This feels like someone is rooting for us to shoot for quads next time. Let's see if Abjorn finally goes through puberty and grows a reproductive urge now!

We honestly shouldn't be rolling for the next two years at all (or only at vastly elevated difficulties). We're breast feeding which is pretty decent hormonal birth control.

In two years, of course, when we wean these kids, our Hamr will have gone up and with the blessing we are almost certain to have additional babies almost immediately.

Last edited:
I wonder, is the perception filter a protective measure? Like, if Aki figured out Odr and stuff would it make him a Target?

I wonder, is the perception filter a protective measure? Like, if Aki figured out Odr and stuff would it make him a Target?

Might be, that being said. I've got two things I want to do this turn.

1) Keep Exploring, we need all the Cool Stuff we can get.
2) Start scouting Horra's sanctum, if the Enemy is about to make a play, then we don't want to be blind to them, and he's its closest proxy.

That aside, @DeadmanwalkingXI , the reason I want to inform our inner circle is so we can get more heads bashing against the whole "Don't get killed when you break through" problem. The Perception Filter is a headache, but that seems to only be blocking us from talking about Odr, not anything else.

If it does kick in, we want to know what triggers it.

Anyway, other Research Topics should include 'What the fuck does the Berry do?' Maybe we can eat it? And we should investigate that circle of trees we found too, because that looks Special. Maybe they've got seeds we can nick to make our own grove?

And of course, keeping up the Bible Grind.

It's nice to see though that our Crafting is getting to the point where we can semi-reliably produce Fine level equipment, and even get Superior when our dice are hot. We're nearing the limitations of what we can do without Forgefire.

That aside though... Huh, we're capped on Hugr Capacity, levelling that up to 7 just became much more important.

Last edited:
Might be, that being said. I've got two things I want to do this turn.

1) Keep Exploring, we need all the Cool Stuff we can get.
2) Start scouting Horra's sanctum, if the Enemy is about to make a play, then we don't want to be blind to them, and he's its closest proxy.

We can't both Explore and Visit (and scouting Horra is the latter), they use the same action 'slot'. And I think we need to start scouting Horra out.

That aside, @DeadmanwalkingXI , the reason I want to inform our inner circle is so we can get more heads bashing against the whole "Don't get killed when you break through" problem. The Perception Filter is a headache, but that seems to only be blocking us from talking about Odr, not anything else.

If it does kick in, we want to know what triggers it.

Anyway, other Research Topics should include 'What the fuck does the Berry do?' Maybe we can eat it? And we should investigate that circle of trees we found too, because that looks Special. Maybe they've got seeds we can nick to make our own grove?

And of course, keeping up the Bible Grind.

Fair enough. Who do you want to try telling about it? Like, Aki and Abjorn maybe, but who else?

Are the limitations on these inherent no matter how good we get at them, or do they become more able to handle magical and less minor poisons/diseases as our rank in them and/or Campfire itself goes up? How does that work?
Seidr is the answer here. Campfire is great for dealing with the more common, mundane things that you run into, but seidr is the answer to the weird shit

We can't both Explore and Visit (and scouting Horra is the latter), they use the same action 'slot'. And I think we need to start scouting Horra out.

Fair enough. Who do you want to try telling about it? Like, Aki and Abjorn maybe, but who else?

Stigmar's also part of our Inner Circle, and he's seen us experimenting.

So, Aki, Abjorn, and Stigmar.

We should be careful not to give them specific details about what's inside though--partially because we want to see if what they percieve is different than what we percieve, but also so we don't run afoul of the Perception Filter.

What's important is that we nail down What Absolutely Needs to be Done if others want to repeat what we've done.

Namely.

A) Have enough Orthstirr to buy you sufficient time to awaken yourself. I'm not sure if we've quantified Orthstirr at all 'In Charaacter', but absolutely what you'd expect from an adult who's been on at least one successful raid--or comparable level of achievements in other fields. And that's the minimum, the more you have, the better your odds.
B) An External Force capable of forcibly bringing you back to consciousness so you can Stop before you die, just in case you can't maintain consciousness once you began.
and finally, C) Absolutely do not introduce your Frami to this, taking a look using Virthing and Saemd is safe from your experience, but once you introduce Frami, you are now Courting Death, and if you haven't made the utmost preparations to draw yourself out of that trance, that will be your Doom.

Last edited:
Seems likely. I think that's an element of "Memory is forever" - things outside of us can be hidden or changed, but what's in our head should stay that way. Though apparently other people are vulnerable to changes in memory - the Enemy rewrote the seeress's memory after all.

On a vaguely related note, I'm still baffled at the idea that the Enemy is able to mess with Norse cultivation itself... 🤔 Like, what does that even mean when it comes down to it? Cultivation is usually a matter of the shape of the soul and fundamental metaphysics... In Norse myth humans are A) licked out of ice blocks by a cosmic cow or B) formed from trees, there's not really a fall narrative there. My suggestion that the Enemy was behind the Apple of the Tree of Knowledge wasn't entirely facetious, because that's one of the few mythological bases I can think of for messing with the nature of humans on a fundamental level. That and Pandora's box in Greek myth... 🤔

Last edited:
Seidr is the answer here. Campfire is great for dealing with the more common, mundane things that you run into, but seidr is the answer to the weird shit

That makes sense thematically. It leaves both anti-poison and anti-sickness as kinda unimpressive tricks on their own with no real reason to ever raise above Rough, though. Like...orthstirr recovers quickly enough that I'm not sure the price difference there will ever really matter. Maybe have it be one trick to do poison/disease (still mundane only, mind you) but you only get one at Rough and pick up the other at Refined?

I think a lot of people are going to be kicking themselves when The Enemy is revealed.

You can just do that.

Nice.

I think another 3 Odr should be good? My gut says 9 is the turning point, since that's an Important Number, but we don't know if just shoving all the Odr in at once is a good idea or not.

Also, we need to kit our Owl out for potential combat if we're scouting this turn. I figure we should give it Kindle-Spinner, Halting-Vortex, Ember-Wing Cloak, and Tracking. Should give it a good balance of offense, defense, and emergency mobility if all else fails.

Last edited:
So yeah, I think that's our research itinerary this turn.

1 to eat the berry and see what happens
1 for Bible Study
1 to investigate the Mysterious Tree Grove--maybe see if they've got some seeds or pinecones or whatever we can transfer to our Field?
And then the last one to bring everyone else up to date with our research so we can put our heads together and see if we can figure out how to mitigate the risks of Initiation. Because like hell do we have enough research dice to figure this shit all out ourselves.

Yup. This. There's almost certainly ways it can make us more powerful but we haven't figured out how yet.
Like I said, I'd suggest seeing if we can power tricks with odr, put it into our dice pool like orthstirr, and see if we can do rune-y things with it. Heck, even see how it works with seidr. And Twists! Though I think we have to wait for the latter until the narrative opportunity arises.

Like...orthstirr recovers quickly enough that I'm not sure the price difference there will ever really matter. Maybe have it be one trick to do poison/disease (still mundane only, mind you) but you only get one at Rough and pick up the other at Refined?
Personally, I don't really want dying of normal-ass pneumonia to be something you have to worry about. Magical Gluelung Pneumonia? Sure!

Likewise with something like poison ivy. Kinda seems a bit silly to have you be this monumental badass cultivator lady only to be brought low by freaking off-season clams.

[X] First Stage Name: Midgard

@Imperial Fister, is there an iron gut trick in Campfire or in general that Halla could learn, and would it be of any use in ameliorating the effects eating bad seeds or things for cultivation purposes or even cultivating them inside herself?

Like I said, I'd suggest seeing if we can power tricks with odr, put it into our dice pool like orthstirr, and see if we can do rune-y things with it. Heck, even see how it works with seidr. And Twists!

Odr's still a bit too precious to put into Tricks just yet, we're now going to be generating it passively (And we'll know if my theory of your max Odr condensation being the tens digit of your Aspects is correct this turn, as we just hit 90s in them). Which helps.

I think it's more likely that our harvests are things we can invest into our Tricks and other powers to gain either much greater short-term benefits, or permanent ones.
[X] First Stage Name: Midgard

@Imperial Fister, is there an iron gut trick in Campfire or in general that Halla could learn, and would it be of any use in ameliorating the effects eating bad seeds or things for cultivation purposes or even cultivating them inside herself?

Tricks don't really seem to work on Cultivation itself, like how we were told there's no real way to learn a Trick that can help you maintain consciousness during the first Odr Condensation.

Odr's still a bit too precious to put into Tricks just yet, we're now going to be generating it passively (And we'll know if my theory of your max Odr condensation being the tens digit of your Aspects is correct this turn, as we just hit 90s in them). Which helps.
Eh, if we're generating it passively, I think it's worth spending a mote to see if we can put it into a stat and another to power a point of Hone or something. Worth knowing before we end up in a fight if we have the option.

Back