Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I am actually still interested in the secret fifth Argent Art Ling Qi would be getting by mastering the previous four, especially since it is a relatively low hanging fruit with two of the four being mastered already.
That's Argent Pulse. You get it from mastering AM, AC and AStorm.

Must have missed it.
Do we know what it does?
It's been discussed repeatedly in this thread and while we have no direct "This is it's block" we have information about it. Look to the earlier bits of this thread.

Suffice to say what you'll likely find is that I am a vehement opponent of getting it.

Must have missed it.
Do we know what it does?
Sort of. It is a command art. It talks about encouraging people to stand with earth and attack getting them to attack with the might of heaven.

The art's official description is better but makes it sound like it forces people to keep fighting past when they normally would fall and die. Not super appealing to me.

Sort of. It is a command art. It talks about encouraging people to stand with earth and attack getting them to attack with the might of heaven.

The art's official description is better but makes it sound like it forces people to keep fighting past when they normally would fall and die. Not super appealing to me.

Can you perhaps link to the description?
Because I just searched for it but found little in the way of solid information.
This said, a buffing art sounds interesting for our spirit heavy and support build.

Last edited:
My feelings are this: there's definitely potential in these arts, but none simply fill a slot without thought. The combination of arts we pick, and how everything works together and covers our bases is important.

We still have Anti-Dispel as a really critical hole in our build we need to fill at the very least. We should do more research next turn to expand our options and cover all our bases here, and hopefully by the third month Cai will have gotten back to us with some more options.

Then we can look at everything as a whole and think about what arts would work best for us.

My feelings are this: there's definitely potential in these arts, but none simply fill a slot without thought. The combination of arts we pick, and how everything works together and covers our bases is important.

We still have Anti-Dispel as a really critical hole in our build we need to fill at the very least. We should do more research next turn to expand our options and cover all our bases here, and hopefully by the third month Cai will have gotten back to us with some more options.

Then we can look at everything as a whole and think about what arts would work best for us.

Agree here.
This said, I am quite particular to the ENM/AFL combo.

Skyrim stealth is all kinds of fun.

Agree here.
This said, I am quite particular to the ENM/AFL combo.

Skyrim stealth is all kinds of fun.
So, I think where you need to go if you want the deets on the Argent Pulse discussion is in page 28 or page 39. It's hard to pin point when the debate we had about Pulse started. E: It started around either one of those.

Also yeah skyrim stealth is funny.

Last edited:
Can you perhaps link to the description?
Because I just searched for it but found little in the way of solid information.
This said, a buffing art sounds interesting for our spirit heavy and support build.
Here is the best and most accurate description we have.

The Argent Pulse, then, was an art for commanders, those who stood at the head of formations and kept units working as a cohesive whole. The user would bolster their allies with the stability of the earth, and move them to action with the surety of heavenly might at their backs. In the wholeness of heaven and earth, a soldier could fight to their last breath without a loss of skill.

Here is the best and most accurate description we have.

Thank you.
This doesn't sound bad?

The whole "till the last breath" is more a rhetoric in my opinion, and any commander can just order a retreat, but a possibility for combat communication, more armor/resilience through Earth and ignoring wound penalties is something I think would fit great into our support/extra spirit combatants build.

Last edited:
Thank you.
This doesn't sound bad?

The whole "till the last breath" is more a rhetoric in my opinion, and any commander can just order a retreat, but a possibility for combat communication and probably ignoring wound penalties is something I think would fit great into our support/extra spirit combatants build.
I'll just post my initial posts on the matter here, but I really suggest you look at other people, particularly the ones I was arguing with.

As an aside to all of this there's also whatever more advanced forms show up for optimization of arts. We won't have to worry about those for a while it is looking like, but they are there somewhere. Probably post-Appraisal or something.

I personally want nothing to do with the Argent Arts beyond mastering what we have for three reasons:

If we took Argent Pulse the number of keywords for "Argent" and "Balanced" would jump to six(from five) and I don't see the point in bothering when we're clearly Yin aspected in our primary mode of cultivation and primary patron. Once we leave the sect the Moon, and thus Yin aspects are going to be our means of fueling our drug craze.

This quote, along with player speculation, makes it clear to me that taking Pulse is a much more firm step onto the Argent Way than the previous tier of Argent Arts. Why, is because the Inner Sect is the elite, those who are being considered to be taken into the bosom of the Sect, see the officer core aspect to it. That is a perfectly sensible time to induct them into it.

The final reason is that the Argent Arts are all melee aspected, closing the gap, punching them with boiling water and so on. Based on that Pulse is about being a melee attacker leading a bunch of other melee attackers. Which is not what Ling Qi is. Ling Qi is a bard specialized in mass combat.

Now so I don't look like a complete downer, I would like a commander art of sorts which is Wood Yin based and specifically about obscuring our subordinates from harm. That would be quite fun, and theoretically possible to get given the Weilu, Xi and Hui prominence in Emerald Seas.

Well, Argent Pulse does not "complete" the set of Argent Mirror, Storm, Current and Soul. It's the completion bonus from fully mastering those, that you get automatically. It's the first in a totally new set, and I have no interest. The mastery bonuses for Storm and Current are probably somehow useful, which is the only reason I am still interested in mastering them.

I can tell immediately I don't want it. It is a melee commander art. Ling Qi is decidedly not a melee commander. Thus it is really simple to toss it.

Yrsillar outright says it is meant for officers, and officers are Inner Sect. So the implicit assumption is that whoever ends up with it is already either in, or will be in the Inner Sect come the end of the year.

It may be theoretically achievable for an Outer Sect Disciple. But here are the hurdles. First they must be more than the average soldier scrub who can't master Current, Storm and Mirror fully. This preface's all the other hurdles. Second, they must, by either doing all the trials, or trading get a hold of Mirror, Storm and Current. Third they must master all of them and then master Pulse while fending off challengers in the thunderdome.

If one is more than the average scrub, one who can actually master the first tier, then you probably fall into one of three types. Either you have nothing because you are a commoner oddity, and you have only been able to get mostly Argent and Argent adjacent arts, in which case you can't leave if you want to continue cultivating higher. Or you are a commoner who lucked into something to the side of Argent like Ji Rong, or us or one of the other people who have be-bopped around, you have a choice then but generally you've picked the arts you have to fit you so you're on the fence. Then you have the people who are commoner and have family arts, and you may be wanting to push your family Way higher.

There is only one of these that needs Pulse.

As to the point of it being a stealth lock in, I don't actually think it is. I treat the Ways as stuff you have to commit to via multiple steps. They're paths, you walk along them. I thus think there is a split here in that while it is not a lock, it is a step. And I do not want to take that step.

To expand on my thoughts for this, most of my position against it would be annihilated if it was a support commander art meant to fill subordinates with vitality or something. Something that wasn't a melee commander art. But even then I wouldn't want it because I am far far more interested in delving down the depths of Yin and the Moon. Because the Moon is fundamentally a better and so far, more helpful patron than the Argent Way, by virtue of the Weilu and the Moon Great Spirits.

Don't blame you considering the arguments on the topic in the last thread.

See my opinion about it being a forcing thing or not. Tl;dr is that I don't think it is, and is simply a step, which I don't want to take.

E: We also have no way of knowing how many of them have actually found all the Argent Arts. A good chunk of them probably didn't.

After that or sometime around this point I actually came to being convinced after talking to Erebeal and Neshuakdal that Argent Current and Storm have nothing of worth to me because they pointed out that the nebulous "mastery bonuses" I was basing my entire support of them on didn't exist. At this point I only want to train up Genesis because it is quite functional, and cultivation arts have to be treated differently, with how they are all essentially stacking bonuses.

E: If you want more elaboration on my basic points against Argent Pulse, just ask.

Last edited:
To be fair, yrsillar later confirmed it's not a melee commander art, but you've made your opinions abundantly clear on your peak level Argent Hate.

Fortunately, I'm pretty happy with the new stuff right now. They're all worth picking up at some point, even if they're not necessarily the best combat packages.

To be fair, yrsillar later confirmed it's not a melee commander art, but you've made your opinions abundantly clear on your peak level Argent Hate.

Fortunately, I'm pretty happy with the new stuff right now. They're all worth picking up at some point, even if they're not necessarily the best combat packages.
And this is why I pointed out that tenchifew should go read the rest of the stuff other people wrote, because I couldn't find where that bit was.

E: I am also interested in your opinion on the arts we got here in more detail.

Last edited:
Alright, guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and add my thoughts on the new arts.

The first thing that comes to mind is that they are, as expected, sideboard/niche arts. That is not a bad thing, it was exactly what I (and I think most other follks too) were looking to get, sideboard stuff, additional tools to have, as finding something that is better than our main arts is highly unlikely. that being said, I completely agree with bungieONI re: priorities:

Right now what is being focused on is three big things; Most of our arts are locked behind being Green Soul Appraisal. We cannot progress them until we get that, and we need to be consistently progressing on them to meet Shenhua's task and also the challenges of the Inner Sect, both in the sense of disciples and various trial sites and exploring in general. We also need to be progressing on them because they are now the key that will let us get to Green 3, the Foundation Stage, and continue the whole parade of progression.

We also have to cultivate Eight Phase Ceremony, EPC, because it is our main cultivation art and provides many good bonuses to our arts and generally the better it is the faster and cheaper we can raise our arts due to its bonuses. We may be able to train it starting next month, but we also might not. If we can we really need to get to level seven as soon as is possible because the virtual green stone(i.e a free green stone) provides good cost saving and means we can sustain higher green stone use. Higher green stone use means we progress significantly faster, which again ties into the whole Shenhua task thing.

The third thing is getting SCS up to par. It is one of our core defensive and infiltration options, and provides nice options for our activities. We currently have it lagging some what behind it's loot batch mate FVM, just because that's how the last thread turned out, so it is hanging around Green 1 potency right now. To bring it to par we need to level it. It can also provides skill and attribute training for important skills like dodge or Wits.

In my opinions, the new arts are mostly nice to have, but lower priority than our core stuff, so I'd say we take liberally, but weigh carefully if we want to train them, and prioritize core stuff like SCS.
Now, without further ado:

Covetous Wraith's Yearning

Potency: Green 1
Potency Growth: Green 2(3), Green 3(5)
Max Level: 5
Needed Meridians: Head x2, spine(1), Head(3), Spine(5)
Keywords: Dark, Desire, Empathy, Connection, Perceptiveness, Presence, Yin
Experience: 100, 150, 200, 300, 400

Most spirits of darkness are quiescant things, wisps born in the night and dead by morning, comfortable in their irrelevance and nonexistence. Those that cling to existence under the rays of the morning sun are hungry things, stained by desires drawn from human and beast alike. The desire to be, and live, and take. In many ways spirits of darkness are a reflection of the fundamental drives of life, and as such there is much understanding to be gained from their perspective.

Passives:
+10 to Social Perception
+5 to Combat Perception
+5 to Initiative
+5 to Spiritual Armor

Seeking the Hearthfire: D
Duration: Long
Using this art, the user channels dark qi through their mundanes senses, enhancing their ability to understand the desires and bonds between those in their sight, and the ways in which they might insinuate themselves into those things. This sharpening of senses also allows the user to react more quickly to the hostility of foes, increasing their initiative and avoid.

Welcoming in Shadow: D
Duration: Short
The darkness spirit might seem a pitable thing, ut it does not due to forget the danger and hunger they represent. Desire is a deadly thing, and has unmade many. Shrouding themselves in the raiment of the dark, the user tugs at the strings of an enemies desires, focusing their attention upon them. An enemy so affected will approach the user at their full speed, and may target no one else while under their this thrall. The approach effect can be resisted with a resolve of C or greater. While this technique is active, the users armor of both types increases significantly, as they take on a wraiths phantasmal traits.
I think the first technique here is great, helps us fill the role that CRX apparently has in mind for us, especially together with Harmony of the Dancing Wind. The forced movement tech has powerful niche utility, nice to have in certain situations. As some have pointed out there is a bit of a manipulator theme attached, but I can live with that, not like we want to slot it in the domain or anything.

Priority 2, together with HDW

Ephemeral Nights Memory

Potency Growth: Green 2(3),Green 3(5)
Max Level 5
Meridians Needed: Legx2, Armx1(1). Arm(3), Leg(5)
Keywords: Connections, Darkness, Dexterity Fade, Memory, Stealth, Wind, Yin

There are many passing fancies dreamt of in the late hours of the day. Yet there are some which would be better remembered. Memory is a tricky thing, a tenuous thread, easily severed and even important details might slip from us in time, let alone a passing shadow or a the soft touch of a breeze, and surely that is all that it was.

Passives
+10 to Stealth
+5 to Speed
+5 to Physical and Spiritual Avoid
+5 to Physical and Spiritual Hit

Passing Phantom: D
The users presence fades from the mind, forgotten the moment that ones eyes stray from them. Enhances the users stealth and ability to avoid spiritual attacks, as well as slip through spiritual defenses. Allows the user to reset unsure targets to unaware if their stealth is sufficient.

Evening Breeze Flourish: D
Duration: Immediate
In an instant the user pulses their qi in a feint, and for one foe a single second of memory vanishes into the mist of time, leaving them disoriented and open for a blow.
Skyrim stealth! Also memory fuckery. A tool for the larceny toolbox, and I'm rather curious to see what other techs might come up down the line.

I'll put it a Priority 3, nice to have but the social perception stuff seems more immediately useful with CRX' expectations.

Curious Diviners Eye
Potency Growth: Green 2(4)
Needed Meridians: Head x2, Lung x1, Lung(3), Head (5)
Keywords: Academics, Intelligence, Perceptiveness, Projection, Moon, Secrets, Water, Yin
Experience: 80, 120, 160, 200, 280

The arts of the great diviner have spread far and wide with time, their secrets no longer held in trust. This art has been said to be a descendant of the impeccable arts of the great horned sages. Perhaps as a starting point for more inquisitive youths. The curiosity and seeking nature of the new moon is clear in its influence here.

Passives
+10 to Combat Perception
+5 to Spiritual Avoid
+5 to Formations when deciphering arrays
+5 to Academics when researching new information

Inquisitive Study: D
The users eyes gleam briefly with a silver sheen as they study the object of their curiosity. The users perception increases greatly for a single test, allowing them to discern many details that they might otherwise miss.

Seeking Moon's Eyes: C
Conjures three reflective silver wisps the size of a coin. Expressions of the Diviners curiosity, these wisps seek their parents interest eagerly. The wisps ignore wholly physical obstacles but cannot travel further than Near distance from their creator. The creator may see from the wisps position as if they stood there themselves, though only in one direction at a time. This greatly increases their combat perception in the areas within which this sight overlaps.

Statblock
Health: H
Speed: E, Initiative: F
Avoid: D, Armor H
More Larceny abilities, plus shoring up some other useful areas like research and formations. Its "nice to have" on its own, but I think it becomes good because of the synergy between seeking moon's eyes and SCS - teleporting through walls. That makes it combat relevant; while we have mostly been fighting in relatively open arenas, that is by no means given to stay that way, and the ability to disappear through walls is powerful inside a building.

Priority 1, solely because it enhances SCS which is core. Otherwise i'd prioritize the social perception art combo of CWY&HDW.

Harmony of the Dancing Wind
Max Level 5
Needed Meridians: Head x2, Heart x1(1), Heart(3), Head(5)
Keywords: Connections, Empathy, Presence, Perceptiveness, ManipulationMusic, Wind, Yang

There lies a beauty in patterns, of spirits and men alike. This melody exults in the complex dance of winds which brings us weather and the seasons, and in doing, teaches the musician to see and pluck at the lesser patterns and connections in the world around. The harmony reveals the web which connects all things, if the players eyes are but sharp enough to see.

Passives
+10 to Social Perception
+5 to Combat Perception
+5 to Spiritual Hit
+5 to Spiritual Avoid

Spring Breeze Canto: D
This ephemeral melody rings out with the vital curiosity of youth, The melody carries the musician's perception among her listeners, allowing her to clearly hear and see any one of them, regardless of distractions, so long as the songs echoes last

Summer's Day Rising: D
This piece, embodying the optimism and hope, speaks to the musicians bond with her listeners. Even the tenuous bond of casual acquaintance thrums with new hope, bolstering allies against spiritual attacks and deceptions. Those of stronger bond are bolstered still further, buoyed by their connection with the musician.
Damn, this would be perfect if it was stealthy. being able to listen in on people we are sneaking around would be great, as is, it still makes for a powerful social ability given our bard role in CRX' plans, but it becomes much more niche.

Priority 2 together with CWY.

Audacious Fairy's Lark

Potency Growth: Green 2(4)
Max Level 5
Needed Meridians: Legx2, Arm(1). Leg(3), Arm(5)
Keywords: Dance, Dexterity, Dodge, Revelry, Stealth, Wind, Wits, Yin
Experience: 80, 120, 160, 200, 300

An art developed on the observations of a man observing his young daughters frustrations in his attempts to capture low grade wind spirit in the family gardens. The art follows in the footsteps of ephemeral spirits, floating ever just out of reach, and mocks those who would try to grasp its user. Requiring flight for its mastery techniques, this art was never of great use to those it was intended for.

Passives
+5 to Stealth
+10 to Speed
+5 to Initiative
+5 on attempts to escape grapples or confinement

Laughing Breeze: D
The user's footsteps are light, and they float freely over the earth, bendy nary a single strand of grass in their passing. In flight, the user is merely pushed aside by blows that might have struck home, floating from danger like a cascade of flower petals in the wind. Greatly enhances the users speed and stealth by allowing them to defy gravity for short bursts. With flight, this technique is greatly enhanced, and physical avoid is enhanced as well.

Plucking Gust: D
Duration: Immediate
Just the playful sprite plucked the hairpin from the child's head, the users light touch can free more potent things from an enemies ownership. The user may make a melee attack, using dance or stealth as its skill against an unaware or unready target to remove an accessory talisman from their person.

Magpie art? I dunno, the physical avoid could be nice, but overall it seems easier to sneak into people's rooms at night and snort their pills, than stealing their talismans this way.

Priority 4, the most niche one I think, as others have pointed out this is mostly overshadowed by SCS.

As I've said, to me all of these arts are less important than our core stuff, as has been pointed out by others, still, I consider this trip to the archive worthwhile. Now its up to planning to see what we can throw in where.

physical cultivation 408 dice
1 2 6 2 9 2 6 7 5 5 8 7 4 7 4 1 8 5 1 4 9 2 10 9 4 2 6 7 8 2 5 9 3 2 2 3 3 8 1 9 2 8 6 7 5 1 8 4 5 8 7 3 1 6 4 6 7 9 5 5 2 1 5 4 2 8 8 6 5 9 4 8 8 1 5 2 1 4 7 6 3 4 10 3 1 3 10 10 3 4 6 4 4 2 9 7 9 9 2 4 7 6 3 6 6 9 8 9 2 4 4 4 9 3 8 2 8 8 1 10 3 6 6 9 7 6 5 5 4 7 10 2 4 5 8 1 3 7 9 5 2 2 10 1 7 10 4 6 9 4 5 1 9 2 9 7 8 6 3 3 2 5 5 7 9 4 7 3 10 6 9 1 9 9 3 7 10 6 2 8 1 9 10 1 2 1 7 9 6 2 4 7 6 8 5 6 1 1 10 2 8 9 4 9 9 9 7 8 4 9 5 7 9 4 7 10 4 4 1 1 7 4 9 4 3 3 9 5 6 8 6 3 8 1 3 6 9 10 3 5 10 9 1 10 5 7 9 10 2 1 1 8 4 9 1 6 2 1 2 9 1 7 1 8 10 6 6 8 7 8 2 6 9 2 5 3 1 5 2 2 6 4 2 1 5 2 9 8 5 10 6 7 9 6 4 8 3 9 7 9 9 9 4 7 2 10 1 2 7 4 4 4 8 7 6 2 8 4 1 4 6 6 10 6 1 6 5 6 6 1 4 4 1 8 2 3 9 4 4 5 8 9 10 7 5 6 10 5 9 10 10 6 5 10 3 7 7 7 2 2 8 6 8 10 5 1 2 5 5 8 2 4 8 1 10 5 6 1 9 7 2 8 4 6 9 7 4 5 3 6 9 2 3 6 2 9 6 5 3 10 2 6 3 10 7 4 4 4

Thats just ouch!! You have my sympathies.

Do you have some kind of system or excel spreadsheet or something that takes off a lot of the workload or do you have to do all this by hand? I really like the dice system this quest uses but dang is it work heavy. Hope you find a nice way to condense it

So first it appears that you added so.e of your own words to that quote as I most certainly never said that second half. Your comparison is horrific because you are comparing a power to a person. No matter what power Jack had he would have been a terrible person that would have failed every ethics and morality test ever invented. Jack's power could have been to fart real loud when someone looked at him and he would have used it to suffocate entire buildings.

With your comparison I should not drive a Honda Accord because it was the car of choice for a serial killer.

You did mention how exploit and manipulate have a bad connotation. However the evilness of such words lay in the why. Here is an example.

You give a girl flowers. What have you done? You have exploited the social value and norms of flowers in order to manipulate her feelings to be more in line with your goals. Sounds pretty awful right? Why did you do it though? You did it because she got fired the day before and you wanted her to feel better. Wow adding the why changes the whole meaning.

Exploit and manipulate have some very bad connotations. That does not change the fact that they are very powerful and clear words to describe basic human interactions.

I know Arkues that you are probably dead set against this art because of how slanted you have chosen to view this art so the following is for others.

Covetous Wraith's Yearning is our story. We clung to existence and relevance by finding those with desires and fulling those. We saw that Meizhen was lonely and exploited that desire for company. That lead to a beautiful part of the story. We are a person that has been filled with desires, freedom most of all, and have used those desires to become who we are right now.

A power or idea is very rarely completely evil. We have Like Suyins puppets as further proof of that. An art that reveals desires can be used to greatly help other people as well as our selves. It does not have to be an evil thing. It can be misused but so can anything. I have enough faith and trust in this community and Ling Qi that I believe that this art will be used to help those around her.
What the hell are you talking about.

I just said that Jack Slash having the same art wasn't to say the art is bad because he used it. I said it was his art because it's the best possible way to describe the art. That's what the art is, and does.

Now, let's take your example:
You give a girl flowers. What have you done? You have exploited the social value and norms of flowers in order to manipulate her feelings to be more in line with your goals. Sounds pretty awful right? Why did you do it though? You did it because she got fired the day before and you wanted her to feel better. Wow adding the why changes the whole meaning.

Exploit and manipulate have some very bad connotations. That does not change the fact that they are very powerful and clear words to describe basic human interactions.
I never said anything against that. I said that the art is designed to be able to detect the girl wants the flowers, and designed to know that you can make her like you more by giving you the flowers. You are the one somehow harping on how I said the art is evil or some such, and then pointing out evil things about arts.

It's not about 'trusting in this community' or whatever. Let's take Suyin for example. She chose to rework an art working on souls to work on spirit stones. Coveteous Wraith Yearning is an art that works by finding weaknesses in people and using those weaknesses. It can definitely be used to do good things. I never said the opposite, and I don't know why you are stuck on that.

It just doesn't fit Ling Qi at all. It's not her story. Ling Qi didn't find people's desires and try to fullfill those desires. Ling Qi didn't see that Meizhen was lonely and exploited that desire for company. Ling Qi went to a girl for company and tried to show herself worthy of her. Ling Qi's relationship with Meizhen was in good part wanting to repay her, not wanting to befriend her. You are hung up on an art being explicitely about being Jack Slash and taking it as saying "it's making Ling Qi evil" for some unknown reasons.

Maybe I should make a comparison here:

Most spirits of darkness are quiescant things, wisps born in the night and dead by morning, comfortable in their irrelevance and nonexistence. Those that cling to existence under the rays of the morning sun are hungry things, stained by desires drawn from human and beast alike. The desire to be, and live, and take. In many ways spirits of darkness are a reflection of the fundamental drives of life, and as such there is much understanding to be gained from their perspective.

Passives:
+10 to Social Perception
+5 to Combat Perception
+5 to Initiative
+5 to Spiritual Armor

Using this art, the user channels dark qi through their mundanes senses, enhancing their ability to understand the desires and bonds between those in their sight, and the ways in which they might insinuate themselves into those things. This sharpening of senses also allows the user to react more quickly to the hostility of foes, increasing their initiative and avoid.

The darkness spirit might seem a pitable thing, ut it does not due to forget the danger and hunger they represent. Desire is a deadly thing, and has unmade many. Shrouding themselves in the raiment of the dark, the user tugs at the strings of an enemies desires, focusing their attention upon them. An enemy so affected will approach the user at their full speed, and may target no one else while under their this thrall. The approach effect can be resisted with a resolve of C or greater. While this technique is active, the users armor of both types increases significantly, as they take on a wraiths phantasmal traits.
Max Level 5
Keywords: Connections, Empathy, Presence, Perceptiveness, ManipulationMusic, Wind, Yang

There lies a beauty in patterns, of spirits and men alike. This melody exults in the complex dance of winds which brings us weather and the seasons, and in doing, teaches the musician to see and pluck at the lesser patterns and connections in the world around. The harmony reveals the web which connects all things, if the players eyes are but sharp enough to see.

Passives
+10 to Social Perception
+5 to Combat Perception
+5 to Spiritual Hit
+5 to Spiritual Avoid

This ephemeral melody rings out with the vital curiosity of youth, The melody carries the musician's perception among her listeners, allowing her to clearly hear and see any one of them, regardless of distractions, so long as the songs echoes last

This piece, embodying the optimism and hope, speaks to the musicians bond with her listeners. Even the tenuous bond of casual acquaintance thrums with new hope, bolstering allies against spiritual attacks and deceptions. Those of stronger bond are bolstered still further, buoyed by their connection with the musician.
Both arts focus on the same topics, here. It's how they approach the topic that's different:
Covetous:
  • Keywords: Dark, Desire, Empathy, Connection, Perceptiveness, Presence, Yin
  • reflections of drive of life, especially desire to be/live/take
  • Understands the desires of people, understand how to insinuate ourself in them
  • Understand how to tug people's desire so that we are the most important to them
Now, I can see how some people would think there are similarities to Ling Qi wanting to cling to her friends and wanting to 'buy' their friendship. In a way, one could argue that the only difference is 'this is being good at it'. However, the key difference is the position from where this comes from and how it's done. Ling Qi's drive to buy her way in came in big part by thinking she was not worthy of said relationship. When she wasn't clear enough to Meizhen and using her love for her post lakegate by pretending to not notice what's going on, this was again because of a lack of confidence in herself.

There is nothing wrong with manipulating people, but Coveteous is all about making it about the user. It's about the desire to be the one taking and the one living, while Ling Qi has grown to desire to be one sheltering and giving, too.

Harmony:
  • Keywords: Connections, Empathy, Presence, Perceptiveness, Manipulation, Music, Wind, Yang
  • Find the beauty in the world, Find the pattern in the world and how things each things connect
  • Driven by curiosity, look at people
  • Plays on your connection to people to bolster their hopes, and the stronger your connection the more hope you give them
Keyword wise, Harmony has Manipulation rather than desire. It's about manipulating connections, rather than about desiring connections. It's about manipulating connections so that we can share our hope, rather than understanding people's desires to resolve our own.

This is Ling Qi's story, because it's how she has grown. Her strong desire to cling and buy to her friend was always secondary to her strong desire to make her friends happy in the only ways she could find, and the more she loved her friends the more she wanted to give to them, rather than the more vulnerable they were the more we wanted to insinuate ourself.

It's about themes, here. There is no evil arts, whatever you are trying to pretend. There are themes.

Last edited:
You know what we should use Art Alteration on ? TRF
Making it Music/Yin would be hilariously apropos for Ling Qi.

On the New Arts, i think one thing that hasn't been pointed out is that all these Arts are extremely cheap (PLR has levels that cost more than the entirety of those arts do).
As such i believe they are not intended to be Core Arts but rather supplementary arts that we fit in and out depending on the situation. As such i think we should only focus on the Arts tool they offer us rather than any kind of theme they have.

Note: as a bonus for their obvious low quality, these Arts probably have successor arts in the upper levels of the Archive.

Last edited:
Agreed, I feel like people are getting too hung up on what the art themes are. We are not going to have to slot them and still have time to find other arts.
Um, a lot of these arts are very slottable. Harmony especially.

Moreover do you know how hard it is to get the thread to drop anything once they've gotten attached to it? We really can't change course easily. To say nothing of the fact that with our schedule we don't really have time to spend going down dead ends.

Fortunately, all of the arts yrs has created here actually fit Ling Qi very well.

Now, I can see how some people would think there are similarities to Ling Qi wanting to cling to her friends and wanting to 'buy' their friendship. In a way, one could argue that the only difference is 'this is being good at it'. However, the key difference is the position from where this comes from and how it's done. Ling Qi's drive to buy her way in came in big part by thinking she was not worthy of said relationship. When she wasn't clear enough to Meizhen and using her love for her post lakegate by pretending to not notice what's going on, this was again because of a lack of confidence in herself.

There is nothing wrong with manipulating people, but Coveteous is all about making it about the user. It's about the desire to be the one taking and the one living, while Ling Qi has grown to desire to be one sheltering and giving, too.
I like Harmony more too, but I think you're being unfair to Covetous Wraith here. It is very much an expression of Ling Qi's experience and perspective. Look back to her conversation with Zeqing and her thoughts about her greed and how she clings to her friends. Look at her generally cynical perspective on people. Covetous is very much about "I want to hold them to me and have them love me". Rather than framing the perception as about manipulation, I would frame it as a symbolic representation of Ling Qi's perspective. Her intimate understanding of greed and desire, and attunement to the darkness that lies within the heart of man allows her to read and understand such things in others. Indeed, she has a tendency to naturally interpret people through this lens in the first place.

It is a very Ling Qi art. Where Harmony is more symbolic of her hopes and dreams, Covetous is her darker drives and cynicism.

I respectfully disagree. Arts' themes can (and actually do) have a major impact on the psyche of the cultivator, and in the long run, on their soul.

That I find a lot more important than simple and replaceable mechanics.

I respectfully disagree. Arts' themes can (and actually do) have a major impact on the psyche of the cultivator, and in the long run, on their soul.

That I find a lot more important than simple and replaceable mechanics.
Domain slotting is basically that, made into a mechanic.

If we have disposable minions it'd be quite useful to force them fight longer than they normally can. AE Worms are an example. Ossuary Horror (with CWY's taunt sloted in it) is an other.

And that's assuming it's not something you just want for your allies, as to me it sound more like a case where you allow them to continue fighting instead of dieing.

So, I know I'm pretty late to the party, but I guess I feel like tossing in my two cents too. I'm overall in agreement that we should go on another archive dive or two before learning any new arts, and I think we also need to look at what are the successor arts for our current main arts, and can we get our hands on those successor arts. Ideally, I'd like to wait to see what successor arts we can get, then pick and choose from the archive arts we've previously researched, and perhaps vote for a build by plan instead of by individual arts.

That said, let's look at the arts we've got on this dive. Wraith, Diviners, and Harmony are the perception arts of this dive, but none of them quite seem to be what we're looking for. Wraith is closest in terms of wide applicability, but it also comes with a frankly unnecessary taunt. Diviners is more about academics than general perception, and Harmony is useful, but requires you to be playing music to activate it, so that's not remotely subtle. Basically, they're good perception arts in their niche, but I think we can find better.

Lark looks like it could be a successor to SCS if we can't find SCS+, or synergize well with SCS if it turns out we have the space for it. I'm very interested in the physical avoid aspect of it, since that's something SCS doesn't quite do, but again, it depends on if we have the space for it.

Then we have Ephemeral Night's Memory. In my view, this is the one art of this dive that perfectly fills a hole we were looking to fill. This seems to be the combat stealth art, the dedicated stealth art that makes stealth relevant for combat. It synergizes extremely well with FVM or PLR, while not actually doing what FVM or PLR does. When the times comes that we vote for arts to learn, this will likely be my top pick, barring better arts in future archive dives.

For the people who are on top of the graphs and charts: how many new arts can we afford to pick up?

This depends entirely upon how much time we're willing to spend to do so.

Now, we absolutely must leave room open to afford Sect Points and Contribution Points in order to guarantee access to a Junior Pillmaker each month and so that we have the resources required to challenge. That's three Sect Jobs per month, with a touch of overflow for other purposes and/or to adjust the amount we do each month, and one AP for 'duties'.

So call it about four AP, split into Sect Jobs and Sect Duties.

If we aren't willing to spend an extra few months cultivating new Arts and/or improving our Formations, our schedule looks roughly like the following:

Turn 3: 4x Physical Cultivation, 4x Spiritual Cultivation, 4x EPC, 4x FVM, 4 AP for Sect stuff.
Turn 4: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x SCS, 4x FSS (Bronze Two), 4 AP for Sect stuff.
Turn 5: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, Meridian Condensing x5, 4x TRF, 3 AP for Sect stuff.
Turn 6: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, Meridian Condensing x6, 3x PLR, 3 AP for Sect stuff. Green Three.
Turn 7: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x EPC, 4x FVM+, 4 AP for Sect Stuff
Turn 8: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x FSS+, 4x SCS+, Bronze Three.
Turn 9: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x TRF+, 4x PLR, 4 AP for Sect Stuff.

This is a rough outline, makes a bunch of assumptions.

We'd have basically no time whatsoever. It does hit Green Three by Turn Six, and presuming the increase remains as expected (3600 successes to Green Four, 4800 successes to Green Five) it should take about six months at 8x GSS to reach Green Four - right around Turn Twelve, with the Tournament expected to be around Turn 19 or so (presuming one year is thirteen months) and the end of our time in the Inner Sect at roughly turn 26.

Green Five would be another eight turns of dedicated cultivation at roughly 600 successes/turn, putting that at around turn twenty - provided we didn't 'take time off' to better prepare for the Tournament.

Taking two months 'off' of physical and spiritual cultivation leaves us with something like the following:

Turn 3: 4x Physical Cultivation, 4x Spiritual Cultivation, 4x EPC, 4x FVM, 4 AP for Sect stuff.
Turn 4: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x SCS, 4x FSS (Bronze Two), 4 AP for Sect stuff.
Turn 5: Meridian Condensing x6 (SCS, FVM), 4x TRF, 4x PLR, 2 AP for Sect stuff, 2 AP Archive Dive (Second Floor?), 2 AP Free.
Turn 6: Meridian Condensing x5 (FSS, TRF), 4x SCS+, 4x FVM+, 3 AP for Sect Stuff, 4 AP Free.
Turn 7: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x FSS+, 4x TRF+, 4 AP for Sect Stuff.
Turn 8: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4 AP for Sect Stuff. 8 AP Free. Green Three.
Turn 9: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x EPC, 4x Core Art, 4 AP Sect stuff.
Turn 10: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x Core Art 1, 4x Core Art 2, 4 AP Sect Stuff Bronze Three

This provides 14 AP free. That's enough to pick up and master roughly two new Arts (Counting opening new Meridians), or one new Art and advance our Formations and Argent Genesis. We'd still reach Green Four with plenty of time to spare for the Tournament, at roughly Turn 14, and Green Five by turn 22.

A Three month break, on the other hand...

Turn 4: 4x Physical, 4x SCS, 4x FSS, 4x TRF, 4 AP for Sect stuff, Bronze Two.
Turn 5: Meridian Condensing x8 (SCS, FVM, TRF), 4x PLR, 4 AP for Sect stuff, 2 AP 2nd Floor Archive Dive, 2 AP Free.
Turn 6: Meridian Condensing x3 (FSS), 4x SCS+, 4x FVM+, 4 AP for Sect Stuff, 5 AP Free.
Turn 7: 4x Spiritual, 4x FSS+, 4x TRF+, 4 AP for Sect Stuff, 4 AP Free.
Turn 8: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4 AP for Sect Stuff. 8 AP Free.
Turn 9: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4 AP for Sect Stuff. 8 AP Free. Green Three.
Turn 10: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x EPC, 4x Core Art, 4 AP Sect Stuff.
Turn 11: 4x Physical, 4x Spiritual, 4x Core Art 1, 4x Core Art 2, 4 AP Sect Stuff Bronze Three.

30 AP Free - that's roughly three new Arts (Including opened Meridians: something like 7 AP per Art?), Formations, and AG. Green Four at roughly Turn 15, and Green Five by turn 23 - probably a little tight there.

I don't think we want to spend more than three months 'off' of Physical/Spiritual cultivation, however. It doesn't seem particularly wise, not if we want to hit Green Five before the end of Year Two and still have time to do that final push into the top 530, 5 ranks behind CRX, with Green Five Potency Arts.

This presumes a whole hell of a lot, of course. 600 successes/4 AP on Physical and Spiritual, each Art only takes 4 AP to reach the maximum level of Mastery at Green Two provided we're pushing max GSS and rare pills, that stuff doesn't come up to abruptly throw us off our 'game-plan', that we find the resources to keep pushing 8 GSS/turn beyond expected limits, etc.

It also isn't perfect. A few tweaks here and there would likely improve it immensely - genuine optimization this far in advance is difficult and time consuming, what with all the variables to move around, especially with the known unknowns: How good are the Junior Pillmakers? Senior Pillmakers? How much of a boost is Core Tutoring? Elder Tutoring? What are the locations around here like? How good are the talismans available from the crafters? Let alone all the stuff we don't know anything at all about.

I think I've convinced myself to go for Three months off... probably going to end up doing more math on that subject, see how much AP I can trim off of our Arts training.

What the hell are you talking about.

I just said that Jack Slash having the same art wasn't to say the art is bad because he used it. I said it was his art because it's the best possible way to describe the art. That's what the art is, and does.

Now, let's take your example:

I never said anything against that. I said that the art is designed to be able to detect the girl wants the flowers, and designed to know that you can make her like you more by giving you the flowers. You are the one somehow harping on how I said the art is evil or some such, and then pointing out evil things about arts.

It's not about 'trusting in this community' or whatever. Let's take Suyin for example. She chose to rework an art working on souls to work on spirit stones. Coveteous Wraith Yearning is an art that works by finding weaknesses in people and using those weaknesses. It can definitely be used to do good things. I never said the opposite, and I don't know why you are stuck on that.

It just doesn't fit Ling Qi at all. It's not her story. Ling Qi didn't find people's desires and try to fullfill those desires. Ling Qi didn't see that Meizhen was lonely and exploited that desire for company. Ling Qi went to a girl for company and tried to show herself worthy of her. Ling Qi's relationship with Meizhen was in good part wanting to repay her, not wanting to befriend her. You are hung up on an art being explicitely about being Jack Slash and taking it as saying "it's making Ling Qi evil" for some unknown reasons.

Maybe I should make a comparison here:

Passives:
+10 to Social Perception
+5 to Combat Perception
+5 to Initiative
+5 to Spiritual Armor

Max Level 5

Passives
+10 to Social Perception
+5 to Combat Perception
+5 to Spiritual Hit
+5 to Spiritual Avoid

Both arts focus on the same topics, here. It's how they approach the topic that's different:
Covetous:
  • Keywords: Dark, Desire, Empathy, Connection, Perceptiveness, Presence, Yin
  • reflections of drive of life, especially desire to be/live/take
  • Understands the desires of people, understand how to insinuate ourself in them
  • Understand how to tug people's desire so that we are the most important to them

Harmony:
  • Keywords: Connections, Empathy, Presence, Perceptiveness, Manipulation, Music, Wind, Yang
  • Find the beauty in the world, Find the pattern in the world and how things each things connect
  • Driven by curiosity, look at people
  • Plays on your connection to people to bolster their hopes, and the stronger your connection the more hope you give them
Keyword wise, Harmony has Manipulation rather than desire. It's about manipulating connections, rather than about desiring connections. It's about manipulating connections so that we can share our hope, rather than understanding people's desires to resolve our own.

This is Ling Qi's story, because it's how she has grown. Her strong desire to cling and buy to her friend was always secondary to her strong desire to make her friends happy in the only ways she could find, and the more she loved her friends the more she wanted to give to them, rather than the more vulnerable they were the more we wanted to insinuate ourself.

It's about themes, here. There is no evil arts, whatever you are trying to pretend. There are themes.

Lets go back to the basics of this argument because you seemed to be bouncing all over the place and either I am several misunderstanding what you are saying or you are several misunderstanding what I am saying.

So, a Perception/Succubus/Blood knight art focused on controlling people's emotions to get them to play to our tunes. A.K.A Jack Slash 101. I... don't know why we'd even look at this one at all.

You don't think anyone should look at this art. Why? What is wrong with an art that acts like a succubus or a blood knight or like Jack slash. Why would we not want this art?

Back