Maybe it's Randi who might know something?
She is a thrall for Steinar, so if he went on adventures she probably tagged along?

I mean, why ask Randi if we can ask Steinar himself? I doubt she'd know more than him. Not to mention I don't actually think Randi went with him, considering how she's a woman and people don't view them as warriors.

Sure, I agree with you there. She could have some small secret that she's hiding from us. It's just that I see being a witch as a pretty big deal, and I don't see any reason why our mother wouldn't tell us about it if she really was one.

This isn't directed at you, by the way - I'm aware you don't really think she's a witch. More like I'm explaining why I think we'd know if our mother was a witch or not.

It also depends on how common seidr is. Like, I agree she's probably not 'a witch', for whatever definition that has, but our brother can conjure blades of air with hugareidr, and he's not mentioned as a sorcerer or even particularly notable, and we only know about that because we got a snapshot of his character sheet. If seidr is as common as hugareidr (which it easily might be), then I expect mom actually may well have some (as might many women), just not enough to qualify as a witch (which would presumably involve a lot more of it).

That's really the scenario I was thinking of when mentioning her potentially having seidr, not being a full-blown witch. And that scenario could be completely false and seidr really is spectacularly rare and the province of witches alone, but I don't think we should necessarily assume that either way.

It also depends on how common seidr is. Like, I agree she's probably not 'a witch', for whatever definition that has, but our brother can conjure blades of air with hugareidr, and he's not mentioned as a sorcerer or even particularly notable, and we only know about that because we got a snapshot of his character sheet. If seidr is as common as hugareidr (which it easily might be), then I expect mom actually may well have some (as might many women), just not enough to qualify as a witch (which would presumably involve a lot more of it).

That's really the scenario I was thinking of when mentioning her potentially having seidr, not being a full-blown witch. And that scenario could be completely false and seidr really is spectacularly rare and the province of witches alone, but I don't think we should necessarily assume that either way.

That's fair enough, I suppose. I was thinking from a more historical viewpoint, rather than a xianxia one, so you might actually be right about her having a few seidr spells.

@Imperial Fister
How much will Halla tell her dad if we don't explicitly choose to spend time with him?
She'll tell him what went down, that something weird happened that she can't quite explain.

Steinarr's hoping that this'll all blow over and that paying a weregeld will solve it.
and he's not mentioned as a sorcerer or even particularly notable
Poor Eric, all the badassery went to his older brother and younger sister and left none for him.

Unrelated note, there were a lot of dice being thrown around there, is that just average among young Norse or are they just freaks of nature?

Also, that finishing blow just sort of cleaved him from top to bottom, does that technically qualify as progress towards our Perk?

Last edited:
I mean, she literally just removed his limbs and then bisected what remained. Strictly speaking, that's pretty scary!

Clearly berserkcleaving a man in two should instead progress us towards Wise Little Sister, as killing a man in a way that leaves him less dangerous as a Draugr is the wisest of decisions.

Could Halla hear the voice of whatever possessed her? If she did, then my next question would be if the voice sounded particularly feminine or masculine.

Unrelated note, there were a lot of dice being thrown around there, is that just average among young Norse or are they just freaks of nature?

Eric, at 16, was shown with Hamr 3, Hugr 5, Spear 4, Glima 2, Knife 1, Shield 2, Hugareidr: Wind 1, 10 relevant combat tricks, and Orthstirr 16. Again, he's mentioned as 'a little timid' not a force of nature in battle or anything. I suspect he's actually a bit above average aside from low-ish Hamr, but he can't be too exceptional I don't think.

So I think, based on that, what we saw was within expectations for people our age...well, other than the possession anyway, that part was unusual to say the least.

@Imperial Fister with magic and seidr being a thing, are there any doctor/healing/weed man/woman in the village/hamlet we are in or is healing done in the family?
Thanks to xianxia, medicine can do some crazy shenanigans. Like, as Steinarr's said, reattach limbs. As long as a limb is still relatively intact, it can be stuck back on. Rule of thumb is that unless they're dead, they can be healed, no matter the wound.

But to answer your question, there are three 'healers' in Asvir, alongside a couple apprentices each. There's the two normal healers, though one specializes in surgery and the other specializes in medicine, and then there's the midwife, whose job it is to monitor the health of expecting mothers and their unborn children.
A little of column A and a little of column B. Abjorn's pretty freaky, though his naturally high hamr hasn't been tempered by skill. Stigr's luck hasn't gotten much of the spotlight yet, but he's one lucky sunnovabitch. Halla's freaky as well, but not as much when compared to your average young man.
Could Halla hear the voice of whatever possessed her?
This time, no. She was far too focused on, well, everything going on to pay attention to the itty bitty voice in her head. Her subconscious did, though, which is why it was invisitext. If you guys pursue the voice, should it happen again, then it'll grow louder.
If she did, then my next question would be if the voice sounded particularly feminine or masculine.
Masculine and grizzly.

Voting will be called in an hour-and-a-half

That crosses off Freyja (and all the other female gods) and the valkyries, then. The theory that it was Odin is more credible now, but I don't know enough about Norse mythology to assume that Odin is the only one that fits such a description.

The seidr makes any other God unlikely, I'm pretty sure Odin is the only one who learned that. Maybe one of the Vanir, I suppose, but it doesn't fit any of the named ones that I can think of. Could be something other than a God, though, like the fylgja theory.

But to answer your question, there are three 'healers' in Asvir, alongside a couple apprentices each. There's the two normal healers, though one specializes in surgery and the other specializes in medicine, and then there's the midwife, whose job it is to monitor the health of expecting mothers and their unborn children.
Good. Gooood.
if do go apprenticing, lets try the surgeon first, maybe cutting people up can sate or slow down bloodlust :p

And hey! Even if we dont, we learned a VERY useful trick will still bring in some money when we start going to war, helping out the real healers, or patch up others (or ourselves) so they can reach them!

Edit:
The seidr makes any other God unlikely, I'm pretty sure Odin is the only one who learned that. Maybe one of the Vanir, I suppose, but it doesn't fit any of the named ones that I can think of. Could be something other than a God, though, like the fylgja theory.

Could potentially be a ghost or some sort of lesser spirit, I would think. Or, given we're xianxia, a Spirit Grandpa.
Dont forget the axe! it could have been the Lingering Hamingja that helped us kill the thief as well.

Last edited:
And hey! Even if we dont, we learned a VERY useful trick will still bring in some money when we start going to war, helping out the real healers, or patch up others (or ourselves) so they can reach them!

Honestly, the trick we learned is way too expensive to use in anything but an emergency, IMO. It's a wonderful card to have up our sleeve, but not one we can use often enough to be something we focus on. Now, combined with other medical skills is another matter and we should keep that thought in mind, but on its own we're probably using it once per battle at most. We'll technically eventually be able to do more than that, but we need a whole lot of orthstirr before it's actually viable (I'd be hesitant to use it more than once or twice even at 40 orthstirr, so we're talking a whole lot before it's really valid).

On an unrelated note, I feel that we should try to learn basic first aid as soon as we can, along with increasing our physical stats and weapon stats. I doubt that the families of Osborn and Hod will accept a weregeld and forgive us.

Finding the witch would also be nice, but I'm not sure whether we would be able to learn anything that'd be useful in time for the feud (war?).

Eh, even a simple application like "send our spirit out to scout" or "have our spirit set a watch" has all sorts of tactical applications.

Those sound like pretty complex spells, like Healing Palm and Healing Palm requires 20 orthstirr, meaning we literally can't cast it. I don't doubt that there are spells we can learn that we can cast, it's just that I doubt such cheap spells would be more of a priority over learning first aid.

On an unrelated note, I feel that we should try to learn basic first aid as soon as we can, along with increasing our physical stats and weapon stats. I doubt that the families of Osborn and Hod will accept a weregeld and forgive us.

Finding the witch would also be nice, but I'm not sure whether we would be able to learn anything that'd be useful in time for the feud (war?).

Generally agreed, assuming we don't find her this turn (though we probably keep looking? It doesn't take away from training, after all). If we do find her then the priorities might shift depending on whether she's willing to teach us, and what she's willing to teach us (as KreenWarrior notes, some spells might be very useful indeed in scouting, to say nothing of what might be possible if it was our fylgja who possessed us...what if our fylgja is a bear? That's not the best for scouting, but it's probably handy in a fight).

Learning direct combative magics like Eric knows is also an option, but we should raise our physical combat more first.

Your fylgja has actually helped you out 'on screen' a few times. I won't point them out to you, not yet at least, but they're there.

Back