Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

If they really go that pants on head, it's possible the Malay Barrier will remain contested.
And if the Allies hold onto Rabaul...

I don't think Sky is going to make the war THAT short...
Depends. Thompson's end goal is to prep the us for the war against the abyssals and due to Little E spilling the beans, that plan either got accelerated or derailed.

Oh I mean that they will obviously be putting their primary initial effort into the DEI. That was the whole point of the war for them, after all.

My question was what do they do with the forces available for operations in the Pacific versus South China Sea and Indonesia which are already committed there?

Personally, I think they should secure the rest of SE Asia. Maybe half of New Guinea as part of the defense line in the South Pacific. And then threaten, but not carry out an invasion of India to really freak out the Brits and Aussies.​

Personally, I think they should secure the rest of SE Asia. Maybe half of New Guinea as part of the defense line in the South Pacific. And then threaten, but not carry out an invasion of India to really freak out the Brits and Aussies.

Another thing they can do is take Rabaul and then establish an airfield on Guadalcanal, that will menace the convoys that are heading to Australia.

True, especially if they think that they 'sank' Saratoga who was last seen on fire and fire is what killed Kaga. I can see Yamamoto thinking of another attack on Wake to lure the surviving USN carriers to their doom ala Midway. Well once the Kido Butai is put back together and ready for service.

I don't think so. Remeber, Kaga + Hiryu was a scratch force comprised of the two CVs with the most airplanes. Pearl gutted Japan's Carrier Air power. They aren't gonna send the rest of their CVs out with understrength airwings after how they just got beaten up.

How feasible is a japanese night raid against Wake with fast BB's and cruisers? Because filling the island with 14' shells would be a reasonable way of neutralizing the island until the carrier force is rebuild.

How feasible is a japanese night raid against Wake with fast BB's and cruisers? Because filling the island with 14' shells would be a reasonable way of neutralizing the island until the carrier force is rebuild.
Not very with Force Z likely surviving the air attack, and needing those Fast BBs to deal with them.

Well, IJN doctrine about shelling islands is honestly lackluster. A token bombardment then leaving because who cares if IJA grunts die is what Midway was going to receive. Looking at that and I doubt there will be much will if FBBs were actually sent.

The less said about actual targeting the better. Please, it's best for all of us the less we think about the utter lack of focus the IJN had on what to shell.

Last edited:
Well, IJN doctrine about shelling islands is honestly lackluster. A token bombardment then leaving because who cares if IJA grunts die is what Midway was going to receive. Looking at that and I doubt there will much will if FBBs where actually sent.

The less said about actual targeting the better. Please, it's best for all of us the less we think about the utter lack of focus the IJN had on what to shell.
Yeah, but in an island the size of Wake is actually harder for a naval bombardment not to hit something important than hitting it, especially if they don't care about supporting troops in the first place. And lets be fair, in Guadalcanal the one thing that gave the Marines nightmares was the Kongo's bombardment of Henderson Field, 14' naval artillery fire against unprotected buildings and a runway is devastating.

I don't think so. Remeber, Kaga + Hiryu was a scratch force comprised of the two CVs with the most airplanes. Pearl gutted Japan's Carrier Air power. They aren't gonna send the rest of their CVs out with understrength airwings after how they just got beaten up.

Well I mean once they have the Kido Butai's airwings rebuilt. Not immediately.

Chapter 52
Chapter 52

"Sir,

It has been difficult to evade the Gestapo and SS, at least long enough to send this letter. I do not believe they know who I am, exactly. However, the area around Amsterdam is on lockdown. They are quite determined to catch whomever lead the Jews to safety. I am confident they don't know where the refugees are. His Highness still has enough influence for that, at least. It has done little to calm nerves. If anything, the way that I and the Jews vanished has only made them more angry. I have seen things done by my countrymen that I would not have thought possible. The sailors I remember would never condone this.

Has Germany truly changed, so drastically? Or is it me? Did I never truly know my comrades?

I--I won't worry you with my fears, sir. Suffice to say, I fully comprehend what we are doing now. These men are not worthy of Germany. They are not worth saving. Men who would stand over a child like, like...they aren't worth it. If we are to save Germany, we must cut this darkness out. There can be no compromise. The Germany I remember must return.

You understand that, don't you, sir? That is why you brought me here. Why we all are doing our best. We just need to--

...apologies, I hear men rustling around nearby. I will send another letter as soon as I am able to.

-your loyal subordinate, Frieda Hacke."

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-​

Staring at the letter in his hands, Gustav Schreiber frowned softly. Rumors abounded about what had happened in Holland. Just because he lived in an age before the internet was a fever dream in the mind of science fiction authors, did not mean he could avoid rumors. If anything, it made the rumors wilder, as no one quite knew what had happened. Even in the vaguest terms.

The letter's from Hacke, as she insisted on calling herself, were the only recourse he had. Oster felt no need to tell him anything. Paranoia was strong in the German Resistance.

I suppose I can hardly complain. There are many things I have not told them.

First and foremost, as he looked over his shoulder at a sullen battleship, the existence of the ship spirits. "Bismarck? Is there something wrong?"

His hearing hadn't failed him yet. He had heard her come in, the moment he sat down to read the letter.

"You know exactly what's wrong," not that Bismarck even really attempted to be stealthy. She was crossing her arms and frowning unhappily, actually, with her heeled foot tapping the ground.

All Schreiber could do, was sigh heavily. He pulled himself to his feet, wincing a bit at the sudden cold snap. The depths of a Norwegian winter penetrated, even this deep in the battleship's grand superstructure. The kind of cold that made your bones ache and body not want to move. If he were in Japan...no. That was in the future. The past. He couldn't focus on that.

Instead, a part of his mind wondered, for a second, how the crew on Tirpitz had survived this so long. The thought flitted away as soon as it came. After all...

"Tirpitz will not stop arguing with me!"

...the aforementioned white haired battleship, was the problem. Bismarck tended to get flustered easily when the other girls didn't listen to her, something Blücher abused to no end. When her own sister did it, well, it exacerbated the issue.

"You are aware she just wants to help, yes?" Schreiber gently reminded the tall blonde, placing his hand on her arm. Bismarck huffed, but didn't move away. The Admiral smiled slightly, at that. "I am fairly certain that she'll stop, once we leave the fjord."

If there were ever a girl he met that was completely unlike the one he remembered, it was Tirpitz. He supposed it was inevitable. The Tirpitz he remembered was a quiet girl, who wanted to be left alone and tended to find spots that enabled her. It was a pain to drag her out for anything at all. Her time in Norway- the Lonely Queen of the North -probably caused that.

The Tirpitz here is...different.

Smiling slightly, Schreiber removed his hand and nodded at Bismarck. The battleship kept up her frown, even while she sighed in a mix of resignation and frustration.

"I know all of that, damnit." Bismarck grumbled, turning her intense blue gaze away from the Admiral. Her hands moved down to clench at her nonexistent skirt, while she swayed side to side. "I...Tirpitz is my sister. I should be able to understand her, but I can't. How does Blücher do it?"

Schreiber chuckled, "If I knew the answer to that, I would gladly tell you. I was an only child, I'm afraid."

While Bismarck continued to grumble ineffectually, Schreiber turned and gingerly placed the letter back inside his desk. It wouldn't do to have someone find that. Luckily, Bismarck knew where every member of her crew was, at all times. No one could sneak into this room.

He could still remember the time one of Himmler's plants attempted to look through his belongings, and ended up finding his head down a toilet for his troubles. Bismarck was every bit as vindictive as Blücher some times.

"You know, Admiral," the battleship spoke up, bringing the old man's attention back around. Bismarck looked at him, with an almost pensive expression gracing her classically Teutonic face. "If she can go out like that, what's stopping us? Blücher and I would be quite willing to leave."

That, well, that was a difficult question to answer. Schreiber had explained why, at multiple points. If absolutely nothing else, Bismarck and Blücher were still attached to their hulls. Short of sinking them, he knew of no way to change that. Being as he had absolutely no intention of sinking either of these girls, that was hardly an option. And since it wasn't an option, he had told them to stop pursuing it. Even if they could figure out a way to leave their ships behind, what could they do?

This is Nazi Germany. They will get nowhere, if they try to get close to anyone important.

"You already know my answer, Bismarck." Schreiber merely raised a hand to his brow, rubbing at it tiredly. "At any rate, you're needed here. As soon as Prinz Eugen returns, we are likely to sortie again."

"The Russians," Bismarck practically spat the word, and Schreiber felt a pang of guilt run down his spine.

As much as he loathed the Soviet Union, and what they had done to his family, he still regretted what he had done. He had comprehensively turned Bismarck and Blücher alike, against the Soviets. He didn't want to think how Blücher would react to seeing her sister in Russian service. At least they saw it as harming the Soviets, and not the British.

Lord only knew how many British sailors would die in the cold North, before this was done.

"Indeed," burying whatever guilt he felt deep, deep down...Schreiber looked directly into Bismarck's eyes. "And that, my friend, is why it is so important to Tirpitz that you let her help. She saw what happened the last time you came back from battle."

His eyes, and Bismarck's hand, drifted down to a scar hidden by her overcoat. A web of silvery lines across her stomach, where fifteen-inch shells had cratered her belt. No amount of repairs would ever make that mark go away.

"...I don't want her to get hurt," Bismarck almost whispered, her hand unconsciously rubbing along her hidden scar. Aha. There was the real problem.

Turning away from Bismarck, Schreiber looked out his fogged over porthole. Muggy grey clouds hung low in the sky, covering any sign of the sun. He knew, that if he looked a bit further, he might see part of Tirpitz. The two identical sisters were moored close to each other, for mutual defense. He was also aware that, further out in the harbor, destroyers patrolled. Not far away, Hipper lay waiting for Prinz Eugen to arrive. It was about as strong a battlegroup as Germany could manage, now. Only missing Scharnhorst.

And he knew it would never win a pitched naval battle.

"I can't promise you that, you know." The Admiral continued to stare at the dull sky, whispering himself. Bismarck would hear every word.

"As long as you try, Admiral. That's all I can ask."

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

With his hands firmly shoved inside a thick overcoat, Admiral Schreiber stood upon Bismarck's bridge. Rather, upon the bridge wing, looking out over the isolated fjord. There wasn't much to look at. Hastily erected buildings and docks, to support the fleet. Endless mountains set in a grey sky. Forests of trees being lopped down, to cover up the massive forms of the battleships. While a part of him knew that Trondheim was nearby, the rest of him reflected on how isolated he was now.

In more ways than one.

"I can't do anything back home," Schreiber mused, as his breath misted before his face. On the one hand, it showed how much Hitler trusted him. A thought that disgusted him.

On the other hand, it also showed how much the rest of the party leadership didn't. Oh sure, it was an honor higher than most. Commanding the best fleet Germany had. And yet, it was also a punishment. In these days, before easy and secure communication, he was unable to work with the Resistance. Everything was up to what he had left behind, and he knew that. He imagined Himmler did too. Schreiber was not so arrogant to think that he was squeaky clean to the Party.

"Admiral?"

It didn't help that the one man who could help him, was kept in the dark. Schreiber had yet to truly trust Lindemann, as the Captain walked towards him. Curiosity in the man's stormy eyes had the Admiral wincing slightly. That was never a good sign.

"Yes, Captain?" Schreiber maintained military discipline, continuing to scan the horizon. Even as his subordinate walked up beside him. "I rather doubt this is a courtesy call."

Lindemann smiled, a small and brittle thing. "Hardly. I have reports from back home, in fact."

That brought Schreiber around, a raised eyebrow crossing his lined face. "Oh? And what does the Fatherland ask of us now?"

In response, the Captain pulled out a stack of decrypted Enigma papers, and handed them over. His face studiously blank, beyond the lingering curiosity in his eyes.

Hm. There is something going on here, isn't there?

Taking the documents, Schreiber began to look them over. At first, it was merely the kind of routine dispatches one could expect. Supply manifests, requests for transfers, reports on progress. Nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, it was so mundane, that he wondered why Lindemann had brought them. This was all stuff that the Captains of the ships could handle, and not by any means something requiring him.

That was, until he reached a much more formal paper. One with the signature of Raeder.

"Sortie will be postponed. Upon arrival of Prinz Eugen, continue training exercises. Do not attempt attack." Schreiber read aloud, looking over at Lindemann. No real reaction. "I wonder if this was the Führer? He does like avoiding risk, when it comes to the Navy."

It was as much a test as a stray comment. Lindemann didn't rise to the occasion.

"It was more likely Admiral Raeder himself, sir." The Captain shrugged slightly, and raised a hand to gesture at the papers. "That wasn't what I brought these for. I'm not pleased by the idea of letting the British supply the Bolsheviks, but it isn't important. Not right now."

Schreiber frowned, and turned back to his reading. What spooked his Captain so badly? Because he was beginning to get the feeling it was more than just curiosity, hiding behind that implacable face. It was with a mounting sense of dread, that the Admiral pulled out the last of the papers. This one was much simpler.

While he had summarized the last one, there was no need to summarize this one. It was a very simple message.

One that had his hands turn white as he read. "Admiral Gustav Schreiber, recalled to Berlin at once. To meet with a representative of the Regia Marina."

"That would be what I was curious about, Admiral." Lindemann's voice was only slightly warmer than the winter air, as he looked over at the Admiral. "Why would command want you in Berlin? To meet with the Italians of all people?"

The Admiral didn't respond. Something that he knew the Captain missed, was printed at the bottom. A picture of the dignitary he was supposed to meet. Perhaps Lindemann had simply not cared about it. Perhaps, he had missed it. Or he brushed it off as a picture taken of a man and his daughter, instead of what Schreiber knew it to be. It was even possible the man who took the picture didn't know.

That was not the case for the man from the future. Even in black and white, with no colors of hair or uniform to work with, he recognized the girl. He didn't recognize the apparent Captain in the picture, but that didn't really mean much. He wasn't Italian.

The girl was. An impossible girl, wearing a very heavily customized version of an Italian naval uniform. She was young, perhaps barely into her teens. A girl who shouldn't be near the military. Unless...unless she were not human at all. Or, at least, not a normal girl.

An Italian destroyer. Impossible.

"Ah...I suppose, it is probably to discuss joint naval actions." Schreiber covered whatever he felt, his roiling emotions subsumed under the mask that had fooled Hitler. "I imagine they want to learn from the man who has actually fought the British and lived to tell the tale."

Lindemann actually chuckled a bit, "You're more famous than you realize, Admiral."

"I am fully aware of that, I assure you." Schreiber continued, carefully pocketing the papers. This was...he needed to let Bismarck know, so she could tell the others. Perhaps he would see Blücher and warn her as well. "In any case, I should probably prepare. Are all the other Captains aware of this?"

"They were informed before I came to see you, sir." The younger man bowed his head slightly, his cap covering his eyes.

Schreiber found it hard to care, "Good...good. I do intend to return, as soon as I am able."

Though, as he left the Captain behind, the time-traveler could only reflect that 'soon' may not be what it seemed. He knew that no one who would betray him knew his secrets. Or of Bismarck, Blücher and the rest. He could only assume that the Party wanted him back, since he was the most successful commander they had. That had to be the reason.

Why else would they want him to talk to an impossible girl?

Still not horribly long, but I'm having to hammer my muse into cooperating on some level >.>

At any rate, no, I did not forget about Turbine. I already said that, but it bears repeating. Fun times ahead for everyone involved. I long ago decided that around chapter 50 would be when things came to a head for both Thompson and Schreiber, and this is what we get. Across the Atlantic, a time traveler revealed.

In Germany, ship girls are more than just a rumor from Pearl now.

Also, since Thompson needs to recover from his wounds, we'll be in Germany for the next little bit again. It won't just be politicking, but that will be a lot of what Schreiber is doing.

Hopefully the chapter at least works out well enough. Not entirely satisfied with it, myself <.<

Is she back?!!! Could it possibly be Turbine?!!!

Edit: side note can the Queens corgis all be MTBs?

Last edited:
Oh boy. Knowing the Nazis and their love of occultism and mysticism, they're going to be immediately asking Schreiber if they can replicate something like this. It can't be weirder than using dowsers to find British battleships or Mussolini*.

I--I won't worry you with my fears, sir. Suffice to say, I fully comprehend what we are doing now. These men are not worthy of Germany. They are not worth saving. Men who would stand over a child like, like...they aren't worth it. If we are to save Germany, we must cut this darkness out. There can be no compromise. The Germany I remember must return.

You understand that, don't you, sir? That is why you brought me here. Why we all are doing our best. We just need to--

...apologies, I hear men rustling around nearby. I will send another letter as soon as I am able to.
Nitpick, but letters really shouldn't read like dialogue and this section just screams dialogue.

*Yes, the Nazis tried both.

I find it funny that of the various powers in the war, the Italians are the second ones to make the breakthrough of getting a full-on shipgirl. Fate gotta throw 'em a bone somehow.

Oh shit, Oh shit, Oh shit, oh shit.

not good, not good at all!

That young girl, That young impossible girl. It has to be little Turbine!!! It has to be!!!

Her chief engineer did it! He actually did it and managed to summon her! and while that's indeed sweet.

but that sweetness is cast aside because of the fact that the Nazis now know about her. Which means there's a very high probability that they'll end up learning more about ship girls and then they'll attempt to summon some!

Dis is bad, veyr bad, for very bvious reasons but there's another more insidous one. What if Hitler's government in their attempt to call back their lost warships to continiue the war instead end up kicking open the floodgates for the Abyssals? :o:o:o:o:o

That'll be bad for Everyone involved.

But also, another reason why this is bad, is that those damned Nazi's! What are those damned bastards putting into Turbine's head! I really really really hope she had spent enough time ith her Chief Engineer to pick up a hopefully good set of morals.

The very thought of someone as Evil as Hitler or Himmler corrupting the mind of a innocent Destroyer like Turbine with their hateful, wrong, Ideology fills me with great rage and unparalleled fear .

Admiral Gustav Schreiber. Your task, you're damn mission, is to make sure that Italian Destroyer is not corrupted into believing the hateful Spiel that comes from that damned mustached madman's mouth!!!!

Why else would they want him to talk to an impossible girl?

Actually Schreiber, with the spooky stuff going on with Himmler's plants, Nazi Beliefs in the Occult and Mystical, and the fact that such strange happenings are only happening to Himmler's plants on ships in your command. They very well might expect that you know more about what's going on then you're telling them. Which if that is the case... Not good. Not Good at all. If you don't proceed with supreme caution, even more caution than you have already demonstrated... They'll try to make you talk. Even if their reasons would be completely irrational, even by their standards, because when one is confronted with the irrational... Suddenly the thoughts you had once deemed completely irrational... don't seem so irrational anymore....

Last edited:
Is she back?!!! Could it possibly be Turbine?!!!

Edit: side note can the Queens corgis all be MTBs?

Oh boy. Knowing the Nazis and their love of occultism and mysticism, they're going to be immediately asking Schreiber if they can replicate something like this. It can't be weirder than using dowsers to find British battleships or Mussolini*.

If that's the case and if that piece of intelligence reaches Roosevelt, perhaps this might be more than enough of a reason to go into the development of shipgirl summoning just like how the threat of a Nazi nuclear program spurred America to do the same.

Don't know if this is off topic, but how the heck are the religious organizations going to explain the existence of ship girls?

Personally, I'd just insert references to them in all the religious texts of the world, and leave it ambiguous which one was the "correct" one. Granted, that's just my personal preference.

Don't know if this is off topic, but how the heck are the religious organizations going to explain the existence of ship girls?

Personally, I'd just insert references to them in all the religious texts of the world, and leave it ambiguous which one was the "correct" one. Granted, that's just my personal preference.

That's something that I think we aren't going to be touching. That's a whole can of forbidden tuna right there

Brah, you don't put new stuff into religious texts. That's not how it works. Also, Christianity won't have any issues with them, because shipgirls appear to have human souls, which means that salvation would work the same for them as for humans.

I'm done now.

I'm still waiting for this snippet to occur:

"So, you want the crew to refer to me as male. Tell me, Herr Kapitan, do I look like a male to you?"
"...I must be seeing things...too much time in Norway...yes, that's it."

:lol

I could see many religions looking at the Abyssal War being defined as a war between the Holy and Fallen Angels.

I imagine that the religious organizations will compare the ship girls to whatever being that appear in their religion and refer them as whatever fits the best. Since the canon is rather sparse when it comes to explaining what ship girls and abyssals specifically are, fanon basically just fill in the blanks with "Magical Ship Girl Bullshit".

Obviously since Kantai Collection was made by the Japanese, they'll be considered kami's like how that Japanese pilot saw Utah and exclaimed that. Even more so with the Japanese kanmusu's who wear Shinto shrine maiden outfit. This can also branch out to every polytheistic religion as they can be either seen as goddesses or servants to such deities.

As for the Abrahamic religions (With more emphasis on Christianity since the main character and main setting being in America and Christianity is the predominant religion there. Plus I'm more familiar with Christianity than the two others.), there is already something called the hierarchy of angels where there are different levels or ranks of angels. Perhaps somewhere in this system, the ship girls are some form of angel or spirit that were sent to earth by God in order to fight the Demonic Abyssals. Some might even see this as a sign for the end of times depending on which of the three religion's eschatology you look into. Although there are no reference to female angels which might bunk this idea, it still stands as a very interesting topic that can create some very interesting fanlore.

Another explanation might be that the ship girls and are offspring of angels or fallen angels. There are enough verses in the bible that have them interact with humans. Like how Jacob wrestled with an angel or how there were times where angels were entertained as guests without the host knowing that they were angels. With that in mind, we can also infer that fallen angels could do something similar if not the same. There are verses that say that some of these fallen angels have done it with the daughters of man to produce offspring in the form of the Nephilims. If that's the case, there might be a possibility that they might have had done the same? Most likely a stretch into blasphemy added to the fact that the Nephilims were giants but a possible avenue to explore.

As for the abyssals? Perhaps they were the offspring of angels swayed towards the path of evil by the devil. Since in fanon, possibly canon since I'm not sure if it really touch upon it, abyssals are ship girls that came out wrong because of their hatred of humanity due to betrayal or whatever the author believes the rational is. All I'm thinking from that is a quote by Andrew Klavan which is, "Anger is the devil's cocaine." Yet another stretch in logic but sounds good to me.

Honestly this is reminding me of a Q&A with Pastor John MacArthur who talks about this better than I can. Maybe an interesting reference or starting point to when someone wants to put more details to how the first interaction between ship girls and people will be.

Yeah, but in an island the size of Wake is actually harder for a naval bombardment not to hit something important than hitting it, especially if they don't care about supporting troops in the first place.

I think you mean "Assuming the shells actually hit the island", because if they're not getting EXTREMELY close to bombard, well, Wake is skeletal enough in its island shape that shooting into the bay or falling short can be from random swaying of the ship with the waves!
Unless they stand end-on to the relatively straight portions so their targeting ellipse is over as much land as possible.

Back