Honestly surprised they hadn't sent an official ambassador if only to keep tabs on things.
IIRC, I think our boss already mentioned that there were talk of letting the Diplomacy arm of the Union handle things, but they also admitted that the DFRI are more suitable for contact.

We're the foremost experts(?) regarding the Kausen, after all.

But yeah, if the Enclave is built, then the Union guys might need to make things "formal" between them and the new guys.

But yeah, if the Enclave is built, then the Union guys might need to make things "formal" between them and the new guys.
Seems most likely yeah, and not to mention makes things much more official looking once they go public.

Assuming they frame it right peaceful contact with an alien group to combat criminals will make awesome PR for the Union as a whole.

"I'll break it down for you," Anna says. Her hands tend to get wildly animated when she's explaining something, you notice. Ticking off one finger, she says, "One: it needs to be fast, and based on a chassis that's readily available. Something we can requisition parts for without too much fuss."

"Sensible." You take out a pen and start jotting down notes. Old habits die hard. "What else?"

"Low profile, sneaky. Something that can blend in or just not be noticed in general."

"Stealth capabilities?"

"We'll accept that as fulfilling the conditions," she concedes.

"Alternate vehicle modes?" you ask, "Or Mecha?"

"Mecha," she says without hesitation. "If things go wrong, that's the agent's backup option."

I was thinking Bubblegum Crisis.

But it may be too soon for hardsuits and they may be too small scale.

Last edited:
Yea I remember it now. I did in fact watch it a long time. Didn't appeal to me so I didn't finish it.

@Theunderbolt

Seems like your image doesn't show on mine.
It's directly linked, so might I suggest putting it up on Imgur instead?
Belay that, I can see it now, though it's still directly linked... oh well.

Also, yes. That.
Wearable motorbikes.

When does a mecha become small enough it just becomes transforming power armor?

Is there a convenient scale?

It's good now. Neat.

Also, nondescript mecha built for speed and size, huh.
The only other option is a miniature Knightmare Frame:

One can argue that power armor is "worn around the body", while mecha are "ridden/sat on".

Then this comparison blows up into smithereens when G Gundam is mentioned, because the control methods for their building-high mecha are latex suits worn by the pilots that replicate the wearer's movements.

@Basarin while we are on the topic of conversation is it possible at some point make power armor for regular sized people to wear? Sure they wouldn't stand up to mecha or other large threats but having things built for speed, agility, and enough strength to easily large weapons would give Union troops an edge against most conventional threats in general.

Get enough working together as a unit and the could be a decent threat against smaller mecha in general.

Also could get them in civilian market place to act as tools for heavy industry and similar things.

On another note have been curious @Basarin, if you were to compare the quest modern day to a fictional setting which one would fit the most when it comes to average technology people can get their hands on and culture which would you choose?

@Massgamer

There will be official diplomats on hand later. Right now, the fact it is even a thing is still a secret.

Power armor can be a thing. There just hasn't been any call for it from the DFRI specifically.

I also am a bit unclear as to your third question.

I also am a bit unclear as to your third question.
Sorry, let me try to explain. I get the setting is suppose to be a 20 minutes into the future kinda thing but is it comparable to any fictional setting to give us more of a mental image of what it looks like?

Like it's mentioned there was the Unification Wars messing things up and then the thirty years of relative peace under the Union which has seen lots of technological/cultural developments but you never went into detail what that looks like.

Oil refineries are mentioned but wouldn't they be defunct if better more cleaner means of power production have been developed already (unless the oil is still used to make other things)? How far is computer tech, since while AIs are obviously not common maybe basic VIs, drones, self driving cars, etc? Are implants, genetic engineering on humans, cyborgs, and other transhuman examples a thing?

Just like getting an idea in my mind since there are things today already that seemed the realm of science fiction a few years ago.

I suppose getting large part of Earth and its governments getting destroyed due to Starfall would change many things.
The organization of countries, for starters.

Countries banding together/joining the Union was probably both a good and band thing.
Good, as in "united we stand".
Bad, as in "chance of losing national identity is high".

That reminds me. I wonder if there are Orbital Elevators around?
Or is the Union too bogged down with Westphalian terrorists to even start constructing a megastructure like that?

I just realized that we could totally build the Nirvash.

Kaiju for the skeleton, the artifact for the alien stuff, give it TMU capabilities, all we need is a cute girl a and a kid from a small town.

Oh! we need also some form of hoverboard technology.

Last edited:
@Massgamer

I see what you mean now. I will try to explain what I can, currently on a phone keyboard.

Technology is a mixed bag. As was made clear, weapons have not exactly kept up, but developments in medicine, space flight (at least until the Free Bros. started messing with that) and computing technology (such as early holographic displays) are a thing.

Transhumanism isn't a thing. Right now, limited mechanical replacement limbs and genetic treatment for diseases are available but that's it. Not enough to force a treatment on someone who never asked for this.

Energy, oil is still a thing but it's been heavily regulated by the Union. They have slowly been shifting to fusion energy, but a sudden shift would still throw local economies into a spin. Oil still has some industrial application but not the widespread use as before.

I haven't really touched on these points because it really isn't my focus. *shrug*

I imagine that even if not used for energy, oil'd be pretty popular for making plastics and the like. A lot fewer uses than if people burned it, but I wouldn't expect it to be without value any time soon, as starting out with significant hydrocarbon chains (octane (8 carbons), decane (10 carbons), etc.) as can be found in oil makes plastic manufacture much easier than having to build up from methane (1 carbon) or ethane (2 carbons), especially for something like polyethylene, which is just a really long hydrocarbon chain. Note, though, that the process is not quite that simple: Polyethylene is made by polymerizing Ethylene, which is similar to Ethane except that it contains 2 fewer hydrogens. Ethylene however, is mostly made by steam cracking of longer hydrocarbons, though it is also made through the removal of hydrogens from Ethanol with sulfuric acid, though this is not done industrially.

Last edited:
It makes sense that once it's use as the primary energy source has been taken away that oil would probably become just another chemical with various industrial uses. What interests me most about oil use dropping is not the economical backlash, but the political shifts that would occur as a result.

I'd assume that as the worldwide demand for oil fell that the middle east would fall in terms of significance as an area of interest for the world powers such as the US and Russia and China. I can easily see how that could result in decreasing tensions between the parties that were interested in the area and withdrawal of troops because it just simply wasn't important enough to commit the resources necessary to maintain a presence in the area.

Judging by their real world counterparts, I'd assume that the US was the one that finally managed to achieve a form of fusion that was mass producible since they currently have the most money invested and research labs dedicated to sciencing it. So once they had a form of energy that was more advanced than that of all other countries they used that leverage to persuade the other major powers to more permanently join together in a world government.

I can see how that conclusion wouldn't sit very well with smaller countries, especially with those that didn't see any immediate benefit from the new world government and garner much sympathy for the Westphalian movement.

Also of note are the middle eastern countries, who after many years of waging proxy wars for the US and Russia and now being "abandoned" by those countries(Even though they probably received huge amounts of economic and scientific aid) would be fed up. Especially those countries who had for so long relied on their vast stores of oil to strong arm more militarily powerful countries would feel slighted and would support the wide ranging movement for "Freedom and independence".

Also General George the Incompetent, the slimy bastard. I don't trust him one bit. Fun fact I did some in depth research on the name George Armistead (I googled it) and found out that George Armistead was a Lieutenant Colonel who fought for independence in the war of 1812 and did some cool shit. His son Lewis Armistead however was an Confederate officer who charged at people with guns and died. The common theme here is that the name Armistead is closely linked with being officers of secessionist armies. So y'know I'm not saying that he's a Westphalian, but he's totally a Westphalian.

So after all those paragraphs what I'm saying is that basically the Westphalians may have the support of powerful people from pre-unification countries. and that we should be careful of who we trust.

So after all those paragraphs what I'm saying is that basically the Westphalians may have the support of powerful people from pre-unification countries. and that we should be careful of who we trust.
Good thing we got into the good graces of Fem!Not!Kaji and the Intelligence Bureau of the Union recently, huh.

The funny thing with oil is that it really is vastly more valuable as a chemical reagent than as fuel. Fuel use is practically wasting it, except it is cheap to extract in bulk.
The economics will settle out quickly enough.

The politics won't.

Quick shorthand: Does your limbs occupy the same space as the unit's limbs?
If yes, its a power armor.

A true mecha has the operator situated entirely within one body part of the resultant. Usually heavily armored.

I haven't really touched on these points because it really isn't my focus. *shrug*
That's fair and sorry for my annoying asking, I just world-building in general and personally feel it helps the immersion into fiction in general.
Like your analysis of what the world might look like.

Also yes we should be worried about Westphalians supporters in the Union in general.

@Massgamer

Nah it's fine! I was just pointing out I haven't focused on that particular area yet. :)

I'm fine with questions about the world building. Never feel like you shouldn't ask! I just may or may not have an answer for it yet.

Back