Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

And then Kongou shoved scones in everyone's mouths and made the war not happen through sheer desstermination.

"What the...where did that scone co-*out of thin air a scone appears in the sailor's mouth*"
"No war, only tea and scones now, Dess! :D"
Sorry to spoil the jokes, but Kongou is not herself around this time yet.

IIRC, she only got her obsession for admirals, British scones and tea and the numerous other personality quirks from after she got torpedoed numerous times by Sealion.

Sorry to spoil the jokes, but Kongou is not herself around this time yet.

IIRC, she only got her obsession for admirals, British scones and tea and the numerous other personality quirks from after she got torpedoed numerous times by Sealion.

Uh, Kongou was commissioned into the Imperial Japanese Navy on August 16th 1913. There is a reason that everyone refers to her as "Granny Kongou" so yes she is around.

However, remember, Butterfly Effect. Kongou in this fic could be somewhat different from the Kongou we all know and love.

Last edited:
And how would being torped repeatedly instill her love for tea and scones? Remember that she was originally designed and built by the British for Japan. The only thing I think would be different is Kongou not being teitoku-sexual.

And how would being torped repeatedly instill her love for tea and scones? Remember that she was originally designed and built by the British for Japan. The only thing I think would be different is Kongou not being teitoku-sexual.

Exactly! So Kongou is bound to be a little different. Plus we don't know if any Japanese Admirals from Tompson's time have wound up in the 40s. Or how they will effect the course of the war.

There is also the point that the Imperial Japanese Armed Forces HATED the British, the Dutch, the French and everyone else in Asia, so I think 'imperialistic' customs would have been suppressed like mad.

Just my two cents.

I'd say a prayer for the Poor Bastard if that was the case.
And hope he could surrender to the Americans fast enough.

Like I've said from the start:

I have plans for the Japanese girls. Suffice to say, they aren't the same. But then...

Is Little E the same? Genki Girl Ari? Insecure Sara?

At any rate, Japan is still a good bit off. I neither want too many plot threads at once, nor to introduce such a divisive topic too soon.

(Kongou is only Teitoku-sexual because of blowing up with two aboard, yes. This I can say because I established it as my headcanon a long time ago)

Oh! Still, I wonder how the Guadalcanal Campaign will go down. Not to mention, will Saratoga arrive at Pearl Harbor, just before Midway if she isn't torpedoed by I-6 and thus sails with Yorktown. Then that would mean, that Admiral Thompson will find out what it is like to come under air attack. Maybe what could happen here if Saratoga avoids being torpedoed that she gets clobbered by Japanese Aircraft, along with Yorktown at Midway. This is due to the Japanese having five Carriers at Midway. Akagi, Kaga, Soryuu, Hiryu, and Hiyo. After the Dive Bomber Attack renders Akagi, Kaga, and Soryuu well, burning exploding wrecks. Hiryuu and Hiyo launch a Hammer and Anvil attack, which finds Task Force 17 under the overall command of Admiral Frank J. Fletcher with Admiral Thompson acting under Admiral Fletcher's jurisdiction. Yorktown had been made battle ready with the pilots from Lexington and the planes she had been carrying to Pearl, Saratoga still has her normal airwing, so Yorktown has all of the newest stuff, which makes her Torpedo Bomber Crews giddy with glee at the fact that they have TBF-1s.

Anyway, during this combination attack, a well-coordinated strike with a combination of Achi D3A1 "Vals", Nakajima B5N2 "Kates", and Mitsbushi Navy Type 0 Fighters "Zekes" they manage in putting two bombs into Yorktown and three bombs plus two torpedoes into Saratoga. Knocking both out of the fight. By some miracle both the Saratoga and the Yorktown make it back to Pearl Harbor for repairs.

This is possible due to the Butterfly Effect and Admiral Thompson learns something important, history isn't going to be exactly as he remembers it. Which means well, he can toss all of the knoweldge that he has on the battles that happened in the WWII that he remembered out the window. I mean, because the Butterfly Effect could change history so that the Hiyo-class Aircraft Carriers enter service shortly after December 7th 1941. Or another possibility is that instead of the Hiyo-class being at Midway, the Soryuu or Hiryuu have a sister ship. Due to the Butterfly Effect there is so many ways this could go down!

Butterflies or not Thompson isn't really going to have much say in strategic matters once the balloon goes up.
That is going to be whoever is going to be CINCPAC, He is just another Battle group commander.

Japan has neither the resources nor time to build another fleet carrier by Midway. Not when Thompson has only been around for a little under a year now (not saying how long Schreiber's been kicking about).

Furthermore, there is no saying Midway happens. Butterfly effect means that nothing is as expected. Midway was a confluence of events- intel breakthrough, overconfident Japan, Coral Sea leaving Shoukaku crippled and ZuiZui out because 'LOL We can't shift planes to another carrier' -that is not something that can be relied on happening again the exact same way. Just as likely that there is a major battle in the Coral Sea. Or Aleutians. Or off Guam or...

I'm sure you get the point.

Butterflies or not Thompson isn't really going to have much say in strategic matters once the balloon goes up.
That is going to be whoever is going to be CINCPAC, He is just another Battle group commander.

True, still, a change caused by the Butterfly Effect could be that the Hiyo-class of Carrier is in action much sooner. To the point that one is actually at Midway. Plus the CINCPAC will be Admiral Chester Nimitz if everything goes as I think it will. Still, if Saratoga isn't torpedoed, and she can get Pearl Harbor quick enough on her Aircraft Ferrying Job, she can take part in Midway!

Also the Hiyo-class weren't purpose built Aircraft Carriers but were in fact conversions from Passenger Ships. So that means not as many resources are going to be spent building them. They could carry anywhere between 48 and 53 aircraft while that's a good deal less than even the four Fleet Carriers that took part in the Battle of Midway, it's still an additional Forty-Eight to Fifty-Three Aircraft that the Japanese will have at their disposal.

Last edited:
Also the Hiyo-class weren't purpose built Aircraft Carriers but were in fact conversions from Passenger Ships. So that means not as many resources are going to be spent building them. They could carry anywhere between 48 and 53 aircraft while that's a good deal less than even the four Fleet Carriers that took part in the Battle of Midway, it's still an additional Forty-Eight to Fifty-Three Aircraft that the Japanese will have at their disposal.
She was sold to the IJN on 10Feb1941 and wasn't commissioned til after Midway in 1942. Like almost a month after. Even if they are in service earlier, it won't make any difference because things have changed in the story, things will continue to change in story and many things that happened in WW2 won't happen like they did here.

I don't see the IJN pushing up construction of conversions until they start actually taking losses. They didn't really start doing that until the Battle of the Coral Sea (May '42).

Last edited:
She was sold to the IJN on 10Feb1941 and wasn't commissioned til after Midway in 1942. Like almost a month after. Even if they are in service earlier, it won't make any difference because things have changed in the story, things will continue to change in story and many things that happened in WW2 won't happen like they did here.

I don't see the IJN pushing up construction of conversions until they start actually taking losses. They didn't really start doing that until the Battle of the Coral Sea (May '42).

I know, such as Hiyo not being at Midway. Think about it. Saratoga probably won't eat that torpedo from I-6 which means that she can take part in the Battle for Midway and sails in company with Yorktown. Having five Carriers at Midway means that Thompson will have to take everything he knows with a substantial grain of salt. Plus who knows, maybe just maybe. Despite the fact that the Japanese Counter-Strike launched by Hiryuu and Hiyo if Skywalker decides that due to the Butterfly Effect Hiyo is bought by the Imperial Japanese Navy early and is thus converted into a carrier much earlier means that Saratoga will likely get clobbered as will Yorktown. However since Saratoga is a bigger target, no offense to her, she will likely take more hits than Yorktown, the subsquent counter-strike sinks Hiyo but after the loss of four Carriers and not willing to lose the Hiryuu the Japanese turn for home, meaning Hiryuu becomes the "One that got away". Then again, I know nothing about the Butterfly Effect.

Let's simplify things:

Midway will not happen as it did in our history.

I won't say how or where the USN and IJN get their big tussles, but Midway it ain't. There are far and away too many variables for anything resembling IRL Midway to happen.

Hey dude, mind holding off on the textwalls? Fun facts have a time and a place, amd I don't mind that much, but brevity is the soul of wit and all that jazz.

Let's simplify things:

Midway will not happen as it did in our history.

I won't say how or where the USN and IJN get their big tussles, but Midway it ain't. There are far and away too many variables for anything resembling IRL Midway to happen.

Sort of figured with the Butterfly Effect and all that.

Hey dude, mind holding off on the textwalls? Fun facts have a time and a place, amd I don't mind that much, but brevity is the soul of wit and all that jazz.

With the big text walls, I wasn't spitting out fun facts, well I was to a degree, but I was instead predicting going down one particular path that could happen at Midway. There are hundreds of variables, particularly with the Butterfly Effect in play. For all we know, one of the Crane Sisters could likely be at Midway. Something tells me that Coral Sea won't resemble the Battle of Coral Sea that we remember either.

Damn, so many paths, so many variables, I mean, for all we know, Yorktown could get sunk at Coral Sea instead of Lexington just so many variables, so many possibilities, just because of this damn Butterfly Effect!

The Butterfly Effect is a powerful thing in alternate history. In fact, it is an inevitable thing in most AH timelines. It depends on the authour om how much the butterflies will spread.

In fact, I am working on a TL over at AH.com that uses the butterfly effect to its full force, which is everything is different, but the concepts are still there....

The Butterfly Effect is a powerful thing in alternate history. In fact, it is an inevitable thing in most AH timelines. It depends on the authour om how much the butterflies will spread.

In fact, I am working on a TL over at AH.com that uses the butterfly effect to its full force, which is everything is different, but the concepts are still there....

I'll say! The Butterfly Effect is powerful! Still, I wonder, will Bisko defect? Leading to some massive chase, where it seems the whole damn Kriegsmarine is chasing the German Battleship across the Atlantic? With the Aircraft Carrier Graf Zeppelin and leading the hunt for the Mighty German Battleship Bismarck? We don't know.

Thorthemighty, until you get it into your head that the Butterfly Effect is going to completely ruin any/all of your expectations for the war, and thus, the famous battles of IRL likely will NEVER happen in the Pacific....

I'm just going to reply to any post you make that assumes said battles will occur with a size 7 font, bolded, colored bright yellow, centered, and saying the following:

BUTTERFLY EFFECT.
DEAL WITH IT.

Back