Magical Girl Escalation Taylor (Worm/Nanoha)

Familiars and Iron Defenders
You can thank @kamkong for this nonsense. :mad: We've talked about Guardian Beasts. Let's fall farther down that particular rabbit hole.

FAMILIARS
While Guardian Beasts are literally created to participate in war, they are not the sole means of uplifting animals into companions. They are instead a specific subset of Familiars.

The creation process for a Familiar is all but identical to that for a Guardian Beast, but after that things are different. A Familiar will only know one spell to start, and it will accumulate XP and learn spells just as a mage would.

Familiars can know 5 skills, all of them from the Modification or Basic tier unless they choose to specialize in tech skills or rituals.

IRON DEFENDERS
This will either go well or impossibly bad.

By some horrible quirk of miscast magic or just a poor understanding of the principles of Familiars, it is possible for a similar ritual to be used on an autonomous "smart" gadget. Like a Roomba. This will transform it into an animalistic manatech machine with its own spell list. There are restrictions about what kinds of machines can be used for this experiment: it has to be completely autonomous, not permanently affixed to another machine or a person (which means prothetics are off the table because I apparently have to make that clear :confused: ), and it has to be roughly the size of a pet mammal. No nanites or Dragonsuits need apply.

Defenders start with one spell and learn more through XP accruement to a maximum of 4 spells. It cannot learn tech skills or rituals. As a bonus, if the first spell is in some way related to its original function, that spell can be an Advanced tier spell rather than a Basic spell. All other spells must be of Modification or Basic tier.

Considering the prevalence of Tinkertech and Tinker-based technology, there are likely more of such gadgets on Earth Bet than in the real world. Manatech is also an option. Just don't go nuts, okay? Please?

After the Iron Defender is created, the original spell can be upgraded to the Advanced tier Silver Defender spell. This gives the Iron Defender an android form. While lifelike, do not expect it to pass for a human except under the most casual inspection.

D-rank mages can learn both of these spells, but due to their weaker Linker Cores, the maximum number of spells their Familiar or Defender knows will be reduced by 1.

INCREDIBLY MEGA IMPORTANT: Guardian Beasts, Familiars, and Defenders all serve the same niche. There are therefore mutually exclusive, and a given character can only know one of these spells.

Last edited:
Actually, I take that back. It would be more like a strange mix of a Familiar (put together their spell lists rather than coming as part of a set) and a Champion Summon (in that it will have an innate skill). I'll even make the innate skill an advanced tier so long as it is in some way related to the function of the original machine; since this is so strange to wrap my head around, I'll probably give you guys a decent amount of latitude in just how related it is. E.g., in your example you said use a Roomba. Singularity has a suck function, so that would be an option.
So...you'd basically be making a transformer? Or KITT?

You can thank @kamkong for this nonsense. :mad:
Happy to help!!!:p In all honesty, I was not expecting such a great response to what was almost a joke, but I love where it went.
Okay, going through the list of Tinkers who this would work on if they were mages. Armsmaster would have to pick which of his halberds he'd convert. Or perhaps his motorcycle. If Bonesaw is a mage, one of her spider robots would be ideal. If kid Win was still alive, his hoverboard would have been my choice. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Happy to help!!!:p In all honesty, I was not expecting such a great response to what was almost a joke, but I love where it went.
Okay, going through the list of Tinkers who this would work on if they were mages. Armsmaster would have to pick which of his halberds he'd convert. Or perhaps his motorcycle. If Bonesaw is a mage, one of her spider robots would be ideal. If kid Win was still alive, his hoverboard would have been my choice. Any other ideas?
Is Armsmaster still alive?

It's like one of David Bowie's Diamond Dogs from Venture Bros But no talking cars which makes sense. What's the upper limit on pet? Smaller than horse? St Bernard upper limit sounds reasonable?
I suppose. Worth noting that they CAN talk and have independent thoughts. Be hard for them to be analogues of GBs/Familiars if they couldn't.

Horses are right there at the upper level of what's allowable.

So, I'm thinking with this Kayleigh can still get herself a GB of the Gear(see no reason for the other options here, we just need the tech stuff), Missy can make Zeus her Familiar(and get a partner that grows with her), and we could try out a Defender with Laura.
The only question would be what kind of machine to use with her if we do. Maybe an Ice Machine?

L33t and his Snitch seems a pretty obvious choice.
Chariot also had a hoverboard right?
Squealer would make a tiny truck for this.
A hoverboard is too dumb to use (I mean the device itself, not your idea), and the tiny truck is both too big and also too dumb unless it was one with the automatic start or self-driving/self-correcting. You can't use just any tech; it needs to have some kind of computer that is programmed to do stuff on its own or at least can have its programming altered by the user. Again, the Roomba is a great example.

The Snitch would work, but Leet is dead.

Current possibilities I can think of.
One of the drones from "things Tim can build list" would probably be a good start.
An automated assembly arm from Dragon's factory.
Motorcycle with an AI.
Oh God, I don't even want to think about what kind of spell this thing would get. Eeurgh🤢

"Laura, why did you give our lawn sprinkler system sapience???"
Laura, I don't in theory mind having some smart appliances, but I do mind being called an idiot by the toaster.
Actually, I take that back. It would be more like a strange mix of a Familiar (put together their spell lists rather than coming as part of a set) and a Champion Summon (in that it will have an innate skill). I'll even make the innate skill an advanced tier so long as it is in some way related to the function of the original machine; since this is so strange to wrap my head around, I'll probably give you guys a decent amount of latitude in just how related it is. E.g., in your example you said use a Roomba. Singularity has a suck function, so that would be an option.
Can I hope we name this Roomba Iron Guardian "Monica"?

Back