Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Sooo…while I read and do research for this- update tonight if all goes well -I found this…

While reading Pacific Crucible by Ian Toll, well…the quote speaks for itself:

"Yamamoto stealthily edged the man's chair back several feet. When he had finished speaking and tried to sit down, the officer missed the chair and fell sprawling on the floor. The Admiral kept a straight face, looked straight ahead, and continued the meeting as if nothing had happened."

This is at a joint IJA/IJN meeting, with the officer in question being an Army one ranting at the Navy guys. As per when I found it:

Yamamoto confirmed for Troll.

Last edited:
Well considering the feud between the IJN and IJA during the time, that was probably a pretty mild stunt.

There was also a lot of tension between the Combined Fleet and General Staff. The planning leading up to Coral Sea and Midway proved that they weren't above pettiness.

Considering that this is the military culture that bred officers to kill government officials and have even senior officers challenge each other to duels, screwing with each others chairs was probably considered tame.

The thing is, one of Yamammoto's flagships was…

Nagato.

Being with a troll like that has helped influence her Nagamon tendencies.

Honestly some of the tension within the Japanese higher-ups (which at this point basically equated the military) was to be expected.

By this point if I have the timeline right, most if not all foreign trade has been cut off, resulting in a massive shortage of vital materials such as oil (about 80% of it I think), metals, rubber, foodstuffs etc that were normaly imported. They got some of said materials from occupied Korea and China but they didn't have the manpower to fully pacify the much larger country.

The army had originally intended to push up into Siberia in order to A: take control of the oil fields+mines and B: Cripple the Soviet Union before they could do anything. When they got rolled back it was the navy's turn to 'shine'.

Their idea was to snag all the various pacific islands/colonial possessions of the European powers who were too busy fending of the Axis to do anything. Of course there was the worry that if they moved south the USA would get involved. Therefor the idea was to deliver a knockout/demoralizing blow to the US and then sue for peace (we don't keep fighting you, you let us do what we want in the Pacific etc).

Of course we all know how that plan turned out.

Thing is, the whole dysfunctional relationship between the Japanese Army and Navy goes clear back to the formation of both. It never really reached a head until the 1920s and 30s when it got so bad they were assassinating each others officers, but working together harmoniously was always the exception with them, never the rule.

Chapter 25
Apologies for the delay everyone, but here we are! And a double feature too! The proper chapter, here, and a French omake to go with it.

First though, I now have this as well. For all your naval history needs!

Now, the chapter:

Chapter 25

Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.

The sound of construction had become quite familiar to Saratoga, as had the feeling of welding and riveting throughout her hull. An itch she couldn't scratch. The occasional jab to parts of her body. She had never really noticed it before. Not in her older refits, where she had just...gone to sleep and woken up again when the refit was complete.

But she couldn't just sleep. Not now.

I...

Letting a sigh escape her lips, the old carrier shook her head. She was like a lovesick schoolgirl...

Well, she assumed that anyway. She wouldn't know really, now would she?

"I miss him already," Sara's hand rose from her side, coming to rest against her chest. The thump of her heart comforted her. Reminded her she was alive...and more than just a pile of steel. Sometimes she needed that. Like...like she needed the reassurance of her Admiral. "Listen to me. He's gone for a week and I already..."

Shaking her head again, Sara clenched her fist in her uniform. The white fabric, red ribbon laying over it, was rough against her hand. But again, it was still feeling. That was more than she could have said, as short as a year ago. A year ago, she was just...existing. Going along with the whims of her crew, a silent observer. She spent most of her time just standing atop her island, looking at the waves and clouds pass her by. Watching her aircrew take to the air and learn to fly.

Sara had been proud of them. They were the best in the world, and it was her and Lex who had created that force. Why shouldn't she have been proud?

But for all that pride, she couldn't forget. She was invisible, silent, and completely unnoticed. Not one person had ever noticed her, not that she had made any real effort to be noticed. There hadn't been much of a need. No one could hear her, trying to talk was a waste of time. And...and...a sigh rushed up again. If Sara was being brutally honest, she had never cared enough. She had not been attached enough to anyone to try.

And now that she was, losing him was all the more painful.

"This is silly. It's all so silly. Mama Langley would..." The bluenette grimaced, her hand clenching tighter in her uniform. Mama...she could really use talking with her mother right about now. Langley would know just what to say, she knew that.

Her Mother was in the Philippines though.

Finally letting her hand drop, Sara felt an itch in her eye. A wetness...

A tear.

"We need each other, don't we?"

Hand shaking as she raised it to wipe away the tear, she let out a shaky laugh. The comforting beat of her heart was painful now, when Sara looked out at the men swarming upon her deck. They weren't her crew. They weren't special to her. She wasn't special to them either, was she? Sara wasn't the pride of the navy, not anymore. She was another old ship they were fixing up.

'They only don't care because they don't know you. How wonderful you are.'

She could hear her Admiral saying that, if she brought up that feeling. It was enough to bring a small smile to the old carrier's face at the thought. He didn't realize how wonderful he was, just being there. She had no one else to talk to, not before and not now. Was it any wonder she missed him? No, it wasn't. And that was why Sara found herself so very...melancholy.

"Hey! Put your backs into it down there!"

Sara sighed softly, looking down on the man who had shouted that. She didn't know his name. But he was the one in charge of the work crews swarming her hull, and at least was respectful of her. More than she could say about many people who had walked her halls over the years. It might have helped that the rather...substantial...refit she was undergoing made more money for him and those who worked under him.

Regardless, at least he wasn't treating her like a pile of steel.

"Come on boss, it's not like the Japs are going to attack or anything," one of the other workers groaned. That man was rubbing his back after setting down a toolbox, looking distinctly put-out by his job. "'sides, this old girl isn't anything special now. Just really big."

I...

"Jenkins, if you complain one more time, I'm taking you off shift," the 'boss' shot back. His eyes narrowed at the younger man, his hand flung out to gesture at the long hull they stood on. "I will not be the one responsible for failing our job. Especially not on Sister Sara."

"Why?"

That question was asked by both 'Jenkins' and Sara herself. Of course, only one of them was heard. And only one of them would be answered.

"Because my son is a fly-boy off her." The boss replied harshly, pointing at the deck beneath his feet. His eyes narrowed at the other worker, "And I don't want him getting in trouble out there because we slacked off. 'sides, these ships are our job. We keep them running. So don't even think about slacking off."

Grumbles answered that, but the other men got back to their work. And Sara watched them go, heart stopped. At least, until she shook her head, feeling a flush cross her pale face.

Why not?

Because she hadn't expected to hear that from some dockyard worker. He clearly had no idea what they were, but he didn't care either. Hunk of steel she may have been to these men, but some of them really did care about her. They wanted the best for her. The old 'Queen of the Seas'. It had been a long time since anyone had sung that song on her decks...

But it reminded her of one thing.

Even if they can't see me, some of these men...they still want the best for me.

Maybe it was just their jobs. Maybe it wasn't because it was her, outside a few cases. But the point remained that other people did care about her and the other girls.

"Admiral...is this what you meant?" Sara whispered, clutching at her chest again. A small smile crossed her face, despite the aches and pains in her body. Her bright green eyes were wet, when she looked up at the clear blue sky above her. "You said that you wouldn't be the only one who cared about me. That Captain Halsey isn't the only one for Little E."

Sara's smile didn't fade, when she shut her eyes. She could imagine Admiral Thompson's smiling face by her side, the Admiral embarrassingly scratching the back of his head like he always did.

'Well, I may be the only one right now, but it won't always be like that Sara.'

'It won't?'

'Not at all! If I've learned anything, it's that you girls won't stop at anything. If you want to be heard, you'll be heard. And...' The Admiral had sighed, shaking his head bemusedly. He placed a hand on Sara's shoulder, squeezing gently. 'I've been in the Navy long enough to know how much sailors care for their ships. Someone else will get through to you, eventually.'

Opening her eyes, Sara reached her free hand up to wipe at them. Her hand came away wet again...but they were happy tears now. Yes, her Admiral was gone. But his words remained. She believed in what he said, that one day, others could care about her.

But...

Not like he did. What they had was special. And she cherished it...so very much.

"I'll be ready when you come back Admiral," Sara whispered, making a silent promise to herself. A promise that... "I'll be the best I can be when you return. And I will never let you down!"

"I really hope I don't let them all down..."

Admiral Thompson resisted the urge to wince, when the car he rode in went over a pothole. The novelty of riding in a classic car had very quickly faded. Now, he just wanted it to be over with...while also wanting to not reach his destination.

That he was alone in the back of this car at least meant he could suitably worry without having Admiral Richardson sending him odd looks.

And worry he did.

This is...something I have no idea how to do. Convincing Richardson and Halsey...hell, Little E did most of the work with Halsey. Richardson got lucky with Utah. I have no idea how I'm going to convince the President!

Sighing, Thompson tapped his foot against the floor of the old car. The rattle of the antique engine more than disguised the noise, not that the much lower ranked man driving the thing would have commented had he noticed. The Admiral knew that much, both from the here and now and from his own time. Ratings didn't comment on what Admiral's did unless directly asked.

Well, not when the Admiral could hear anyway.

"Sara..." Thompson sighed again, his green eyes trailing to the briefcase by his side. So much of his evidence and arguments depended on her. They had spent long nights, hunched over his table, trying to put something together.

He owed that woman more than she would ever know. If it weren't for her, he wouldn't be half as prepared for all of this as he was.

A small smile crossed his face at the thought, Thompson shaking his head, "Who am I kidding...if it weren't for her I'd have gone crazy by now."

Ignoring a particularly sudden jerk of the car, the young Admiral reflected on that statement. The funny thing was, he knew that wasn't even a joke. Oh sure it may have been phrased as such. But just as the times he'd talked to Sara...that wasn't the case. It wasn't a joke. If it were not for Saratoga, he may well have cracked under the pressure. He was one man, trying to save millions of lives. Trying to forge the United States Navy of 1945, in 1941. And were he trying that alone?

Well, Thompson was not so egotistical to think he would have been capable of that.

Sometimes, in the week since he had left her, he wondered how Sara was fairing without him. She didn't have anyone else to talk to but Ari, he knew that. Just like...well, just like he didn't have anyone to talk to.

Richardson was a good confidant, a smart man.

But Thompson could hardly go telling him the real truth. Or talking about his worries for the future. Only Sara could talk with him about that...and she was all the way across the country.

I wonder when we started to rely on each other so much?

Shaking his head, Thompson pulled his briefcase into his lap. Thinking about how much he missed his closest friend wasn't going to do much good, if he never actually saw her again. And if he wanted any chance of that...

He had to do the next bit of his job perfectly.

One misstep, and he may never see anything but the walls of a mental institution ever again. And wouldn't that be a fine capstone on his career?

"Admiral, we've arrived."

Broken from his brooding, Thompson looked up at the rating in front of him. The much younger man had turned his head, a confused expression on it. One that became quite apparent, when the Admiral realized why there had been a sudden jerk. Because they had arrived at their destination...the current headquarters of the CNO, at least until the Pentagon was complete.

He hadn't even realized they had arrived.

Not a good start, was it?

"I see we have," Thompson covered his inattention with a light cough, nodding at the younger man. He put a small smile on his face as well, doing his best not to think about what awaited him. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, sir." The other man still looked quite confused, but again...do not comment on the Admiral's actions.

Though the rumors were probably going to spread.

Lovely.

"Carry on then."

With one final nod, Thompson pulled his cover down and stepped out of the staff car. The glare of a midday sun greeted him, pounding down on the man despite the time of year. Though bright as it may have been, it didn't change that fact. Because the Admiral felt a chill when he exited the vehicle. Both because of the winter winds...and because of what he was going to do.

At least he could see Admiral Richardson awaiting him, having arrived sooner than he himself had. The older man was bundled up in a thick coat, but his face remained clear. In fact, he sent the younger man a disappointed look...probably for his late arrival. His hard-featured face made the expression even harsher than it might otherwise have been.

Funny, Halsey couldn't do the same!

"Sorry for the delay, Admiral," Thompson hid a wince when he saw the flinty eyes behind Richardson's glasses.

"Come on," Richardson didn't comment on the apology either. He merely nodded at the door behind the two officers, held open by two young MPs. "Admiral Stark is in a meeting, at the moment. That will not last long." Not giving Thompson a chance to reply, the elder officer strode through the open door and into the long halls of the headquarters, the other Admiral following his superior into the breach...so to speak.

Secretaries typed away on old typewriters all around the two men upon entering the building, running official dispatches back and forth. Younger officers dashed from room to room. Only a relative few of the various workers even acknowledged the officers, a sign of just how focused they were.

After all, even here, two Admirals- most certainly the CinCUS -coming into the building couldn't be common.

But...the point remained. And for Thompson, it was a very new and surreal experience. More and more, whenever he was off Sara, he felt like he was walking through a period movie. The workers surrounding him felt like something out of an old sitcom or movie that his grandparents would have watched. But he was living it. It was an...decidedly odd experience. To say the least.

"Sir, do we know how long the meeting will last?" Thompson spoke up softly, careful to not disturb the workers around them.

He rather liked not having all the attention.

Richardson didn't so much as break stride when he shook his head, "No."

"Well then..." Sighing softly, Thompson could only frown. On the one hand, he'd have time to talk to Richardson before the meeting began. On the other hand...well, more time to worry over it.

Nothing for it though.

"I'd like to talk things over before we meet Admiral Stark then," the younger Admiral quietly added. His eyes roamed over the workers surrounding the pair of men, wincing slightly at the attention. "Preferably somewhere without everyone watching us."

He may have been imagining things, but Thompson could have sworn he saw Richardson's lips twitch upward, "Indeed."

The elder man didn't say anything else, as he switched trajectories, moving towards a side-office. Thompson was all too happy to follow Richardson in that regard, as he had no idea where he was going. The Pentagon hadn't even begun construction yet...the time-traveler was understandably not familiar with it's predecessor. He shouldn't have been.

Did force him to follow Richardson around like a lost puppy though. Which had to be doing wonder for his image.

Still, he had no problems with it, as the elder man lead him into the office, and towards a long table. Clearly a proper meeting room, it was completely empty at the moment. Which suited Thompson just fine, the Admiral setting his briefcase down on the table and taking a seat across from his superior. Richardson merely laced his fingers together, raising his eyebrow at the younger officer.

"What do you want to talk about, Admiral Thompson?" Richardson asked calmly, not a hint of worry in his features.

"..." Thompson wished he could feel like that. Sighing softly, he shook his head and just plowed ahead at full speed, "I wonder how you're so calm about this, sir. If I can speak freely...I'm not."

Richardson's lips did move to a small, barely noticeable, smile this time. His square and rugged features didn't lend themselves well to the smile, but it was there.

"If you think I am not worried, you're wrong, son." Richardson shook his head, clear bemusement present. "No, I imagine I'm as worried as you are. This is far from a standard meeting."

Not able to help it, Thompson snorted, "No, it isn't. I'd say this stopped being standard the moment Sara talked to me."

Or, rather, the moment he came back in time. But no need for Richardson to know that. Not now, maybe not ever.

"I imagine." The elder Admiral's lips twitched further upwards, if only for a second. But only for a second, before a frown overtook his features. A frown directed at the door the two had entered from. More importantly...at... "Admiral Stark, on the other hand, may not believe it so easily. He is not an easy man to convince."

Thompson could only sigh. He really...he didn't know enough about Admiral Stark. He was familiar enough with the big names. Nimitz. Spruance. Fletcher. Halsey. Even Richardson. But Stark? No, he couldn't say what to expect with the man. Would he believe them? Or would they be laughed out without so much as a chance to argue? Who knew. He didn't.

But he also knew there wasn't a choice. If they wanted to get to President Roosevelt, they needed to go through Admiral Stark first and foremost. The CNO could get them to the Secretary of the Navy, and from there, to the President. And if the goal was to convince the high-command that the girls were real, they needed to convince the President himself.

It wouldn't matter if the whole damn Navy saw them, if the President didn't believe them. Especially this President.

Roosevelt had more power than any other President that Thompson could think of, off the top of his head.

"I figured as much," Thompson shook his head, looking down at his lap. Another sigh escaped his lips, when he turned an eye back up at Richardson, "But what choice do we really have, sir? If we can't convince him, we'll be..."

"Retired. Perhaps sent to Pennhurst." Richardson spoke with complete flatness, utterly unbefitting the situation. In fact, his expression didn't even change.

"...you're so calm about this."

Richardson just shook his head, "Again, no. Admiral Thompson, this is the most serious situation that either of us have ever been in. The Navy took a lot of risk promoting someone so young to your rank, yes, but that is nothing on this. We are going to argue a revelation that throws everything we know on it's head." The older Admiral frowned, tapping the table idly with one of his fingers. "Religion, society, our very existence is in question, with the knowledge that the ships we build have souls. Every bit as human as our own."

This was...something Thompson knew very well.

'Ship girls?'

'Nonsense, there must be some sort of explanation. Logic and science...'

'It's all magic, dess!'

'She is right...'

Shaking his head, Thompson forced those memories- especially the voice of a certain Japanese fast battleship -back from his mind. Thinking on those days...right. The point remained though, he knew what would happen. He had seen it happen. Religious figures would adapt, outside the fringe extremists. Scientists would pound their heads in the proverbial brick walls. And politicians would start raising a fuss over the rights of the girls.

It had all happened before.

But...

It's different this time, isn't it? They're very clearly spirits this time. And the hulls have them. And it's the '40s.

Frowning, the young Admiral tapped his own finger on his briefcase, "I know that, sir. But...we just don't have a choice. I won't let Sara just be ignored, and I know Bu...Admiral Halsey feels the same about Enterprise."

"You will have no argument from me," Richardson shrugged, ever so slightly. The older man looked Thompson straight in the eye, his flinty eyes staring into the younger Admiral's green. "In fact, I agree with you. It is only a matter of time until all the ships in our fleet begin talking with their crews. Not just their Captains or Admirals or Engineering officers. The entire crews. It is far better..."

"That we get it out of the way now." Thompson finished.

His superior officer nodded, "Indeed. Now..."

Before the CinCUS could do more than open his mouth, the pair of Admirals were interrupted. And not just interrupted by anyone. Because while Thompson couldn't tell the man's personality from any other Admiral...

He at least knew enough to know Admiral Harold Stark on sight. The man next to him was rather more familiar...Ernst King was one of the single most influential and famous figures in the United States Navy, after all.

And both men were standing in the doorway, the former lowering his hand from a polite cough.

"Our ships talking with their crews, you say?" Stark's voice was incredulous, as was his raised eyebrow.

And all Thompson could do was blink and curse his luck.

Shit...

Omake: Strasbourg
Omake: Strasbourg

The hustle and bustle of Toulon was...gone. The proud port, home of the Marine Nationale's Mediterranean Squadron, was eerily silent. Shipping that had once prowled the waves between the Métropole and North Africa hid in the port. France, the true France, was neutral in the War. Her territory was under German occupation, yes. Her proud capitol of Paris languished under the heel of the Boche. But France was free.

Vichy may rule the nation.

Her armies and fleets may be crippled.

But she was not a puppet. She was not under German rule, no matter what that fool de Gaulle crowed over in the Colonies. That was the truth. France was free, and so long as her proud fleet and what remained of her army remained, that would not change. She would continue her neutrality. There would be no further war on French soil, mainland or African.

Or...so was what the battleship Strasbourg told herself.

"Those bastards...my sister is dead because of them..." Strasbourg had taken to pacing along the length of her hull, in lieu of anything else to do. She was not allowed to sortie, France lacking the fuel to do so. And the ever-present danger that the Royal Navy may attempt to finish the job. "Allies...I knew we couldn't trust the English!"

The young battleship was not headstrong, or so she liked to think. But what she was? Angry. And frustrated.

I saw our allies betray us. I saw them kill Bretagne and my sister.

And there was absolutely nothing she could do about it. Strasbourg would love nothing more than to pay back the French blood spilled at Mers-el-Kebir with an equal amount of English blood. But she couldn't. Because even if there were fuel to sortie, it wouldn't have mattered. There was no way she could win. Not alone, not even in concert with what little remained loyal to France.

Richelieu and Jean Bart...her successors, stranded in African ports that couldn't support them.

Provence, Bretagne, Paris, Courbet...her mentors were sunk. Or taken by perfidous Albion.

Strasbourg was...alone. She was the only battleship in the French Navy fit for combat, and that hurt. It hurt that her allies, her friends, would do that to her. France had been beaten fairly by the Germans. They had surrendered fairly, as would any nation in the face of such overwhelming force.

"And we should have been treated the same...allowed to retain our forces, and proudly serve." Strasbourg muttered, her pale fist slamming into the side of her turret. She had walked the entire length of her hull to this one spot, overlooking Toulon. A spot she vented at on multiple occasions, "And instead, we were betrayed by our allies!"

Her shout echoed through the silent harbor, but it gained no reaction, save for the other spirits on their ships rousing at the noise.

Not that it mattered. Strasbourg bit back a frustrated sigh, using her hand that wasn't throbbing to brush back long strands of black hair. Her blue eyes narrowed when they turned out from the harbor as well...out at the Mediterranean. Her hunting ground, denied to her.

If only they had trusted us. Like we trusted them. Hood...I trusted you like a sister, as we all did. You and the entire Royal Navy. You were our friends and allies, no matter what our forefathers fought over. And you tore all of that away. Washed our alliance in the blood of innocents, all because that bastard of a Prime Minister couldn't accept that we would never let the Boche have us. You self-righteous, entitled, horrible...bastards

The French girl didn't even bother holding back the sigh anymore, sliding down against the cold metal of her barbette. Utterly spent.

Oh, her anger remained. It had not once faded, not since that day. The day where her sister was murdered by their friends. But her energy fled. It always did, Strasbourg unable to keep going. Her dash from that horrible harbor had hurt. She had pushed herself more than she was designed, trying so desperately to avoid the English. Avoid Hood and her prowling destroyers.

She had succeeded.

But it left her weak and stranded in Toulon, the resources just not there to properly refit her. Or even to leave the harbor.

"Are you alright, my lady?!" A stronger voice shouted over, the sound carrying in the otherwise quiet day.

Strasbourg smiled, ever so slightly, when she summoned the energy to shout back, "I am, La Galissonnière! It was...a moment of weakness!"

"You have those quite a lot, my lady!" The light cruiser replied with a hint of amusement carrying over even the great distance between the warships.

It was enough to make Strasbourg giggle, if only for a little while. She didn't bother replying though...this was...well, a ritual for the two. With the lack of sorties and any other stimulation, they had to make do with what they could get. And that meant shouting at each other, their crews oblivious. It was far better than cowering in fear of English attack.

Of the worry that bombers would come for them, much as they had for the Italians. Strasbourg would once have felt a vindictive pride, at the air raid on Taranto. The proud Regia Marina humbled by mere biplanes.

But that was before...before the English had turned her against them.

Now, she emphasized with the foe she had been intended to fight. The Italians had suffered the same as her, attacked when they should have been safe. Ruined by English arms, for no other reason than a fear of facing them in direct combat. Cowards...

Cowards, that was what the Royal Navy was. Foolish cowards who couldn't stand the idea of fighting an equal foe, resorting to underhanded tactics to sway the odds in their favor.

And what makes me angry, is that the bastards are smart. They cripple us piecemeal.

Richelieu, fired upon while incomplete and left to rot in a harbor that couldn't fix her. Jean Bart, forced to shelter in a port that could never finish her construction. Dunkerque and Bretagne, murdered in their home. And Strasbourg herself...stuck in Toulon for lack of fuel, and the fear that the prowling HMS Glorious would attempt to finish the job begun by Hood.

She hated it.

Hated just waiting for the day where she was attacked again. The sound of airplane engines was something she would fear for the rest...of...her...

No!

"Aircraft! Royal Navy!"

The shouts rang from all over her hull, men rushing to their firing positions. Strasbourg, despite the weakness in her legs, was instantly on her feet, rushing to look out at the Sea. And indeed, there was a group of those silly biplanes flying in formation above the clouds. No French aircraft rose to greet them.

For if the lack of fuel crippled her, it just as surely crippled France's air force.

If the English were coming to attack, it would be up to the guns of Strasbourg and her comrades to swat them away. A task they would perform as best they were able, because those bastards would not take more French lives. The young battleship could even now feel her secondary weapons turning, rotating to aim at the English planes. The foolish biplanes could never hope to dodge.

But then, were they even going to attempt to?

"What are they...?" Strasbourg wondered, her anger fading. Confusion replaced it, her blue eyes staring at the English planes, as they turned away from their flight path. Revealing not one plane armed with bombs or torpedoes.

No.

All that fell from those silly planes was paper.

Paper that rained down on the French fleet, a white curtain that blocked the sun if only for a moment. A curtain that landed atop Strasbourg's deck, the battleship rushing to pick one up before her crew could notice.

And when she looked at that paper, she almost wished it had been a bomb.

"Proud soldiers and sailors of France, don't listen to the lies of your Marshal! Petain has betrayed the very cause he fought for, working with the Huns who killed so many of your countrymen in two Great Wars! Who even now occupy your proud nation. Use your brave citizens as labor to power their war machine!

Throw off your shackles and return to our Alliance! General de Gaulle and the Free French will gladly take you in. You will be fed and treated as the friends and allies we are, not as enemies the Germans would have you believe we are!"

There were more words. In both English and French.

Strasbourg did not see them.

"Those...those...those..." Her hands shook, the paper crumpling in the iron grip that only a battleship, even a small one, could manage. The white print tearing away in strips, as Strasbourg tore it apart. Her blue eyes glared up at the sky, where paper continued to rain down.

Because her anger returned with a vengeance, directed at the distant biplanes.

"Bastards! You dare to say that we're allies? Friends?" Strasbourg screamed, uncaring if it made her voice raw. Uncaring if anyone heard. Her body vibrated with uncontrolled rage. "Friends do not murder friends! Allies do not betray each other, just because one has to have an honorable peace! You can take your pleas and run! I will never work with you again!"

Slamming her fist into her barbette once more, Strasbourg felt tears flowing. But she made no effort to wipe them away, even as the watery effect ruined her eyesight.

I hate you! All of you!

This is probably not going to end with mere hamster/elderberry jokes. Hopefully there won't be Early Abyssal Shenanigans over this though.

"Because my son is a fly-boy off her." The boss replied harshly, pointing at the deck beneath his feet. His eyes narrowed at the other worker, "And I don't want him getting in trouble out there because we slacked off. 'sides, these ships are our job. We keep them running. So don't even think about slacking off."

Grumbles answered that, but the other men got back to their work. And Sara watched them go, heart stopped. At least, until she shook her head, feeling a flush cross her pale face.
I like this work boss. That Jenkins fellow, however, I question his commitment, his dedication. It might be wise to replace him anyway, since the quality of his work (given his attitude) is in doubt.

'It's all magic, dess!'
Ah, Kongou. She's wiser than she lets appear.

"Our ships talking with their crews, you say?" Stark's voice was incredulous, as was his raised eyebrow.

And all Thompson could do was blink and curse his luck.

Shit...
Uhhh. Start talking fast, Admirals. Really fast.

Dunkerque and Bretagne, murdered in their home.
I see Dunkerque didn't make it, unlike in the OTL. RIP Dunkerque.

"Bastards! You dare to say that we're allies? Friends?" Strasbourg screamed, uncaring if it made her voice raw. Uncaring if anyone heard. Her body vibrated with uncontrolled rage. "Friends do not murder friends! Allies do not betray each other, just because one has to have an honorable peace! You can take your pleas and run! I will never work with you again!"
Yeeaahhh, the message is remarkably tone deaf under the current circumstances isn't it? It might satisfy Strasbourg (at least a bit) to know Hood is as ashamed as she is livid, but all the same working with Britain is out of the question for the foreseeable future. I wonder though, does Strasbourg still have an at least neutral attitude towards the USN?

Nice updates.

I fear Strasbourg is lost to us
Perhaps not to the US, but you're likely right re: Britain. That bridge was essentially annihilated.
You know? As much as I hate to say this. But I really would like to see one of the go Abyssal.
At that point, it would be a mercy killing.

Last edited:
Strasbourg is very mistaken.

Somehow, you will never know that your own crew will send you to the bottom of Toulon Harbor.

And also.....

Thompson, you better start talking fast, otherwise you will get a kicking from Stark himself.

Last edited:
She rathed die than fight either for the British (as part of the Free French) or the Germans?
Look at it from her perspective. Fight for the British, the country that killed your sister and friends without provocation? That's an incredibly hard thing to sell to her imo. As for the Nazis, I will reference her sister's feelings on the subject (that Strasbourg likely shared):
Damn Englishman, we would never work with the Germans. I would sooner sink myself, and I'm sure my crew would as well!

Look at it from her perspective. Fight for the British, the country that killed your sister and friends without provocation? That's an incredibly hard thing to sell to her imo. As for the Nazis, I will reference her sister's feelings on the subject (that Strasbourg likely shared):
Mortons Fork? That is hard.

The only reasonable thing that will end well in her book is being scuttled by her crew or getting blasted to bits, from the looks of things.

Ah, King. The best enemy the Kriegsmarine could have wished for. Operation Paukenschlag was such a great success because of that man.
And the worst enemy of anyone in hearing range. His bad mood, stubborness and long held vendettas were legendary. To be fair, there were a lot of factors involved in the german attack to the american shipping, and his stubborness and dislike of the british was part of the reason that adecuate resources were alocated to the Pacific despite Roosvelt's predilection for the ETO.

On the other hand the Court Martial of McVay for the sinking of the USS Indianapolis was an act that won't ever be forgotten nor forgiven.

My guess is that King will be one of the biggest opposition that our Thompson will have to deal with given who he is. He did have an infamous reputation even before the war.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is the first one to mention how young our time travelling protagonist is and try to use that against him. Which wouldn't help Thompson because he really doesn't know much about his background in this universe.

Last edited:
My guess is that King will be one of the biggest opposition that our Thompson will have to deal with given who he is. He did have an infamous reputation even before the war.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is the first one to mention how young our time travelling protagonist is and try to use that against him. Which wouldn't help Thompson because he really doesn't know much about his background background in this universe.
On the other hand if he can give King a pragmatic outlook of the shipgirls as more effective weapons he at least won't be disappeared by accident (King's treatment of the survivors of the Battle of Savo Island was deplorable enough that they rioted in the detention center they have been reclused). But yeah, if Thompson expects King to grant anything approaching rights and protection the the girls he better prepare himself for a fight.

Last edited:
Back