I mean, that makes the possiblity of something Ironjaw related more likely. Blackhand is possible, but would he even had connection to any of this? it doesn't seem like his stuff. do we know who was Steinnar's mother?

it really was good to have Blackhand with us when figuring this out

Hmmm, yeah, perhaps this is Ironjaw's Style?

Or maybe something from deep down in the family tree, one of our other heroic ancestors. I don't think it's the Gotland Style, because if it was, I'm not sure it would function any longer. That Anchor seems to be effectively destroyed, especially given what we saw with Crowfeeder in Steinarr's last battle.

My apologies for that, I was distracted with KeeperRL

No biggie.

It's a finite resource and we're already stretched thin on research avenues. We don't have to solve every mystery.

That's a fair point.

Also I suspect if it was anything that would draw us into conflict with the Dwarves even the slightest amount, the thread would never vote for it due to SV's love of Dwarves.

Winter 10/Dwarf Chat + Book
[X] Offer the Dwarves the three pots of strange substance found in the Underhouse in exchange for breaking the password and returning it once they are done.
-[X] Be willing to offer Goodwill instead as suggested if that doesn't work.
0~0~0

After being tested, welcomed, and then poisoned, you sit across from Toki as you lay your offer out on the large, round, stone-carved table forming a plateau between the two of you. Clearing your throat with a cough, you place your hands upon the table and start talking, "I have some pots of carbon flour that I'm willing to part with in exchange for you to both crack the passcode to this," you lay the ledger-slate upon the table, "and give it back once you are complete."

Toki's brows shoot high on his head as he leans in, a low whistle escaping his lips, "That, my friend, is a fancy ledger indeed. Touch-screen and thin as a finger? Mighty precious indeed." Nodding to himself, he turns back to you with greed in his eye, "One pot to crack it and a second to give it back."

Which leaves you with one, that's a fine bargain! "An acceptable deal," you begin as you reach across the table.

"Struck and sealed," finishes Toki as he accepts your hand.

(Lost the dwarven ledger! You'll get it back on Summer 11/Turn 1)
(-2 Pots of Carbon Flour)
0~0~0
Writing a Book (Wordplay: 17) 17 Successes
With that odd wooden writing-stick in hand, you set to work crafting the book that's haunted your thoughts for years now. After practicing on wax tablets for hundreds of hours, you've managed to refine the layout just enough to fit onto the hundred pages that you've got on hand.

The scritch-scratch of stick-on-parchment fills your ears as you work hard. Day turns to night as the moon turns to sun. Weeks pass in a blur as you take breaks only to water and feed yourself, the only rest you get is the bare minimum required to function.

Abjorn was worried—everyone feared for your sanity—but you brush aside their concerns. They don't understand that if you don't do this now, you'll never do it at all!

But after a month of constant work, you've done it.

Your book—which, on the surface, is 'merely' a guide to life and how to work a farm—is finally complete.

Now all that's left is to find a cover and to name the damn thing.

What do you want to call it?
[ ] The Hallamal
[ ] Write in

0~0~0

AN: Another short update, but I've got to look after the dog so what can you do?

No moratorium, I'll finish this turn up tomorrow

Is there a way to maybe hide the real title on the cover? Like its well known name is Hallamal and then once you've absorbed all the lessons in it you perceive that it's actually called the Book of Odr. I dunno I might be overthinking this

C'mon, guys. It's a book about farming and nobody has suggested a cultivation related name yet? For shame!

[X] The Life of a Cultivator
[X] The Cultivator's Handbook

Last edited:
[X] The Hallamal

This is actually a hilarious bit of wordplay apparently.

Because it's a play on the Havamal--the "Words of Havi", which is a kenning for Odin.

Writing a Book (Wordplay: 17) 17 Successes
With that odd wooden writing-stick in hand, you set to work crafting the book that's haunted your thoughts for years now. After practicing on wax tablets for hundreds of hours, you've managed to refine the layout just enough to fit onto the hundred pages that you've got on hand.

The scritch-scratch of stick-on-parchment fills your ears as you work hard. Day turns to night as the moon turns to sun. Weeks pass in a blur as you take breaks only to water and feed yourself, the only rest you get is the bare minimum required to function.

Abjorn was worried—everyone feared for your sanity—but you brush aside their concerns. They don't understand that if you don't do this now, you'll never do it at all!

But after a month of constant work, you've done it.

Your book—which, on the surface, is 'merely' a guide to life and how to work a farm—is finally complete.

Now all that's left is to find a cover and to name the damn thing.

What do you want to call it?
[ ] The Hallamal
[ ] Write in
How long will it take to copy the book to give away copies?

Nice one! And we still get to keep one of the pots, so my complaining was a bit premature haha.
To be honest, I decided to let you keep one of the pots to soothe your complaining

0~0~0

Also, for those not in the discord, you'll actually have reached a wincon for the Quest as a whole once you put a cover on the book. You'll have the choice to either continue with the current character, end the current character's run and start your next, or end the quest as a whole.

Also, for those not in the discord, you'll actually have reached a wincon for the Quest as a whole once you put a cover on the book. You'll have the choice to either continue with the current character, end the current character's run and start your next, or end the quest as a whole.

For me, I definitely want to head to Vestfold before we end Halla's time as a protagonist. Her pseudo-retiring after that and us moving on to the next heir would be fine with me, but there's too much going on there that I want to play through.

Yeah, I do want to see what you've been cooking for Vestfold at the very least. Then I want to move on to the next heir.

I still want to solve these damned mysteries rather than leave them forever unanswered!

Woohoo! Minimum Good Ending Achieved!

But yeah, I want to play this one out. Get Vestfold and the War Arc done, and then we'll see.

For me, I definitely want to head to Vestfold before we end Halla's time as a protagonist. Her pseudo-retiring after that and us moving on to the next heir would be fine with me, but there's too much going on there that I want to play through.

On a related note, something which occurred to me the other day was... it seems like Halla does not necessarily need to die for us to transfer Blackhand to a new host/bearer?

Case in point being that Blackhand has left our soul right now, and both he and Halla are apparently fine. Halla could absolutely invite him to do the same with one of our children, and go hang out in their soulscapes. Then whichever one he picks in-universe would be the child we vote for as the Quest protagonist out-of-universe. Admittedly, I'm not sure if Blackhand is synonymous with Charred Soul, but I'm also not sure that necessarily matters too much if we're still able to transfer over most of our procedural knowledge of cultivation.

Halla has too many ongoing things to investigate and resolve that I like to see sorted out before I want to move onto a new character.

Back