Alright, I'll need a d6 for Abjorn and a d6 for Hallbjorn, to see if they get capacity ups

Also, I'm planning on getting started on a Steinarr interlude after today's update, if I can. What would you like to see from it?

I just want to see his reactions to Halla being Halla. Most events that fall under that would be good.

The ending of the whole thing with Horra would also be nice.

I noticed no one else rolled a d6, so away we go!
Edit: .... I'm not shocked but still disappointed.
mythfan12 threw 1 6-faced dice. Total: 1
1 1

Ope, forgot I was planning on doing this.

Finished the research and crafting, plotted out the password cracking, runestone raising, and speaking with Halfdan, now moving on to writing password cracking

Current time: ~1:30

Winter 10/Turn 2
(You have cultivated 50 Odr)
[X] Plan Books, Books, Books
-[X] (Crafting) Try to make something (Free Action)
--[X] Fix the Runes on our Work Knife from last turn (+16 successes fromTools/Workshop)
--[X] "May using me teach how to use a blade." - Hopefully a TrainingItem for Pierce and Slash
--[X] Try and place the Experience of working alongside Abjorn on the farm into the item
-[X] (Underhouse) What would you like to use the Underhouse for?
--[X] Try and find a way to unlock the Dwarven ledger we found in the Underhouse.
--[X] Specifically, attempt to work out the password for the ledger using Sundersight to find any weaknesses in the security and, if possible, Frenzy to better predict what password would work
--[X] If we don't seem to be getting anywhere, then contact Toki to see if the Dwarves can help, but be cautious. Feel him out first around the subject before revealing what we found.
-[X] Write A Book
–[X] Our first book will be an almanac on the Norse farm intended for prospective farmers, covering a diverse array of subjects from plants, animal husbandry, the correct way to lay out a field and farm buildings, and of course comprehensive information on Norse cultivation, including the meaning of Aspects, Orthstirr, Tricks, Hugareida, Styles, and so on. Also included will be information on the other prerequisites of Odr cultivation like needlebinding and weaving.
--[X] Through poetic allusion and the rich oral tradition of the Norse with its bountiful supply of double-meanings, rather than through plain speech, the hidden message of our book will be revealed. The true secret of Odr cultivation, and the means to survive its first pitfalls.
-[X] (Personal) Spend time with...
--[X] Halfdan
--[X] Check in with him if he and his family are really alright after the events of the raid and see how everyone is doing
--[X] Talk to him about why Reidar Swordfury was after him and his situation with regards to Vestfold
-[X] [Social] Erect a Runestone for Steinarr honoring his life and accomplishments
-[X] (Exploration) Go on a walk through...
--[X] The hills!
---[X] (Optional) Range further from your home
---[X] (Optional)Send your fylgja in your place (Does not cost an action)
-[X] Special Note: On all Crafting add the following if possible unless otherwise specified:
--[X] For metal items have Heat Hold available just in case
--[X] Using Sundersight (+1d3 Successes)
--[X] Stoking Frami, Virthing, and Saemd (for +1 Success each, +3 successes total) to enhance the crafting process
-[X] (Research)
--[X] Work on learning how to undo needlebinding more quickly and easily by experimenting with different styles of weaving and knots and taking advantage of our newly increased Hugr to multitask better –1 Research
--[X] Work on teaching Bjorney Eyespeech – 1 Research
--[X] Try and Infuse **1 Odr** into the chicken in our soulscape's Hamr, see if we can apply that process to other people –1 Research
---[X] If it still seems hungry afterwards, feed it
--[X] Try and do the Burl and Bridge thing Solrun suggested to us – 1 Research
--[X] Attempting to recruit the half-formed spirit-wisps in our soulscape –1 Research
--[X] Continue our research on uncovering the parent Style of Time Stands Still. Keep focussing on controlling and rationing our breath as we were doing before, so that the Stopped Time "stutters" in and out of existence as we move rather than being continuous. Try to visualise our breath as a store of energy, similar to our Stoker State, and experiment with how it speeds to our movements and eventually, strikes. Perhaps this is a kind of... Stutter Step? – 1 Research
-[X] (Training) Hamr (255 successes to rank up)
--[X] Train Chop 12xp (6xp)
--[X] Train Thermic Reckoning 36xp (18xp)
--[X] Train Brazier Bomb 4xp (2xp)
-[X] (Training) Hugr (255 successes to rank up)
--[X] Train Contested Movement 28xp (14xp)
--[X] Train Silver-Tongue 12xp (6xp)
--[X] Train Light-Touch 6xp (3xp)
--[X] Train Contention-Connection 6xp (3xp)
--[X] Train Effort Gauge 28xp (14xp)
-[X] (Training) Fylgja (102 successes to rank up)
--[X] Train a Fylgja Trick for improving spiritual perception and especially spiritual overwatch 3 xp
-[X] (Work Dice Usage)
--[X] Buildings, Resources, and Livestock: 2 Living Space, 2 Storage, otherwise maxed out (65 Total)
--[X] Construction: Put 19 into Workshop (19 Total)
--[X] Conversion: Spend for 6 Research Dice (12 Total)
-[X] (Incidentals)
--[X] Infuse **64 Odr** into Hugr
---[X] Take our normal precautions for Infusing Hugr
---[X] Place the new Frenzy in 3 empty Pockets
--[X] Adding Taafl Board Capacity Gains to: Abjorn, Hallbjorn,
--[X] Receiving Metal from Dwarves: 24 oz Forged Iron, 6 oz Storm Iron
-[X] (Alloy Slots)
--[X] Assign ???
-[X] (Capacity Slots)
--[X] Assign Beaconlight, and Vows of Love.
-[X] (Standing Orders)
--[X] Assign our Fylgja's remaining standing order to providing spiritual overwatch for us.
0~0~0
(Currently Left Blank Pending Deadman's Return)
Research
0~0~0
Attempting to improve Needlebinding
Unfortunately, though you study and experiment with different styles and knots, it all comes back to one single problem: in order to undo needlebound cloth, you have to go in and undo each and every loop, one by one. With each line of needlebound cloth consisting of dozens upon dozens of knots, each made with many loops of their own, this is a very painstaking process.

However, as you work at it over and over again, something occurs to you in the back of your head. While the knots still have to be undone one at a time, there's nothing stopping you from working at multiple knots all together!

Still, the question of how remains.

0~0~0
Attempting to teach Bjorney Eyespeech
Though you feel quite silly trying to teach a bear of all things how to speak, you can't help but suspect you're making a little bit of progress. Sometimes, when you catch Bjorney's gaze, the hints of spoken word filters through your mind.

You'll have to keep at it. One or two more lessons should do the trick, you reckon.

0~0~0
Attempting to Infuse the Chicken's Hamr
You watch as the chicken happily pecks at the seeds you scattered before it. Its red comb flops around as its brown feathers shake to and fro as its beak digs deep furrows in the ground from how hard it strikes.

This chicken... Is stronger now that you've pushed your odr into it, that's for sure. You don't think that you could strengthen it any further than you already have, but that's probably a good thing given the way it eyes the world around it now that its pecks break rock.

0~0~0
(Alright, how?)
0~0~0
Attempting to recruit the wisps in your soulscape
After spending an hour wandering around your soulscape and shouting 'hey, who wants to serve me?' at anything and everything—to little result—you reckon you might have to take a more focused approach at recruitment.

Perhaps offering something may help?

0~0~0
Continuing work on uncovering the parent style of Time Stands Still
Something you notice, as you focus on your frozen, stuttering breaths, is that the entire Style almost feels... It's difficult to explain, really, but it's almost like it's not yours, like it's something that you inherited.

When you inhale, all is as expected. The air is as crisp as it always is this time of year. The taste of warmth escaping in the face of the coming winter places across your tongue.

When you exhale, though, it's like someone else is breathing for you. The taste is that of iron, hard and uncaring yet ever-there. It presses down on your throat like a mountain of metal.

But, if it's an inherited style, who could you have inherited it from?

That mountain of metal... Perhaps that's the key?

0~0~0
Development
0~0~0
Fixing the runes on the work knife (Artcraft: 13+16+3+1) 33 Successes
You let loose a triumphant cheer as you fling your hands high above your head.

Finally! Finally! After making an absolute mess of the runes previous, you've finally managed to put some good marks down on the iron.

Seriously, that had been bugging you. The relief that fixing it sent your way? Euphoric.

(Wondrous Work Knife Added to Inventory. This knife grants an additional +1xp to learning Pierce, Slash, and Chop.)
0~0~0
Password Cracking
Leaving a bloody palmprint on the golden trunk of the Warden Tree, you breathe deep of the earthy air rising from the spiral staircase before taking it deep underground. With walls of smooth, well-cared-for stone and soft carpets covering each and every step, it's easy to see that Toki and his family have been doing well for themselves now that they've come into another mine.

Still, despite the niceties the dwarves have lain out for you and any other visitor, the fact that you're here at all stokes the fires of annoyance in your soul. The only reason you're here is because you failed in solving a certain problem of yours by yourself.

Regardless, if even Sundersight working in tandem with your Frenzy failed to crack the dwarf ledger's passcode, then, maybe, you'll have to ask for help.

...No matter how much it may sting your pride to do so.

After sighing heavily and smoothing out your dress' wrinkles, you deliver a trio of sharp taps against the round, carved-stone door leading to the dwarf underhouse.

As the door starts to shake and shift aside, you consider how, exactly, you want to play this. While you're certain that the dwarves could crack the code, if they'll do it for you remains an uncertainty. If you offered up a lot of food for it, you reckon that their greed would overrule their sensibilities, but that may have unintended consequences. You could also have them do it as a favor while making them swear to give it back, but that'd probably damage your relationship a little bit.

Regardless, you'll have to make up your mind soon, as Toki is already welcoming you inside with a great big smile on his face and arms open wide.

How do you want to play this?
[ ] Offer a considerable amount of food for a guide on cracking the passcode (-100 Food)
[ ] Ask them to do it as a favor (-1 Goodwill. The Dwarves will take the ledger from you for 1 Turn)
-[ ] (Optional) Make them swear an oath to give it back once done (-2 Goodwill)
[ ] Write in a different way

0~0~0

AN: Weirdly short update, my apologies. This is just how it played out on this one.

I'm also planning on moving crafting actions to the research spoiler, to better clean up the actual turn.

No moratorium, short vote. I'd like to get the rest of this turn out today, but I suppose we'll have to see.

(Currently Left Blank Pending Deadman's Return)

Sorry for the delay, had to go get a vaccine, will do.

(Wondrous Work Knife Added to Inventory. This knife grants an additional +1xp to learning Pierce, Slash, and Chop.)

For simplicity, it should probably be double but maybe on fewer of those. Also, does the Beaver Bone Ash do anything?

How do you want to play this?
[ ] Offer a considerable amount of food for a guide on cracking the passcode (-100 Food)
[ ] Ask them to do it as a favor (-1 Goodwill. The Dwarves will take the ledger from you for 1 Turn)
-[ ] (Optional) Make them swear an oath to give it back once done (-2 Goodwill)

Ugh. I have no idea here.

[X] Offer a considerable amount of food for a guide on cracking the passcode (-100 Food)

EDIT:

0~0~0
Continuing work on uncovering the parent style of Time Stands Still
Something you notice, as you focus on your frozen, stuttering breaths, is that the entire Style almost feels... It's difficult to explain, really, but it's almost like it's not yours, like it's something that you inherited.

When you inhale, all is as expected. The air is as crisp as it always is this time of year. The taste of warmth escaping in the face of the coming winter places across your tongue.

When you exhale, though, it's like someone else is breathing for you. The taste is that of iron, hard and uncaring yet ever-there. It presses down on your throat like a mountain of metal.

But, if it's an inherited style, who could you have inherited it from?

That mountain of metal... Perhaps that's the key?

0~0~0

Huh, this is interesting. So, there's a couple options I see for "inherited". It could be something we've inherited by blood, or via right. If it's via blood, then I doubt it's from our dad's side of the family/Blackhand, since we already got Stoker State from them and it would feel a bit redundant. That leaves Asveig's side of the family. Hmmm, @Imperial Fister, what do we know about Asveig's parents? Any famous names associated with metal mountains? I recall us learning something about her having some divine heritage before, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

The other and much less likely possibility, is that we somehow inherited this style from the Lurkalings via the Dwarven Underhouse being on our land. Dwarves are uncaring and would probably have metal mountains somewhere underground. But do Dwarves even have Martial Styles? We can't completely rule it out, but it feels less likely to me based on what we know.

Worth looking for any mentions of metal mountains in Norse and Germanic mythology. Possibly the mountain where Brunhilde was held prisoner? But nothing is coming up on Google, so it might be a NQ-specific thing.

Would offering them one I.O.U. for mercenary work in the future be an acceptable option here? Any particularly annoying lindwyrms they would like to be rid of?

Last edited:
A bunch. We're at, like, 8/10 and can get more for way less than 100 Food per 1 Goodwill. The 100 Food option is a terrible idea.

It's 2 Goodwill, since we need to spend 1 to get their help translating, and then another 1 to actually get it back afterwards.

EDIT: Oooh, ,I've got an idea. The Carbon Powder stuff is valuable to them, right? How about we trade that back to them in exchange for their help cracking it?

Last edited:
I suspect we need an Expirience of a rainbow to put in the burl, to invoke Bifrost.

Given that the burls were assigned to specific destinations, you need to do that somehow. I think an Experience of the destination, carved into or painted onto the burl. Probably not Runes since you activate the spell by breaking the burl.

Are bridges named? A name for the destination might be useful or necessary.

Our first attempt should be for a nearby bridge

(Alright, how?)

It's 2 Goodwill, since we need to spend 1 to get their help translating, and then another 1 to actually get it back afterwards.

We can get 1 Goodwill for a lot less than 50 Food, too.

EDIT: Oooh, ,I've got an idea. The Carbon Powder stuff is valuable to them, right? How about we trade that back to them in exchange for their help cracking it?

This seems viable, yeah. Offering that, and Goodwill if that's not enough, seems workable to me.

Googling "metal mountain" doesn't reveal much. There is a Turkish myth involving melting a metal mountain; there is a connection between our family and Attilah the Hun, and Huns are ancestors of Turks, so there's a tenuous connection there.

There's also the Magnetic Mountain from the 1001 Nights; no idea how that would fit in.

I think that the burl needs to be from an ash tree to connect it to yggdrasil conceptually. Then the experience of the place you want to go is implanted into the burl. The knots of the burl are "knots" in the world tree that allow shortcuts to be taken trough reality.

idk why you need to punch the burl tho.

So, here's the 'offer the strange substance' plan:

[X] Offer the Dwarves the three pots of strange substance found in the Underhouse in exchange for breaking the password and returning it once they are done.
-[X] Be willing to offer Goodwill instead as suggested if that doesn't work.

[X] Offer the Dwarves the three pots of strange substance found in the Underhouse in exchange for breaking the password and returning it once they are done.

For simplicity, it should probably be double but maybe on fewer of those. Also, does the Beaver Bone Ash do anything?
Works for me. Beaver Bone Ash would improve its ability to carve wood. So, like, double bonuses when doing woodwork.
Hmmm, @Imperial Fister, what do we know about Asveig's parents?
Not much. They were relatively normal people who lived relatively normal lives. They were notable for being strong combatants, but that's not especially unique among the Norse.
Worth looking for any mentions of metal mountains in Norse and Germanic mythology. Possibly the mountain where Brunhilde was held prisoner? But nothing is coming up on Google, so it might be a NQ-specific thing.
The metal mountain is an NQ-specific thing, as far as I'm aware. An information action may help you here.

Might be worth talking to Sten about it. He's our brother, and has an incredibly strong affinity to metal, he might have already noticed and tapped into it.

Back