Everyone's talking about resistance and absorption, but nobody's talking about reflection items like the Franklin badge from mother two I think
I want to say that the Shield of the Crusader from TES: Oblivion has around a 18% chance to reflect any incoming spell on the highest level scaling, but that would be a terrible idea for several reasons.

One, I don't think it's a good idea in general for Al to go back to any version of Tamriel, considering Herma Mora's probably still so pissed he'd reach back in time to tear out his soul if Al ever set foot there again.

Two, that particular shield is connected to the Divines, and I don't know if they'd appreciate Al breaking one of their toys, even if he made a better one out of it and left them a copy.

Edit: Looking it up for a bit, The Shield of the Crusader is not even the most impressive item from Oblivion to have a spell reflecting enchantment. Spellbreaker has a 30% chance in that game, and the page for the Reflect Spell effect says it can be in spell form and go up to 100%.

Last edited:
I suppose it would, depending on exactly what he wants out of it.

He's looking into shoring up the weaknesses in his defenses without equipment. Boosting his soul would do that, especially if he started looking into ki training or the use of incarnum (3e D&D), both of which allow for the manipulation of soul energy.

The former (ki) is also closely linked to the physical body and one's mindset (especially determination, of which he has plenty), but if he loses his body or gets vastly reduced in physical strength (such as getting massively debuffed, reverting to a child's body, or becoming incorporeal and bodiless), his ki would be reduced, as well. This would be hugely offset if he could use his MP as ki points, however, which would definitely give him a massive boost.

The latter (incarnum) is purely soul-based, and it can be almost entirely unlocked with perks, but soulmelds (the primary expression of incarnum) are used in lieu of items, and they're not very strong. There are some unique and rather decent effects here and there, but it's mostly skill buffs, which Al doesn't need very much.

I'd suggest learning to use ki to enhance his defenses. If relatively low-level DB characters can tank energy blasts capable of destroying entire planets, I think it should be a good starting point, even if it does depend too much on his physical strength in addition to the power of his soul (although using MP to fuel his ki should mitigate that substantially).
Ki, Chi, and Qi are often considered vastly different things between game systems, given a variety of names as you unlock higher and higher forms of power.
Ki as described in D&D is nothing like the 'chi' often used in wuxia, and the Qi in Dragonball Z is clearly on a higher order entirely, even if they all sound very similar.
Point, however: The Magus in Pathfinder gets an Arcane Pool. There is a feat that allows Ki, as well as Panache and Grit (ki variants from Swashbucklers and Gunfighters, respectively) to be included as Arcane Pool points. Arcane Pool points can be used to Cast spells or add Metamagic to spells.
So the Feat to do what you want actually exists!

=+RED

Ki, Chi, and Qi are often considered vastly different things between game systems, given a variety of names as you unlock higher and higher forms of power.
Ki as described in D&D is nothing like the 'chi' often used in wuxia, and the Qi in Dragonball Z is clearly on a higher order entirely, even if they all sound very similar.
Point, however: The Magus in Pathfinder gets an Arcane Pool. There is a feat that allows Ki, as well as Panache and Grit (ki variants from Swashbucklers and Gunfighters, respectively) to be included as Arcane Pool points. Arcane Pool points can be used to Cast spells or add Metamagic to spells.
So the Feat to do what you want actually exists!

=+RED
Thanks for the find. What's the name of the feat?

As far as D&D ki goes, remember that Alchemist is NOT limited to D&D/PF, nor even RPGs. He's limited to games, and considering all of the games made for various properties (like, say, Dragon Ball), going after the kind of ki he would want isn't hard.

Depending on just how that works, there are some interesting cursed items in the Dragon Quest series. Wonder how it would interact with curses that set attributes to 0. Hapless Helm for Luck, Hela's Armor for Agility, Massacre Sword/Ruinous Shield for Defense, Skull Helm for Attack.

Given the recent focus on elemental and status bits, a reverse of the Terrible Tattoo could be useful. Cursed item giving +20% damage received from elemental attacks, 50% more susceptible to several status effects (Dazzle, Sleep, Confuse, Poison, Paralysis).
The opposite of setting an attribute to 0 is +100% to it, instead of -100% to it.

Thanks for the find. What's the name of the feat?

As far as D&D ki goes, remember that Alchemist is NOT limited to D&D/PF, nor even RPGs. He's limited to games, and considering all of the games made for various properties (like, say, Dragon Ball), going after the kind of ki he would want isn't hard.
Fully aware he can go searching for what he wants. Just pointing out that getting access to D&D Ki doesn't mean he gets Dragonball Qi.
The feat is Ki Arcana. Ki Arcana (Ex) – d20PFSRD

===Ael

As far as Defenses go, there's also Ablation and Redirection/absorption effects.
Here's a rabbit for your Hat: Lightning Rod.
It's a level 2 or 3 spell from the old City of Waterdeep boxed set. It attracts any lightning/electricity magic within sixty feet of the spell to whatever object it is cast on. Typically used on a bar of steel or something and thrown off to the side to redirect any lightning that comes its way.

Now, combine with the Elemental Feats or various Class Abilities that allow you to change the base Element of any spell into another one, typically among the four core Elements. In D&D, this is Cold/Fire/Acid/Lightning.

So, make up four Animated Captain America Shields that have Lightning Rod, Acid Pit, Heat Sink, and Cold Siphon on them, absorbing any attacks of those Elements used on you. He could probably expand the Shields to other Element types, and as long as he restricts his own attacks to energies which are not absorbed, he's fine.

Also, there's the simple tactic of Counterspelling and Dispels. As long as his Caster Level is higher and he can take 10 on the roll, he can absolutely shut down an opposing Caster. He's just got to have more spells/round than they do, and/or be able to get them off in combat.

Additionally, Asheron's Call has spells of protection against Slashing, Bludgeon, Pierce, Acid, Cold, Fire, and Lightning, which reduce damage by a % amount. Such things are probably common in many systems, although the the first three might be unusual. BUT... it also has Cantrips which can nullify up to 25% of the remaining damage. That may not seem like much, unless you combine it with a superior spell that already neutralizes 99% of the damage, or something...

I'll note the basic Protection from Fire/Lightning/Acid/Cold spells from D&D are damage ABLATION, absorbing 12 pts of dmg/Caster Level before being consumed. Given the numbers he has, that might not be much... but he can basically Cast them for nothing.

Lastly, Protection from Elements IS a higher-level D&D type spell, so absolute immunity to basic Elemental attacks is totally possible with one casting. He just has to expand it to other non-D&D types of damage... and it won't work on spells that are primal/divinely powered so as NOT to be 'basic' anymore, which I assume would be a lot of what he'd have to face.

===Ael

Wouldn't work for Alchemist, since he doesn't use classes and thus can't get a ki pool granted by a class.
There's a feat to gain a ki pool equivalent to that gained by taking a level in monk, so that's not a problem (although you only get a ki point or two when you do).
I was actually looking at the other problem, whether or not the Arcane Pool is equivalent to Alchemist's Mana Pool for these purposes.

If Al could use his MP as ki points to fuel DB-style ki, that would be a rather significant boost to his defensive ability, as well as give him quite a bit of offensive power and utility effects.

Ki can be shaped on the fly once you get good at shaping it, and not needing an encyclopedic knowledge of very specific spells because you can just shape it how you want can be quite useful, I'd think.

Maybe he could use some skill-boosting buffs to improve his "Perform: Ki Manipulation" skill to learn a lot of techniques that he can then experiment with?

Last edited:
Shark God's Skin x 5! ~~

TRIGON'S BANE: I know samurai used 🦈sharkskin as handle grips for their swords, so maybe use the Shark God's Skin as a grib when constructing Trigon's Bane.

🦈Sharkskin can also be used to make leather handbags and boots.

A hand grip on an HP-style wand:

• Wood: Ash (Yggdrasil sapling).
  • Core: 🐲🐉Void Dragon heartstring.
  • OPTIONAL: A tiny sliver of Tenth metal on the tip.
  • OPTIONAL: 🦈Shark God skin as a handle grip.
  • OPTIONAL: Living Steel pommel.

HP-wandlore:
Ash: wielders tend to be stubborn, not easily swayed from their believes or purposes.

Dragon heartstring: most temperamental, wielders tend to be flamboyant, easiest to turn to the Dark Arts.

Scene:
👠👢👡
Jinx: "These boots are divine."
Starfire: "They look great."
Jinx: "No, I mean they're literately divine. My brother(???) slew a 🦈Shark God and used its skin to make them."
Raven: o_O o_O o_O ???
Starfire: (appreciates turning your enemy's corpse into fashion accessories)
Starfire: :D "Such as a thoughtful brother!"

April Fools!
Project: Gamer Ver. 2 Alpha Build 0.Fish.1

Disclaimer Me Do: I own nothing you recognize. And most of what you don't recognize, I still don't own.

01/04/2024 (AF)

The night was wet and miserable, rain poured from the heavens in a ceaseless torrent that soaked the city. Trying and failing to wash away its countless sins.

From the rooftop of a nearby building, the Batman glared with narrowed eyes at the sight of a man, sitting in a lawn chair next to the skylight atop the Gotham City Police Department, sipping at a takeout coffee cup while the floodlight burned the Bat Symbol into the heavy clouds overhead.

That was not Jim Gordon.

Jim Gordon was a thin man with salt and pepper hair, glasses that were held together more by tape than metal and carried with him a permanent stink of old coffee and cigarettes.

The man that was just sitting next to the light was none of those things. A hefty individual with curly brown hair and no glasses to cover his eyes, which glowed just enough that Batman could make them out from where he sat, perched next to a gargoyle.

The bat narrowed his eyes underneath of his cowl as he stared into the gaze of the other man.

Who... waved at him.

Batman pitched forward, dropping off of the roof he'd been situated on. He flipped forward, once, and his hand lashed out with his grappling gun. It fired off with a sharp 'Pfft!' and the hooks latched on to the ledge of the police station. With a harsh, grinding 'Whirr' it began to retract, arresting his downward momentum with a jerk and reversing it. The small motor worked with such force that Bruce actually managed to overshoot, slightly, to look as though he leaped over the edge.

A critical tool in his arsenal, it had more than one villain half-convinced that he could fly.

Batman dropped into a three point stance and turned his head up, fixing his glare on to the stranger.

"Bravo, bra-vo!" Who was clapping at him. "Well done! Would've been more impressive if I hadn't watched you do it. Four out of seven, easy."

"...Who are you?" Bruce asked, the lackadaisical attitude already wearing at his fraying patience.

The rains overhead were soaking through his cape and it... itched, faintly.

"Who is but a function of what, Batman," the stranger responded as he did... something and made a second cup of coffee appear in his free hand, which he held out to Bruce. "And what I am is a man with a question."

Bruce glared down at the offered cup, which the man shook a little as though he were trying to entice a child.

"It's your fa~vorite. Black and miserable, just like your li~fe."

Bruce's glare got a bit more intense, not that the man with the coffee seemed to notice. Notably, he did not accept the coffee.

"Alright, save it for my Batman, then," the man said as he let go of the coffee. It dropped about an inch before it disappeared, back into whatever place he'd pulled it from. "So, question. I just got back from Jump City-"

Bruce started, slightly, at hearing that. His eyes went wide under his cowl, his gaze searched across the man's face for a clue, any sign about his intentions.

"-and I noticed that, uh, Robin? Dick? You know, your son? He's fucking furious. What happened?"

"How do you...? Who are you!" Bruce demanded as he clenched his fists and bent his knees. One wrong word, one wrong move and he'd be ready to pummel the man who clearly knew too much about his life.

"Seriously, that's unimportant," the man said, as though he actually believed that. "I just want to know why your kid is doing his best to pretend that you don't exist. It, uh, it's giving him a lot of issues. Anger issues."

"It's none of your business," Bruce growled as he turned around. The stranger never bothered getting up and Bruce had more important things to deal with. The caped crusader stomped off and hopped off the roof-

Just to end up right back in front of the man in the lawn chair?

"Bruce? That was me asking." The man stood from his chair and, at his full height, actually stood a bit below Bruce's own impressive height of six foot two. "Don't make me demand the answer. Neither of us will like what happens afterwards."

Bruce, rather than answer, lunged forward with his fists. His first blow struck the stranger on the chin and-

The stranger didn't even move.

"...Hard way it is, then," the man said as Bruce leaped back, his hands reaching for his belt-

Where was his belt?!

The stranger stomped his foot on the roof and Bruce saw a sigil burn itself into the material. A thick, heavy aura fell on to the man's shoulders.

"What happened?" The man asked once more before the aura over the roof grew so heavy that it dropped Bruce to his knees. "SPEAK!"

"Bar-tgirl... miscarried..." Bruce tried to fight the command, he even partially succeeded in masking Barbara's name. "When the Joker... shot her."

"Well, that's unfor... wait..." the stranger spoke, his voice thoughtful.

The weight on Bruce's shoulders lessened with the entity's distraction, enough for him to look up at least.

"Dick's a bit young to be a father," the thing mumbled as Bruce shakily managed to get a foot under him. "But if it'd been his, there wouldn't be so much rage targeted at you..."

Bruce froze in the act of standing up as something alien and other fixed him in its gaze. His head jerked, his petrified muscles fighting against him as he turned to look at the creature pretending to be a human and saw two, yellow, slitted eyes glaring at him. Through him.

"...I only met Martha once, Bruce," the creature said. "But she would be disgusted with you."

The thing turned away from Bruce, casually walking back to his lawnchair.

"I guess you really are the hero Gotham deserves," it said as it folded the chair up and made it disappear, like it had the cup of coffee earlier. "Aren't you, Bruce?"

The thing disappeared. There wasn't a snap, crackle or pop to say it had left. Just... one second it existed, then the next it was gone.

Bruce, Batman... just took a second to breathe. As the seconds passed, he managed to fight the remaining weight that lingered on him to get to his feet.

He was silent and introspective as he shut off the massive light with his symbol on it, dropping the roof into cold, wet, darkness.

...He still didn't know who that was.

Or what happened to his utility belt!

Jesus, I really hope thats not canon on Teen Titans. Please let it be april fools

Sorry you won't like that

Batman gets Batgirl/Barbara Gordon pregnant with his kid (Batman Beyond 2.0 #28)
Yeah, the Killing Joke has the two of them get explicit as well. While the overall comic was a good and haunting one, that particular bit, where Bruce and Barbara get it on? That was one of the squickiest parts, mainly because most iterations of Bruce look at Barbara, a girl less than half his age, and daughter of one of those rare people he calls a friend, as one of his adopted children.

Sorry you won't like that

Batman gets Batgirl/Barbara Gordon pregnant with his kid (Batman Beyond 2.0 #28)
Well that's... certainly a thing. A thing that someone thought of and went "Oh, that's a good idea!" and then took the time to actually draw it out and share it with others.

Is there an award for worst version of Batman? It's still the Batman who Laughs, but this is definitely runner up.

"Dick's a bit young to be a father," the thing mumbled as Bruce shakily managed to get a foot under him. "But if it'd been his, there wouldn't be so much rage targeted at you..."

Bruce froze in the act of standing up as something alien and other fixed him in its gaze. His head jerked, his petrified muscles fighting against him as he turned to look at the creature pretending to be a human and saw two, yellow, slitted eyes glaring at him. Through him.

"...I only met Martha once, Bruce," the creature said. "But she would be disgusted with you."

The thing turned away from Bruce, casually walking back to his lawnchair.

"I guess you really are the hero Gotham deserves," it said as it folded the chair up and made it disappear, like it had the cup of coffee earlier. "Aren't you, Bruce?"
Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't punish Bruce somehow. A curse of impotence, arranging him to be brought up on charges of statutory rape, etc...

Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't punish Bruce somehow. A curse of impotence, arranging him to be brought up on charges of statutory rape, etc...

At that point it stops being a fun 'fuck whoever wrote this plot' April Fools chapter and leads to depressing thought experiments of who gets affected by the fallout of the punishment, and then you get utilitarian debates on whether the punishment is a good thing or not. Probably for the best to avoid that.

Back