Isnt this just a trading mission cum funeral? Why were so many people interested in coming with us?

We were quite lucky!

But for IC reasons I can see:

1. A trading mission is a good way to get money. We split our proceeds, they get to bring home a nice little nest egg to build up their farms with or buy one if they don't have one already. Especially since our last trading mission was like, so much more successful than anyone elses.

2. Steinnar was a big deal to a lot of people in Hading. It makes sense that people might turn up for the chance to pay their respects, since he was explicitly a 'shirt off his own back to help his neighbors' type person.

3. A lot of the people are listed as being New to the Hading and maybe they see it as a chance to Network. Halla is extremely impressive as are her family - maybe not as important as Dorris family, but easily second to that. And there's just a lot of people who are going. How better to meet your neighbors than bonding on a long term mission?

4. They heard tales of Halla's exploits last time and are like 'oh yeah, no way This trading mission ends up just being a trading mission. We are gonna get a great fight'

5. They might just... like Halla? She has a good reputation and deals with people well. She saved dozens of people from death during the revenge raid. People probably like her quite a lot and might choose to do something suboptimal with someone they trust to have their back, over going out for aomething More but with someone they don't at the head.

Btw, do we wanna do the Fylgja contact spell to tell Farbjorn Steinnar and his father are both dead? We can even ask him to send a message to Gabriel.

We can also use that spell to contact Aki, ask for his help in the murder investigation without going to Vestfold. We can probably contact Veny too.

Last thing, should we tell Solrun everything we learnt from the divination? This might be a social action but its probably worth it if we can afford it. If only to get her opinion on the reliability of the results.

1. A trading mission is a good way to get money. We split our proceeds, they get to bring home a nice little nest egg to build up their farms with or buy one if they don't have one already. Especially since our last trading mission was like, so much more successful than anyone elses.

Logistical note, but it's more they get cargo space to bring their own cargo and get to make their own deals. Still lucrative, but splitting profits would involve them contributing to acquiring the trade goods in the first place...the crew did that last time since the trade goods were for mercenary work, but if we just buy stuff then sell it, we keep all profits.

Otherwise I generally agree, just noting.

Btw, do we wanna do the Fylgja contact spell to tell Farbjorn Steinnar and his father are both dead? We can even ask him to send a message to Gabriel.

We can also use that spell to contact Aki, ask for his help in the murder investigation without going to Vestfold. We can probably contact Veny too.

I don't think we know Veny well enough for that, but we could contact the other two, potentially. That's actions, though...so we may do it, but we need to consider the details.

Last thing, should we tell Solrun everything we learnt from the divination? This might be a social action but its probably worth it if we can afford it. If only to get her opinion on the reliability of the results.

Yeah, we ensure privacy and tell Solrun everything. She's not gonna side with Dorri over us in a million years and knows how to keep a secret. We may do that as one of our 'seeress topics' this turn.

Last edited:
Hmm, I guess we're going to have to devise a ritual to contact the spirit guardian of the mountain of metal if we want to learn the style.

I just had a trought, could the Brazen-Heartleaf (the magical plant that Dorri supposedly stole from Buri once) help Kurt with his nidheart?

If we manage to recover one, we can help him. Shame we lost our chance with the one Buri offered us.

I just had a trought, could the Brazen-Heartleaf (the magical plant that Dorri supposedly stole from Buri once) help Kurt with his nidheart?

If we manage to recover one, we can help him. Shame we lost our chance with the one Buri offered us.
Using the brazen-heartleaf is over-reacting to his Nidheart. Also we would need to figure out how to prepare the leaf correctly too otherwise we'll get Folkmarr. It's a minor nidheart not a built in flaw that we need to correct.

Shard's F-U Privacy Runes

Words woven within, whispered not without.
Secrets spoken sealed shut.
Ears outside, eavesdropping inside,
Hears only hearsay and halftruths -

Raven's unanwerable riven riddle.

Here's a privacy riddle if we want to use it. It's written in Ljóðaháttr, Galdralag (Incantation verse) variant. With the 5th line (written in brackets) it's Galdralag, without it's Ljóðaháttr. I prefer the version with 5 lines, but the version with 4 lines should still work, if less elegantly. The rhyming for this one is extremely tight, too.

The intention of this is that not only do eavesdroppers not hear what's going on inside, they get information that sort of makes sense if you think about it, but no, not really, it's just a red herring. I want people who eavesdrop on us to not merely not get anything, I want them to actively waste their time pointlessly trying to reason out what was being said.

Note that this wouldn't work on someone who got inside, like with an Ant Fylgja. Something to keep in mind.

Words woven within, whispered not without. = W alliteration, words spoken inside will not be heard outside.
Secrets spoken sealed shut. = S alliteration, secrets spoken inside will not be revealed.
Ears outside, eavesdropping inside, = E alliteration, everyone who nonetheless tries to spy..
Hears only hearsay and halftruths - = H alliteration, ..will hear nonsense

Raven's unanwerable riven riddle. = R alliteration, and said nonsence will be as undecipherable as Odin's own riddle (Raven as kenning for Odin here), as the final riddle he gave to Vafþrúðnir.

Last edited:
Shard's F-U Privacy Runes

Words woven within, whispered not without.
Secrets spoken sealed shut.
Ears outside, eavesdropping inside,
Hears only hearsay and halftruths -

(A riven riddle without an answer.)

Here's a privacy riddle if we want to use it. It's written in Ljóðaháttr, Galdralag (Incantation verse) variant. With the 5th line (written in brackets) it's Galdralag, without it's Ljóðaháttr. I prefer the version with 5 lines, but the version with 4 lines should still work, if less elegantly. The rhyming for this one is extremely tight, too.

The intention of this is that not only do eavesdroppers not hear what's going on inside, they get information that sort of makes sense if you think about it, but no, not really, it's just a red herring. I want people who eavesdrop on us to not merely not get anything, I want them to actively waste their time pointlessly trying to reason out what was being said.

Note that this wouldn't work on someone who got inside, like with an Ant Fylgja. Something to keep in mind.
maybe add another part, or some spells, that will curse/harm anyone trying to break or cancel the runes? like with Horra's horse head. I don't like the idea of someone managing to easily destroy our runes.

we can also make anti ant runes, most likely? though as specific as it is its very suspicious, so only if we can be sure no one will find them

maybe add another part, or some spells, that will curse/harm anyone trying to break or cancel the runes? like with Horra's horse head. I don't like the idea of someone managing to easily destroy our runes.

we can also make anti ant runes, most likely? though as specific as it is its very suspicious, so only if we can be sure no one will find them
We would want to be able to cancel the runes on command, so not really the best idea. After all, we would only want the runes to be used when we are actually talking. The runes being broken would not be a real concern.

As for anti ant runes.. remember that runes have to be seen to work.

Eh. Ants are obnoxious vermin that sneak into your house and eat your food. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of seidr practitioners have anti-vermin protection on their homes. It's at random spots in the wilderness where that kind of thing would be suspicious.

As for anti ant runes.. remember that runes have to be seen to work.
As in, the runes have to be seen by the person or thing they are working on?

Last edited:
As in, the runes have to be seen by the person or thing they are working on?
From what I recall, they need to be visible on the item/place (It needs to be possible to be understood). Other than that though you're good to go.
I mean, we can just include a password or riddle letting us safely disable the rune?
I mean more, if we want to use the runes we would obviously be able to tell if they are working or have been tampered with. After all we would be like, putting the runes on the inside of the room we are working on.

From what I recall, they need to be visible on the item/place (It needs to be possible to be understood). Other than that though you're good to go.
Well, then. I'd think that putting anti-ant runes or anti-ant seidr on the interior of a home would be pretty much par for the course.

Of course, for us to do it now, if we haven't before, would at least strongly hint to someone watching us closely that we've figured out ants are more of a problem than they were before. But you can't have everything.

Another observation: ants are slow. They can't keep up with someone who's moving around, really.

Alrighty, then. It's time for voting to close
Scheduled vote count started by Imperial Fister on Nov 4, 2023 at 7:10 PM, finished with 100 posts and 6 votes.

If someone could roll me a hamingja check, that'd be nice. It's for what's available in Asvir for trade goods

🤔 Fylgjur can evolve to gain new properties as they improve. In the counterfactual where Asgeirr does convert, it's plausible that his fylgja will evolve into a Wolf of God, which might supplement his lack of Pneuma in allowing him to receive Grace? Even then it probably wouldn't be as good as having a proper Pneuma stat, but in combination with having a pool of orthstirr to go along with it, and maybe also eventually unlocking Odr, it might be enough to put him on par with other cultivators.

Back