Alright, voting is now closed.
Scheduled vote count started by Imperial Fister on Feb 12, 2023 at 5:39 PM, finished with 71 posts and 9 votes.

• [X] Use 'Plan Say Hi To Mom'
    [X] New Plan
    [X] Plan: Val Halla
    -[X] (Seasonal) The fields need to be cleared.
    -[X] (Personal) Spend time with...
    --[X] Steinarr
    ---[X] talk about what happened in "a Walk on the Ice final"
    -[X] (Visit) Go visit...
    --[X] Runby, Aki's Farm
    ---[X] Try to make friend with Aki
    -[X] (Training) Hamr (3 successes to rank up)
    --[X] 3d6 to Hamr itself
    -[X] (Training) Hugr (4 successes to rank up)
    --[X] 4d6 to Hugr itself
    -[X] (Orthstirr Usage)
    --[X] 2d6 Hamr
    --[X] 3d6 Hugr
    --[X] 1d6 Silver-Tongue (Friendly Talking) Rank (1)
    --[X] 3d6 free for tricks

Summer 2/Turn 1
[X] Plan Say Hi To Mom
-[X] (Seasonal) The fields need to be cleared.
-[X] (Personal) Spend time with...
--[X] Mother
-[X] (Exploration) Go on a walk through...
--[X] The Hading!
---[X] Try to get even deeper than before.
--[X] 3d6 to Hamr itself
-[X] (Training) Hugr (4 successes to rank up)
--[X] 4d6 to Hugr itself
-[X] (Orthstirr Usage)
--[X] 2d6 Hamr
--[X] 2d6 Hugr
--[X] 1d6 free for tricks
0~0~0
(Hamr Training: 1, 2, 6) Neutral result, 1 Success
Gah!

You groan as you slump down on a log, sweat drenching your body.

You'd asked for Abjorn to help you with your hamr. Little did you know that he regularly runs the entire length of the damned Hading!

Abjorn laps you for the third time. You want to wipe that damned grin off his stupidly handsome face.

You blink. Where'd that come from?

(+1 Success to Hamr, 2 Successes left)

0~0~0
(Hugr Training: 4, 3, 3, 5) 5 Successes
...Why do you want to try making poetry, all of the sudden?

Sure, you've been thinking about it a lot — for reasons that have nothing to do with Abjorn! — but where would you even start doing that?

Well, guess you'd better get started?

But what to make it about?

Heat creeps up your cheeks.

"Nope!"

(Hugr Rank Up! 7 Successes left)
(Skill: Poetry Learned! 1 Success till Rank Up)
0~0~0
The year, by the reckoning of the followers of Christ, is 8971 AD and you, Halla Steinarsdottir, have just turned thirteen.

"Dad?" There's a grim look on your beloved father — Steinarr Hallsson's — face as he steps through the doorway. "How was..."

You trail off, not wanting to give voice to your worries.

Steinarr shakes a small bit of snow from his shoulders and hangs his cloak on the rack. "The headsman ruled that your killing of Lori Burisson was legal and that a wergild must be paid."

"And Buri accepted?" Your mother — Asveig Rovisdottir — sounds surprised at that. She's currently working with Asva to turn wool into cloth while Randi prepares the mid-day meal. "I thought that he would've jumped at the opportunity."

"He certainly thought about it," Steinarr says with a nod as he sits down at the hearth. Randi brings him a warm bowl of stew, which he happily accepts. "But I suppose he wants my money more than my life, at the moment." He strokes his chin and jaw as he swallows a mouthful of sheep stew. "Could also be that he didn't want to be known as the man who was trying to kill a girl."

"How much are we paying?" Asveig asks, sitting down next to Steinarr as Randi brings her a bowl. She accepts it without a word.

"Four cows and their calves."

"Steep."

"Cheap, given the circumstances." Steinarr shrugs, spoon in hand. "If it were Eric or Sten who died... I would've demanded three times that, at least."

"You have fewer sons."

"He loves them less."

Buri Borrusson was known throughout the valley for two things, his 'sticky fingers' and his many, many children. He did not have just one or two or even three sons, he had eleven — now ten — sons from one wife and four concubines. He also had a smattering of daughters, though their faces and names escape you.

Lori Burisson wasn't the most stand-out of Buri's sons, though he was noted for above-average spearwork for his age. You suppose that, if you had as many sons as Buri does, losing a middling son like that wouldn't be as big a deal to you.

You grimace, a queasy feeling rising from your gut. Gagging, you admonish yourself for even thinking such a horrid thought. How could Buri possibly feel that way towards his own children? You could never do that to your future sons and daughters.

But... speaking of children...

Your grimace deepens. Maybe it's a good idea to start learning how to be a good wife? A good mother?

You sigh, knowing who you're going to have to talk to about that.

"Hey... Mom?" Your voice quivers slightly as Asveig looks your way. There's a stern glint to her gaze, like she suspects you of something. "C-can you maybe show me how to, uh, how to take care of a family?"

Your parents' brows rise high on both their heads. Asveig's eyes soften, though the suspicion is still there — and probably won't ever truly leave it — it's now undercut by a layer of cautious happiness.

"I'd love to, Halla." For the first time since immediately after Helgi died, there's a level of fondness to the way she says your name.

You smile, she smiles back.

"Are... Are mom and Halla actually getting along?" Asva whispers to Eric, who looks as dumbfounded as she does.

He wipes at his eyes, but you're still there when he looks again. "I almost can't believe it, but..."

You roll your eyes. Maybe this womanly stuff won't be so bad?

0~0~0

Maybe it's always been this way, but is Asveig's stomach larger than it normally is?

"Hey, mom?" You ask as you work the weaving bench. Your mother sits beside you, humming a soft tune to herself as she guides your hands. You have to admit, it's... not as bad as you were expecting, spending all day with Asveig.

Doesn't hold a candle to spending all day outdoors, with Steinarr and Eric, but...

It's nice.

"Yes, Halla?"

"Are yo- Is your stomach bigger than usual?" You'd almost asked if she was 'fatter than normal', but even you know that one wouldn't go over well.

The humming stops.

"I'm pregnant, Halla." She looks at you with an expression of vague concern. "You've had to have seen this before, with Sven and," her voice falters for a split-second, "and Helgi."

"You're pregnant." You don't know what that word means.

Asveig sighs. "It means that you, gods willing, will have another sibling, soon."

"Oh."

Your mother frowns, an unpleasant thought glimmering in her eye. "Do you... Do you know how one gets pregnant?"

"...No?"

Asveig's teeth click together as she sets her jaw, determination writ into her gaze. "Alright, then."

The hair on the back of your neck stands tall like an army in a shield-wall. Calls of alarm ring out in your mind.

Asveig opens her mouth and begins to speak.

You regret ever opening yours.

(+1 Relationship with Mother)
(What has been learned cannot be unlearned)
0~0~0
(Hamingja: 2, 1, 3) 1 Failure
You're in the fields, scythe in hand, Flekkr at your side.

You're trying your best to focus on the task at hand, that of clearing the fields for planting, but how are you supposed to do that when you just learned how babies are made!? How you were made!

A shudder runs down your spine.

And that's not to mention the 'changes' Asveig said were likely going to start happening soon.

...Great.

Just great.

You sigh and Flekkr licks your hand. Smiling, you pet the good boy.

At least you've got Flekkr! Odin knows that Asva's not any help...

Hey, maybe Flekkr can help you with finding that witch?

0~0~0
(Hading Exploration: 4, 6, 1, Reroll (Flekkr): 6) 5 Successes
Okay, taking Flekkr along was an incredibly good idea!

Tail wagging and tongue lolling, Flekkr perfectly leads you through the monster-infested forest. Heck, you don't even see any monsters!

Good boy, Flekkr!

But...

But even he's stumped by what lays before you.

A wall of overgrown bushes stretches from the forest floor to the treetops far above. If you look closely, you can see monster skeletons engulfed by the plants, some of them look rather... fresh. One even still has blood on it!

This must be where the witch lives, but how are you supposed to get in?

You could try climbing over... You eye the bodies in the hedge with suspicion-filled eyes. Probably not a good idea.

Maybe if you walked around the whole thing, you'd find an entrance?

Or maybe there's some sort of spell you need to know to open the way?

Regardless, it's getting rather late in the day and staying out after-dark in the monster-infested Hading is not as appealing as one might imagine.

You can try some ideas tomorrow, or next week, or whenever you next get around to it.
(You're on the Witch's doorstep, just a little more and you're in.)
0~0~0
Seasonal (Pick 1):
[ ] (Seasonal) You've run out of the firewood from last winter, time to go get some more.
[ ] (Seasonal) The fields need to be furrowed and seeded.
[ ] (Seasonal) Check and reset the animal traps.
[ ] (Seasonal) Help out with the animals.
0~0~0
Personal (Pick 1):
[ ] (What Happened to Me?) Something happened to you, start asking around.
-[ ] Who? (Write in)
[ ] (Personal) You've got some strange feelings towards Abjorn that you need to start working through. (Hugr)
[ ] (Personal) Abjorn came by, asking if you wanted to go chop wood with him. (Hamr)
[ ] (Personal) Stigr came by, asking if you wanted to go fishing with him. (Hamr)
[ ] (Personal) Ask Randi to tell you some stories
-[ ] (Optional) Write in
[ ] (Violent) Pick a fight or spar with...
-[ ] Eric, your older brother, for fun
-[ ] Steinarr, as part of your training
-[ ] One of the local boys, for violence! (Optional Write In)
-[ ] Asva (You doubt she'd be willing to fight you, but maybe you can needle her enough?)
[ ] (Personal) Spend time with... (Write in)
[ ] (Crafting) Try to make something (Write in) (Hugr)
0~0~0
Exploration/Travel (Pick 1)
[ ] (Visit) Go visit...
-[ ] Asvir!
-[ ] Vidby, Abjorn's Farm
-[ ] Kerby, Stigr's Farm
-[ ] Buriby, Osborn's Farm (Has a guaranteed chance of ending in a fight)
-[ ] Glebby, Sverre's Farm
-[ ] Runby, Aki's Farm
-[ ] One of the two undiscovered farms
--[ ] The newly built one to the north
--[ ] The one at the bottom of the river
[ ] (Exploration) Go on a walk through...
-[ ] The fields!
-[ ] The Hading!
--[ ] Try to climb over the Hedge
--[ ] Try to find a way into the Hedge
-[ ] The hills!
0~0~0
Training: You have 7d6 training dice to spend as you see fit.
[ ] (Training) Hamr (3 successes to rank up)
-[ ] (Optional) Train a hamr skill or trick (Write in)
-[ ] (Steinarr's Training) (Optional) Ask Steinarr to teach you a trick (Write in)
[ ] (Training) Hugr (7 successes to rank up)
-[ ] (Optional) Train a hugr skill or trick (Write in)
0~0~0
Orthstirr Available: 9
How do you want to use your orthstirr?
[ ] (Orthstirr Usage) (Write in)
0~0~0
(Random POV: 2)

Eyes of blue fire open.

Limbs of rotten bone flex.

Ancient swords are drawn.

Death stalks the Hading.
0~0~0

AN: Halla learns some disturbing information and a danger is revealed. Lemme know if I'm going a bit overboard on the whole 'Abjorn crush thing'.

25-minute moratorium.

So, Halla got the facts of life, Halla learned what puberty is, and she learned poetry.
Poetry shouldn't be underestimated in a setting where the reputation is this important.

I think it's fun, yeah. I don't remember my own experiences all that well (thankfully) but it seems realistic enough.

I'm keen on pushing for the witch. Sure, draugr are a danger, but facing danger is good for our growth. Other than that, I think we need to pursue What Happened to Me, and I'd be interested in learning traps and snares.

I'm keen on pushing for the witch. Sure, draugr are a danger, but facing danger is good for our growth. Other than that, I think we need to pursue What Happened to Me, and I'd be interested in learning traps and snares.

Would you be ok with moving the next witch exploration up a turn so halla can try to make friend with Aki?
And do one turn of more social focussed stuff?

[X] Plan: Val Halla, Skald Halla
-[X] (Seasonal) You've run out of the firewood from last winter, time to go get some more.
-[X] (What Happened to Me?) Something happened to you, start asking around.
--[X] Steinarr
--[X] The Hading!
---[X] use your currency to buy a good meal as offering, carry it to the hedge, If you can't find an entrance call out to the 'witch' requesting permission to enter.
-[X] (Training) Hugr (7 successes to rank up)
--[X] 4d6 to Poetry
---[X] if a topic is needed for a poem to make during training, make it about the heroics of your friends during the fight of "A Walk on the Ice"
--[X] (Steinarr's Training) 3d6 ask about combining Barb-Tongue and Poetry to make your insults more biting/memorable
-[X] (Orthstirr Usage)
--[X] 2d6 Hamr
--[X] 3d6 Hugr

Last edited:
The crush is amazing and I only want more of it.

Tentative plan, as I still don't think anyone we currently know will have a lot of insight into what happened, and we're almost there with the witch:

[X] Plan Keep Looking For The Witch
-[X] (Seasonal) Check and reset the animal traps.
-[X] (Personal) Abjorn came by, asking if you wanted to go chop wood with him. (Hamr)
--[X] The Hading!
---[X] Try to climb over the Hedge
--[X] Train Hamr itself - 3d6
--[X] Train Shield 3d6
--[X] Train Poetry 1d6
-[X] (Orthstirr Usage)
--[X] 2d6 Hamr
--[X] 4d6 Hugr
--[X] 2d6 Climbing

Might go for shield skill over axe if it were possible, but I don't think it is until we get the skill at level 0? I could probably also be convinced to put a bit more into Poetry if people wanted.

EDIT: Switched from axe to shield. Added 1 die each to Hugr and free dice when Orthstirr went up.

Added approval vote:

[X] Plan Keep Looking For The Witch But No Climbing

Last edited:
Would you be ok with moving the next witch exploration up a turn so halla can try to make friend with Aki?
And do one turn of more social focussed stuff?

[X] Plan: Val Halla, skald halla
-[X] (Seasonal) You've run out of the firewood from last winter, time to go get some more.
-[X] (What Happened to Me?) Something happened to you, start asking around.
--[X] Steinarr
-[X] (Visit) Go visit...
--[X] Runby, Aki's Farm
---[X] Try to make friend with Aki
--[X] 4d6 to Poetry
---[X] if a topic is needed for a poem to make during training, make it about the heroics of your friends during the fight of "A Walk on the Ice"
---[X] (Steinarr's Training) ask about combining Barb-Tongue and Poetry to make your insults more biting/memorable
-[X] (Orthstirr Usage)
--[X] 2d6 Hamr
--[X] 3d6 Hugr
That sounds fine, yeah! Especially since we could ask them about the witch. I think you need to put 3d6 training dice somewhere though.

I'd like to get our hamr up. Dumping all of training dice into hugr and Barb-Tongue doesn't sit right with me, especially when we just ranked it up.

...Although, now that I think about it, is there any reason to put orthstirr into our climbing, @DeadmanwalkingXI? Why would we need climbing in the middle of combat? Unless it works outside of combat? If so, then I still thinkwe only need 1 orthstirr in climbing, and should have 3 orthstirr in reserve. Don't want to be caught on the backfoot if we get ambushed by draugr.

[X] Plan Keep Looking For The Witch But No Climbing

Last edited:
but I don't think it is until we get the skill at level 0?
You can train anything as a skill, regardless if its on your sheet or not (within reason. Obviously you can't train seidr and the like on your own). I've been bad about giving out level 0s, sorry. That's my bad.

I'll mark down Shield, Dodge, and Overland as level 0 hamr skills and Woodworking as a level 0 hugr skill.

I feel like there's another one I'm forgetting, but I can't put my finger on it.

Last edited:

I'd like to get our hamr up. Dumping all of training dice into hugr and Barb-Tongue doesn't sit right with me, especially when we just ranked it up.

...Although, now that I think about it, is there any reason to put orthstirr into our climbing, @DeadmanwalkingXI? Why would we need climbing in the middle of combat? Unless it works outside of combat? If so, then I still thinkwe only need 1 orthstirr in climbing, and should have 3 orthstirr in reserve. Don't want to be caught on the backfoot if we get ambushed by draugr.

Generally, we don't get the opportunity to use orthstirr in actions that don't become full scenes with a vote. I don't think climbing would count which means we need to assign it now to climb over the hedge.

You can train anything as a skill, regardless if its on your sheet or not (within reason. Obviously you can't train seidr and the like on your own). I've been a bit bad about giving out level 0s.

I'll mark down Shield, Dodge, and Overland as level 0 hamr skills and Woodworking as a level 0 hugr skill.

I feel like there's another one I'm forgetting, but I can't put my finger on it.

Hmmm. We need both shield and dodge, I think. Rearranging plan slightly to train Shield instead of Axes.

Last edited:
You can train anything as a skill, regardless if its on your sheet or not (within reason. Obviously you can't train seidr and the like on your own). I've been a bit bad about giving out level 0s.

Maybe
(Hugr (Tactics): 4, 2, 5, 2) 2 Successes
?

I mean, so might mine (I do have Poetry training in there), plus we actually get to interact with him in mine.
Ah, good point. My error in overlooking those parts of the plan.

Still want to try to make Aki part of the gang.

We just unlocked a culturally important skill. And can make that skill support us in battle.

Back