Practically speaking, yeah, we've stacked the deck decently well, and Farbjorn's Felag joining forces with us just made this something we can do without any Insane Genius Plays, but this is still going to be a tough fight, especially if we're trying to limit collateral.

It seems that IF had upped the available supply of Odr cultivator by a several order of magnitude, we really need to have a discussion with one or the other about their experience, Farbjorn might even be a higher realm.
I think it was always implied that there were probably more Norsemen who'd figured out the basics of Odr than we might imagine. It's just that anyone who tries to spread the secret dies messily and the ones who do have it tend to be forced onto the "live fast die young" track even harder than most other high-performing Norsemen. But then, we've already seen that a lot of Norsemen are quite recalcitrant about their tricks and special advantages, or at least expect others to figure it out by observation rather than spreading their secrets far and wide.

Halla also spent most of her time in a backwater island and a brief stint in Christian land so that's a very tiny percentage of the world map opened to us before this point. It makes sense that the wider world has a lot more Odr cultivators even if they're still pretty rare.

[X] Plan The Element of Surprise Mk. 2.5: Different People For Different Jobs

we need to remember our allies that we should spare the Knights if possible, that is what King Alfred asked.

I suspect that the rituals to make you a Berserk also make it easier to survive Odr initiation.

Given that failed Berserks kind of look like they exploded from over-Odr.

Man, this is more a family reunion than a raid....
"Halla Skyfire," you answer as you step forward and extend a hand, "Abjorn's my husband."

Farbjorn eyes you and your bold hand for a long moment. Taking it, he nods his respect to you, "Farbjorn Bleedingstone," and to your husband. "Abjorn, you're a lucky man."

Abjorn looks like he might pass out.
Lol. Lmao even :D
Guess Abjorn already got a Muna just out of this meeting?

Hm... will we drop that the core family is located in Skane to this newly met relative as well?
On that note, @Imperial Fister he isn't from that branch of the family, is he? just making sure.

"Hey, Blackhand, have any idea if this relative of ours also has a part of you? And if yes, any idea which part of you?"

Force Allocations for this fight:

Our Crew + Farbjorn's Felag: 1 Near Peak, 1 Upper Top, 2 Top, 7 Lower Top, 24 Upper Middle, 24 Middle, 11 Lower Middle, 4 Upper Bottom, Total: 74

The Thanes And Nobles: 3 8th Decade Cultivators (Knight + Horse + Bird, Upper Top to Near Peak?), 1 6th Decade Priest (Lower Top to Top? Hopefully not getting involved), 1 5th Decade Knight (Lower Top? Around there anyway), 1 Norse Warleader (Probably Lower Top or higher, probably our cousin), 1 4th Decade Noble (Upper Middle? A Squire at this Decade would be Lower Top, or could be, but Nobles don't seem quite as badass.), 3 3rd Decade Cultivators (Squire + Horse + Bird, Upper Middle?), 25 Thanes (Upper Middle to Lower Middle, exact numbers unknown...I'll assume 10 Upper, 10 Middle , 5 Lower as a pessimistic assumption), 14 Norsemen (Middle), Total: 48, 49 if the Priest involves himself

So...in terms of people at Lower Top and above, they have 5-6 (depending on the Priest), while we have 11. Three of theirs are stronger than all but 1 or 2 of ours, though, so we exceed them here, but not wildly.

In terms of Upper Middle people, they have 14 to our 24 and look a lot worse without quality to compensate, in terms of Middle they have 24 to our 24, and in terms of Lower Middle or less they have 5 to our 15 (some of ours are a little lower quality, but only 4 of them). So they're pretty significantly outnumbered, but not by the 2 to 1 we'd prefer (more like 3 to 2). Hopefully Heima and company coming in the back way throws them for a loop or we convince them to come out to meet us outside the fortifications or both.

Last edited:
How about we taken the noble as a hostage, and demand that the enermy force surrender or the noble will die.

I don't know how viable this is with what was requested of us, though I suppose the humiliation of capture and having everything he owns stolen might qualify as making an example? Hmmm. We definitely shouldn't take risks just to keep the Noble alive...I'm also not sure of the fealty relationships here and who would actually stand down. That said, adding it as a conditional possibility seems potentially viable.

What do other people think about adding that as a possibility to Heima and his squad?

Last edited:
I don't know how viable this is with what was requested of us, though I suppose the humilaition of capture and having everything he owns stolen might qualify as making an example? Hmmm. We definitely shouldn't take risks just to keep the Noble alive...I'm also not sure of the fealty relationships here and who would actually stand down. That said, adding it as a conditional possibility seems potentially viable.

What do other people think about adding that as a possibility to Heima and his squad?
It doesn't work.

Our contract includes killing the Noble. We can't make any guarantees against his life because we said we would kill him.

A bunch of vikings ransacking a noble's castle and taking them captive before demanding ransom sounds like a pretty good example of why the taxes should be paid. It could also make the whole escapade seem less suspicious. Afterall vikings are known for taking captives instead of butchering the occupants wholesale. Alfred could even use the ransom as a cover for paying for the work we did.

Is there a way we could ask Alfred about what he thinks of such a plan?

A bunch of vikings ransacking a noble's castle and taking them captive before demanding ransom sounds like a pretty good example of why the taxes should be paid. It could also make the whole escapade seem less suspicious. Afterall vikings are known for taking captives instead of butchering the occupants wholesale. Alfred could even use the ransom as a cover for paying for the work we did.

Is there a way we could ask Alfred about what he thinks of such a plan?

I like this idea, it feels more memorable than just killing everybody.

And remember, with Norse Cultivation we are making our own Saga, more memorable are our deeds more Orthstirr and other bonuses we gain.

The issue with demanding ransom is who we demand it of? Alfred has already paid us and prefers this guy dead, so we'd have to find someone else to pay. Taking him captive, forcing a surrender and looting the place is viable if we think Alfred would be okay with that, but ransoming him is not practical.

I'm down for the take him captive plan if other people are and Alfred wouldn't object, though.

Hmmm. @Imperial Fister did we get any insight into what Alfred meant by 'make an example of'? Would capturing the Noble, humiliating him, and taking everything that isn't nailed down be enough or would he need to die?

Oh dang i didn't realise that he had already paid us. Well we could call it a bonus for work well done.
More seriously, his fief would likely pay for the ransom if the king did not.

We are on a bit of a time limit. And we'd need to go to France for that.
True.
I'd still argue for attempting to capture him. Having "try to take the noble alive if it seems convinient" as a tertiary objective doesn't really close any doors and it will open many more. even if some of them might be of dubious value.

My thinking is based around the idea that taking the noble alive would not be a great cost to the plan but i am not certain of that. How would trying to take him affect the plan?

True.
I'd still argue for attempting to capture him. Having "try to take the noble alive if it seems convinient" as a tertiary objective doesn't really close any doors and it will open many more. even if some of them might be of dubious value.

My thinking is based around the idea that taking the noble alive would not be a great cost to the plan but i am not certain of that. How would trying to take him affect the plan?

It's fine with the plan as long as it's not mandated just an 'if you can' kinda thing. I'll add it if Imperial Fister responds to the question about Alfred with something that doesn't involve him wanting that guy dead for sure. But I'm not adding it until then because my impression was very much that Alfred wanted that guy dead for sure and he's the one who hired us.

'Make an example' is a somewhat ambiguous phrase that makes me think 'kill him', but one Halla should be in a better position to get a read on the meaning of than we the Questers are (she heard the tone it was spoken in, for one thing).

Last edited:
Back