Magical Girl Escalation Taylor (Worm/Nanoha)

From what I remember, a lot of the times we did social hang outs we either had an ulterior motive besides hanging out, or it was enforced by GM. At least until we got dedicated social slots, It hink. I might be misremembering it though, so would appreciate if someone corrected me.

There has been a strong pro-Vista faction from the very beginning, or close to it. The first omake to be made canon of Vista squeeing over CW and Samantha may be what pushed so many people to flock to her. The more we saw Vista, the more we wanted to see more: the mathematics of emotional investment ensured that our connections to her ever grew. That there isn't an anti-Vista faction that I've seen in any of the Worm fics and quests I've read* likely contributed to people not voting to tell her to go *bleep* herself as happened with Tattletale.

*While this story was my first introduction to Worm, I've read quite a few since then. Pretty much the only advantage to being disabled is how much time I have available to read.

Solar Wrath, Temporal Sludge, and WAS are all advanced spells, which means Taylor will never use them on her own. Unless you vote to use these abilities, she will rely on her bread-and-butter Flare Shooter, Strong Shield, and occasionally Rust Shooter.

I know it's EXTREMELY late to bring this up, but WHY?! What's the point learning and training all those spells if the writer basically ignores them without explicit instructions? That seems to totally invalidate the whole point. It's like writing a story about a high-level D&D wizard who only uses his at-will spells unless someone nudges him and reminds him that he has Meteor Swarm available.

The second is the edge of the sea bottom, beyond which all you can see is a darkening blue.

If you go below 200 meters there's very little light. 1000 meters and it's totally dark. The average depth of the Atlantic Ocean is over 3300 meters. Unless Taylor was on some sort of undersea ridge or mountain range, she shouldn't be able to see the bottom at all without using magic.

"Your partner… has a thing for your dad?"

So... beastiality? Umm... really?

maybe it's because Samantha is someone you created, but her obvious desire for your dad is extremely off-putting sometimes.

YUUUUP!

"And it doesn't help that she's a raccoon. I mean, I know she's really a person," she adds hastily, "but she's a raccoon."

Which makes anything like that basically illegal!

Cailleach is holding back her own contributions. She likely does not want to give the Protectorate even that much of a clue about her identity.
You turn to find Kayleigh running towards you.

I think the name is a pretty big clue!

The only reason you aren't classified as a Blaster 9 is that we tend to be little more cautious with the nines when dealing with ranged attackers, particularly our allies." He gives you a tight smile. "Nearly any threat rating of a nine technically calls for inter-city ballistic missiles to take down, but the only time that protocol has actually been used was for a Shaker 9 in Iowa.

And 9 is also EXTREMELY high given what she's demonstrated. Purity is a Blaster 8 and she's annihilated buildings with single shots. Taylor hasn't done so yet.

we had no choice but to mark both of you down as Mover 10s.

Again, way too high.

Blaster 8*, which was really just a Blaster 9 or 10 who happened to be a hero. Mover 10. Shaker 6. Brute 5. Any one of those could be a problem under the right circumstances, but together they made for a cape who could compete with the entire Triumvirate at their prime and have a good chance of winning.

And yet she got stopped cold by the Dragonslayers. Who are basically wimps in the setting. Sure, they hard-counter Dragon, but other than that they are jokes.

It is, however, the first time they have moved so blatantly during an Endbringer fight.

That's because breaking the Endbringer Truce like that tends to get the Triumvirate stomping you to jelly. I don't know much about MS-13 by this point in the story since they've barely been involved, but this seems really stupid.

They've completely thrown the Unwritten Rules out the window.

And hopefully they'll reap the results of that.

I know it's EXTREMELY late to bring this up, but WHY?! What's the point learning and training all those spells if the writer basically ignores them without explicit instructions? That seems to totally invalidate the whole point. It's like writing a story about a high-level D&D wizard who only uses his at-will spells unless someone nudges him and reminds him that he has Meteor Swarm available.
Because it's a quest, and he's saying he's not going to drain Taylor or have her do particularly reckless things to the environment unless we include it. It isn't a major problem.
Human-appearing, for the most part. And meaningless. The actual problem with bestiality is they are not capable of truly consenting, due to (as far as we know) a lack of sapience. If they are sapient... well, why should we care?
And yet she got stopped cold by the Dragonslayers. Who are basically wimps in the setting. Sure, they hard-counter Dragon, but other than that they are jokes.
Taylor holds back a lot, because she could level cities and knows it. And we know it too.

Last edited:
And 9 is also EXTREMELY high given what she's demonstrated. Purity is a Blaster 8 and she's annihilated buildings with single shots. Taylor hasn't done so yet.
You may want to re-read Escapades. Taylor obliterates not simply a building but the building she uses for cover, the strip mall that was her target, and the buildings behind that:
In hindsight, you decide as you stare speechlessly at the scene before you, you might have underestimated how much damage that spell could do.

The building you chose to use as cover has a massive swath cut though it, and while Solar Wrath was still ongoing the top of the building collapsed and was likewise destroyed. The buildings behind the strip mall are both gone, as are those behind and to the sides of them. And the store itself? Like everything else the most powerful of your attack spells touched, it is not even rubble. When the spell hit Fenja's invulnerable legs, it did not stop so much as scatter, vaporizing anything it touched and melting what was outside its reach.

Again, way too high.
Not really. Taylor had already demonstrated supersonic flight and interstate teleportation by this point. There is no feasible way to contain her and that is what Mover 10 represents.

Not really. Taylor fought them for all of thirty seconds, and not really that seriously since she was drawing things out to make their mage suffer, until Sam teleported in and got KO'd at which point she dropped everything and focused on Sam. If it wasn't for Sam flubbing her attack we'd have crushed them in that initial encounter.

Taylor obliterates not simply a building but the building she uses for cover, the strip mall that was her target, and the buildings behind that:

Huh... I guess I did forget some of those details. I remembered it as her cutting holes in some buildings, but not blasting them down entirely. I guess I think of Solar Wrath as a "beam" attack, not a "blast" attack, so very directional. Whereas Purity shoots "explosive lasers" like in the movies. I guess I'm wrong on that one. Objection withdrawn, Blaster 9-10 it is. That's the kind of shit that Legend does.

Huh... I guess I did forget some of those details. I remembered it as her cutting holes in some buildings, but not blasting them down entirely. I guess I think of Solar Wrath as a "beam" attack, not a "blast" attack, so very directional. Whereas Purity shoots "explosive lasers" like in the movies. I guess I'm wrong on that one. Objection withdrawn, Blaster 9-10 it is. That's the kind of shit that Legend does.
It is a beam, but it's a beam that erases everything in its path of fire. It was wide enough it simply destroyed their supports and all the buildings came down.

We determine tactics by vote. Only in those votes does it matter which spells we use. This is not about requiring the players to remind the author about those abilities, but to put the onus on us to come up with good ways to use them. Part of the issue is also that we often omit important details in our plans or word them poorly, so the QM has to interpret what we're voting on without holding the players' hands and trying to clarify every little detail.

If you go below 200 meters there's very little light. 1000 meters and it's totally dark. The average depth of the Atlantic Ocean is over 3300 meters. Unless Taylor was on some sort of undersea ridge or mountain range, she shouldn't be able to see the bottom at all without using magic.

It's called the continental shelf, though PS has shown that it can somewhat enhance our senses when needed, too. I don't feel like looking up the depth of the continental shelf right now, but the description places the ship at that point, which really does look like a giant undersea cliff.

When Perfect Storm was shaping Sam's personality, he sought a replacement mother figure for Taylor, to cover some of her emotional needs as well as her physical safety.

Entirely the point.

Which makes anything like that basically illegal!

Legally speaking, even though she is a created sapient being, she qualifies in all legal matters as a human. How that will change in the upcoming years, as knowledge of familiars/GB spreads cannot be said, but at present trying to make her dating a human illegal would bring tremendous backlash from the case 53s running around, and those who support them.

I think the name is a pretty big clue!

Many people thought so. SW didn't think they were at all similar thanks to the Gaelic/Welsh(I don't recall which) word being pronounced very differently.

Two words: homing bullets. CW's attacks at that point had not proven her dangerous enough to rate that high on pure firepower, but the sheer flexibility of the attacks and the ability to control them and even to have them keep jumping targets every time Oni Lee teleported result in a higher rating. Of course, the skills we have since added would put us over blaster 10 to 11 or 12 once they find out we can throw nukes on command. They don't know we're limited to only a few uses before we kill ourselves yet, either.

Again, way too high.

Teleportation and the ability to create a pocket reality in the form of RF, plus having supersonic flight, would allow us to jump around the world destroying whatever we wanted to, on a nearly unstoppable rampage, so, yes, we warrant a 10. Again, knowing about interdimensional travel and that we can reach other planets could bring that number up above 10, as we're kind of breaking the scale they use for these things. Parahumans in Worm have very little in the way of mover abilities compared to most other superhero settings.

"Stomped on"? We didn't engage them more directly because we were still recovering from a serious concussion, learned more about what it would take to disable power armor in the future, and were surprised by them having magic at all, even if the only spell they used was a barrier. They got in, hacked the suit, and got back out quickly enough that we didn't have a chance to reassess our strategy.

That's because breaking the Endbringer Truce like that tends to get the Triumvirate stomping you to jelly. I don't know much about MS-13 by this point in the story since they've barely been involved, but this seems really stupid.

As came up over and over, the Dragonslayers entering an unoccupied building that didn't house anything cape related(though they thought otherwise), and as non-capes themselves, did not qualify as breaking the Endbringer truce.

As CW pointed out when RF ended and the mall was still leveled --I did not look to find the exact quote-- basically, "That building was destroyed. The mall I hit was MELTED". It wasn't just destruction, it was destruction hot enough to melt bricks, metal reinforcements, and sheetrock.

Last edited:
There has been a strong pro-Vista faction from the very beginning, or close to it. The first omake to be made canon of Vista squeeing over CW and Samantha may be what pushed so many people to flock to her. The more we saw Vista, the more we wanted to see more: the mathematics of emotional investment ensured that our connections to her ever grew. That there isn't an anti-Vista faction that I've seen in any of the Worm fics and quests I've read* likely contributed to people not voting to tell her to go *bleep* herself as happened with Tattletale.

*While this story was my first introduction to Worm, I've read quite a few since then. Pretty much the only advantage to being disabled is how much time I have available to read.
The opposite is important, because almost every significant character in Worm has a significant anti-fandom.
Tattletale has one of the biggest, fueled further by the existence of a signfiicant fandom.

And thus it becomes a contest of who can steer Tattletale into a hole the other can't undo first.
Vista is one of the few, along with Doctor Yamada, Legend, and Dragon, who have no anti-fandom.

Vista is one of the few, along with Doctor Yamada, Legend, and Dragon, who have no anti-fandom.
Almost no anti-fandom. A lot of people still consider that Legend is largely to blame for Cauldron being how they are due to willful ignorance. And I'm pretty sure there are also a bunch of people who dislike the other two as well, but, to be granted, all three of these are much smaller.

Dragon has a small anti-fandom, usually a smaller subset of the Miss Militia anti-fandom who blame her for not doing anything, even though she's hard coded to not be able to do the thing.

As Destiny said, Legend gets some flack for not digging into the dark backstory of the conspiracy that's trying to save the world.

Doctor Yamada anti-fans mostly get annoyed when she's used to show up and go "Oh look, I've cured everyone's deep dark psychological issues" (which is pretty rare, but she gets some hate for it)

Vista... I don't think I've seen an anti-fan of Vista, most of the hate surrounding her is on her behalf at being nerfed to uselessness by PR, being trumped at all corners, or the writer not using her powers creatively enough.
Edit: There have been a few anti-fans I can think of, but they're story specific (Pretty sure she accrued some anti-fans in Ring Maker before I missed a few updates and haven't tried catching up)

Last edited:
Dragon's done us a lot of favors

Like what? She put Taylor through a lot of hoops to "prove" that magic's real. She helped out with the undersea dive, though that was mostly for her own curiosity as well and her help didn't really amount to much. But as far as I can recall, that's about it. Everyone loves Dragon, sure, but she hasn't actually done much in this story, at least up the point I've completed (end of Arc 8).

Legally speaking, even though she is a created sapient being, she qualifies in all legal matters as a human.

Not sure that's true, but it's still gross either way.

We determine tactics by vote. Only in those votes does it matter which spells we use. This is not about requiring the players to remind the author about those abilities, but to put the onus on us to come up with good ways to use them.
They got in, hacked the suit, and got back out quickly enough that we didn't have a chance to reassess our strategy.

And this right here is what I'm talking about. Most of every fight tends to be "wing it", which results in lots of flare shooters and shields. Over and over and over and over. Spice very rarely with something heavier or a utility spell. But this is because no matter how frequently the votes happen, it's usually not more than once per fight. Honestly, it would be clunky if there were a vote every 30 seconds of a fight.
But that means that the author doesn't give time to reassess anything, and since that time is not allowed, and since nothing is used without permission, it's always the same.

I really loved the early arcs in this, but it seems to have plateaued. Not much progress has been made in 3-4 entire arcs. The first few were about learning the bread-and-butter spells, but after that not much changed. Sure, a lot more spells are KNOWN (and trained), but they're never used. It would make more sense, to me anyway, that once a spell is mastered it becomes part of the general repertoire and used WITHOUT explicit permission/request. That would give some incentive to master spells, and make an actual difference to everyday tactics.

As it is... even by arc 8 things are getting stale. Danny went the way Danny always does (barely there, mostly useless, then written out), and because of that the Privateers are not all that relevant to the story. Spell selection and training was the main gauge of Taylor's progress, but due to the issues mentioned above that progress appears stalled. The stuff with magic-Tinker seems a sideline at best, since he has very little impact on the story. I'd love it if this stayed as interesting as the first few arcs, but it hasn't. Perhaps the training went too quickly and there's nowhere else to go. Or perhaps the quest format needs to change a little to accommodate more variety. Or maybe I should just bow out while I still enjoy the story, before the sameyness of each fight gets on my nerves too much.

As came up over and over, the Dragonslayers entering

This wasn't about the Dragonslayers. It was about MS-13 attacking during an Endbringer truce. Which turns out to actually be the Privateers attacking, and there really should be some consequence to it, unpowered mooks or not.

Maybe read through the next few arcs? Several of the things you mentioned are developed right after where you left off.
Not much progress has been made in 3-4 entire arcs. The first few were about learning the bread-and-butter spells, but after that not much changed. Sure, a lot more spells are KNOWN (and trained), but they're never used. It would make more sense, to me anyway, that once a spell is mastered it becomes part of the general repertoire and used WITHOUT explicit permission/request. That would give some incentive to master spells, and make an actual difference to everyday tactics.
Sadly, that's what you have to deal with when you play a quest rather than a tabletop RPG.

Like what? She put Taylor through a lot of hoops to "prove" that magic's real. She helped out with the undersea dive, though that was mostly for her own curiosity as well and her help didn't really amount to much. But as far as I can recall, that's about it. Everyone loves Dragon, sure, but she hasn't actually done much in this story, at least up the point I've completed (end of Arc 8).

Not sure that's true, but it's still gross either way.

And this right here is what I'm talking about. Most of every fight tends to be "wing it", which results in lots of flare shooters and shields. Over and over and over and over. Spice very rarely with something heavier or a utility spell. But this is because no matter how frequently the votes happen, it's usually not more than once per fight. Honestly, it would be clunky if there were a vote every 30 seconds of a fight.
But that means that the author doesn't give time to reassess anything, and since that time is not allowed, and since nothing is used without permission, it's always the same.

I really loved the early arcs in this, but it seems to have plateaued. Not much progress has been made in 3-4 entire arcs. The first few were about learning the bread-and-butter spells, but after that not much changed. Sure, a lot more spells are KNOWN (and trained), but they're never used. It would make more sense, to me anyway, that once a spell is mastered it becomes part of the general repertoire and used WITHOUT explicit permission/request. That would give some incentive to master spells, and make an actual difference to everyday tactics.

As it is... even by arc 8 things are getting stale. Danny went the way Danny always does (barely there, mostly useless, then written out), and because of that the Privateers are not all that relevant to the story. Spell selection and training was the main gauge of Taylor's progress, but due to the issues mentioned above that progress appears stalled. The stuff with magic-Tinker seems a sideline at best, since he has very little impact on the story. I'd love it if this stayed as interesting as the first few arcs, but it hasn't. Perhaps the training went too quickly and there's nowhere else to go. Or perhaps the quest format needs to change a little to accommodate more variety. Or maybe I should just bow out while I still enjoy the story, before the sameyness of each fight gets on my nerves too much.

This wasn't about the Dragonslayers. It was about MS-13 attacking during an Endbringer truce. Which turns out to actually be the Privateers attacking, and there really should be some consequence to it, unpowered mooks or not.

If it helps, more and more other spells get used over the coming arcs, though the arcs have also slowed down to let us accomplish both adventuring and socializing. Without being under so much pressure to get the immediate matters under control at the expense of other plot lines, there's been room for a bit more variety. If the pacing of this quest bothers you, but you like the writing style, I suggest you check out SW's other stories. The Black Queen's War is one really good example.

Sadly, that's what you have to deal with when you play a quest rather than a tabletop RPG.

This is the first one I've read this far into. Are you saying it's just the nature of the beast that eventually all quests slow down under their own weight? Or am I misunderstanding?

If it helps, more and more other spells get used over the coming arcs

It does, actually. Thanks for letting me know.

Without being under so much pressure to get the immediate matters under control at the expense of other plot lines, there's been room for a bit more variety.

Ah, OK. More variety is good, so that's good to hear.

I suggest you check out SW's other stories. The Black Queen's War is one really good example.

Oh, I have. That series is amazing. I originally read this on FFN after reading SW's other stuff, but then saw that there are quite a few more chapters on this site.

This is the first one I've read this far into. Are you saying it's just the nature of the beast that eventually all quests slow down under their own weight? Or am I misunderstanding?

All quests have a tradeoff between pace and the frequency of player input. Players need to specify a plan for combat, and it can't take into account anything that happens within the update it's executed in. So we have to plan ahead, guess what sort of stuff we're about to encounter, and give guidelines about what tactics and spells to use.

It takes work and courage to pare down rules and streamline things so that additional content doesn't slow things down too much. (And a keen eye to employ the courage effectively, as Apple showed with its headphone jack.)

Any time people, capes or not, start bringing guns into play, the situation becomes that much more unstable.

Of all people, the absolute last person to be moralizing on this is Miss Militia, whose name, power, and combat style all revolve around bringing guns into play. It's what she does. It's just about all she does. And yet when anyone else does it she gets judgmental about it?

If there are reports of the Privateers moving out, we will have to treat them as villains.

About damned time!

Brute-rated synthetic musculature (upper left torso)" added to Vista's armory.

It doesn't appear that the story has covered this, but Vista is 13. She's probably growing really fast. Yet they've just put synthetic muscles (and presumably bones) into her, and she has a prosthetic arm sized for a 13-year-old. Is Shipright going to have to keep doing monthly surgeries on her to adjust everything as she grows? Or is it all just being handwaved away somehow? Because synthetics tend NOT to grow and change on their own.

It doesn't appear that the story has covered this, but Vista is 13. She's probably growing really fast. Yet they've just put synthetic muscles (and presumably bones) into her, and she has a prosthetic arm sized for a 13-year-old. Is Shipright going to have to keep doing monthly surgeries on her to adjust everything as she grows? Or is it all just being handwaved away somehow? Because synthetics tend NOT to grow and change on their own.
According to Silently Watches Vista is basically done growing:
She's thirteen, fourteen in a few months. Not twelve. That means she's basically already hit her full adult size.
Guys will still have growth spurts between sixteen and eighteen years of age, but most girls hit their final growth (for height, anyway) in the thirteen to fourteen range.
so it isn't actually much of a concern.

Of all people, the absolute last person to be moralizing on this is Miss Militia, whose name, power, and combat style all revolve around bringing guns into play. It's what she does. It's just about all she does. And yet when anyone else does it she gets judgmental about it?
Miss Militia gets a pass for a simple reason. She uses rubber bullets until lethal force is needed, so despite wielding guns, she isn't escalating the conflict. And as someone who has to be pretty carefull with this stuff or else risk Bad Time, she does deserve the moral high ground here.

Miss Militia gets a pass for a simple reason. She uses rubber bullets until lethal force is needed, so despite wielding guns, she isn't escalating the conflict. And as someone who has to be pretty carefull with this stuff or else risk Bad Time, she does deserve the moral high ground here.
We also need to consider that Miss Militia is old. Seriously the only Capes with known trigger dates before Miss Militia are Glaistig Uaine and Vikare neither of which are relevant anymore. She was one of the original Wards meaning she has a around twenty years of history as a hero.

Basically what I'm saying here is that Miss Militia would have started out before all the modern day conventions were really established, probably around the time Vikare was killed, and by the time rules such as "no guns" became commonplace and accepted she would have already been a veteran and her usage of firearms known and accepted.

In short: Miss Militia's usage of firearms is grandfathered in due to her long history of acceptable usage. It isn't fair but it is how people operate.

Not once in this story has she used rubber bullets. But she's used CANNONS more than once. She's used assault rifles repeatedly. Hell, she used a flamethrower on live people. I'm pretty sure, at least as far as I've read, that she hasn't even once gone non-lethal in this story. Granted, she's mostly seen fighting disposable minions rather than people, but even when fighting actual humans, or "putting down" capes, she's gone with lethal weaponry. She didn't even shoot the capes in the cave system before setting the whole place on fire; she burned them to death.

And even if she did, even if she has a 20-year history of using guns, that STILL doesn't give her the right to tell anyone else not to. At the absolute most it gives her the right to say, "Let me show you how to do this as low-key and non-lethal as possible." If literally anyone else said "Don't use guns" and Miss Militia was pointed to as an example of someone who does, THEN maybe that argument that she's grandfathered in blah blah makes sense, but not if she's the one saying it. That's hypocritical to the extreme. It's like Velocity telling people not to run in traffic, or Triumph calling someone out on yelling.

Last edited:
the absolute last person to be moralizing

Miss Militia was not saying "Guns are bad. Good people don't use guns". That would be stupid.

What she actually said was
Any time people, capes or not, start bringing guns into play, the situation becomes that much more unstable. Everybody fears being shot and killed, Brutes excluded, and when fear of death is brought to the surface, people aren't as careful as they normally are. When those people are capes, less care turns into more collateral damage.
I.e., "If you use guns, you need to know when and how to use them and not to use them. Otherwise you will just make things worse". As someone whose power is literally 'ALL the guns', this is something she is very well aware of and has spent a lot of time training in, both on the actual shooting side as well as the PR side.

As for
Not once in this story has she used rubber bullets. But she's used CANNONS more than once. She's used assault rifles repeatedly. Hell, she used a flamethrower on live people. I'm pretty sure, at least as far as I've read, that she hasn't even once gone non-lethal in this story. Granted, she's mostly seen fighting disposable minions rather than people, but even when fighting actual humans, or "putting down" capes, she's gone with lethal weaponry. She didn't even shoot the capes in the cave system before setting the whole place on fire; she burned them to death.
She used rubber bullets when fighting MS-13 in 6.11 and 8.14. It wasn't mentioned in-story because how would Taylor know what ammo she had loaded? Otherwise, the only times you have seen her fighting has been against Typhon's creations (which didn't take long before it became obvious they were a bio-Tinker's minions, not sophonts, and could not be reasoned with), mercy-killing the capes he captured (which if you read the description again, were in states that should have killed them already, not to mention the need to make sure nothing of Typhon survived), and Empire Eighty-Eight post Simurgh (where they all had a kill order as a result of breaking out of a containment zone).

BTW, the second quote of yours? That was moralizing.

'Listen to people when they know more about the current subject than you do.'

That works when they say things like "Don't stick your hand in the fire. I did, and it hurts." It doesn't work when someone says, "Don't use guns because they escalate situations; I've been using guns for 20 years, so I know." And to the OP, the MS-13 would also have no idea that she's using rubber bullets. They'd see a cape with a machine gun shooting them AFTER blasting their base with a cannon, which is exactly the escalation she's trying to get someone else not to do. You can't say "Taylor wouldn't have known they were rubber" without also applying it to the people she was shooting at as well.

Back