Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Pretty sure at the time, Ji Rong is the same cultivation level as us.

As for Zhengui, while flavour text made it seem like he didn't do much, by attacking him, it affects the way the battle flow regardless of Ji Rong's ability to mitigate multi-combat. Heck yrsilllar said it himself, we would've been in trouble if it wasn't for Zhengui and the worms, along with PLR and FVM, we debuffed him enough for him to be grappled and get hit multiple times.

Ji Rong was Bronze Appraisal in that fight, though only Early Green.

I'm saying this in terms of the fact that Inner Sect disciples' gets challenges not just based on combat alone. Secondary/tertiary skills or not, the fact is that they have to invest on it just as much as we do ours. Besides, if combat stealth is totally applicable. It's like throwing a smoke bomb or a flash bang in the middle of the fight then disappearing. Couple that with the fact that we now have Zhengui, Sixiang, and Hanyi to distract our opponents.

Let's use Ji Rong as an example. Right now, I'm pretty confident that Ji Rong can't beat us, but that's because of our spirits and our group support arts(which is essentially where our music build comes in). On our own? Yeah, good luck. In my eyes, Ji Rong is spec in Speed (yes, I'm using that term instead of Instant Movement, bite me) and Perception. Can they be applicable to combat? Hell yeah of course! Then what makes Stealth any less of an option as a combat even though it's totally valid. Heck, right now Ji Rong is starting to move away a little from his path to be a super puncher in order to learn more about Government. Same goes for us, and CRX is totally all for that as well in the side.

If your problem is how I'm graphing the build, I admit it ain't perfect, not accurate maybe even. Yet, it's also ideal for us to move towards that. I'm speaking not just of our Moon patrons synergy, but also the role CRX seems to plan for us. In other words, it's for the far future rather than this current quest where we have to worry for combat (though I'd argue it'd still work)

Inner sect challenge can be on secondary skills yes. Doesn't means it would be a good idea for someone to make 40% of their build government.

Combat stealth doesn't work the way you described it.

We can totally beat Ji Rong currently in solo, by out damaging him trough FSS. And stealth is less valid than combat perception because combat perception is about combat.

CRX doesn't have a set plan for us, the current one is us handling diplomacy, which means speech and manipulation.

One reason for our relatively low cultivation at the tournament is that we delayed our breakthrough by a month in order to get more breakthrough bonuses, which turned out to be pretty lackluster. I'm not sure if it was calculated out, but we might have been able to get to Green 2 while still getting most of our arts to the same level if we didn't aim for the bonuses.

Here are Ji Rong's old stats:

-outdated
Green 1/Bronze 2
Health B, Qi B25
Speed C20, Initiative B15
C. Perc. C10
Phys Def
Avoid: B, Armor C10
Spir Def
Avoid C15, Armor D15
Phys Off
Hit B20, Pen A

Primary Elements: Heaven
Secondary Elements: Wind

With these stats, it might have been easier to defeat Ji Rong by spamming HC. We would have to facetank his perfect damage, but we were doing that for the majority of the fight anyway.

Last edited:
Speaking as someone who's not super involved in build discussion, I've always liked the aesthetic of Stealth from a story perspective. Feeds into the supervillain thing we've got going.

By day, a popular musician who steals the spotlight. By night, an invisible wraith who steals everything else.

Like a cake, of course.

I am usually not a fan of stealth for the protagonist, because it reduce the interaction with others. With villains, antagonists and even allies.
Why talk with a old gate keeper and talk him into open the gate for you if you can sneak in thought the windows.
Why plan something with a friend if you can just bypass everything?
Why confront the villain if you can just walk past him?

Not specific to this quest, but stealth in most stories is arbitary. It generally feels less that you can sneak very good, but that the opponent is just blind until the plot decides otherwise.

Potential April fool update idea: genderbent shenanigans.

musical episode

A duel, with a narrator mechanically overexplaining every single move and numbers rolled. dead seriously

All characters mind swap with their primary spirit companion for a day

biyu POV, pranking the new people

bleh, bad generic ideas galore

Potential April fool update idea: genderbent shenanigans.

musical episode

A duel, with a narrator mechanically overexplaining every single move and numbers rolled. dead seriously

All characters mind swap with their primary spirit companion for a day

biyu POV, pranking the new people

bleh, bad generic ideas galore
A duel, but for every line describing the action, you get at least two paragraphs of people reacting to the action, talking about how it's so fast they can't keep up, or that nobody could survive that move, before the dust clears and the other person did survive the move.

A duel, but for every line describing the action, you get at least two paragraphs of people reacting to the action, talking about how it's so fast they can't keep up, or that nobody could survive that move, before the dust clears and the other person did survive the move.
Threads of destiny Z would be traumatizing.

...I can match up the characters a little... whoa...

I don't know if I am looking forward to or dreading that Omake.

Pretty sure at the time, Ji Rong is the same cultivation level as us.

As for Zhengui, while flavour text made it seem like he didn't do much, by attacking him, it affects the way the battle flow regardless of Ji Rong's ability to mitigate multi-combat. Heck yrsilllar said it himself, we would've been in trouble if it wasn't for Zhengui and the worms, along with PLR and FVM, we debuffed him enough for him to be grappled and get hit multiple times.
Mechanically, while Zhengui wasn't HITTING, he was inflicting multiattacker along with the summoned worms...and part of it was that Ji Rong was rolling very well compared to our adds, which was a fairly big difference due to the gap between Green2 Physique and Peak Yellow Physique.

Narratively, while Zhengui wasn't hitting, he was a large obstacle trying to bite Ji Rong twice a round while we used him as physical cover, dodging over, under, and around, which while we couldn't be burned by touching him, Ji Rong could be. While dropping an ashfall which put the timer even harder since every round spent in it is lost qi/health too.
Sure he's not drawing aggro, but he was an aggressive obstacle Ji Rong couldn't dispel and couldn't take out without burning through so much qi that he wouldn't have enough left to finish Ling Qi with.

Bark Worn Rough (counter)
Hit: (Manipulation B, Woodwind A) = B20 + Unqualified Bonus: Way 3, Equip 10 (flute 5,), Sixiang 10, HDW 10, Hanyi 5 = A13Automatically hits if hit by enemy
Qualified Bonuses:

Penetration: (Presence E, Woodwind A) = C + Unqualified Bonus: Way 13, Equip (flute) 10, FSS 5 = C28
Qualified Bonuses:

.....wut.....is this?

Su Ling
So internet disconnected on my side for hours. That was really frustrating. Finally get to submit stuff that I'm supposed to do earlier.

Here's some more art. One would normally think Liang He is good with the sword, but one day he will be usurped by none other than Su Ling, the true sword master.

Now with an adorable Avenging Crescent Bat! Wonder if Su Ling named him yet

@yrsillar here's for today up next: Reporting for duty, Commander Suyin

Edit: had to add a few (un)noticeable text. Don't mind this

Last edited:
I think you're underestimating our personal combat potential or overestimating Ji Rong. In spite of the plan, Zhengui didn't do all that much in the fight against Ji Rong and Sixiang was basically useless. We likely could have won without them.
Not really.

Zhengui was necessary to keep Ji Rong having to waste actions on moving around, suffering multi-attacker penalties, and accumulating Argent Current stacks in order to win the DPS race against him.

Even then, it was a near thing to get to that point.

So uh...No, you're kinda wrong headed there.

Not really.

Zhengui was necessary to keep Ji Rong having to waste actions on moving around, suffering multi-attacker penalties, and accumulating Argent Current stacks in order to win the DPS race against him.

Even then, it was a near thing to get to that point.

So uh...No, you're kinda wrong headed there.

Did Ji Rong have to waste actions moving around? I agree with you on the rest but I'm not sure if the debuffs were necessary to win. It doesn't seem like Ji Rong had much in the way of spiritual defenses so I think we could have just spammed HC to win.

Last edited:
Did Ji Rong have to waste actions moving around? I agree with you with the rest but I'm not sure if the debuffs were necessary to win. It doesn't seem like Ji Rong had much in the way of spiritual defenses so I think we could have just spammed HC to win.
Look up the mechanics from the previous thread. Movement ate up actions during a turn, and disengaging from Zhengui forced Ji Rong to spend them on that action rather than closing the distance and keeping up his pressure.

Which was necessary, since Ji Rong's Domain weapon was a restorative consumable, and he would've been able to close the distance with another super punch to knock Ling Qi out before we got the opportunity to build another strong Hoarfrost Caress of similar strength.

He only wasn't able to because of accumulated debuffs which were brought on by the rest of the fight up until that point, in conjunction with TRF's sheer defensive brokenness, which left him open to PLR fucking him over and ending the fight for us with Lunatic Whirl. Which, at that point (and even now) was absolute shit at being able to land on an opponent.

Lunatic Whirl shut Ji Rong down there, when he got his second wind. Not FSS. That actually got shrugged off due to his equipment. A DPS race would have screwed us over completely.

Last edited:
Look up the mechanics from the previous thread. Movement ate up actions during a turn, and disengaging from Zhengui forced Ji Rong to spend them on that action rather than closing the distance and keeping up his pressure.

Which was necessary, since Ji Rong's Domain weapon was a restorative consumable, and he would've been able to close the distance with another super punch to knock Ling Qi out before we got the opportunity to build another strong Hoarfrost Caress of similar strength.

He only wasn't able to because of accumulated debuffs which were brought on by the rest of the fight up until that point, in conjunction with TRF's sheer defensive brokenness, which left him open to PLR fucking him over and ending the fight for us with Lunatic Whirl. Which, at that point (and even now) was absolute shit at being able to land on an opponent.

Lunatic Whirl shut Ji Rong down there, when he got his second wind. Not FSS. That actually got shrugged off due to his equipment. A DPS race would have screwed us over completely.

Rereading the fight, it seems like disengaging from Zhengui and the worms only cost Ji Rong one attack on us before his Domain Weapon broke and he was restored. Ji Rong landed hits on us on all four other turns before his restoration. We would have been able to use HC three more times before his restoration if we hadn't used those turns to set up MotV, IPF, and the worms. It's true that our set up enabled us to easily defeat him after his restoration, but we would have been able to get off at least five HCs without taking more hits than we did in the actual fight if we didn't use anything else. We likely would have taken more damage without MotV/IPF and each HC would have done significantly less damage than the one we used in the actual battle without the multiattacker penalty. However, I think we could have still won the fight. Of course, all of this is assuming that the description of the fight was a fairly accurate representation of the dice rolls.

Back