Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Very interesting! It fleshed out more about Li Suyin and told us abut what the Production students are doing.

...Can someone remind me who Du Feng was?

Furthermore, it has given us, the readers, out of character knowledge on things Li Suyin is keeping from a secret from Ling Qi.
On one hand ,I like her project, and I think it might work well as a surprise, saving-the-day moment when we really need it. Plus it's good to know Li Suyin has her own resources to protect herself, and is not defenseless or reliant on Ling Qi anymore. Every time we see her, she's grown stronger and more self-sufficient, which is good.

On the other hand... she IS keeping things secret from us. I feel like she's not the only one that is starting to close themselves to us, putting on distance and not telling us about themselves. It's worrying to see her lack of self-esteem is still warping her view of the things that happen around herself. This whole thing reminds me that we have to invest time on re-connecting more with Li Suyin, in a more personal level, more than just in a "power level progression/adventuring together" level.

Could we invite her sometime to have a bath together like we usd to do with Xiulan?
Du Feng is... not somebody Ling Qi actually knows. He is a crafting student that ranked higher than Li Suyin in the crafting competition, but it seems that Li Suyin and him have worked together for some time now. He is currently ranked 820 in the inner sect. Other than that, we know he helped Li Suyin craft a beautiful dress. And appears to fancy her.

As for her keeping secrets from us. It's perfectly normal. Meizhen keeps secrets from us, we keep secrets from our friends, and so on. The keeping of secrets simply because your embarrassed by them isn't of particular concern to me.

I do agree though that more activities with Li Suyin would be fun. I've been partial to the idea of having her over to Ling Qi's house to give our mother some practice with hosting cultivators. Maybe arrange a time where Su Ling and Li Suyin can meet up and have tea or lunch at our house or something. It would be nice.

You've gotten into green by the age of 15, which likely means you'll fully breakthrough in time to become a noble.

Just need either as per HJ in the previous thread.

"If you do not already have a clan affiliation, achieving Green Soul or Bronze Physique before the age of twenty earns you a writ granting the right to own a manor and start a clan once your service is over. It's essentially the lowest title, even if you have to negotiate with the province governors of wherever you settle to finalize the status. I don't think you're going to have any trouble with that,"

Year 43 week 16. I know 20 got changed to 17 but I don't think the requirement changed to a full breakthrough to 3rd realm.

So Li Suyin got an art from a spirit comparable to Zeqing. In fact, it says arts which implies multiple. While the potency and quality of the arts may not be FSS level, given how FSS seemed to tie into Zeqing's very nature as a spirit, that is still a big deal and implies a longer-term relationship than a simple request for a spirit. If Li Suyin can establish a proper healthy relationship with Zhenli's broodmother for further instruction and materials, plus the corrupted caverns she has nearly sole access to for 10 years, Li Suyin is going to go far in the sect. I would not be surprised, if Li Suyin keeps this up, should she makes it into the core sect.

There is some huge potential for Li Suyin here at the Argent Sect, and I'm excited to see where it goes!

I've been saying for a while that some of our children could very well be tutored in Spiritual Cultivation by Elder Li

Yes," Du Feng said idly cracking his knuckles as he glanced out the back of the wagon as well. "Are you still comfortable in your gown?"

Li Suyin was glad that there was no one else here, or she might have been embarrassed. However, the normally inappropriate question was only fair, since it had been a joint project. She glanced down at the flowing silk of her new gown, pale lilac with highlights of darker pink and purple. The glimmering hints of silvery filaments barely visible in the gowns resting state. She pulsed her qi and they twitched, sending a shimmering, hypnotic ripple through the silk. "Very much so, the wire has not chafed at all, it is truly lovely Du Feng. I cannot wait until I can use its full functionality."
So, let's discuss this gown that Li Suyin and Du Feng made. We know that they have been working on this project for some time now due to this passage earlier in the thread:

"Not at all," Li Suyin replied, smoothing out the glittering silk folds of the gown she was showing them as she neatly folded it back up. "The metal filaments, once attuned to the wearer will follow their motions naturally and can be controlled in the same way one would a limb."

It wasn't this though.

"That sounds somewhat like a flying sword," Xiulan replied shrewdly. "Are you certain you are not overreaching yourself?"

Li Suyin met Xiulan's gaze steadily from where she stood. "It is just a prototype. I admit the control is limited to simple motions as things are… but the filaments are vectors for my arts all the same. My partner and I will develop it further when I break through."
These two passages bring up a couple of interesting questions. Will Du Feng and Li Suyin keep working on refining the dress once Li Suyin breaks into the bronze realm and actually gets her domain up and running and what arts can be used with the filaments of the dress?

Given the dossier on her, we know that her secondary element is metal, but other than that we don't really know what arts of her's use metal or would be able to use the dress as a vector. Is the dress for combat or to be used in Li Suyin's production efforts? So many questions.

My best guess is that the dress provides a means to better activate a defensive art so that the dress acts sort of like a second skin for Li Suyin. Possibly a counter art with poison where Li Suyin is able to use the dress to grab or attack an offending limb and poison it. Unless the range of motion for the dress is much larger than I think it is, then I can really only see it being defensive in nature.

So, let's discuss this gown that Li Suyin and Du Feng made. We know that they have been working on this project for some time now due to this passage earlier in the thread:

These two passages bring up a couple of interesting questions. Will Du Feng and Li Suyin keep working on refining the dress once Li Suyin breaks into the bronze realm and actually gets her domain up and running and what arts can be used with the filaments of the dress?

Given the dossier on her, we know that her secondary element is metal, but other than that we don't really know what arts of her's use metal or would be able to use the dress as a vector. Is the dress for combat or to be used in Li Suyin's production efforts? So many questions.

My best guess is that the dress provides a means to better activate a defensive art so that the dress acts sort of like a second skin for Li Suyin. Possibly a counter art with poison where Li Suyin is able to use the dress to grab or attack an offending limb and poison it. Unless the range of motion for the dress is much larger than I think it is, then I can really only see it being defensive in nature.
Which chapter is the second quote from??

So Ling Qi has a lot of friends, most of whom would fit in a league of evil.

There's the order obsessed overlord in the making whose mother may be planning to tear the empire apart to create a authoritarian utopia in her image, the lady Voldemort who wants to make a monument of her brutalized enemies and the arrogant aristocrat with a penchant for burning everything around her whenever her superiority get's challenged.

Li Suyin always had a creepy element to her but now we know how that will end up. Her disappointment in the lack of human goodness has resulted in her wanting to create a new race of insects of all thing, because there is of course absolutely no evil tropes about genetically engineered insect people, who she believes will be not just physically and spiritually superior to humans but morally as well. Great. Building an army in reclusivity to take over the surface is just a few decades away, she just needs to start using her family art with some human experimentation first.
... And then, there's Ling Qi:
Ling Qi had grown reasonably skilled at putting on a mask of polite interest hid the fact that her airy thoughts were currently beyond the reach of mere Immortals.

The girl who randomly gets lost in thought from the whimsiest things.

Ling Qi could fit in a league of evil if you only ever saw her fighting. What with the nightmare mist filled with spectral monsters, the icy song of death, and her whole vanishing-into-shadows trick.

Anyway, all this talk of how evil-appearing LQ's friends are is making me think of crossovers where Qi and her friends all get mistaken for villains.

Ling Qi could fit in a league of evil if you only ever saw her fighting. What with the nightmare mist filled with spectral monsters, the icy song of death, and her whole vanishing-into-shadows trick.

Anyway, all this talk of how evil-appearing LQ's friends are is making me think of crossovers where Qi and her friends all get mistaken for villains.

11/10 would read. But where best for contrast? ...maybe that Naruto quest by Laurent? End of an Age, I think?

Most other settings I can think of the cultivators would be horrifically overpowered.

11/10 would read. But where best for contrast? ...maybe that Naruto quest by Laurent? End of an Age, I think?

Most other settings I can think of the cultivators would be horrifically overpowered.
Hunter x Hunter. Nen users who are beginners wouldn't stand a chance but neither would genin from Naruto. But the more powerful characters from both Naruto and Hunter x Hunter would be able to counter LQ's techniques.

Last edited:
Hunter x Hunter. Nen users who are beginners wouldn't stand a chance but neither would genin from Naruto. But the more powerful characters from both Naruto and Hunter x Hunter would be able to counter LQ's techniques.

That's a decent cross genre match, though I still would weight it towards the Xia, if only for breadth.

I feel like the Ant King+Royal Guard would lose to Qi and friends in under a minute.

Of course, it would take the narrator 6 episodes to explain.

... And then, there's Ling Qi:

The girl who randomly gets lost in thought from the whimsiest things.

To be fair Ling Qi has said in the past that she has to put effort into caring about people. If we don't choose to spend time with her friends she slowly stop caring about them. At the same time for people she doesn't care about Ling Qi presently feels compassion but she also has a part of her that can become cold, uncaring and even gleefully bloodthirsty. If she ever gets desensitized to killing I've no doubt she could slaughter scores of people like how she drains them for qi by hurting them right now.

Cai Renxiang wants to do good and has the wisdom to realize that neither she nor her mother can be wise enough to really decide what that means. Bai Meizhen wants the Bai to become as feared, brutal and untouchable as she is but she wants it because that lack of fear caused her mother's death. And she even learnt from Ling Qi that one can make allies through mercy and kindness as much as destroy enemies with terror and death. Gu Xiulan and Li Suyin are both comparably normal even though like the others above they have the potential to grow into monsters.

That's the thing, they all are villainous in one way or another but they're still goo. And if they will become the monsters they have the possibility to become, they're not there yet.

Back