for Eike, confirming a few things and surprising her with a lot more. It was also the first time she got to share some of Shaylla's more particular methods against diseases, and she felt a bit proud of that.

"So they arrange to pass through, but they don't...?"

"Don't sign in at the inn because they aren't staying, they just 'change horses' at the stables. Yep, you got it!"

It was about then that the hochlander opened the door and meet her eyes, jerking his head to tell her they were done. She could see he was already blushing, and it got worse when he saw who she was talking to. So she said her goodbyes and accepted well-wishes, then trotted up to him grinning brightly. Innocently.

"Not our guy?"

---------------------------------------------------

"...and so apparently it works out really well for the women, actually, because the hostler wants to be able to claim ignorance to the owners so he just lets the extra rooms in the old hayloft for a few silver an hour no questions asked, and that means they get to set their own rates and be choosey about their clients! So it's apparently a lot better than some of the towns, I mean they didn't tell me very much- but from how much they said they paid and how often he should have a second mansion hidden somewhere around here, should we go looking just in case?"

"...please stop. I'll ask you in the future, I promise..."

"Are you going to say the words?"

The hochlander sighed. Eike smirked. Let it never be said she wasn't petty sometimes.

"There are things I would do differently knowing the things I know now."

----------------------------------------------------------

"So..... What can you tell me about our third potential?"

"You were the one who had the documents."

"...you suck."

The hochlander chuckled.

"The Baronette Swallowvale formerly held the first major toll point after the crossroads as it bends back towards the river. He currently holds a small keep on a knoll overlooking the water, and title over a nearby, and has been seen little in public since his reduction in circumstances. The village has a warf where river craft frequently overnight.

"His known haunts include the Golden Drake, a local gambling establishment of some repute, Three Blue Grapes, a similar establishment, and the local docks where he seems to speculate on cargos in the hope of regaining his fortune. Lack of coin has seen his debts called in twice at the Golden Drake, which he met via an auction of goods levied from his village and gleaned from his speculation."

"You suck So Much."

"And now that you know, would you have done anything differently?"

"I would have made up some stupid things about him and let you be insufferably smug as you spilled it all correcting me?"

"Would it have worked?"

"...yes?"

"Well then. You now have another tool, because the 'stupid thing' you would have made up could be used to misdirect me in certain useful ways."

"...you suck SO MUCH."

----------------------------------------------------------

The two of them made good time, and arrived at the bustling not-quite-town mid evening. A quick survey gave them three gambling houses, two inns, four taverns, and eight ships tied up at the docks.

First things being first, they acquired lodging at the lesser of the two inns, and spent dinner talking and laughing and building the image of a father-daughter pair in from the countryside, him a hunter and she learning her letters to be a scribe.

The conversation on the paper they passed between them was, however, vastly different than a listener might have imagined.

-I want to delay going after the Baronette for a day, there are too many other moving pieces here. Are the gambling houses in on it? How do the money and goods move, exactly?-

-Can I investigate the gambling houses? I have a few ideas.-

-I would prefer tracking. Can you do this safely, without backup? I'll need to be away from the town and your master would murder me if I wasn't here when something happens.-

There was a long pause in both the conversation and the sritching quills as 'the daughter' hesitated, then started 'puzzling it out'.

-I think I can. I just want to see their records on how the auction for the levied goods was set up, not get near their money or records of money. There's only so much space in highly secured places, so they probably have those in a place I can get into and out of unnoticed.-

"Good work! It looks like you got it!"

"Awww, thanks pops!"

-Fine. We scout tonight together. Plan on being solo for infiltration. Your secondary objectives are to see where the goods were levied from and to identify the real owners of the Golden Drake-

-Real?-

-They pay their taxes, but under the name of a dead man. Sometimes it's a good faith failure to update all the records. Sometimes it's not. No one usually makes a fuss as long as they pay.-

-So you think it really might be our guy this time?-

-Only if we can find proof.-

The conversation drifted, and the lesson came to an end. The two bid the innkeeper good night, and trooped off to their room. A quick turn of the bolt, change of clothes, and drop out of a second story window, and a strutting merchant followed by a scurrying young scribe headed out for a night on the town.

This began, naturally enough, with gambling.

The hochlander was expansive, large gestures and a booming laugh. The scribe was nearer a boy than a man, hurrying in his master's shadow, settling tabs and buying chits. Between the two of them, every inch of the inside was marked, entrances and exits and staff patterns noted, and a minor sum was lost at the tables.

"Ah! Enough! Time for the proper drinking!" The merchant boomed, and exited grandly.

"Ah, excuse me, I thought I heard the stables were around back? Yes? Thank you." The scribe murmured to a server, and slipped out the door.

--------------------------------------------------

Eike woke to the sunrise, and a note on her bedside table.

-Gone till sundown. Meet me at point 7, or 12 if compromised. Don't mess up.-

She sighed. No backup, no audience, no plan. Well, it was time to fix that last one at least.

She was betting on three things:

First, that the counting house portion of the casino would open a few hours before the front doors, to get everything in order.

Second, that they were too cheap to pay for full security before the front doors opened.

Third, that she getting to the archives without getting seen would allow her time inside.

So she just needed to fill in the gaps. Where she could enter, when the best time was, who was going to be there, little things best done afoot.

Last edited:
If they are that bad, is there information available to make a more coherent plan for achieving friendly contact- in a reasonable (single-action) timeframe- than a sequence which will see us fleeing from the murderous tireless animated forces of one averagely-evil Tomb King to the next averagely-evil Tomb King, hoping to stumble on the one somewhere in the vast Dhar-soaked desert who is more reasonable?
Poke the reasonable ones, kowtow appropriately to them as a province that is still loyal but has been severed from contact due to the world sucking, and/or just use the Deceiver to point them at someone we don't like in the event of everything breaking down.

Send Max looking for accounts of sane Tomb Kings? That take a WEB-MAT action though in addition to the main one, not sure if that is a deal breaker for you.

I doubt it would be as simple as this but, I wonder if you could deal with the river Mortis without dealing with the warpstone source? If you had enough waystones concentrated densely enough close-ish to the source before it passes through Nehekhara, could they pump out enough Dharr to make a difference even with the contamination ongoing?

Back