Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Looks like worst element is going to win again.

Ah well.
Can you quit it? This was never about (just) the elements, it was about personality traits
Sixiang wanted to know one more thing. Which of her elements did she feel was most important to what she wanted to be?

Was it wind? It had fallen behind in her arts, and she had rejected the idea of absolute freedom, but did they playful joy of the wind spirit still exemplify what she wanted to be at the end. Would she have done better in recent trials, if she found again the thread of cunning and creativity that had kept her alive in latter days?

Was it Darkness? So many of her arts cultivated it, and it went so well with her own covetous nature, of never wanting to let anything go if she could at all help it? Yet… perhaps it was only growing strength, but had it not encouraged a more brute force approach to things?

...Was it Water? She did not often think on it but many of her arts incorparated the element as a secondary. The virtues of persistence in pressing forward that arose from water had been a part of her for some time, even if it was not as visible and prominent as the others.

Or Perhaps Wood? When she had begun cultivating boundless growth and vitality were hardly among her virtues, but… had it not served her very well indeed? Many trials remained in her future she was sure. She could not remain still but that was not all that there was to the element, now was it?

The people going on about "wind arts this" and "darkness bonuses that" were missing the point of this vote. This has been about shaping Ling Qi's (and Sixiang's) character(s) not just getting some mechanical elemental bonus.

Last edited:
Can you quit it? This was never about (just) the elements, it was about personality traits

That's kinda the point.

You remember when LQ abandoned her mother for the streets and that oh so precious freedom? Wind.

You remember when she abandoned that other street kid to get caught by the guards so she could escape alone? Wind.

Being a ditz is generally seen as a negative trait, but people seem to really love it in this quest and I really dont get it.

Last edited:
That's kinda the point.

You remember when LQ abandoned her mother for the streets and that oh so precious freedom? Wind.

You remember when she abandoned that other street kid to get caught by the guards so she could escape alone? Wind.

Being a ditz is generally seen as a negative trait, but people seem to really love it in this quest and I really dont get it.

Wind is also the idea of connection. Why did we reconnect vwith our mother? Wind. Sure wind can be negative like all elements but it can also be positive. Wind has a great deal of different ideas associated with it. Saying we are ditzy because of wind seems a little short sighted when wind is also how people can connect and affect each other even over vast distance.

Wind is also the idea of connection. Why did we reconnect vwith our mother? Wind. Sure wind can be negative like all elements but it can also be positive. Wind has a great deal of different ideas associated with it. Saying we are ditzy because of wind seems a little short sighted when wind is also how people can connect and affect each other even over vast distance.

Wind views bonds as shackles that weight it down.

It might touch two things for a moment, but it's nature is motion. It doesn't stick around.

I'm just concerned about it in terms of being part of our main elements. I had it in my head it was going to be Moon and Darkness along with something else (maybe Wood or Music), but then this vote came. Not that I'm against Wind, but we need to decided which element we want to main.

I'm just concerned about it in terms of being part of our main elements. I had it in my head it was going to be Moon and Darkness along with something else (maybe Wood or Music), but then this vote came. Not that I'm against Wind, but we need to decided which element we want to main.
If Moon had been in this vote it might have won. In any case we'll never main one element alone, or two for that matter. Three is just way more likely.

That's kinda the point.

So you just completely and utterly ignored everything about the vote and the description of the option to rail against your idea of what Wind meant?

Was it wind? It had fallen behind in her arts, and she had rejected the idea of absolute freedom, but did they playful joy of the wind spirit still exemplify what she wanted to be at the end. Would she have done better in recent trials, if she found again the thread of cunning and creativity that had kept her alive in latter days?

"playful joy" and "cunning and creativity" that's it, so bringing up all that "Wind is bad because freedom" stuff is just bad faith when that part of the element is explicitly rejected and not a part of the vote.

So you just completely and utterly ignored everything about the vote and the description of the option to rail against your idea of what Wind meant?

"playful joy" and "cunning and creativity" that's it, so bringing up all that "Wind is bad because freedom" stuff is just bad faith when that part of the element is explicitly rejected and not a part of the vote.

Asael is probably talking about the description in the last thread from the Domain vote when Ling Qi rose to Green.
Understandable, though I doubt we'd be flimsy with our connections even with Wind

Wind views bonds as shackles that weight it down.

It might touch two things for a moment, but it's nature is motion. It doesn't stick around.
Bonds between people are much more ephemeral than physical chains. Sure there may be distance both physical and emotional between two people who haven't seen each other in a long time but wind can allow that distance to be traveled. Just because we move doesn't mean that memories are gone.

The fact that wind doesn't stick around doesn't mean much when wind will come again. Wind is a like a great cycle. It is gone one day and back the next. It may be a little weaker, it may be a little stronger. but wind will always come back to where it was before.

One can't know where the wind will blow. One can't stop the wind from blowing to where it must go. But one can be assured that someday the wind will return to the spot you stand. And just like you can't stop the wind from leaving you can't stop the wind from returning.

You know what would be cool? If Zeqing would give us a Darkness/Wind song :(

Wind is part of blizzards too you know.
You know what else would be cool...

A wind/dream art that allows for the creation of dreamscapes while connecting other people's dreams to that dreamscape. Something like

Which is a lot more likely now that we know of Dream then when I first originally wrote the idea.

Also, shameless shilling.

Wind's also the element of being able to let go of internet arguments, which I think we can all agree would be a good character trait :p

Never ! I will die with my hand clutched over my very, very important internet arguments !

SV provide even various type of internet point ensuring that not only you get the pleasure of arguing to the point of absurdity but you even get dopamine triggers from meaningless good boy point out of it ! :V

That's kinda the point.

You remember when Ling Qi went for more opportunities outside of being a courtesan's daughter, and left her mother behind? Darkness.

You remember when she put her own life and another street kid's at risk so that she could successfully steal something? Darkness.

Being greedy and selfish is generally seen as a negative trait, but people seem to really love it in this quest.

Almost any situation can have almost any major element ascribed to it because people and motivations are complicated.

I voted for Darkness because I prefer the idea of the whole "Goal/Result Oriented" nature of Darkness, but Wind in most circumstances that Ling Qi and the thread will accept will probably fit pretty well.

Let's at least see whether this is a Sixiang or Ling Qi thing before we really get steamed.

Yeah, but the thing is, we have a tad too many. I don't know what's the appropriate number for secondary but so far from the other cast's sheet, I'm seeing just one.
Ok, so. Elemental build theory.

Before I set out here, I must acknowledge that we know less than we would like. @yrsillar hasn't really explicitly laid out "rules" for us to follow, and most of what we know is inferred from random observations and statements from characters, as well as - importantly - the effects of the mechanics.

Elemental coherence was considered particularly important last year because of the mechanical system - specifically gearing. Even more specifically, the god stat that was qi reduction. Above all else this was the reason we considered a wide element spread to be problematic. With the system change this year, gear and qi reduction appears to be far less powerful, hence it does not provide the same crushing motivation that it did before.

The main reasons now would be a) cultivation speed (in terms of stacking multipliers etc.) and b) thematic/stylistic coherence. We may also raise the question of whether or not a more focused build would have provided fewer but stronger breakthrough bonuses - but in the absence of @yrsillar telling us anything specific there we can only speculate.

The thing about builds, however, is that they really aren't as simple as "just count the number of elements you have". Take, for instance, a pure "ice" build. This could run Darkness/Water/Wind - which looks like a tri-element core. However, with ice being Darkness/Water or Water/Wind, what this build could actually be could be a whole lot of either Darkness/Water or Water/Wind arts. In other words, you could run it entirely off ++Water bonuses, just like a mono-water build. By controlling the *combinations* of elements you use you can provide thematic coherency and effectively reduce the number of elements you're "running" while having a large number of elements. A similar example would be a yin Fire-Wind-Water Ice/Ash build, which could be run purely off ++Wind stacking.

On a similar note, Meizhen's build is something that Arkeus and I have argued about on occasion. I argue that Meizhen's apparent tri-element base (Water/Darkness/Wood) is probably effectively a duel-element build with Wood only being used in combination with either Darkness or Water for poison arts, and that she has no pure Wood arts (though yes, this is all speculative).

At the far end of the scale, we can see the Argent Way which runs all eight imperial elements by putting them in specific combinations to produce an overarching "Argent" element that can then be focused on (and is also apparently actually about storms :p).

tldr; Elements are complicated, and it's how the combinations of them are managed that is in many ways more important.

You remember when Ling Qi went for more opportunities outside of being a courtesan's daughter, and left her mother behind? Darkness.

You remember when she put her own life and another street kid's at risk so that she could successfully steal something? Darkness.

Being greedy and selfish is generally seen as a negative trait, but people seem to really love it in this quest.

Almost any situation can have almost any major element ascribed to it because people and motivations are complicated.

I voted for Darkness because I prefer the idea of the whole "Goal/Result Oriented" nature of Darkness, but Wind in most circumstances that Ling Qi and the thread will accept will probably fit pretty well.

Let's at least see whether this is a Sixiang or Ling Qi thing before we really get steamed.

Darkness is possessiveness, not greed. They aren't the same thing, although can be aligned. In any case, stealing was more a matter of survival at the point.

I'm just blindly guessing and overreaching here, but is it possible that Zeqing's site has Music in it (even though it explicitly just say Darkness)

Back