Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

The RN didn't have the money to do a better job than they did in many ways.
That may be true, but it won't stop it from causing anger. Think about Warspite, with a fucking concrete plug stuck in her, crippled for the rest of her life because they couldn't be arsed to repair her properly. There's a reason why a lot of stories have the RN Kanmusu either still resentful, or having basically gotten concessions from the government that makes Treasury their bitch.

Both the interwar and post WWII issues with the RN weren't exactly the Treasury's fault. The Admiralty did a masterful job of shifting the blame from some of their questionable policies to the Treasury's frugality. Interwar the RN had serious bureaucratic inertia of their own as well as the big thing: They were still trying to figure out how to prevent a Jutland 2 Booming Boogaloo from happening. Post war, they decided that the budgetary resources were best spent on weapons that emerged from the war, ie, aircraft carriers, missiles and nuclear weapons. Battleships were manpower sinks that no longer had a mission in the new world of the RN. And then the RAF of course cashed in all their Battle of Britain goodwill to corner as much budget as they could.

Were their native Japanese people going against Imperial Japan like in Germany?
If you mean junior officers keeping tabs on the higher-ups, probably not. From the first day in Basic Training or the Academy, incoming personnel were taught to obey anything someone with more rank than them said. Ship captains were pretty much considered just below living gods.

Never underestimate the damage a well intentioned idiot can do.

I swear, I saw this exact phrase appear in a Engineer's quick Guide book. Guide on what exactly, I can't quite remember, but I do think it was related to Electrical systems.

Anyways, I think that phrase should adorn the wall of Every Chief Engineer's office. Whether poster or simple sign,

That may be true, but it won't stop it from causing anger. Think about Warspite, with a fucking concrete plug stuck in her, crippled for the rest of her life because they couldn't be arsed to repair her properly. There's a reason why a lot of stories have the RN Kanmusu either still resentful, or having basically gotten concessions from the government that makes Treasury their bitch.

In the Navy's defense, Warspite's exceedingly lucky she was even still seaworthy enough to warrant a concrete plug. More durable ships than her have been hit by the same munitions and not made it back to port, which Warspite would be well aware of given the mission that gave her that wound ended in the naval equivalent of watching the man next to you get blown apart by an artillery shell to the gut, then taking an artillery shell to the gut yourself and living through it.

I mean, yes you're right a lot of stories have the RN shipgirls a bit miffed at the whole scrapping thing, but that never made sense to me. It's not like the practice of scraping entire navys worth of ships due to budget constraints or obsolescence would be something new to British shipgirls. Many of the WWI vintage ships would remember the mass scrapping of basically the entire fleet of pre-dreadnoughts after WWI. Probably well over a hundred capital ships scrapped because they'd done their part in securing the empire, they were useful for little more than giving target practice to the enemy on a modern battlefield, and keeping them around was going to bankrupt the country. Every post-WWI capital ship on the British side would have known about that save for Vanguard, the Nelrods, and the KGVs. And if you throw in and say that any ship can be a shipgirl? Boy does Victory have the right to say "none of you have any right to be angry over this", given how much she's seen.

The only shipgirls I can think of that really have a right to hold a grudge would be the French ("You guys surrendered, and the English then proceeded to shell us, so fuck you"), the Germans ("The only two things Hitler was right about were das Untermencht and how useless the surface fleet would be against a navy that has as many capital ships as we had ships at all. Also Goering bombed half our Destroyer fleet and probably would have bombed the capital fleet as well given the chance"), the Soviets, but only the capital fleet ("You conscripted our crews into the Army instead of letting them serve gloriously with the Navy"), and of course, the Americans ("you literally dropped nukes on us and our families, and those of us who survived that hell on earth were condemned to die a slow death by radiation poisoning").

The most I could see the British being reasonably pissed about are along the lines of "How did you let my commanding officer ever get past the rank of Ensign" (e.g. Glorious, Prince of Wales), or "Your dumb tradition of strict adherence to the chain of command got me killed (e.g. Renown). But even then, Hood for example has reason to be reasonably upset ("The only reason I died was because you never bothered to even toss a wrench onto my deck and call it a day") but arguably might not be since her revenge comes from her death being a constant source of embarrassment to the Navy ever since.

If you mean junior officers keeping tabs on the higher-ups, probably not. From the first day in Basic Training or the Academy, incoming personnel were taught to obey anything someone with more rank than them said. Ship captains were pretty much considered just below living gods.
For an IJN fleet admiral, you don't really understand how they operated.

They literally put hits on each other.

The only shipgirls I can think of that really have a right to hold a grudge would be the French ("You guys surrendered, and the English then proceeded to shell us, so fuck you"), the Germans ("The only two things Hitler was right about were das Untermencht and how useless the surface fleet would be against a navy that has as many capital ships as we had ships at all. Also Goering bombed half our Destroyer fleet and probably would have bombed the capital fleet as well given the chance"), the Soviets, but only the capital fleet ("You conscripted our crews into the Army instead of letting them serve gloriously with the Navy"), and of course, the Americans ("you literally dropped nukes on us and our families, and those of us who survived that hell on earth were condemned to die a slow death by radiation poisoning").

Do remember that the ships that were SINKEXED at Crossroads were old, obsolete, or both. The only possible outcomes for those ships were the breakers or being sunk as target practice. I'd also add that those ships were, in some cases, so old that they were starting to fail structurally. It's not nice, but most of those ships? They were dying. Being expended as a target sucks, to be certain. But if you're dying anyhow, might as well go out with a bang.

Last edited:
But if you're dying anyhow, might as well go out with a bang.
Especially considering that the data from you going out with a bang (or a whimper, in the case of the ships not annihilated by the second Crossroads test) could prevent other ships from going down with all souls aboard in the future, which seems like a good trade off for a ship that's dying anyways to make.

Think about Warspite, with a fucking concrete plug stuck in her, crippled for the rest of her life because they couldn't be arsed to repair her properly.
Think about Warspite, who got to actually fight to the end of the war, while some of her less damaged contemporaries were used as floating hotels (Malaya, Ramillies), lent to the Soviets as a political gesture (Royal Sovereign) or found a job as stoker training schools (Revenge, Resolution) because nobody could find a job for the old slow ships anymore save bombarding a coast here or there.

Of course they wouldn't repair her properly, the war was ending, there were other candidates for what little shore bombardment was required and she was going to be scrapped soon after the war anyway.

I swear, I saw this exact phrase appear in a Engineer's quick Guide book. Guide on what exactly, I can't quite remember, but I do think it was related to Electrical systems.

Anyways, I think that phrase should adorn the wall of Every Chief Engineer's office. Whether poster or simple sign,

That's probably where I got that from, thought I'm studying to be a chemical engineer.

Forget the poster, it should be painted on the wall in bright neon letters, there are less things that can fail there.

That's probably where I got that from, thought I'm studying to be a chemical engineer.

Forget the poster, it should be painted on the wall in bright neon letters, there are less things that can fail there.

That might not work. I can easily see them walking by it without stopping to read it. They are idiots for a reason you know.

Last edited:
Rules? What's it about? And what's the full name?
Things no longer allowed involving ship girls.(kancolle/kantai collection)

The thread OP is dwennon, but @CV12Hornet writes snippets about select rules that are either inspiring or funny.

Strictly speaking it doesn't have a fixed canon, or it mixes a lot of canons, from Greatest Generation and BelaBatt to really obscure fanfics and even crossovers. A portion of The Rules are related to Space Shipgirls.

IIRC, there is even a shipgirl, an Abyssal version of USS Kentucky called Wreck, as PotUS.

Now, my two cents on the situation; were there therapists in the forties? Because Utah needs help. She may be non-human with a completely different psychology from normal people, but that shouldn't dissuade at least an attempt to provide her with therapy.

There weren't, at least in the context of those whom we classify as therapists today. The major treatment used during the war by the Americans for what we today might classify as PTSD was rest: a week or so of leave to unwind a bit, followed by maybe another week of easy duty if it was possible, and then back into the fight. Aside from that, there really isn't anything available until you have a complete mental break.

One of the reasons for this lack is the fact that one of the cardinal social rules of that time period is that your problems are your problems alone. The ability or inability to cope with life's problems was a barometer of maturity, and asking someone to talk about a problem means you don't consider them mature enough to handle it on their own.

Finally, again, mental health professionals at the time really weren't meant for anything less than a full break. Below that people were expected to handle things on their own, and at the time alcohol was a perfectly acceptable method of handling.

Pretty accurate assessment by @Nicholas. There weren't any licensed counselors at the time. Your options were your unit chaplain (limited training in pastoral counseling, but usually not on par with a modern LPC) or self medication (drinking). Psychiatrists were in limited supply in the military and usually only at stateside medical facilities. Most popular school of thought was psychoanalysis, so good luck trying to figure out an ex-dreadnaught's Id, ego, and superego. She probably stands a better chance with the sky pilot or bartender.

There weren't, at least in the context of those whom we classify as therapists today. The major treatment used during the war by the Americans for what we today might classify as PTSD was rest: a week or so of leave to unwind a bit, followed by maybe another week of easy duty if it was possible, and then back into the fight. Aside from that, there really isn't anything available until you have a complete mental break.

One of the reasons for this lack is the fact that one of the cardinal social rules of that time period is that your problems are your problems alone. The ability or inability to cope with life's problems was a barometer of maturity, and asking someone to talk about a problem means you don't consider them mature enough to handle it on their own.

Finally, again, mental health professionals at the time really weren't meant for anything less than a full break. Below that people were expected to handle things on their own, and at the time alcohol was a perfectly acceptable method of handling.

Huh, I can see the Engineering Staff on the ships quickly getting good at psychoanalysis simply due to trial and error and observation of the machinery on their ships and the spirit...

Back