Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

One other thing to remember is that Hans Speidel is a member of Oster's circle of conspirators. And here he's Guderian's right hand man and a good friend of Italo Balbo. (The one Italian Fascist to openly criticize the racial laws, wonder what will happen when those two get their heads together after the decrees following the Wannsee Conference become known.)

One other thing to remember is that Hans Speidel is a member of Oster's circle of conspirators. And here he's Guderian's right hand man and a good friend of Italo Balbo. (The one Italian Fascist to openly criticize the racial laws, wonder what will happen when those two get their heads together after the decrees following the Wannsee Conference become known.)
See this is just reading to me as there's an inside man ready to take over when Guderians baby blows up in his face and is subsiquently PNG'd to the Eastern Front.

I remember reading in Ludovic Kennedy's Death of the Tirpitz that KzS Karl Topp (Tirpitz's first CO) was a well-liked CO, and he even grew a beard when the crew asked him to. I can picture this scene, if you want him to meet his shipgirl.

*Tirpitz Captain's Quarters*
Topp: *Muttering while looking in the mirror* This beard is itchy, but seeing as how we're in Norway during the winter, I'll live with it.
Tirpitz: *Suddenly appears* I like a beard on a handsome man, Herr Kapitan. *Mischievous grin*

I know that during the war recon units like the Alamo Scouts would have a drum magazine chambered while the rest of their ammunition was stored in the more practical sticks, that was to augment the squad's initial bout of firepower in order to maximize the surprise factor when setting an ambush or to facilitate breaking contact when stumbling into an unexpected enemy patrol.

[reads about Guderian defeating Operation CRUSADER]
To borrow a quaint phrase from another board, "Zeus Father and Saviour, what a true and total clusterfuck." Lions led by donkeys, indeed....

[reads about Guderian defeating Operation CRUSADER]
To borrow a quaint phrase from another board, "Zeus Father and Saviour, what a true and total clusterfuck." Lions led by donkeys, indeed....

Yeah....that's accurate, mainly because Operation: Crusader was OTL a major victory for the Allies. I can't begin the fathom the butterflies that might result from this, for all we know this might allow Guderian to launch a counter-attack that dislodges the British from Torbuk.

Yeah....that's accurate, mainly because Operation: Crusader was OTL a major victory for the Allies. I can't begin the fathom the butterflies that might result from this, for all we know this might allow Guderian to launch a counter-attack that dislodges the British from Torbuk.

Guderian has no intention of an attempt to besiege/assault Tobruk. Remember his maxims of panzer warfare include the big one of 'Thou shalt NOT attack a heavily fortified position with thy panzer units'. Since taking Tobruk the British not only fortified beyond what the Italians had done, but had also completed a rail line to Tobruk for resupply. Tobruk was also within range of RAF air support from Egypt and the British had even completed a brand new airstrip at Tobruk in Part 2. Which is why Guderian only did the equivalent of driveby shooting raids and pokes at 3-4 in the morning. And on the diversionary feint to sucker the British into the chase, Guderian had brought enough mortars to put the aircraft at the base out of action to prevent the British any eyes in the sky.

And remember, despite Mussolini wanting Tobruk back those are not Guderian's orders. He was told to "salvage something out the mess the Italians had made" and to "keep the British from invading Italy". (Which shows the faith that Germany had in Mussolini keeping that from happening)

When he took command the British had just advanced to El Agheila and were at the end of their logistical rope, so Guderian was able to smack the British and chase them all the way out of Benghazi to about halfway between Benghazi and Tobruk. Guderian halted there, began to fortify El Agheila and Benghazi, and kept sending nuisance raids at the British in Tobruk.

Part of the reason Guderian is willing to support Kesselring in Operation Herkules is that Guderian sees it as another thing to fulfill his mandate to keep the British from invading Italy.

Guderian has no intention of an attempt to besiege/assault Tobruk. Remember his maxims of panzer warfare include the big one of 'Thou shalt NOT attack a heavily fortified position with thy panzer units'. Since taking Tobruk the British not only fortified beyond what the Italians had done, but had also completed a rail line to Tobruk for resupply. Tobruk was also within range of RAF air support from Egypt and the British had even completed a brand new airstrip at Tobruk in Part 2. Which is why Guderian only did the equivalent of driveby shooting raids and pokes at 3-4 in the morning. And on the diversionary feint to sucker the British into the chase, Guderian had brought enough mortars to put the aircraft at the base out of action to prevent the British any eyes in the sky.

And remember, despite Mussolini wanting Tobruk back those are not Guderian's orders. He was told to "salvage something out the mess the Italians had made" and to "keep the British from invading Italy". (Which shows the faith that Germany had in Mussolini keeping that from happening)

When he took command the British had just advanced to El Agheila and were at the end of their logistical rope, so Guderian was able to smack the British and chase them all the way out of Benghazi to about halfway between Benghazi and Tobruk. Guderian halted there, began to fortify El Agheila and Benghazi, and kept sending nuisance raids at the British in Tobruk.

Part of the reason Guderian is willing to support Kesselring in Operation Herkules is that Guderian sees it as another thing to fulfill his mandate to keep the British from invading Italy.

Plus with Operation: Crusader being such a clusterfuck, I can imagine that the British are going "Bloody hell, we are in a tight spot."

If I recall correctly the Germans started losing in the desert around the time when Rommel was pulled back to German for something.

In OTL Rommel had a bit of a mental breakdown after 2nd El Alamein and the failure to rally thereafter. So he flew back to Germany to recuperate from a 'head injury' (there was suspicion among his detractors that he was manic depressive). Especially since he seemed to be in no hurry to get back to Africa and suggested that Guderian could take his place. OKH laughed and said oh hell no. Thus General Arnim basically took over in Tunisia and managed to drag that out for longer than the Allies wanted.

If I recall correctly the Germans started losing in the desert around the time when Rommel was pulled back to German for something.
Not really, it was due to Afrika Korps logistics being a mess and the British having enough supplies to counter-attack and pursue them after their own offensive lost steam in the Alamein.

He was being treated for jaundice, IIRC. Made him either medically unfit for service, or he was just laid up at the worst possible time for his command (or the Allies got intel and told Monty to go for it).

Remember, Schreiber wants Germany Burned to the ground, so it can be reborn free of the Nazi Taint, with a side order of wrecking the Soviet Union sufficiently that the Soviet occupation and East Berlin never becomes a thing.

Therefore, if Germany's Position in the war looks to be improving on either front, it will alarm him, as it might mean that Germany ends the War more intact than it did OTL. Moreover, if they make less of a dent in the Soviet Union, the Occupation might be expanded, and end up Worse than OTL. This is not something he will allow.
I kind of wonder if he appreciates both the reason why the Soviets wanted payback and the likely human cost of somehow devastating the USSR even more thoroughly than the OTL nightmare realm that was the German-occupied zones and the 25,000,000 Soviet citizens dead by war's end.

Or is he just somehow unaware of it?

Because right now it sounds like he's doing a lot of pearl-clutching about Germany being run by genocidal monsters while secretly thinking the real problem IOTL was they didn't genocide hard enough. This does not a sympathetic individual make.

I kind of wonder if he appreciates both the reason why the Soviets wanted payback and the likely human cost of somehow devastating the USSR even more thoroughly than the OTL nightmare realm that was the German-occupied zones and the 25,000,000 Soviet citizens dead by war's end.

Or is he just somehow unaware of it?

Because right now it sounds like he's doing a lot of pearl-clutching about Germany being run by genocidal monsters while secretly thinking the real problem IOTL was they didn't genocide hard enough. This does not a sympathetic individual make.
I am not sure where you got that idea. Schreiber hates the Soviets because of what happened to his family during the Cold War in East Germany.

Schreiber is fully aware of the horrible atrocities inflicted on the Soviet Union during the Second World War. The man knows that Germany should not win the war and, that in the end, Germany's eventual defeat would give rise to the new democratic Germany that he is truly loyal to.

Also, Schreiber recognizes that his hatred of the Soviets is very much an irrational hatred driven by what happened to his family and his personal experience of growing up in a communist police state that was East Germany. I believe that Schreiber's father was taken by the Stasi (the deeply feared East German secret police)
It is partly the reason why Schreiber regrets turning Bismarck and Blücher completely against the Soviets/Russians.

Last edited:
That, yes. Schreiber knows he's biased by his own experiences. His thought process is less 'fuck the Russians over even more thoroughly' and more 'get a sane government in Germany while the Soviets aren't knocking on the door'. Even then, he slips sometimes.

For perfectly understandable reasons, considering his own life history.

(I've said it before: Schreiber is a foil to Thompson. He's doing something major (saving Germany from itself) for, what amounts to, very personal and biased reasons)

Also, one can not understate the general undercurrent of hate for the Russians here in East Germany.

Russia was the Big Brother, because you can't chose family. Seeing the Russian Army leave in '94, a demoralized bunch that sold equipment to have some hard currency in a Russia where the ruble was known to be extremely weak, there was a lot of schadenfreude about it. Hell, even the Volga Germans imported after reunification were and are rejected as Russians that should go back to Russia.

Kicking the Nazis to the curb and executing them in droves, while also keeping out the Russians and potentially weakening or even crippling Soviet Russia's position and maybe keeping out the Americans as well? It's basically the holy grail for East Germans.

The problem comes with how you manage to knock over the Nazis without also impeding the German war effort so much that the Red Army is able to pick up more ground. That's a tricky balancing act. In particular, everything east of the Oder-Neisse river is liable to be a lost cause regardless of how well he manages to balance things, which could become a problem if Schreiber can't accept that.

Last edited:
That, yes. Schreiber knows he's biased by his own experiences. His thought process is less 'fuck the Russians over even more thoroughly' and more 'get a sane government in Germany while the Soviets aren't knocking on the door'. Even then, he slips sometimes.

For perfectly understandable reasons, considering his own life history.

(I've said it before: Schreiber is a foil to Thompson. He's doing something major (saving Germany from itself) for, what amounts to, very personal and biased reasons)
I imagine that the climate within Nazis Germany such as genuine racism against the Slavs and hatred of communism may have a minor influence on Schreiber's slips. In essence, there is a danger that Schreiber could become influenced by the mask he wears to protect himself and achieve his goals. In the story, Schreiber has used other people's perceptions of him to his advantage, in order to make him more convincing to others. Like when he showed his truthful disdain for the Italians with Erich Raeder. Raeder thought that Schreiber was showing the typical German disdain for the military incompetence of the Italians, when actuality Schreiber was showing his disdain for the Italian fascist government as he could not reveal his hatred for the Nazis. I think one example of an negative effect of his mask's influence is that he has convinced Bismarck and Blücher to hate the Russians.

Last edited:
Chapter 53
Chapter 53
Drip. Drip. Drip.

Bright brown eyes stared at the ocean, their owner draped over the side of a pier. Brown curls of hair fell down towards the water, little droplets falling from the tips. A small smile and a laugh joined them. The girl's hand reached out and gently drew circles in the waves. Her bright smile was reflected back at her, even as the water distorted it. She was always more at home in, or at least around, the water. Being on land felt profoundly unnatural. It probably always would. A drydock was one thing, actually walking around was...weird. Frightening sometimes. There was none of the cold that water gave. None of the control that pushing her turbines gave her. She was at the mercy of whomever came across her, much as anyone else was.

And so, she stayed near the water whenever possible. A thoroughbred horse would always want to run in the fields. A destroyer would always want to be in the water. Sprinting to her next mission with wild abandon.

"To Libya I go~ To Libya I go~." She sang softly, her head nodding side to side. Her brown eyes chasing her reflection in the depths. "To Taranto I come home~ To Taranto..."

Behind- above? -her, a distinctly male voice cleared his throat. The little destroyer tilted her head back, blinking a little at the sunlight shining down on her. When the spots cleared from her eyes, her smile widened. A more natural grin appeared. And it was all she could do to not jump up and grab the man in a tight embrace.

"Turbine," for his part, the man clearly realized that. He brought a hand up to keep her from moving...even as he smiled himself. His lined face, now decorated by fresher scars, twisted a bit. No woman would call him handsome after surviving two sinkings, in two different wars.

He didn't, and never seemed to, care. The Navy had always been his life, in a very real way. Now that she was around...well. It was a bit more literal.

"You know, you can't keep running off like this." His voice attempted to be stern. Even with the natural gruffness that came from working in a sweltering engine room, it didn't quite work. The softness of his smile ruined it. "If I have to keep dragging you back, our friend the German will get upset."

As quick as it had come, her smile faded. Turbine let out a sigh that turned into a whistle that would make her old crew jump to attention. Even her...father...Carlo twitched a little. "I don't like him."

"I think the feeling is mutual, Turbine." Carlo smiled and sat down next to the destroyer. His hands produced a piece of bread, that he broke in two and passed over to the destroyer. The engineer chuckled, when Turbine eagerly grabbed her half and stuffed it into her mouth. Chuckle or no, his eyes were still serious, however. "The Lord only knows that I don't trust him."

Turbine nodded, even though her cheeks were puffed out by the bread she was hastily chewing.

"And that's why you can't keep running off like this," Carlo continued, reaching a hand out to pat the destroyer on the head. He still remembered that fateful day, and how she had mentioned liking when he patted her boilers. As she leaned into his touch with a smile, the Italian officer sighed softly. "If you do, he'll start thinking you're going to leave. We can't do that."

The destroyer swallowed, and shrunk in on herself a little. Her feet aimlessly kicked in the air, while her head fell back down to the water. The tips of her hair swirled in the deep blue, as brown eyes stared up at her father. Her voice was tiny when she spoke up, "He scares me."

Carlo could only sigh again, and place his hand on Turbine's arm. "I know."

Nothing more needed to be said. Both of them knew what was bothering the destroyer. Turbine, behind her easy smile, was still a bit timid after her sinking. Who wouldn't be, when they were pounded into scrap by an unusually good shooting light cruiser? No destroyer came out of that easily. And the German...the German. He wasn't normal. He wasn't right.

His smile scares me. What does that man want with me? Why is he...

The German stared at her. When he didn't think she was looking, he grinned at something only he could see. Even when she did look directly at him, he still smiled. A smile that was too wide and that didn't reach his eyes. The man was creepy. He practically leered at her with every glance. Turbine didn't know what he wanted with her, either. It wasn't sexual. She knew that much.

It was something worse. There was a light in his eyes that struck deep into her soul. The light of insanity.

"...you're not leaving me, right, father?" Turbine lifted her head up, water dripping down her face as she stared at her engineer. The closest thing to a father she had.

Carlo just smiled at her, "Never again. I promised you that I would never leave, that day. Remember?"

"...yeah." The little destroyer smiled, and pulled herself fully up. Her skirt ruffled with the movement, as she stood up and looked down on the old man. "Should we head back? I really don't want to..."

"Unfortunately, I don't think we have a choice there." Carlo climbed to his own feet, smoothing down his uniform before placing a hand on Turbine's shoulder. She appreciated the touch. "I heard the Germans are sending an Admiral down to talk to you, now. Can't miss that, can we?" Squeezing slightly, the Italian sighed and looked up at the sky. "An Admiral...they're taking this seriously. I almost wish I had hidden that you returned."

"Would that have worked?" Turbine didn't even hesitate to lean into her engineer's side, looking up at him with wide brown eyes.

Prompting a snort from the man, "No, probably not. I was too happy to have you back, and the Navy wondered where I had hidden your flag. Couldn't very well hide that for long. il Capitano was apoplectic when he found out I took it."

Turbine giggled, and Carlo smiled. Successful distraction maneuver.

"Come on now, Turbine. Let's not keep our friend from the SS waiting. And I'm sure the Admiral wants to talk to you."

Distraction or not, they had a job to do. If Carlo wished he still had Turbine's flag, the heart of an Italian warship? Well, that was one thing. It was another entirely, to be willing to deal with a German without the emotional support it had provided him. In the dark days after her sinking, it was the one thing he had to remind him. To keep the girl he had seen in his mind.

He still didn't know how it had brought her back...and yet, he never complained.

"I wanted her back, so dearly..."

Turbine looked over at her engineer, confusion lining her youthful features. "Father? Is something wrong?"

Carlo was lost in his thoughts and didn't reply.

It was a dark night, on the Taranto shoreline. The new moon provided no illumination. Even the lights from the naval base were gone, as most ships had been moved to safer ground after the raid. Only starlight shone down, glittering upon the dark waters of the harbor. One man stood at a pier, empty and desolate, looking out at the waves. Clenched tightly in his hands was a single Italian flag. The battle flag of Turbine.

Carlo Lombardi didn't know why he came out to this pier, her former pier. Perhaps it was because he missed her. When the first Turbine had sunk, he hadn't felt this way. He had been more consumed with loss for his comrades than the ship.

This was different.

His fingers ran along the rough fabric of the flag, as flashes of a brown haired girl ran rampant through his mind. A teenager, covered in her own blood. Smiling at him through obvious pain. Brown eyes staring into his soul, begging him to leave her behind. He...he still saw her. In his dreams. She haunted him, in a way that he had thought reserved for his comrades from the Great War. Who would have thought a destroyer would haunt him so?

'Who would have thought that Turbine had a soul? God...'

Theological questions that could keep the Vatican running for decades, meant nothing to him. What mattered to him, was that he had a promise and no idea how to keep it. Carlo had sworn, the day that Turbine sank, that he would bring her back. How? He didn't have the slightest idea how to do it. If it was even possible. If the Navy built another Turbine, would it be the same girl? Or a new one entirely?

And he couldn't wait that long. He may not live that long.

"What am I even doing out here?" Carlo asked no one in particular, looking up at the sky now. He felt every one of his years in that moment. His shoulders bowed by age and his limbs tired. "I'm not a man of God. I haven't been to Mass in years. How am I supposed to bring her back? How can I bring her back?"

It wasn't as if he expected any sort of reply. Nothing but the wind to answer him, gently wafting off the harbor. Salt and lingering fuel oil filled his nose. Familiar. So very, painfully, familiar. He could almost imagine himself inside her engine room again. Hearing the boilers and turbines pushing her through the waves, as if she were a purebred horse. Smell the scent of sweat and oil that only a sailor knew. Listen to her crew smiling and laughing as they evaded the enemy once again.

So many memories.

So many regrets.

"Turbine, I'm sorry that I can't do anything." Sighing deeply, the engineer let his head fall back down. He stared out at the harbor once more, shaking his head ever so slowly. Nothing. "One day, I'll bring you back. That's a promise, and I intend to keep it. You hear me? Wherever you are, Turbine, I'll bring you back. I swear."

Letting his grip loosen on the flag, Carlo turned away from the harbor and began marching back to the shoreline. He would probably be assigned to another destroyer soon enough. Men like him, men who were chief engineers, were never common enough. It was only to recover from his injuries that it took this long. He'd probably be put on another Turbine-class. Or maybe Legionario, when she was completed. She wouldn't be the same. But...

With nary a sound of warning, the brush of wind turned into a gale. Carlo stumbled, and fell to his face when something slammed into his back. Cold arms wrapped around him, and rough hair pressed into his back. He could feel the poke of a nose pressed into his shoulder, and the wetness of what could only be tears falling upon his uniform. Sobs rang out over the sound of wind, painfully familiar sobs. He knew that voice. He knew that hair. And he certainly knew that nose, and the face it was attached to.

"F---father! You never gave up on me! You brought me back! I was so cold and it was so dark and I just wanted to hear your voice and I---"

Carlo gently turned around, careful not to upset the babbling girl on his back as he shifted her to his front. His eyes met red-rimmed brown, set in a pale face that was flushed pink. A little teenager, sniffling as she clutched tiny hands in his uniform. This wasn't the tough girl who had told him to leave her to die.

Perhaps, that was to be expected. Strength from adversity could flee like the wind, when the danger passed. Lord, did he know that better than most.

"Turbine? How..." Even as he asked the question, Carlo was shaking his head and holding her tightly. The 'how' didn't matter. The 'why' didn't matter. She was here now, and he had kept his promise. "That doesn't matter. Are you alright? Is anything wrong with your turbines? Or your boilers?"

Turbine hiccuped, and despite herself, smiled. "Once an engineer..."

"...always an engineer." The Italian officer finished, smiling himself. "You have no idea how I missed you, dear Turbine. I didn't know it would be so painful."

"I--I missed you too, father." Turbine didn't even care what she was calling him, and Carlo couldn't find it in himself to correct her.

Why bother? She was the closest thing to a daughter he would probably ever have. And he couldn't say no, not now, and not ever again. Not after watching her die before his very eyes. Who even could?

"I told you, Turbine. I promised I would bring you back."

"And you did."

Carlo's own smile widened, as he held the girl close to his chest, heedless of her tears soaking through his uniform. "Indeed. And I won't let you go again."

Turbine couldn't have known what was going through her engineer- her father's -head. She also couldn't care less, though it would probably make her blush had she actually known what it was. Most, if not all, of her attention was focused on the men visible in the distance. Two Germans, in dramatically different uniforms. The familiar grey of the SS officer, who was taller than the other man. Even from this distance, Turbine could see the leer on his face. Sometimes, having the lookout in her mast was less than useful.

The leer still made her shudder and push herself deeper against her father.

As for the other man? Where the SS officer was young and blonde, this man was old and grey. Lines crisscrossed an aged face that had seen too much. He was older than Carlo, and more world-weary. Even from as far as they were, Turbine could see that. From the creases in his forehead, to the way his entire body hung down.

Yet...

"That must be the Admiral." Carlo spoke up, sending an appraising look at the man in a blue uniform. The Italian was smiling slightly, at how the shorter man stood up to the SS officer. "He seems strong."

"He does!" Turbine nodded, unable to hide a smile at how the Admiral was clearly berating the SS man who was slowly losing his leer. Sure, the man was old and tired. But his shoulders were unbowed and he was strong.

"Let's go see what's going on, shall we?" Pushing away from her, if only a little bit, Carlo smiled at Turbine and bowed his head in the direction of the Germans. "I'm curious to meet this Admiral. You?"

Turbine nodded eagerly, feeling at least a little of her nervousness seep away. "Hm! He looks a lot nicer than the other German. Not that it's hard to do!"

"You aren't wrong, Turbine."

With matching smiles on their faces, the Italian officer and destroyer walked up to the two Germans. The tail-end of the argument wafted over to them, carried on the wind. It seemed that the two were...arguing about Turbine. About what she was, and what she meant to the world. It was enough to make the destroyer lose her smile, and Carlo clench his fist. Though he kept the smile, if only to keep the Germans from seeing what he felt.

"...you don't understand, Herr Schreiber! That girl, that warship, is a sign! She is clearly a spirit, a Valkyrie of war, brought to help the Reich triumph over our foes! Reichsführer Himmler has stated that..."

"I don't much care what Herr Himmler has said," the Admiral, Schreiber, held a hand up. His aged features were showing clear distaste, when they glanced at the SS officer. "Or, for that matter, whatever occult nonsense you believe. At best the girl is an angel. I'm not even sure I'm religious enough to believe that, some days. I am Christian enough to consider her a miracle."

While the SS officer turned an interesting shade of puce, the Admiral turned to look at the Italians. A small smile had taken form upon his thin lips, as he sent a sharp nod at them.

"As it turns out, our guests have arrived. Do you care to introduce me to our miracle, Hauptsturmführer Bruder?"

The SS officer growled a little, stiffly spinning on the spot to raise an arm and point at Carlo and Turbine. "Primo Tenente Carlo Lombardi, and Turbine. May I introduce you to Admiral Schreiber?"

"A pleasure." Carlo completely ignored Bruder, reaching out a hand to Schreiber instead. He didn't have the slightest idea how German's saluted each other.

Schreiber didn't seem to care, merely smiling softly as he took the hand and shook it firmly. "Indeed. I've heard a fair bit about the both of you, though I'm not a fan of some of it." Here, the old man sent a stern glance at the SS officer, who was stewing silently in place. "I imagine that I'll get an earful from Herr Himmler later, however, in this moment? I don't see a Valkyrie or whatever occult explanation they dug up from the Celts right now."

As he said that, Schreiber released Carlo's hand, and knelt down to look Turbine in the eye. The destroyer stared right back, smiling ever so slightly. Something that the German returned, gently reaching a hand out to place on her shoulder. In a way that was so very, very familiar.

"All I see is a girl, who needs to be taken care of. Someone who is a miracle, and someone we should protect at all costs." Schreiber's voice dropped a little at the end, becoming almost melancholic. His smile was brittle. "Am I right, Turbine?"

Sending a quick glance at Carlo, and getting a nod in return, Turbine smiled at Schreiber. Wider than she had been before. "Yes sir!"

"Good girl." Stretching back up, Schreiber removed his hand and looked at Carlo and Turbine at once. "I'm sure both of you have a lot to tell me. I'd like to hear your story, and how Turbine came back like this. Perhaps, a demonstration of what she can do on the waves?" At the nods he got in reply, the Admiral sighed softly. "Whatever I see will be going back to Germany. I assure you both, that I am on your side. I don't have the same opinion of Italy that many of my countrymen do. However..."

Schreiber pulled his cap from his head, and rubbed at thinning grey hair. Mopping at sweat forming on his brow.

"I can't make any promises. I have many friends back home, from what I did with Bismarck. I cannot guarantee that will be enough."

*insert apologies about delay here*

The simplest explanation, really, is that work has been murdering me. Holidays are not fun. Ever since the holidays, it has rarely (if ever) slowed down. This leaves me with little motivation to write when I get off, and much motivation to just relax and game on my days off. Not conducive to writing.

That said, I'm probably going to condense my focus on writing down to this, Adventurous Skies, which I do want to go back to my intended weekly updates for, the Indy rewrite...and Purple Phoenix.

The intention in doing so is simple. I want to be able to focus and make up for how work is draining me by having fics that are most important to me. My ultimate goal is to have the Indy rewrite done fairly soon (not posting it until it's 100% done), get back to my intended schedule for Arcadia, and get back into the swing of things here.

I certainly don't intend to take this long to update this again. No matter what.

Dont worry about the delays. Take whatever time you need to write. All of us are willing to wait.

Last edited:
The German stared at her. When he didn't think she was looking, he grinned at something only he could see. Even when she did look directly at him, he still smiled. A smile that was too wide and that didn't reach his eyes. The man was creepy. He practically leered at her with every glance. Turbine didn't know what he wanted with her, either. It wasn't sexual. She knew that much.

It was something worse. There was a light in his eyes that struck deep into her soul. The light of insanity.
Don't stare into the Abyss, Turbine. The Abyss is not for staring into, it is for riddling with bullets and shells. And nobody present would give you shit for an accidental discharge that left a scorched rent in the quay. After all, this is just what happens when you startle a young girl with artillery grade weapons that used to be a warship.

Because, quite frankly, fuck the SS. If there's any group in the war that I'd put my money on accidentally jumpstarting the Abyssal War a half-century-plus-change too early with their deranged obsession with occultism and vengeance, it's them.

I'd hate to see Turbine's reaction to literally anybody her father becomes interested in once things settle down enough for him to start dating.

Back