Same plan as DMWXI, but I am not too interested in pursuing blacksmithing as we already have our uncle as a smith. Tossed the dice to Contested Movement instead to try and complete that this turn.

Everyone picks up at least a little blacksmithing. Like, we were told that random people often have a 2 or so. Whether we should pick up more than that is a different question, but we should definitely at least grab the basics.

Also, the resident blacksmith is our older brother, not our uncle, for the record.

They'd call whoever got hit by it a wimp if it wasn't obviously a weapon. Hitting people with things that weren't weapons was a way of placing nid on them. Of course, this wouldn't last forever as other people would copy your weapon (or try to) and it would soon be known as a weapon.
What sort of skill level would we need in both Smithing and Standstill to do something like a kusarigama with an axe instead of a sickle blade? Or just make a flail?

What sort of skill level would we need in both Smithing and Standstill to do something like a kusarigama with an axe instead of a sickle blade? Or just make a flail?
Well, you can use Standstill 'with things' right now, if you wanted to. Just need to develop the trick for it.

All you'd need is a high enough roll and something to base the idea off of.

Everyone picks up at least a little blacksmithing. Like, we were told that random people often have a 2 or so. Whether we should pick up more than that is a different question, but we should definitely at least grab the basics.

Also, the resident blacksmith is our older brother, not our uncle, for the record.
Ok, but I am still not interested in it right now and would rather spend it on trying to finish Contested Movement.

Well. The training and getting in good with Sten both seem to have worked out well, and maybe Horra isn't as big a threat in a straight fight as we were afraid...on the other hand he definitely is an expert at the sneaky stuff, so we need to be very worried about that. But anyway, here's my current plan:

[X] Plan The Meteor Expedition
-[X] (Personal) Abjorn came by, asking if you wanted to go walking with him.
-[X] (Personal) Gabriel, Jerasmus, and, apparently, Steinarr all know a language that you don't and it's called 'English'. It's time to learn it.
-[X] (Exploration) Go on a walk through...
--[X] The hills!
---[X] (Optional) Towards where the flaming thing landed. Maybe there's something you missed?
---[X] Take our friends with us along with Sten (who we tell we found something we need a smith to look at)

Training:
-[X] (Steinarr's Training) Ask Steinarr to teach you a trick/some tricks (Write in)
--[X] Train Reinforce-Shield Trick 1d6
--[X] Train Power-Chop Trick 1d6
-[X] (Blackhand's Training) Try to develop old/train new hugareida tricks (Write in)
--[X] Train Contested Movement 1d6
-[X] (Training) Hamr (15 successes to rank up)
--[X] Train Hamr Itself 1d6
-[X] (Training) Hugr (9 successes to rank up)
--[X] Train Hugr Itself 5d6
--[X] Train Blacksmithing 1d6
-[X] (Training) Fylgja (7 success to rank up)
--[X] Train Fylgja Itself 1d6

Orthstirr:
-[X] (Orthstirr Usage)
--[X] 4 Hamr
--[X] 5 Hugr
--[X] 2 Fylgja
--[X] 1 Blacksmithing
--[X] 2 Silver-Tongue
--[X] 7 free for tricks

For actions, we definitely want to spend time with Abjorn and go look at the meteor with someone who might know what to do with it. I'm less sure what we should do for our third action, but learning English (and more about the Christians) does seem pretty relevant.

For training, I still think we should raise Hugr now more than Hugr skills until it hits 6, but feel sort of obligated to also start work on blacksmithing given the trait, and think we should continue progress on the tricks we're working on and our other basic stats.
For the third action:
We could do smithing. Create things we can sell for money until Halla is old enoughto go raiding. Also would give chances for the boon.
Or we could spend time with Drifa, start first fighting lessons for her. (Or tell stories about our fights so far)

Ok, but I am still not interested in it right now and would rather spend it on trying to finish Contested Movement.

Fair enough, just clarifying that we definitely should pick it up some time no matter what.

For the third action:
We could do smithing. Create things we can sell for money until Halla is old enoughto go raiding. Also would give chances for the boon.
Or we could spend time with Drifa, start first fighting lessons for her. (Or tell stories about our fights so far)

I think we should wait until we have slightly higher skills to start spending actions making stuff. Drifa's a definite idea, but I do think picking up English is good...maybe next turn, though she may be too young for actual training to be meaningful, I think she's only 4 or so based on the timeline?

Last edited:
[x] Plan The Meteor Expedition
- [x] (Personal) Abjorn came by, asking if you wanted to go walking with him.
- [x] (Personal) Gabriel, Jerasmus, and, apparently, Steinarr all know a language that you don't and it's called 'English'. It's time to learn it.
- [x] (Exploration) Go on a walk through...
-- [x] The hills!
--- [x] (Optional) Towards where the flaming thing landed. Maybe there's something you missed?
--- [x] Take our friends with us along with Sten (who we tell we found something we need a smith to look at)
- [x] (Steinarr's Training) Ask Steinarr to teach you a trick/some tricks (Write in)
-- [x] Train Reinforce-Shield Trick 1d6
-- [x] Train Power-Chop Trick 1d6
- [x] (Blackhand's Training) Try to develop old/train new hugareida tricks (Write in)
-- [x] Train Contested Movement 1d6
- [x] (Training) Hamr (15 successes to rank up)
-- [x] Train Hamr Itself 1d6
- [x] (Training) Hugr (9 successes to rank up)
-- [x] Train Hugr Itself 5d6
-- [x] Train Blacksmithing 1d6
- [x] (Training) Fylgja (7 success to rank up)
-- [x] Train Fylgja Itself 1d6
- [x] (Orthstirr Usage)
-- [x] 4 Hamr
-- [x] 5 Hugr
-- [x] 2 Fylgja
-- [x] 1 Blacksmithing
-- [x] 2 Silver-Tongue
-- [x] 7 free for tricks

What would people think about forging a weapon specifically to work with Standstill? I could see a lot of use for a chain that could wrap around an enemy's weapon, shield or arm and then be frozen. Maybe our knight friends could introduce us to flails?

Heck, if we get good enough with Standstill, we could probably make an Ivy-style chain-sword and use Standstill to control it by freezing and unfreezing specific parts.

They'd call whoever got hit by it a wimp if it wasn't obviously a weapon. Hitting people with things that weren't weapons was a way of placing nid on them. Of course, this wouldn't last forever as other people would copy your weapon (or try to) and it would soon be known as a weapon.
So... We just need to git gud with ropes, huh?
You can never go wrong with more rope!
And maybe learn how to make knots.... Not sure if those fall under needlebinding?

.....oh Cmon! We know almost nothing about how to get stuff done around the house!
Nor even a trick that not battle oriented, and Hone IS used for battle mostly, what with it being the dividing line between farmer and warrior.
Edit: I didn't count silver and barb, because we didn't learnt them.

[X] Plan The Meteor Expedition

I don't mind, but seriously, we have almost no skull outside of battle, and blacksmithing is good and all, but we will need to get a hold on our money as well

[X] Plan The Meteor Expedition + Management
-[X] (Personal) Abjorn came by, asking if you wanted to go walking with him.
-[X] (Personal) Gabriel, Jerasmus, and, apparently, Steinarr all know a language that you don't and it's called 'English'. It's time to learn it.
-[X] (Exploration) Go on a walk through...
--[X] The hills!
---[X] (Optional) Towards where the flaming thing landed. Maybe there's something you missed?
---[X] Take our friends with us along with Sten (who we tell we found something we need a smith to look at)
-[X] (Steinarr's Training) Ask Steinarr to teach you a trick/some tricks (Write in)
--[X] Train Reinforce-Shield Trick 1d6
--[X] Train Power-Chop Trick 1d6
--[X] Train Hefty-Halter-Chop Trick 1d6
--[X] Ask about that Freedfire kenning of his, that Drifa mentioned
-[X] (Blackhand's Training) Try to develop old/train new hugareida tricks (Write in)
--[X] Train Contested Movement 1d6
--[X] Ask him about the witch. It has been some time since we last saw her and our parting wasn't on the best of terms, but we did make a deal.
-[X] (Training) Hamr (15 successes to rank up)
--[X] Train Hamr Itself 1d6
-[X] (Training) Hugr (9 successes to rank up)
--[X] Train Hugr Itself 3d6
--[X] Train Blacksmithing 1d6
--[X] Train Management 1d6
-[X] (Training) Fylgja (7 success to rank up)
--[X] Train Fylgja Itself 1d6
-[X] (Orthstirr Usage)
--[X] 4 Hamr
--[X] 5 Hugr
--[X] 2 Fylgja
--[X] 1 Blacksmithing
--[X] 2 Silver-Tongue
--[X] 7 free for tricks

As I said, I'm fine with the plan, over all, but I added management to training as the greatest change, lowering Huge training for it by 1 dice.
Also added two talking options, 1 for Steinar about his kenning Drifa mentioned and another to Hallr about how to proceed with the witch, because we made a deal with her.

Last edited:
For the record, I absolutely intend to train in Management, as a priority even, but right now raising Hugr is a better investment than raising the 8 or so Hugr skills we want all individually...Blacksmithing is getting a die purely because it would be weird not to after the smith-related events of last turn.

Back