Given the martians' response to Alchemist's mental voice, I wonder if he should stick around and get mind-speech lessons/therapy.

The parasite/fungus… I completely agree with the "I ate what" response. I doubt it'll affect him, but it's not something I'd want to be exposed to without studies being done first.

Finally, while I don't know the in-cartoon explanation for the bioship, I find myself recalling Doctor Who's "My thief" after that datum.

Alchemist had to choose between being impolite, by not using his baseform, and unsettling by being in his eldrich baseform

Last edited:
Alchemist needs to get a protoss khala going for them.

Alchemist does seem to give out some rather good personal advice. Be patient and wait. That's what he is doing with Jinx. Their triad will be around for thousands of years. If she can wait 10 years to be in her mid-twenties, then she'd be legal and have far fewer age issues.

Megan needs to wait about the same amount of time. Connor might be shocked by the massive family that she has. I don't think he is remotely ready to face that crowd.

So does Megan count as a farm/ranch girl?

Can someone remind me what the Ash Tree thing does?

Yggdrasil and its saplings act as... spiritual anchors, after a fashion. They can reinforce reality around them as well as connect across various realms with no regard to physical distance. This helps to encourage the overall quality and quantity of life in the worlds that are connected.

Through which specific mechanism this functions, I... genuinely can't be sure. Yggdrasil, depending on the lore, predated the gods. However, it is also canon to the actual myth that there is a dragon literally eating at its roots, something I may have taken a bit of artistic liberty with.

In DC Canon, their Yggdrasil was actually planted on Earth in the far past by a chronologically displaced Swamp Thing and acted as a sort of heart for The Green, the living energy form representing plant life on Earth.

What it will mean for Swamp Thing or Poison Ivy, what with the two saplings (so far) born from a foreign world that don't adhere to their rules, I haven't decided yet. Still, spreading around a handful of Yggdrasil saplings should have a significant impact... in a few hundred years. Assuming nothing kills them.

With the world-spanning/walking aspects of Yggdrasil I'm half expecting a Void Dragon planting World Ash saplings on the 'Nine Realms Planets' of the solar system to have not just potent magical and spiritual impact, especially with the whole White Light Entity and 90% of magic being there, but also stabilising and defensive benefits even to more mundane alien invasions, catastrophes and potentially even things like Crisis events.

There are druid spells in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting that could ensure that the Yggdrasil sapling will survive and grow to be nice and strong.

Here's the .pdf for the (publicly available) 3.5 setting rules, complete with spell lists.

Nurturing Seeds, Plant Renewal, Clear Water, Conservation, Eye of the Storm, and (possibly) Wild Lands are all ones to look into.

Last edited:
There are druid spells in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting that could ensure that the Yggdrasil sapling will survive and grow to be nice and strong.

Here's the .pdf for the (publicly available) 3.5 setting rules, complete with spell lists.

Nurturing Seeds, Plant Renewal, Clear Water, Conservation, Eye of the Storm, and (possibly) Wild Lands are all ones to look into.

If you want to be extra sure on its health then the Tree fertilizer from Stardew Valley works well, not only does it speed up a trees growth significantly but it's also fertilizer so it can be Item World'd

If you want to be extra sure on its health then the Tree fertilizer from Stardew Valley works well, not only does it speed up a trees growth significantly but it's also fertilizer so it can be Item World'd
He could also item world the seeds before he plants them.

I am now wondering what the biggest thing he can item world is, and if it improves as he levels it up. If so he could eventually item world an entire world.

Where did we find out Dream was talking to M'Comm?

...What?

The chapter ended with M'gann talking about Alchemist's meeting with Dream at the end of the Bialya debacle.

Her parents and sibling, being typical members of their species and not some ridiculous outliers like M'gann or J'onn, have probably never interacted with any of their gods. So hearing that this random stranger has done so, especially with the difficulty Martians have with outright deception among their own kind, got a response of confusion and sheer disbelief.

If I hadn't already used my one 'Fuck' for a T rated story, that would have been an exceptionally good spot to fill in a 'What... the absolute fuck?'

...What?

The chapter ended with M'gann talking about Alchemist's meeting with Dream at the end of the Bialya debacle.

Her parents and sibling, being typical members of their species and not some ridiculous outliers like M'gann or J'onn, have probably never interacted with any of their gods. So hearing that this random stranger has done so, especially with the difficulty Martians have with outright deception among their own kind, got a response of confusion and sheer disbelief.

If I hadn't already used my one 'Fuck' for a T rated story, that would have been an exceptionally good spot to fill in a 'What... the absolute fuck?'
They're Martians.

For them it's "f'uck".

...What?

Oh... No, I still don't see.
+goes and reread the final parts to be sure+
I think... The flow of M'Gann's speech with M'Comm being the PoV character makes it seem to me that she was telling M'Comm that she is going to tell M'Ree that M'Comm met Dream.

Instead of M'Gann telling Alchemist that.

I think?

"We actually have a lot more," the creature spoke, its empty voice grating into M'comm's mind. "I have more room in my home so everyone can serve themselves. You're all invited, of course. You can even take a look at Earth, if you wish to do so." 1

M'comm turned away from the delicious smelling things and forced himself to look at the creature. It was no Martian, M'comm could tell from feel and sound alike.

No, it was like something had taken a portion of the night sky over Mars and used it to make a creature of hard, black scales and burning yellow eyes.

It was looking at M'comm, its gaze betraying curiosity and thoughtfulness while its mind broadcast a dozen broken streams of interrupted thoughts, almost without pause.

It was unpleasant to look at. It was incredibly unpleasant to be around.

"That's a great idea!" M'gann exclaimed, clearly excited. "Oh, I'm going to go and call M'ree! She's not going to believe that you met Lord L'Zoril!" 2

M'comm forced himself to rip his eyes away from the bottomless abyss that was the creature's eyes to look wildly upon M'gann. The girl, so excited and happy, seemed oblivious to the sheer impossibility of what she'd just said!

"He- You-" Their mother, J'ann, mentally verbalized the raw confusion that he and his father both felt at that impossible statement. "-what?!" 3

The first person speaking in this particular exchange is Alchemist, his mental 'voice' being heard by everyone nearby. M'comm certainly wouldn't be inviting people to visit Earth, after all.

The second highlighted area would be M'gann, directly responding to Alchemist and then saying that she's going to relate something that he did to one of her sisters.

The third would be J'ann, M'gann's mother.

Unless specifically intended otherwise, I'd guess that Martian communication is generally projected and picked up on, rather than being point to point. Though, on Earth and among Earthlings, it does seem as though Martians either have to speak to a specific individual or else act as a communications hub to help cut down on animation costs...

Wait, that didn't come out right.

Hmm, the Martians' reactions to Alchemist are interesting, though they also make sense given a Void Dragon is literally an Eldritch/Cosmic Horror in the general shape of a dragon

Last edited:
Back