Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
[X] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

Anyway.

It looks like--as has been the case so far--the Sun Faction have doubled down again. Pulling a Jin literally to the opposite side of the Empire into an allegedly hostile province and flooding the rest with Western Territory count scions is... Uh.

If Sun Shao had lean so hard on an affiliated ducal house he would be an emperor already; I sincerely doubt he can influence the Jin to that extent and furthermore he has no reason to do so.

Shenhua showing to the tournament pregnant was a show of strength revealing that even if Renxiang fucks up Shenhua can still easily replace her. There is no benefit to fucking with Shenhua's heir from Sun Shao point of view because it will waste resources while not actually harming Shenhua all that much (and Shenhua showed that her counters were far more damaging).

Sun Liling can double down on her fight because it's a schoolyard squabble, but Sun Shao was already burned that way once and he would be wary of repeating the same mistake again.

If Sun Shao had lean so hard on an affiliated ducal house he would be an emperor already; I sincerely doubt he can influence the Jin to that extent and furthermore he has no reason to do so.

Shenhua showing to the tournament pregnant was a show of strength revealing that even if Renxiang fucks up Shenhua can still easily replace her. There is no benefit to fucking with Shenhua's heir from Sun Shao point of view because it will waste resources while not actually harming Shenhua all that much (and Shenhua showed that her counters were far more damaging).

Sun Liling can double down on her fight because it's a schoolyard squabble, but Sun Shao was already burned that way once and he would be wary of repeating the same mistake again.
Flexibility isnt something Whites are good at, unfortunately

Their Ways are pretty firmly set, by that point

"My intelligence is somewhat limited, given the division between first years and the others, but it appears Gan Guangli has organized a successful faction from the remains of your liege's project. There is a lesser Jin scion among my peers, as well as several…" the younger girl faught down a sneer. "Nobles from the western territories. The information I have so far is here."
I think it should be pointed out here that she did not say that the Jin was on the side of the Sun. She was just noting who the significant first year cultivators (in her eyes) were.

While it is true that the Jin could fall on the Sun's side, as far as we know their main interest is in maintaining the lucrative trade routes that go through their ports that the Xuan are looking at moving away from. They could be looking at trying to establish better relations with the Bai/Cai/Xuan so that they don't get shut out by the Xuan moving their trade over to Bai ports.

My feeling is that they weren't really paying attention last year, but then the Bai/Cai/Xuan stuff happened and they went "shit, we need to be there".

Last edited:
That night wouldn't be the last time Ling Qi tarried longer at home, she promised herself, but for the moment it would have to be. She would have to change some of her plans and half formed schedules but… she believed that she could accomplish her goals and spend more time at tasks aside from cultivation. Her liege certainly managed, even if she was starting to strain under the workload.

...That said, Ling Qi had never actually asked just what all that paperwork she so often saw Renxiang going through was for or just what it was that took up so much of her time. When she had realized that, on her way back up the mountain, Ling Qi had felt briefly uncomfortable. Cai Renxiang had never offered to share the information… but Ling Qi had never really asked either. When she thought about it, their relationship was still pretty distant, wasn't it?
Ling Qi is amazingly incurious when it comes to things outside her tunnel vision isn't she?

Plus, if she recalled correctly, Cai Renxiang was going to be busy herself for some time… She had taken up a major sect duty, assisting the Core Disciple that had made Ling Qi's gown with a project.
Embroidery?
I kind of wonder just how good she is at it, except Shenhua wouldn't accept less than perfect anyway.

Ling Qi was still contemplating that problem by the time afternoon had rolled around and the time for her first meeting with Xiao Fen had arrived. In her letter confirming the tutopring, she had picked out a mostly barren spot a good distance from the town. It was the site of a clearcutting, the Sect was overseeing an expansion of the fields around the settlement, it looked like. Still for the moment it remained empty, and was thus good for her purposes.

Ling Qi sat atop a small, stony hillock as she waited for her 'junior sister' to arrive, idly playing a contemplative tune on her flute as her thoughts wandered.
[Anticipation]
The Zhengui Surprise never gets old.
Also Zhengui is going to outstealth basically anything a Mid Yellow could do hehehe.
Sixiang hummed along in her head, and Hanyi was back at her sect lodgings soaking up argent qi at the Ling Qi's vent… she had been a little frustrated, apparently her transformation and breakthrough had left her unable to use some of her channels properly and it hadn't cleared up yet.
Oh, that explains a bit of how Hanyi is a bunch weaker than usual. She's in the same situation as Sixiang was, incomplete breakthrough?
Ling Qi perked up a bit as she felt Xiao Fen enter the range of her senses. The younger girl's aura had not changed much at all since their last meeting three months ago, though she had advanced well into the mid stage of the second realm in both forms of cultivation. It was only a few moments later that she caught sight of Xiao Fen, picking her way through the rolling stump strewn landscape at a dignified pace.

She had switched out the basic argent uniform for a new gown, black in color and simple in cut. The second layer of the gown shimmered silver however, as did the trailing sash around her waist and the pins and ties in her hair. Like the threads of sharpened metal woven into her braids, Ling Qi could tell that the sash was a weapon too, she could see the faint gleam of needlepoints on its trailing hem.

It seemed impractical, but then again, Ling Qi hit people with concentrated artistic expression, so who was she to judge.
[Parses the image in mind]
...is that a combat maid uniform?
"Hello junior sister!" she called cheerfully, lowering her flute and raising a hand to wave. Senior Brother Ruan was right, being able to say that was fun. "Come on up and have a seat."
Ling Qi is going to spend this whole session channeling her mentors huh?

She watched as Bai Xiao Fen peered up at her from the bottom of the slope with narrowed eyes, and then glanced around, seemingly unsettled by something. Ling Qi hid the little grin that tried to surface as she stared down at the other girl.

Xiao Fen gave their surroundings one last distrustful glance and then began to ascend the hill. "Greetings, Senior Sister Ling," she replied with stiff formality. "Shall I assume this… site is a gift?"

"Something like that," Ling Qi replied, keeping her expression straight.
So she can sense the ambient qi being too high in Wood and Fire and put it down to a cultivation site?
"Mildly stifling, this place is both too dry and too cold, and my simpering peers are an irritant," Xiao Fen replied, reaching the top of the hill, glancing around briefly before finding a flat spot to kneel, like a retainer at attention. Ling Qi raised an eyebrow, glancing down at her own informal seating on a raised boulder. Well, whatever made the girl comfortable.

There was also that reply. "Are you alright Junior Sister? I don't really mind, but that is a little rude isn't it?"

"Bai Meizhen has asked that I speak plainly in private with her, and that I should treat you with the same respect I do her," Xiao Fen seemed to twitch uncomfortably at the admission.

This girl was very literal, Ling Qi thought, bringing a pulse of amusement from Sixiang.
Its a good habit to get into with close subordinates.
Still...she's a bit of a bludgeon isn't she?
"You know, it might not be my business but… what exactly is the relationship between you two?" Ling Qi found herself asking

"I am here to serve her, members of the Xiao branch are raised to devote themselves to a member of the main Bai house. It has been my honor to be selected so early for that duty," Xiao Fen replied proudly, though Ling Qi could feel the a seething ember of discontent at the core of her words. That was the real root of her problem with the Sect Ling Qi suspected.
Hmm, that'd PROBABLY lead to some really weird Domain structures, but if you don't mind the human costs I suppose it would be a good way to build a Support Domain in the Bai snakepit.
Ling Qi had done a little studying before this, so she had known the answer. Of course the history she had read had couched the relationship in terms of a story about the eldest and youngest of the eight daughters the Bai's founder, Yao the fisher. Basically when the eight daughters of Bai had fallen to feuding and civil war, only the youngest sister had stuck with the eldest and supported her rightful claim to clan headship from the very start, and they had decided that their descendants should always be side by side.
And THAT explains the trust. Bais' memory for grudges no doubt extends to their own blood kin. Which is why the giant snakepit.

And in a snakepit the one who chose NOT to fight would get appropriate rewards to keep it that way.
Being the closest confidant of a potential future Clan Head is a lot of soft power.
"It might not be my place to say but… if you really want to serve Meizhen well… duty won't be enough I think. There's more to family than that."

Xiao Fen gave her a singularly unimpressed look. "You are right, it is not your place, even if my cousin thinks so highly of you, what can you know…"

"I know Meizhen is a lonely person, and she closes others out easily," Ling Qi replied bluntly, her aura stirring as she spoke. "I know that her mother is gone, and for whatever reason she doesn't interact much with her father. When our time in the Sect ends, she's going to need someone to support her, and I'm not talking about cultivation or combat."

Xiao Fen stared at her for several long seconds, and Ling QI could practically see the twin motivations of pride in her clan and obeying Meizhen's words warring in her head. "I will take your advice into account Senior Sister," she finally said, her voice dull.

"I'm not saying that your clan is wrong or mistaken, or even that your performing your role badly, I don't even know you," Ling Qi replied, hoping that she wasn't speaking in vain. "Just… think about why she asked you to speak plainly to her, you know? Meizhen needs more friends more than she needs a servant."

Xiao Fen regarded her silently again, some of the indignation slipping away. "I understand your intentions, Senior Sister," she replied, briefly dipping her head.
Hopefully she can digest that before she hits the Green threshold. It'd be interesting going forward.

And you know, something interesting about the Sect formula of putting a lot of youths gaining Insights rapidly in close contact with each other is...that insight can be contagious and reflect off each other.

Someone cultivating at home with only their elders to advise and guide them would be more molded into a known shape. The Sects put the ideas to mix where they normally wouldn't, you wouldn't have such immense variety interacting without the regimented song and dance of formal events.
Xiao Fen paused, considering the question "Liu Xin is the son of mortal cobbler from the Lower Rootways of Xiangmen, before his talent was discovered. He is appropriately ruthless in combat, and neither cried when struck in the groin or other pain centers, nor hesitated to attempt similar effective techniques on me," here the younger girl paused again. "...I find his wit and capacity for cutting retorts in the face of unearned pride amusing. He enjoys a light White Branch Tea."
Putting aside the amusing bits I think they really ARE friends of sorts.
-A Bai called him appropriately ruthless. Kind of a scary thought that.
-No hesitation in retaliating equally and in kind to a Bai Scion in sparring.
-[Interprets] I think he likes poking fun at proud nobles without the skill to back it up? Or at least being very sarcastic.
-She is aware of his interests in beverages. That says a bit more interest in him than merely a promising future minion.
"My intelligence is somewhat limited, given the division between first years and the others, but it appears Gan Guangli has organized a successful faction from the remains of your liege's project. There is a lesser Jin scion among my peers, as well as several…" the younger girl faught down a sneer. "Nobles from the western territories. The information I have so far is here."
The Sun are doubling down. No surprise with Liling's warning.
They lost face and now they must make it back.

Xiao Fen is in for interesting times because every single one of them will be aiming to take her down a peg.
Ling Qi accepted the tightly rolled scroll that the other girl offered, and upon drawing it into her ring, drew a storage ring from between the layers of her gown. "Here, Lady Cai has put together dossiers on all the first year disciples from Emerald Seas, and the plans to convince them to cooperate or stay on the sidelines. There are also a tidy supply of cultivation resources in here, for Gan Guangli himself as well as any lower realms he wants to dole them out too. You can tell him that she'll have some talismans ready for next month too."
Green cultivation resources aren't exactly highly available out there so thats a relief. Bet the Sun are running their own feeds there.

Also Shenhua continues to be playing games beyond our perception. Renxiang wouldn't HAVE that intel, and unless she had her own personal intel network before she entered the Sect, this much SHOULD come from her status as Province Heir.
i.e. Shenhua let it happen. Possibly in response to the Sun stepping up their efforts?

Xiao Fen nodded once sharply, accepting the ring. "I see, and our… tutoring?"

"We can get started now," Ling Qi said lightly before slapping the stone she was sitting on. "Up you go little brother, nap time is over."

Ling Qi very carefully did not grin or otherwise react to the startled quickly choked off shriek of surprise that rose from Xiao Fen's lips as the entire hillock heaved upward, dust and stone falling away to reveal her little brother, and Zhen slithered free of their shell to loom over the both of them. "Big Sister is cruel, making us wait so long, then accusing us of napping. I had to put up with foolish Gui's humming for an hour."

"I'm only teasing. Thanks for playing along little brother," Ling Qi said lightly, resting her hand on Zhen's burning hot scales. She then glanced over at Xiao Fen, who was doing her best to look wholly unruffled. "Ah right, Xiao Fen, this is Zhengui, he's not a cultivation site, but he will be taking us to one." She had cleared it with Gu Xiulan already, but the siite that Gu Yanmei had shared with her last year was their destination.
We're teaching Zhengui to do the hill trick as a prank to scare the shit out of people. This is great.
Thats a nice Fire site for Zhengui too!

Xiao Fen shot her a look of frustrated irritation. "This Xiao Fen greets the honorable… Zhengui," it looked like saying the name physically hurt her.
His name is a gift that keeps on giving.
Ling Qi thought that she really need to lighten up. "Senior Sister, what are your plans?"

"Well, I thought I would follow Elder Jiao's example," Ling QI mused as they began to move. They would get running soon, but for now there was no point in returning Zhengui. "So we'll start with some hide and seek in the caves at the site, and then I'll assign you some tasks. It might not be my best skill anymore, but I am pretty good at stealth still."

Yes, inflicting Elder Jiao's lessons on someone else, insofar as she could, would certainly be appropriate tutoring, after all, she was passing on the wisdom of a Sect Elder!
What I'm getting from this is that Ling Qi has absolutely no idea how to teach a student and is copying her past tutors.

So basically like most teachers :p

Not quite. Its not logical, but Sun Shao's Way and personality both demands that he support his darling granddaughter, and the way she lost last year to everyone who mattered.

That said...
I think it should be pointed out here that she did not say that the Jin was on the side of the Sun. She was just noting who the significant first year cultivators (in her eyes) were.

While it is true that the Jin could fall on the Sun's side, as far as we know their main interest is in maintaining the lucrative trade routes that go through their ports that the Xuan are looking at moving away from. They could be looking at trying to establish better relations with the Bai/Cai/Xuan so that they don't get shut out by the Xuan moving their trade over to Bai ports.

My feeling is that they weren't really paying attention last year, but then the Bai/Cai/Xuan stuff happened and they went "shit, we need to be there".

Mm, yeah that makes sense on the Jin's part. The whole mess with the tournament last year kind of showed that they didn't realize the Sect has become a political battlefield, and thus missed their chance to play. They want in.

The Sun's play is in flooding the field with people from the various Sun servitor clans. THAT is their play. The big shots moved up, so now its a contest between the Bai Servant, the Cai Servant, the Han(themselves Lu servants?) and the infusion of fresh Sun Servants.

They've proven themselves as fighters. But how's their leadership?

Meanwhile, Cai Shenhua continues to keikaku everything.
Why?
Because everyone's playing on her field. Her province. Whatever happens, the next year after this is going to be packed with even more nobles sending kids to ensure they have a voice on the political junior leagues.
She wins by default. By coming here to be important at each other, they made her important. She needs to expend no additional effort to participate, most of the Sect's students are going to be Emerald Seas because thats where the Sect is. And most Emerald Seas students aren't stupid enough to outright cross their Duke.

And THAT means she gets connections. All these kids will grow up to be important persons back home. They'd have friends and vassals from Emerald Seas.

[X] Shen Hu: The taciturn boy has approached you for once. He has found the abandoned lair of an underworld dragon, but is not confident that he can face the scavengers that fill it unopposed.

Not quite. Its not logical, but Sun Shao's Way and personality both demands that he support his darling granddaughter, and the way she lost last year to everyone who mattered.

That said...

Mm, yeah that makes sense on the Jin's part. The whole mess with the tournament last year kind of showed that they didn't realize the Sect has become a political battlefield, and thus missed their chance to play. They want in.

The Sun's play is in flooding the field with people from the various Sun servitor clans. THAT is their play. The big shots moved up, so now its a contest between the Bai Servant, the Cai Servant, the Han(themselves Lu servants?) and the infusion of fresh Sun Servants.

They've proven themselves as fighters. But how's their leadership?

Meanwhile, Cai Shenhua continues to keikaku everything.
Why?
Because everyone's playing on her field. Her province. Whatever happens, the next year after this is going to be packed with even more nobles sending kids to ensure they have a voice on the political junior leagues.
She wins by default. By coming here to be important at each other, they made her important. She needs to expend no additional effort to participate, most of the Sect's students are going to be Emerald Seas because thats where the Sect is. And most Emerald Seas students aren't stupid enough to outright cross their Duke.

And THAT means she gets connections. All these kids will grow up to be important persons back home. They'd have friends and vassals from Emerald Seas.

Sun Shao literally doesn't have the ability to order the Jin around, it's preposterous to suggest it; he doesn't have the ability to command other ducal houses.

@Erebeal point about the Jin sending a scion to the sect to keep abreast of what happens makes sense, but Sun Shao wouldn't interfere directly with the sect again. Not when he got schooled by Shenhua so hard the last time. Sure, he would back Liling and she can continue to clash with Renxinag, but there is no reason for him to make the same mistake again, he isn't an idiot.

From what we saw if Sun Shao we know that he is dedicated to his family, but that he also saw the sect as a training ground and ultimately a passing affair. He won't mess with Renxiang directly when Shenhua pointedly shown that she can easily relplace Renxiang and would answer every slight twofold.

Sun Shao literally doesn't have the ability to order the Jin around, it's preposterous to suggest it; he doesn't have the ability to command other ducal houses.

@Erebeal point about the Jin sending a scion to the sect to keep abreast of what happens makes sense, but Sun Shao wouldn't interfere directly with the sect again. Not when he got schooled by Shenhua so hard the last time. Sure, he would back Liling and she can continue to clash with Renxinag, but there is no reason for him to make the same mistake again, he isn't an idiot.

From what we saw if Sun Shao we know that he is dedicated to his family, but that he also saw the sect as a training ground and ultimately a passing affair. He won't mess with Renxiang directly when Shenhua pointedly shown that she can easily relplace Renxiang and would answer every slight twofold.

Uh dude...read the whole post.

Sun Shao DID double down...with a whole bunch of his vassals. Thats a lot of double down

Yeah. And if you think about it, them allying with the Sun would be problematic for them since it would be giving the Bai reasons to go out of their way to screw them over. It could actively help the Xuan get better trade deals from the Bai.

There are of course going to be a whole lot of other politics going on that we aren't aware of, but the Jin helping the Sun would not be my first guess.

Uh dude...read the whole post.

Sun Shao DID double down...with a whole bunch of his vassals. Thats a lot of double down

Sun Shao doubled down on helping Liling, not on hindering Renxiang. He can't afford to take another direct action against Renxiang since it would just invite reprisal from Shenhua.

My point was that while Sun is currently aligned against the Cai, Sun Shao interest in the sect itself is limited to helping Liling (and even then not to the same extent that happened in the tournament). He can't afford being distracted by Shenhua's heir, not when Shenhua herself is his opponent (and when Shenhua made clear that Renxiang is easily replaceable).

I forget, what does our turtles name mean again?

[X] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

That is not Muay Thai. Not in the slightest. It's a crude distorted imagining of what Hollywood thinks Muay Thai is. It's wildly inaccurate, crude and, to me, frankly distasteful.

This is what authentic Muay Thai looks like:

Or perhaps this, which is a beautiful yet brutal display of Muay Khao, a close ranged style focusing on knees and elbows:

For something more recent, perhaps this, featuring Saenchai playing with his food. You may need to skip a bit into the video to get to the start of the fight:

Miss me with that Hollywood bullshit. This is proper Muay Thai.

I thought the fact that it was a video of Jean Claude Van Damme dancing badly would make it obviously a joke.

I thought the fact that it was a video of Jean Claude Van Damme dancing badly would make it obviously a joke.

Satire is dead.

Seriously though, I've met far too many people with movie-distorted ideas of what martial arts actually look like. Even if you meant it as a joke, there's definitely a possibility that other people did not, so I took it upon myself to provide clarification on a topic that I'm actually pretty knowledgeable about.

Last edited:
Can someone explain how did we get Woodwing(A) skill? It's a specialised form of basic skill Music(C) afaik. But I thought that to get an (A) skill we have to get specialised (B) skill first, and the (A) skill would be a specialised form of the (B) skill. Was I wrong?

Can someone explain how did we get Woodwing(A) skill? It's a specialised form of basic skill Music(C) afaik. But I thought that to get an (A) skill we have to get specialised (B) skill first, and the (A) skill would be a specialised form of the (B) skill. Was I wrong?
We got Woodwind skill when we get Speciality II woodwind during Zeqing's trial week 30 of the first thread. Then on our breakthrough Woodwind got uncapped and got +1, and we then got another +1 before the tournament.

Back