Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Muay thai is a pretty hard-style art. It's a lot of knees and elbows, with some kicks, punches, and grappling thrown in for fun and texture. For nerve-strikes and such, I think you'd usually want a more soft-style. Not to say muay thai doesn't have some, I've only learned some of the more basic level stuff myself, but an art is built on its foundations.

For pressure points, you'd probably be looking for something like hapkido (Korean), taichichwan, or certain other forms of Chinese martial arts. Besides, muay thai is far too... blunt-seeming of a fighting style for me to picture it fitting the Bai branches. Soft-styles are generally more windy/flowy styles, while hard-styles are more direct.
Yeah probably mixing it up with somethng else

No wait!

[x] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

:D

The events run on Shrodinger's timeline, but not infinitely so. If we put of Xuan Shi's event for long enough, it won't show up any more - though it is entirely unclear how long "long enough" is. Point is, if it was the first or second time showing up, putting it off would almost certainly be safe, but past that things grow less certain.

Counter point. Xuan Shi (and several others) actions have consistently been pushed off for 'later' until they dropped from the available options. It's why Ling Qi stopped interacting with him initially.

I was only explaining how it works, I wasn't saying to push it for later

Smh

@yrsillar I loved this arc and how it showed our insights at work. AM insight is about judging people over how truthfull they are and our advanced insight is about taking in account the other part of our relationships.

Both combined led us to apply AM insight to ourselves and thus revealing our other members of our familly.

Edit: our advanced insight was also visible in us thinking about Cai now that I re read the update.

[x] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

Last edited:
[X] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

I was going to suggest Silat for the basis of Xiao Fen martial style but I think it would be considered as a hard martial style, although the climate where silat originated might fit XIao Fen's preferred climate.

[X] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

You know, perhaps we can outsource training Zhengui to Xuan Shi?

He should be good for raising up lik bro's base stats and skills, which should help all around.

mmmm...maybe. It's not a bad idea, though I think that requires higher level of bond.
We are just going exploring with him.

Trading in favors like these is multually beneficial and the exploration and shenanigans are good to read, and also profitable in and of themselves.

Gotta start building that SL some way or another. "Lil Bro's Personal Trainer" might as well be it.

Ling Qi also digs formations a fair bit.

I mean she wasn't being especially cruel on purpose. The Bai Xiao fighting style is just one of those really mean ones that's all about targeting nerve clusters, joints and various soft and squishy bits. I generally envision it as being kinda muay thai-ish.

...though I might be mixing that up with some other style, not an expert on martial arts here

Muay thai is a pretty hard-style art. It's a lot of knees and elbows, with some kicks, punches, and grappling thrown in for fun and texture. For nerve-strikes and such, I think you'd usually want a more soft-style. Not to say muay thai doesn't have some, I've only learned some of the more basic level stuff myself, but an art is built on its foundations.

For pressure points, you'd probably be looking for something like hapkido (Korean), taichichwan, or certain other forms of Chinese martial arts. Besides, muay thai is far too... blunt-seeming of a fighting style for me to picture it fitting the Bai branches. Soft-styles are generally more windy/flowy styles, while hard-styles are more direct.

Sounds to me like a Muay Thai based Jyuken where instead of tapping the target to inject crippling qi, you kick them in the balls AND inflict crippling qi with that

For reference, these are some authentic videos of what Muay Thai looks like:

It might not be my best skill anymore, but I am pretty good at stealth still."
makes me die inside
I mean she wasn't being especially cruel on purpose. The Bai Xiao fighting style is just one of those really mean ones that's all about targeting nerve clusters, joints and various soft and squishy bits. I generally envision it as being kinda muay thai-ish.
...though I might be mixing that up with some other style, not an expert on martial arts here
tons of martial arts do that, especially the authentic ones. hard/soft isn't always going to tell you which style is going for the brutal ultraviolence, either. karate, at least as I know it, is as hard as hard gets but originally incorporated tons of eye stabs and joint manipulation

[X] Shen Hu: The taciturn boy has approached you for once. He has found the abandoned lair of an underworld dragon, but is not confident that he can face the scavengers that fill it unopposed.

[X] Shen Hu: The taciturn boy has approached you for once. He has found the abandoned lair of an underworld dragon, but is not confident that he can face the scavengers that fill it unopposed.

I mean if you want jyuken there's baguazhang, the Chinese martial art that jyuken is based off of (quite literally since baguazhang translates to "eight trigrams palm"). Its considered a comparatively "softer" marital art in the lexicon of Chinese kungfu. Lots of circlely and flowy movements.

I wonder if a persons 'soft and squishy bits' are proportionally vulnerable as their strength increases through cultivation?
Or if those vulnerabilities of human anatomy also fade, having all parts of the body be equal in durability?

Temple Treasure 2
Part 2 of Temple Treasure

Just what is this treasure they were looking for? Just what is it that Xuan Shi wants in this temple so badly that he would seek assistance from Cai's retainer, Ling Qi? Now....for the reveal we are all waiting for...

Yep, Tales of Yu Long has returned. Now in its sequel, Emerald Escapades. Yes, @Orkus Majorkus you were right, it is indeed a trashy romance novel

@yrsillar here's the sequel, enjoy :D

Last edited:
I wonder if a persons 'soft and squishy bits' are proportionally vulnerable as their strength increases through cultivation?
Or if those vulnerabilities of human anatomy also fade, having all parts of the body be equal in durability?
Until you get to the very top reaches of cultivation it's the latter, though it's more like there's a slow reduction in the parts that 'matter'

That said once your reaching the point where your organs stop mattering much you have to worry about direct attacks on your dantian and the meridian system you've carved for yourself, so it's more like ones vulnerabilities change rather than disappear.

For reference, these are some authentic videos of what Muay Thai looks like:

That is not Muay Thai. Not in the slightest. It's a crude distorted imagining of what Hollywood thinks Muay Thai is. It's wildly inaccurate, crude and, to me, frankly distasteful.

This is what authentic Muay Thai looks like:

Or perhaps this, which is a beautiful yet brutal display of Muay Khao, a close ranged style focusing on knees and elbows:

For something more recent, perhaps this, featuring Saenchai playing with his food. You may need to skip a bit into the video to get to the start of the fight:

Miss me with that Hollywood bullshit. This is proper Muay Thai.

Last edited:

Yeah probably mixing it up with somethng else

makes me die inside

tons of martial arts do that, especially the authentic ones. hard/soft isn't always going to tell you which style is going for the brutal ultraviolence, either. karate, at least as I know it, is as hard as hard gets but originally incorporated tons of eye stabs and joint manipulation
That is not Muay Thai. Not in the slightest. It's a crude distorted imagining of what Hollywood thinks Muay Thai is. It's wildly inaccurate, crude and, to me, frankly distasteful.

This is what authentic Muay Thai looks like:

Or perhaps this, which is a beautiful yet brutal display of Muay Khao, a close ranged style focusing on knees and elbows:

For something more recent, perhaps this, featuring Saenchai playing with his food. You may need to skip a bit into the video to get to the start of the fight:

Miss me with that Hollywood bullshit. This is proper Muay Thai.

See my post above.

Modern Muay Thai is very much a hard striking art, though there is extensive joint manipulation in the clinch. It's straightforward and simple at its core, eschuewing most flashy or impractical strikes in favour of brutal effectiveness, yet at the highest level becomes a beautiful and subtle interplay of rhythm, balance and sheer mental grit to shrug off even the most painful strikes with a smile.

Muay Boran, the older style from which Muay Thai was derived before it became a codified sport in the 40s (and similarly, Lert Rit, the military style), was more lethal, featuring bone breaking off joint locks and strikes mean to permanent cripple or that would be considered unsporting today. Boran fighters used to wrap their wrists and hands in hemp rope, dip them in resin and then shards of broken glass, and would fight until one fighter conceded, was knocked out, or died. Many of these old techniques have been lost, and Boran today is mostly a demonstration art form, though in more rural areas of Thailand you might still find styles closer to it today. Lert Rit is still practiced, but finding a teacher outside of the Thai military is exceedingly hard.

Last edited:
Back