"You can tell that someone's a berserk by their frami, as well as a rough estimate of how much orthstirr they have. Now, if they're limiting themselves, then their frami will be reduced as well, so that's something to keep in mind."
Frami: Orthsirr, Berserk Y/N

Interesting. How does limiting yourself works?
"Virthing is a bit more complex," he points out each part as he goes down the list, "the first thing you see is that I'm skilled with the sword, good enough to have earned a commendation from the Great King of Miklagard — which is what the purple rope is. The writing is Greek, a record of my service in the Varangian Guard. Virthing typically holds some measure of information about the history of a man and his various skills."
Virthing: History, Skills, Fylgja
"these swords were plowshares. Once, I had a pair of brothers. Now I have neither."
:cry:

Steinarr having a dog Fylgja puts Flekr into a new perspective.
Twin crowns of iron sprout from brows as you face one another. The difference, as always, is stark. Where your saemd is iron spikes, his is sword blades. Where yours are topped by steadily burning candleflames, his swords are wreathed in wildly blazing licks of flame. But the differences don't end there, no. Roots climb up the blades while wrapping in and out, holding the weapons in place. Charms dangle from the roots, an on-fire owl feather, twinned shields, a pair of interlocking rings — one of which is broken and scorched — a ship, an anvil, a woven tapestry, a fishing hook, a baby's swaddle, and a broken skull.
Burning Owl Feather: Halla
Twinned Shields: Torsten Two-Shield
Interlocking Rings: Asveig
Ship: Eric
Anvil: Sten
Woven Tapestry: Asva?
Fishing Hook, Baby's Swaddle: ??? Our two younger brothers?
Broken Skull: Horra?
"Saemd is the most complex of all of them. It speaks of hugareida and of family — though virthing often contains information about that too." Steinarr doesn't say much after that, talking about his virthing must have taken a lot out of him.
Saemd: Hugareida, Family (including found family)

Halla's Saemd is.. uninformative. It seems only the top two Hugareidas are shown, and Standstill is hard to see or represent.

Her siblings and friends aren't shown on her aspects, but perhaps it's because our history with them isn't overlong?

###

[X] He goes to Vestfold with his father

After that chat with Steinarr and Blackhand I can't imagine Halla telling Aki to break ties with his dad.

...I guess this is where our farm is going to get a jumpstart on herds, though.

[X] Go to the Seeress and begin learning seidr

Kinda want to watch the Raiding Trials and meet up with Folkmarr though.

Last edited:

Cheers! That really clears lots things up - I was wondering why we were investing just one training die in lots of different things.

I think I also understand the Odr/Orthstirr distinction for infusing/investing into stats now - infusing with Odr essentially means we have more Orthstirr free for other things, like Tricks, rather than needing to invest it in those stats every turn?

Speaking of Reward Dice, this was, more or less, the first thing I saw upon waking up. Grade A laughter, have a Reward Dice.

Thank you!

Aki is silent for a long while. Eventually, he offers a noncommitting shrug, "I... I don't know."

You say nothing, simply letting him continue when he's ready.

"He's, Runar's my father and I love him, but I also... You've done so much for me, more than you know, and I can't just betray that by leaving, but..." he slumps, a shadow passing over his face, "Dad's sacrificed so much for me, when it would've been so much easier to just let me die in the cold. I killed mom, after all, I would've deserved it! ...But he didn't. He kept me, even naming me after his own damn father. Blind, runty, useless me! What an utter waste of a name!" He waves a hand at his small stature, a look of utter disgust on his face.

So, my two pence here.

Reading this and looking back, the impression I get is that Runar constantly reminds Aki that he's a disappointment who killed his mother in childbirth, and that Aki feels tied to his father largely by guilt. Aki deserves to be around people who appreciate and love him for the great young man is, not constantly comparing him to the imaginary able-bodied son who he isn't. So I think Aki should stay with us, he will be better off in the long run if he isn't trapped in a co-dependent relationship. Runar might be too, honestly.

[X] He stays here with you

I don't particularly want to watch the trials, so let's do what we came here to do.

Cheers! That really clears lots things up - I was wondering why we were investing just one training die in lots of different things.

Yup. 30 dice invested in 1 die increments make for 30 successes while they'd average more like 20 successes if all put in one thing. Sometimes you need 20 successes in one thing, of course, but if you need 30 different things anyway and aren't in a hurry...

I think I also understand the Odr/Orthstirr distinction for infusing/investing into stats now - infusing with Odr essentially means we have more Orthstirr free for other things, like Tricks, rather than needing to invest it in those stats every turn?

Among many other things, yes, that's correct.

It also increases various other stuff associated with the stat beyond even what you get when filling it full of Orthstirr (extra Endurance and Shapeshifting Slots for Hamr, extra Capacity and Alloy slots for Hugr, and so on), and sometimes provides other benefits (Frenzy is based on our Infused Hugr, while Calm Charges are based on our Infused Composure).

So, my two pence here.

Reading this and looking back, the impression I get is that Runar constantly reminds Aki that he's a disappointment who killed his mother in childbirth, and that Aki feels tied to his father largely by guilt. Aki deserves to be around people who appreciate and love him for the great young man is, not constantly comparing him to the imaginary able-bodied son who he isn't. So I think Aki should stay with us, he will be better off in the long run if he isn't trapped in a co-dependent relationship. Runar might be too, honestly.

That's not the vibe I've gotten from them to be honest. It's not Runar who says things like that, it's literally everyone else. From what we've seen Runar is supportive of his son, it's just that having literally only one supportive person in your whole life is not really sufficient. We've tried to provide more, and have managed it in ourselves, but Abjorn is quiet and not even our other friends always manage to be supportive (Stigr is kind of a dick to Aki a lot of the time, for example, though we call him on it).

Now, this kind of relationship isn't impossible, as we've only met his father a few times, and don't see them alone together, but from what we can tell all of Aki's issues seem to be based on the entire society he's living in wanting him to be the imaginary able-bodied man he isn't (which it definitely does), not specifically his father.

In particular, there've been some hints that Aki, and his father continuing to care for him, is part of the reason that his father has been unable to get remarried or make a lot of friends, which is part of why their farm is severely understaffed and was struggling before the livestock infusion we gave them. There have been no hints that his father blames him for that, but he's a smart kid and literally has psychic visions, so he knows. That's enough to hit him hard in the confidence even if his dad is great about it.

Last edited:
-[X] Tell him we're coming to visit Vestfold in the next few years (though he should keep it quiet as we do have enemies about in those parts), and will see him then and would welcome him joining us at that time if he wants to.

Poor Aki, being torn between family and obligation to one who has helped him.

If Runar were the kind of man to let his disappointment in his son truly rule him, he'd have kicked his son out into the woods to die of exposure years ago and gone off to start a new family.

Yeah, like, if I felt for an instant Runar was a bad father, I'd have chosen otherwise, but by all indications, it's a very close relationship.

@Imperial Fister some minor character sheet errors:

As Alectai noted, we should be at 4/6 on Sword and Helm due to Sten's tutleage.

Our Odr pool should, I think, be only 19, as we had 11 and gained 18, of which we spent 10.

Our Mail Shirt should be at 13/17 since we auto-repair it at 4 per turn.

Sadly, I think we needed to pay taxes at the end of the year, but the money has not been deducted. Unless we got a year off from taxes for doing the Headman a favor?

Our Combat Pool should be higher. It should be at least 62 from our two dice from Strike 1, and maybe 64 plus however many dice the Bolt Thrower adds from our Shoot (though we might not be good enough at that for it to add yet?) The Bolt Thrower should also have however many dice it adds listed (I'd think something like 3 or 4 in context...it's nowhere near as good as what we can make but it seems to be a Dwarf design and made of good materials, which is probably worth something). It's also listed as 40d6 from stats and skills when it should be 41d6 even not including the above (it should be 43d6 including Strike, 45d6 including Shoot as well).

Last edited:
-[X] Tell him we're coming to visit Vestfold in the next few years (though he should keep it quiet as we do have enemies about in those parts), and will see him then and would welcome him joining us at that time if he wants to.

I'll admit; Aki will do equally poorly in both places. He's blind and with no good trade except rune-work, and my greed is enough to want him in our circle here where we can have backup for Spoopy Shit and to train him in Odr.

I'll admit; Aki will do equally poorly in both places. He's blind and with no good trade except rune-work, and my greed is enough to want him in our circle here where we can have backup for Spoopy Shit and to train him in Odr.

I think it's a matter of where he'll have a better support structure, which is a gamble. He stays here he has us and maybe Abjorn, Tryggr, and Trausti. He goes, he has his dad and maybe his cousins. Hard to say which is better, really. Which is one reason for my proposal of letting him go but very explicitly giving him the option to come back. That effectively lets him try out Vestfold for a few years and return here if he winds up preferring us.

Last edited:
[X] Hey, Gary Tuskpuncher is selling these weird, cheese-covered sticks of bread, maybe you should go buy some?

Why are we sleeping on Cheesy bread sticks, we need to start with a full stomach:V

I think it's a matter of where he'll have a better support structure, which is a gamble. He stays here he has us and maybe Abjorn, Tryggr, and Trausti. He goes, he has his dad and maybe his cousins. Hard to say which is better, really. Which is one reason for my proposal of letting him go but very explicitly giving him the option to come back. That effectively lets him try out Vestfold for a few years and return here if he winds up preferring us.

Yeah, pretty much. Thing is, if it's a coin-flip on which is empirically better, I'm going to pick "with us" every time, because there we can at least try to tilt it in his favor.

Yeah, pretty much. Thing is, if it's a coin-flip on which is empirically better, I'm going to pick "with us" every time, because there we can at least try to tilt it in his favor.

I think he'll have a lot fewer regrets if he at least tries to stay with his dad. Worst case scenario in terms of interpersonal stuff it's an unpleasant few years and then he rejoins our merry band.

-[X] He goes to Vestfold with his father
--[X] Tell him we're coming to visit Vestfold in the next few years (though he should keep it quiet as we do have enemies about in those parts), and will see him then and would welcome him joining us at that time if he wants to.
You have extra dashes making your vote get counted separately. Which is weird considering it was your write-in.
Adhoc vote count started by Imperial Fister on Jun 17, 2023 at 1:22 AM, finished with 27 posts and 13 votes.

• [X] Go to the Seeress and begin learning seidr
    [X] Hey, Gary Tuskpuncher is selling these weird, cheese-covered sticks of bread, maybe you should go buy some?
    -[X] He goes to Vestfold with his father
    --[X] Tell him we're coming to visit Vestfold in the next few years (though he should keep it quiet as we do have enemies about in those parts), and will see him then and would welcome him joining us at that time if he wants to.

How's that work anyway? Is it just copying the base die investment of initial strike, but using the Sword Hugareida instead of anything else that might be in there?
Needs its own dice allotted to it, else that would be a bit too much for me.
Anyway, I guess the way the Soulscape Wall Project works is that every training die we put in that is one more Labor roll? Targetting a specific total number of Successes?
There are a number of success levels that you need to hit before the fence is complete.
Interesting. How does limiting yourself works?
Essentially, you can limit how much orthstirr your frami gives you on a stoke, which allows you to trick your opponent into thinking you've got less orthstirr than you actually do. However, if you do limit your frami, you can't stoke it again until you've had a chance to calm yourself. It's a bit of a risk, but it can really pay off if you plan on fighting the person once or twice more.
@Imperial Fister some minor character sheet errors:
Ope, thank you!
Why are we sleeping on Cheesy bread sticks, we need to start with a full stomach:V
Immediately after I posted the update, I got surprised by an order of cheese sticks. Fucking Nornir, man.

Essentially, you can limit how much orthstirr your frami gives you on a stoke, which allows you to trick your opponent into thinking you've got less orthstirr than you actually do. However, if you do limit your frami, you can't stoke it again until you've had a chance to calm yourself. It's a bit of a risk, but it can really pay off if you plan on fighting the person once or twice more.
Of course, we could just kill them dead, OR just get a ton of Orthsirr afterwards..

Back