Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Wow. The shrill hostility is real.

If you really want to bash Thorthemighty over his misunderstanding of the Butterfly effect, then I suggest you move it out of the thread because this capital letter bold font lynch mob is getting ridiculous.

One little event might have massive implication in later events. In this context, history will be rewritten. (I really hope that is not meant to carry irony tags, else I'm looking like an ass.)

And just maybe, they'll be ready if/when the Abyssals arrive, decades from then. (There's theory to what abyssals are, but how did they came to be? Is there something higher up?)

Last edited:
One little event might have massive implication in later events. In this context, history will be rewritten. (I really hope that is not meant to carry irony tags, else I'm looking like an ass.)

And just maybe, they'll be ready if/when the Abyssals arrive, decades from then. (There's theory to what abyssals are, but how did they came to be? Is there something higher up?)

Oh okay! Thanks.

Real big help their! So basically everything that I know about World War II, I can basically throw out the window.

Last edited:
Oh okay! Thanks.

Real big help their! So basically everything that I know about World War II, I can basically throw out the window.
Technically everything in the US up to June 21, 1940 has been OTL, but once Thompson arrives everything is in freefall. Currently, Thompson and Richardson are meeting with Admiral Stark and the President himself to explain the existence of shipgirls.

Schrieber has also been messing around before April 1940 too, so Europe is also being bent out of shape.

Currently, the only thing that Thompson can accurately predict is Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941 so he is preparing that and bracing for the worst.

Technically everything in the US up to June 21, 1940 has been OTL, but once Thompson arrives everything is in freefall. Currently, Thompson and Richardson are meeting with Admiral Stark and the President himself to explain the existence of shipgirls.

Schrieber has also been messing around before April 1940 too, so Europe is also being bent out of shape.

Currently, the only thing that Thompson can accurately predict is Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941 so he is preparing that and bracing for the worst.

Makes sense to me now! Alright! Still, President Roosevelt is a Navy man, he will probably understand quite a bit. I mean, he loved the Navy so much. So, yeah, it's going to be something interesting I have to admit. Still, ugh, politics!

And even that, he can't accurately predict. He can only predict that the Japanese will conduct an air attack on Pearl Harbor just before 8AM on a Sunday in December 1941, most likely in the first half of the month, with a very slight possibility of happening in late November or early January 1942 instead. Remember, the Taranto raid, in this, went off a day earlier than OTL, and some other things have happened early or late compared to OTL thanks to the butterflies, too. While there were very good reasons for the attack happening at 0755 on Sunday, the Japanese high command could have just as easily decided to run it on November 24, December 1, December 14, December 21, or even December 28 instead of December 7--it's just a matter of when they decided to set the deadline for a diplomatic solution.

And even that, he can't accurately predict. He can only predict that the Japanese will conduct an air attack on Pearl Harbor just before 8AM on a Sunday in December 1941, most likely in the first half of the month, with a very slight possibility of happening in late November or early January 1942 instead. Remember, the Taranto raid, in this, went off a day earlier than OTL, and some other things have happened early or late compared to OTL thanks to the butterflies, too. While there were very good reasons for the attack happening at 0755 on Sunday, the Japanese high command could have just as easily decided to run it on November 24, December 1, December 14, December 21, or even December 28 instead of December 7--it's just a matter of when they decided to set the deadline for a diplomatic solution.

True! Which is what makes this story so exciting and interesting! Mainly because of the fact that history is being rewritten in this story because of the Butterfly Effect!

While there were very good reasons for the attack happening at 0755 on Sunday, the Japanese high command could have just as easily decided to run it on November 24, December 1, December 14, December 21, or even December 28 instead of December 7--it's just a matter of when they decided to set the deadline for a diplomatic solution.
And to add to the craziness, if they hit Pearl on any other day rather than December 7, the composition of ships might change in Pearl considerably.

Which means, Enterprise is in port......

Well, the Butterfly Effect and a few well placed Navy men in various countries doing their damnedest to kick history in the nuts.
And for all their dedication, the big slaughter won't be stopped. In the end, the Pacific War and the War for the Atlantic weren't what claimed the most lives. The Eastern Front and China were where massive armies clashed and brought death tolls that surpassed WWI by far.

And for all their dedication, the big slaughter won't be stopped. In the end, the Pacific War and the War for the Atlantic weren't what claimed the most lives. The Eastern Front and China were where massive armies clashed and brought death tolls that surpassed WWI by far.
No doubt, but they have to do what they can. It would be damn hard to be in their position and not try to at least do something.

Odd thought I had just now. @Skywalker_T-65 When he was in his time of origin, could Thompson see the spirits of modern ships that were still in service?

Last edited:
Odd thought I had just now. @Skywalker_T-65 When he was in his time of origin, could Thompson see the spirits of modern ships that were still in service?
Doubtful. It's only because of his extensive exposure to shipgirls and the related bullshit that he's able to see the spirits of his ships in 1940/41. Back in the future, he (and more or less everyone else) probably didn't believe in the concept that ships have a soul. As such, and because he didn't have that degree of care for his ships that he has now, he couldn't see the spirits of the DDGs under his command.

One question: CV-2 Lexy was lost because she well, burnt (IIRC, anyways) after her torpedoing: It's _this_ loss that taught the Americans the key of purging the lines, which turns carriers from FAE's waiting to happen (well Avgas using ones) to pretty dammed suriviable ships. Did Thompson teach that most critical of critical Carrier DC skills, yet?

One question: CV-2 Lexy was lost because she well, burnt (IIRC, anyways) after her torpedoing: It's _this_ loss that taught the Americans the key of purging the lines, which turns carriers from FAE's waiting to happen (well Avgas using ones) to pretty dammed suriviable ships. Did Thompson teach that most critical of critical Carrier DC skills, yet?

The devil is in the details... for everything. I think we can rewrite that question to. 'How much does Thompson know about the Pacific War that can be turned into simple suggestions that don't raise much fuss?'

...wait, where's Thach right now?

That is true. However, it's also a bit of a no brainer when you think about it. The thing is, with the Lexington she had likely purged her avgas lines because it is common sense when she came under attack. Problem is, one of the torpedoes she took cracked her portside avgas stowage tanks. So even if they had purged the avgas lines, Lady Lex still would have been doomed just because of that hit. Because with the Avgas stowage tank cracked, it allowed vapors to escape and go through the ship undetected. Combined with the fact that eletric motors sparked and ignited the vapors, causing a large explosion followed by two large secondaries.

You'll have to work with me here, my internet is being exceedingly uncooperative. But I don't see anything in there saying he isn't on Sara. Butch O'Hare's article though....

When Butch finished his naval aviation training on May 2, 1940,[6]​ he was assigned to USS Saratoga (CV-3) Fighter Squadron Three (VF-3). O'Hare now trained on the Grumman F3F and then graduated to the Brewster F2A Buffalo. Lieutenant John Thach, then executive officer of VF-3, discovered O'Hare's exceptional flying abilities and closely mentored the promising young pilot.[7]​ Thach, who would later develop the Thach Weave aerial combat tactic, emphasized gunnery in his training. In 1941, more than half of all VF-3 pilots, including O'Hare, earned the "E" for gunnery excellence.
In early 1941, VF-3 transferred to USS Enterprise (CV-6), while carrier[8]​ USS Saratoga (CV-3) underwent maintenance and overhaul work at Bremerton Navy Yard.

And VF-3:

VF-3 served aboard USS Saratoga and USS Yorktown until the Battle of Midway.

Yes, wiki, but I don't have my books with me at the moment (yay for classes). Basically, our friendly neighborhood time-traveler pulled strings to keep VF-3 on Sara, pursuant to when she finished her refits.

EDIT: Thach being CAG instead of just head of VF-3 is, again, Thompson.

Last edited:
Yes, wiki, but I don't have my books with me at the moment (yay for classes). Basically, our friendly neighborhood time-traveler pulled strings to keep VF-3 on Sara, pursuant to when she finished her refits.

EDIT: Thach being CAG instead of just head of VF-3 is, again, Thompson.

Well, Thach being the CAG of Air Group 3 is smart move.

Also for further information on the Enterprise's Airgroup I give you Skywalker this lovely gem of a site. Air Groups

Hm, okay, there's a hole in the narrative... ugh, what a mess.

According to what he said, he got the report on the Zero in the spring of '41 and was trying to find a solution to it at home in the evenings, but the next time reference makes everything a mess.

"In December 1941, of course, the war started, and our squadron was put aboard the Lexington (CV-2)."

So yeah, I'm confused as all heck, and assuming he is misremembering stuff. Lexington did host a VF-3, but that was in January '42.

Last edited:
Hm, okay, there's a hole in the narrative... ugh, what a mess.

According to what he said, he got the report on the Zero in the spring of '41 and was trying to find a solution to it at home in the evenings, but the next time reference makes everything a mess.

So yeah, I'm confused as all heck, and assuming he is misremembering stuff. Lexington did host a VF-3, but that was in January '42.

One solution is that the Zero can't dive worth a damn, you put it in a dive. The controls become sluggish, not to mention it doesn't have a prayer of a chance of catching a F4F-3, F4F-3A, or F4F-4 Wildcat when it's in a dive. Granted the same goes for the F6F Hellcat and the Corsair. Generally the recommended tactic for engaging a "Zeke" was to get an altitude advantage and get above and behind it, if possible diving out of the sun. You line up your target, fire a quick burst, if you don't get the kill in the dive, don't pull up out of the dive and turn fight, that is a good way to wind up drifting down to the ground or the ocean dangling from a white parachute, just keep on going. A good place to aim is at the wingroot .50 cal rounds hitting in that area would often tear a wing right off a Zero. If you have to engage a Zero use the "Thach Weave" or in this case the "Thompson Weave" which will force a Zero to break off from behind a Wildcat or other friendly fighter because of the wingman coming at you. The last option is to just plain engage a Zero in a straight up head-on pass. The Zero is all offensive oriented and thus has almost nothing in the defense department. A Wildcat going in a head-on pass with a Zero will win most of the time.

There you go! All of the tactics that you need to successfully engage a Zero.

One more thing! If you are in a Wildcat and you see a Zero begin to go into a loop and you are chasing him. DO NOT GO AFTER HIM! The Wildcat will stall out, and enter a flatspin, when the Zero comes out of that loop, guess what, you are now a sitting duck for a plane with two 7.7mm Machine Guns and two 20mm Cannons. Similar tactics apply for the Ki-43, J2M, A7M, N1K, or any Japanese single engined fighter with the exception of the Ki-61, the thing handles like a Bf-109 and is very similar in appearance to them as well.

One solution is that the Zero can't dive worth a damn, you put it in a dive. The controls become sluggish, not to mention it doesn't have a prayer of a chance of catching a F4F-3, F4F-3A, or F4F-4 Wildcat when it's in a dive. Granted the same goes for the F6F Hellcat and the Corsair. Generally the recommended tactic for engaging a "Zeke" was to get an altitude advantage and get above and behind it, if possible diving out of the sun. You line up your target, fire a quick burst, if you don't get the kill in the dive, don't pull up out of the dive and turn fight, that is a good way to wind up drifting down to the ground or the ocean dangling from a white parachute, just keep on going. A good place to aim is at the wingroot .50 cal rounds hitting in that area would often tear a wing right off a Zero. If you have to engage a Zero use the "Thach Weave" or in this case the "Thompson Weave" which will force a Zero to break off from behind a Wildcat or other friendly fighter because of the wingman coming at you. The last option is to just plain engage a Zero in a straight up head-on pass. The Zero is all offensive oriented and thus has almost nothing in the defense department. A Wildcat going in a head-on pass with a Zero will win most of the time.

There you go! All of the tactics that you need to successfully engage a Zero.

One more thing! If you are in a Wildcat and you see a Zero begin to go into a loop and you are chasing him. DO NOT GO AFTER HIM! The Wildcat will stall out, and enter a flatspin, when the Zero comes out of that loop, guess what, you are now a sitting duck for a plane with two 7.7mm Machine Guns and two 20mm Cannons. Similar tactics apply for the Ki-43, J2M, A7M, N1K, or any Japanese single engined fighter with the exception of the Ki-61, the thing handles like a Bf-109 and is very similar in appearance to them as well.
I'm pretty sure literally every single person in this thread already knows this.

Back