Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

The Anglo-French forces were 100% capable of checking the Germans. They even had multiple defensive plans, unimplemented, that could have countered the German offensive if they had known what it was going to look like.

This, of course, ignores that the French knew the Germans were invading through the Ardennes as it was happening, and simply did not bother to actually move to intercept when they could have. Or weren't able to get their forces moving in time, rather, when they had more than enough time to move in front of the Germans and prepare defenses.

Telling them that the Germans are going to invade France isn't going to be believed by anyone except maybe that Schreiber is a plant by Hitler trying to provoke the Allies into attacking first so he can claim he's justified in going to war with the French.

Lastly, the Soviet Union turned Germany into an objectively less repressive, evil, and murderous regime than it was before the occupation. The DDR was not the FRG, but it was far far far far better than Nazi Germany. That he doesn't seem even vaguely conflicted about enabling the Nazis to prevent the DDR is what makes him so loathsome. He's not agonizing over it and his personal biases tip him over. He's been clear, decisive, and untroubled. Millions will burn before he gives up Anything he values.

Well I suppose if you considering starving your citizens by the millions because you refuse to let them make money off growing food, or the deliberate starvation of much of Ukraine Holodomor or the rest of the laundry list of atrocities committed by the Communists less evil...

Yes, the Communists were objectively less repressive, evil, and murderous by this bizarre and highly unethical standard.

EDIT: Welp, my bad. Didn't see Sky's post had gone up when I was writing this.

Last edited:
I've said before, in regards to Thompson and Schreiber. I'm very deliberately playing them and their story arcs as foils of each other. Thompson is the one with the smaller, but much more personal stakes. Japan is losing, full stop. His goals, as such, are always much smaller and more personal in scope. Protecting the girls. Trying to help keep more alive. Working the tightrope of hiding his past (good job, Enterprise) and working with his superiors.

Schreiber is always much more large in scope. His goals are saving Germany while trying to prevent the worst atrocities, on both sides of the fence. He has to walk a much more complicated path because of the Nazis. He has to manage more threads.

Of course, to some extent, they're coming together as we hit the middle of the fic. Schreiber's goals are becoming much more personal with how Blucher and Bismarck mean to him. And Thompson is going to have to manage much larger scopes, now that the cat is out of the bag.

Either way, the two of them have different arcs that are intended to reflect off each other.

To quote myself from, y'know, April.

Schreiber has never been intended as a perfect character. He's outright meant to be Thompson's foil. And vice-versa.

Now that I've had a chance to cool off, somewhat:

I wasn't originally planning on it (I was rather intending to update my Gundam stuff on FFN) I'm going to bring forward the next Frieda Hacke omake, which was always going to explain more of her backstory and what Schreiber is doing behind the scenes. I'll write that tomorrow.

(like I said at the end of the chapter, I'm hardly going to have time to write after this week is over because of Star Wars)

He's not going gungho on LET'S KILL ALL THE SLAVS
He hates the Soviets, that's his only goddamn condition. If he needs to give the Poles clay or what the fuck else you want, he'll do it in a heartbeat, so long as it keeps Stalin out.

...So no modern day Battle of Kleidon then?

I jest I jest. But really, I feel like Schreiber's policy towards the Russians is a fucked up intermediary of Ostpolitik and the "relationship" betiwxt Trump and (my probable like fifth cousin if old family pictures and quick research is to be trusted) Chairman Kimmy.

Wow... I admire your loyalty to starwars, sky... dispite the current triology is littered with either s j w or mary sue shenanigans.

Last edited:
Who says anything about loyalty. I work at a theater :V

(hence, I'll have functionally no time to write for a couple weeks-to-a-month)

I'm still aiming to get an update today. Admittedly it's an omake with our friend in Holland, but still, an update.

I resent the accusation of being a troll. I had an honest and sincere issue with the story and engaged with others posters about it. This was the first thing on this site that interested me enough to post about, and I have to say I'm quite surprised and disappointed at the reaction. I wasn't going to post again (and I will respect the Author's wishes on the subject), but decided to comment since I've been insulted. But I will say I honestly expected more, not snide dismissals acting as if I'm not familiar with a story I've been following for quite some time or unwarranted hostility as if I was engaging in wild derail.

No worries though, I have no intention of posting on this site any further.

I resent the accusation of being a troll. I had an honest and sincere issue with the story and engaged with others posters about it. This was the first thing on this site that interested me enough to post about, and I have to say I'm quite surprised and disappointed at the reaction. I wasn't going to post again (and I will respect the Author's wishes on the subject), but decided to comment since I've been insulted. But I will say I honestly expected more, not snide dismissals acting as if I'm not familiar with a story I've been following for quite some time or unwarranted hostility as if I was engaging in wild derail.

If you just had calmly suggested other ways Schreiber might have tried to affect history I think people would have been a lot more receptive.

Opening with a massive rant on how you detest a character (and by implication the author for writing him in a sympathetic manner) maybe isn't the best way to go about critiquing a story if you want to start an amicable discussion.

You can slam the door on your way out.

Omake: Frieda
This is a fairly heavy chapter.

Omake: Frieda Hacke

Ahhh...

With nothing but the crackling light of a fire illuminating her, a young woman sat in a lavish living room. Her legs were bare, boots long since discarded in favor of movement and comfort. She lounged in her comfy chair, staring up at the ceiling. Her eyes were shut tightly and her hands held a pipe to her lips. She sucked in a deep sigh, letting the smoke spread through her lungs. She barely paid any mind to the man sitting across from her, nor the woman standing at his back. She'd talk when she was ready to talk.

Exhaling a puff of smoke that more resembled the plume of a ship at sea than a human breath, she cracked open brilliant green eyes.

"So. You want to know more about my Admiral and what we've been up to?" Frieda Hacke let her gaze fall down, locking onto the man and woman across from her.

"I'll admit to being curious about it." Louis returned the look, crossing his fingers under his chin. The young man was more curious than anything else, something reflected in the firelight on his eyes. The expression of someone hunting for an answer. "I trust you, and your Admiral, enough to agree to help these poor people. My...my grandfather and father were not always the most forgiving of the Jews, but I can't just let them suffer. If even a tenth of what I've been told about the Camps in Poland is true, I would damn my own soul to ignore it and not use what power I have to help."

Louis narrowed his eyes, ever so slightly, with his next words. "However, asking me to make a statement against the Nazis and to try and become the figurehead of this movement? My family has survived the insanity of those butchers because we renounced everything. If I, or any of us, made any claim otherwise..."

"If I may?" Frieda held up a hand, waving it a little in the air. At the reluctant nod, she let a grim smile cross her face. "There's no one else who could be a figurehead. My Admiral...he doesn't trust himself with that kind of power, and doesn't believe that the other officers would let him have it anyway. If we just kill Hitler and his lackeys, all we'd do is create an empty seat. The Generals will ignore my Admiral or Herr Oster and just create a council to continue the War. Germany would burn."

What neither the woman, nor the man, vocalized was the knowledge that it would destroy Germany. There were not enough people who hated Hitler. If they just killed him, even if the military stepped into control and purged the Nazis, it would do nothing but damage the country even further. Doom it to foreign rule and destruction.

"And that is why you need me instead." Louis finished, leaning back in his own chair. He let out a soft sigh when his wife, Kira, placed a hand on his shoulder. "I...am loathe to admit it, but you are hardly wrong. My family may not be what it once was, but if anyone could convince the Generals to fall in line, it would be myself or my father. And my father is in ill-health."

It was also left unsaid that Louis' father would hardly do anything to help the Jews, other than stop killing them in droves. That he wouldn't sign any peace with the West that didn't involve territorial gains for Germany and recognition of the Polish border and puppet. Maybe even continuing the war with the Bolsheviks. Louis was not his father, thankfully. He was friends with the American President, even. He would never, ever, continue any policy of Hitler or his cronies.

Otherwise, Frieda and her Admiral wouldn't work with him. Even though the former was loyal to this man, second only to her Admiral.

"This is all academic, of course. You already have my support." The young man sighed heavily, shaking his head. A remorseful expression alighted across his face, the first lines beginning to crinkle around his eyes. "I already regret that Wilhelm and I couldn't do anything to stop this madness. All the power our family still had, and we just...sat by and watched. Bless his soul, Wilhelm even fought in France. We were loyal to Germany first. We always were..."

As Louis trailed off, his wife squeezed his shoulder. Kira looked despondently on her husband, before turning her gaze on Frieda. A calculating look entered into the Russian's eyes, as she seemed to struggle for something to say. Frieda merely rose her eyebrow, and took another long puff on her pipe.

"I think I already know what you're going to ask about, my Lady." Frieda let out a soft breath, smoke blowing through her nostrils. She looked past Kira, towards the starry night outside the only window. Oh how she wished she were out there, under the stars on the waves.

No, she was here. She had a different duty now.

"Then you should have no problem answering." Kira's voice was cold and even past her accent, Frieda could feel the vehemence in it. "All this talk about replacing the butchers in Germany. Saving the Jews." Here, her eyes narrowed slightly. "And what is being done to save my people? How many must die before you are willing to throw down the madmen?"

Frieda took a drag on her pipe, and raised an eyebrow. Her next words were bitter all on their own. "Are they your people? I was under the impression that wasn't the case, after they murdered most of your family and threw the rest out with the rags on their backs. Or am I wrong?"

That rather quickly took the wind out of Kira's sails. "I--I hate the Bolsheviks. More than you could possibly imagine."

"On that, we're all in agreement. I came too close to seeing them do the same in Germany, all those years ago." Frieda's voice softened, as her own memories took over. She remembered a crew that refused to sortie. Men that looked at the Communists as an ideal. She hadn't seen the end-result of that, but she knew what had happened nonetheless.

Still, when she looked at Kira, she felt a pang in her heart. Frieda had seen enough suffering in her time in Holland to recognize it, and she'd softened substantially from her time in the Hochseeflotte.

Oh, Franz. You'd not recognize me anymore. I'm not the same woman who just charged into the fangs of death itself without a care in the world.

And so, instead of berating Kira or speaking her feeling of 'why should I care about the Russians?', Frieda got to her feet. She walked towards Louis and Kira...and bowed her head slightly. "For what it is worth, my Lady, the Admiral has said much the same to me."

Kira blinked, and stared at the top of Frieda's head. "What do you mean? From what Louis has told me, your Admiral loathes the Bolsheviks. Why would he have any reason to care about your army killing my people?"

Instead of answering, Frieda thought back to much the same conversation...

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
"I understand why you hate the Nazis, Admiral. But...why do you have the Reds that much?"

Admiral Schreiber had looked past her, towards a similarly crackling fire. It had been only a few days before she had been sent to Holland, and the last time she had talked to the man in person. Even then, she had seen the weight of worlds upon his shoulders. He was thinner than any man his age should have been, thinner for sure than Franz had been. He looked tired all the time. This was a man who pushed himself for no material gain, despite having every reason to just go with the Nazis.

She deeply respected him for that, even after he had brought her back.

"...you already know that I'm not from this time, my friend." He finally spoke, his voice every bit as tired as his body. Faded blue stared into green, as Schreiber looked away from the fire. "I grew up during what the Americans called a 'Cold War' with the Russians. Communism and Capitalism against each other. Germany was, as it is now, caught in the middle. After this war...after Hitler ruined our nation, the Soviets controlled half of the country, after giving all of Prussia to the Poles. My family had to leave Prussia."

"You were---"

Holding up a hand, Schreiber shook his head. His eyes had reddened, ever so slightly. "No, if it were only that, I would dislike them but not hate them as I do. You must understand. The West created a democratic German Republic, the one that I eventually served in my own time. The Soviets refused to let Germany reunify, and their little puppets in Berlin were all too eager to have their own power. The Stasi was every bit as bad as the Gestapo, in their own way. Thousands vanished. Thousands more were broken in their interrogation rooms. I had to watch many good men come home, broken and beaten down. You couldn't even talk about it, because every other man or woman or child could be an informant. One word. One word of dissent, and you were gone."

With each word, his voice grew softer and more embittered. Frieda could only listen silently, unable to comprehend what he was telling her. It seemed so...wrong. To believe that, even after the Nazis were gone, Germany would continue like that. The Empire had never been so bad, even at its worst.

"My own father was taken from me, when I was but a little child." The Admiral finally whispered, at the end. His shoulder slumped down, as a far-away look entered his eyes. The kind of look that spoke of deep, unfading trauma. "When Germany finally unified, again, I was happy to join the Bundesmarine. I could finally follow my dream of seeing the sea. I never dreamed I'd end up in the here and now, in a state worse than even the Germany I grew up in."

"You...you hate the Russians for what they did to your family, sir?" Frieda asked, figuring that she finally had her answer. She wasn't entirely wrong.

Schreiber nodded, tiredly. "I do. For my father, and for so many other innocent lives taken. It wasn't just Germany. Poland, Romania, Hungary...so many died in their control. It's hard, you know." The Admiral turned, and looked in the direction of the Ostfront. East. "I know how many lives are being taken, even now, by Hitler's men. I've sent Blücher to fight against them as well. Millions will die and I...I can't bring myself to do anything to stop it."

Frieda stared at him. "Aren't you doing everything you can to stop Hitler? I'm going to Holland to save the Jews, too. That is something."

"True." Even with that word, the Admiral still shook his head. He looked almost broken, by what he said next. "And yet, I sink transports bringing supplies there. I am eager to fight against the Arctic Convoys. I can't, I never have been able to, forget or forgive. If I need to damn my own soul, to keep Germany safe from the Russians, I will do it. If...if I can just keep my father from ever knowing the suffering he faced, it would be worth it in the end."

The Admiral looked Frieda dead in the eyes, his entire expression radiating a deep and hidden pain. She would never know, but not even Blücher had been told what he told her now. What father wanted his daughter to see him at his worst?

"I hate myself, every day, for the knowledge that so many will die in the fires of the East, because I want to preserve a Germany worth living in."

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
"...as hard as it may be to believe, he hates the Russians, but hates himself even more." Frieda finished her story, finally looking up at the nobility before her. Louis' face held a pained grimace, the man slowly shaking his head. Kira held a hand to her mouth, the barest hint of tears at the corner of her eyes.

"Millions...millions will die in the East?"

It was rather telling, that neither of them reacted to the revelation that her Admiral wasn't from this time. Frieda had felt little need to conceal it. Not from this man, not when Louis was the best hope they had for a unified Germany. No. Both of them were struck by the pain her Admiral felt, and by the knowledge of what was to come, in the East.

So, all Frieda did was nod her head. "Millions. Germans, Russians, Poles, Ukrainians, Romanians..."

Kira shook her head jerkily, "Stop...please. Stop. I can't take hearing anything else."

"I asked, you know." Frieda's voice softened, and she looked Kira in the eye. "I asked if I could have gone to the East, to try and stop the war. Or at least break up the camps killing so many. The Admiral told me that doing that would only risk everything we're working for. The quickest way to end the war, is to build up our Resistance and take our chance to remove Hitler. If we can do that even two years early..."

"...then millions will live, who would have died." Louis finished, speaking for the first time since Kira had spoken. His eyes had hardened, and the spark of fire had entered into them. He sat straighter, looking much more like the man he should have been. "You're certain that we can't do anything to stop the War sooner? A negotiated peace?"

Frieda could only shrug. "The Admiral is trying, with the British. The Reds would never accept anything that involves them not taking Eastern Europe. From what he's told me, if we aren't careful to discredit Hitler first, the best case we could get is having to spend years convincing Germany he isn't a martyr who was stabbed in the back."

Both Louis and Kira almost hissed at that terminology. Frieda could understand the reaction. No matter how she felt about the mutinies, it hadn't been the German government that lost the Great War. She knew that much. If Germany felt that they were betrayed again...

An armistice for twenty years? Is that what the French bastard called it?

"So we must save Germany, while destroying Germany." Louis finished, his eyes narrowed in thought.

"So the Admiral says." Frieda nodded. "I have the feeling he has some sort of plan to cause losses in the East that would embarrass the Nazis while improving his own reputation. At least, the reputation of people who he trusts. I know he wants to try and get Guderian on-side with the Italians, too."

Louis nodded, climbing to his feet. He sent a steadying smile at his wife, before turning fully to face Frieda. "I will help, in any way I can. I still have friends in the press and the military. Wilhelm, bless his memory, had many friends as well. I will find a way to expose the camps. No good German will accept such horrors."

He had no way of knowing that plenty of Germans had. However, when spoken by that man, it seemed almost like you could believe him. And, who knows, he may be right. When told by their own countrymen...when shown it and when shown how the Nazis would try to justify it...

Maybe, just maybe, Germany wouldn't doom its soul and memory to hell.

"You have my support until the end, Your Majesty." Freida Hacke snapped off a perfect Kaiserliche Marine salute. Heels clicked together, as she smiled at the man before her.

Louis Ferdinand von Hohenzollern smiled back, clumsily returning the salute. "I, for one, am thankful to have you...Seydlitz."

I had this one in the pipeline for a long time. Yes, every bit of it. I just had to rush it out now. For obvious reasons.

I operate on a 'show things when they need to be shown' theory of writing. Schreiber considers Blücher to be his daughter. We've already established he hates how he's made her and Bismarck hate the Russians like he does. It is not that hard a leap to go from there, to he deliberately hides the worst of his pain from them.

Like, seriously, what man wants his daughter to see the very worst of him?

Frieda- Seydlitz -is different. She's a close confidant, the first ship girl he brought back. He can tell her things he wouldn't dare let his daughter know. If he told Blücher half of what he told her, she would tear her way off her hull and go strangle Hitler. So, ergo, this omake was always intended to dig more into his mentality. That I had to bring it forward more than I wanted, is unfortunate, but it doesn't really materially change anything in it.

As for Frieda...this is a lot of hints in her name and mannerisms, as well as a walking homage to her namesake on her part.

Frieda=feminine form of Friedrich (von Seydlitz)
Hacke=maiden name of his wife
pipe=a reference to being a coal burner...and something that von Seydlitz was known for. Specifically, he smoked a pipe and used throwing it away as a signal to attack.
Franz von Hipper had Seydlitz as his flagship

I don't know when the next update will be, for obvious Star Wars related reasons. We'll see. >.>

Also, to borrow from a mod I was once fairly friendly with over on TFN:

My main issue, as I said in the post that was-probably-more-heated-than-I-wanted, was simple. If it's just 'I dislike the way this character is going' stuff, fine, I've had it before. I don't dislike critique. When it starts going into accusing me of making one of the main protagonists into a Nazi (at minimum, a willing supporter of the Nazi's goals) that's when it goes too far. The post above got it in one.

Critique is not an issue. Opening with 'I loathe this character' and jumping later to 'he should murder his daughters and he's a Nazi (supporter at minimum)' is going much, much too far.

Well then. A glorious return for the German royals? I can dig it. (They also I think currently hold or purchased the claims to the Byzantine throne?)

Battlecruiser Seydlitz right? Not incomplete heavy cruiser Seydlitz?

Right; WWI-era Seydlitz that survived the worst the British could throw at her in Dogger Bank and Jutland, arguably infamous for tanking 21 12 to 15-inch hits and a torpedo that tore open a 40-foot long gash at the latter battle.

If I remember correctly, damage control crews and two firefighting ships had to drain some 5,000+ tons of water from her before she was bouyant enough to get over the sandbar in front of her home harbour, as well as remove her fore-most pair of guns from their turret.

Calling her 'The toughest ship in the Imperial Navy' would not be far off of the mark, especially considering she threw down against actual Battleships more than once and sailed home afterwards.

Right; WWI-era Seydlitz that survived the worst the British could throw at her in Dogger Bank and Jutland, arguably infamous for tanking 21 12 to 15-inch hits and a torpedo that tore open a 40-foot long gash at the latter battle.

If I remember correctly, damage control crews and two firefighting ships had to drain some 5,000+ tons of water from her before she was bouyant enough to get over the sandbar in front of her home harbour, as well as remove her fore-most pair of guns from their turret.

Calling her 'The toughest ship in the Imperial Navy' would not be far off of the mark, especially considering she threw down against actual Battleships more than once and sailed home afterwards.

TBF, the Germans went to the total opposite end of the design spectrum in regards to Battlecruiser design when compared to their British counterparts. It's not all that surprising that she was able to throw down with battleships when she's basically a battleship hull with smaller than normal guns.

She and Derfflinger took absolute *brutal* beatings from the British at Jutland and Dogger Bank. Lutzow would have made it as well if not for a sand bar and her forward section having more splinter damage than the pumps could keep up with.

Derfflinger became known as the 'Iron Dog' for Jutland. But Seydlitz's survival is impressive because her armor scheme was nowhere near Derfflinger's. Seydlitz was a true battlecruiser, whereas the Derfflingers had battleship level armor and battlecruiser speed. (At the cost of damage output thanks to a lesser main battery.

There's a reason why, in Sky's story, Indestructible Spirit, Seydlitz is perfectly willing to get stuck in on a scrap, but is also earnestly crazy and absolutely covered in scars.

(Speaking of, you really should read that story. Cranky British Kongou is something everyone needs to experience)

SMS Moltke, Yavuzs big sis, also took a hell of a beating. Iirc she passed closest to the Queen Elizabeths of 5th Battle Squadron during Jutland and took four 15" shells (in addiction to four 13.5" shells from Tiger) for her trouble.

Long story short, the imperial battlecruisers were tough girls

The survival of Seydlitz and her sisters was a major reason the U.S. Navy became very interested in German damage control techniques after the first world war.

Back