Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

In a few years that soldier's gonna be real thankful for being taken out of the war the way he was, assuming the butterflies don't change how Barbarossa goes.

@Skywalker_T-65 i have to say im thoroughly enjoying changing destiny abit slow to start but well worth the wait. If this was a complete book or series of books i would buy each new copy and holding the line is good as well, i eagerly await the next installment whenever you are ready.

"Yes, they are." The short Dutchman answered for everyone, staring distastefully at 'Louis'. No love lost there. "Hacke sends her regards. She stayed behind to delay the pursuit."

Louis' smile faded slightly. "I see," he raised a hand to his face, rubbing at his brow. A deep sigh escaped him. "She's just like father told me her commander was. Well, I'm sure she'll be alright."

Right. Louis is clearly Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia - Wikipedia which means that his father would be Crown Prince Wilhelm. That puts an upper bound of about 1900 on Frieda, and obviously she served in WWI. I'm not sure Admiral Scheer or Captain Fuchs were pipe smokers, but I'm thinking she is really SMS Friedrich der Grosse (1911) - Wikipedia. Name fits, and she was Scheer's flagship at Jutland.

The alternative might be one of the ships at Dogger Bank, but nothing really fits there. SMS Blücher was lamed by boiler damage and sunk at Dogger Bank, which allowed Seydlitz, Derfflinger and Moltke to escape, though.

How did she identify him? GeStaPo generally wore plainclothes, I would think it more likely that it was someone from the SD. And that overall, the fear would be the SS, especially its SD branch hunting them. So, yeah, it might be better to substitute SD for Gestapo in the chapter.
Herrn, it's the accusative case.
Right. Louis is clearly Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia - Wikipedia which means that his father would be Crown Prince Wilhelm. That puts an upper bound of about 1900 on Frieda, and obviously she served in WWI. I'm not sure Admiral Scheer or Captain Fuchs were pipe smokers, but I'm thinking she is really SMS Friedrich der Grosse (1911) - Wikipedia. Name fits, and she was Scheer's flagship at Jutland.

The alternative might be one of the ships at Dogger Bank, but nothing really fits there. SMS Blücher was lamed by boiler damage and sunk at Dogger Bank, which allowed Seydlitz, Derfflinger and Moltke to escape, though.
Considering she talks about Franz, I'm reasonably sure she's Franz von Hipper's flagship. Which would be SMS Lützow if I'm not mistasken.

How did she identify him? GeStaPo generally wore plainclothes, I would think it more likely that it was someone from the SD. And that overall, the fear would be the SS, especially its SD branch hunting them. So, yeah, it might be better to substitute SD for Gestapo in the chapter.

Herrn, it's the accusative case.

Considering she talks about Franz, I'm reasonably sure she's Franz von Hipper's flagship. Which would be SMS Lützow if I'm not mistasken.

Admiral Hipper flew his flag in SMS Seydlitz for Dogger Bank, and then switched to SMS Lützow for Jutland. Lützow was not in full commission until March of 1916. So if Hipper is her admiral, then she could be either, although I think that you are right about Lützow, since she was sunk acting as a rearguard for the pre-dreadnoughts at Jutland.

I agree that the SD would be better. Although it is certainly possible that Frieda is not really conversant in the byzantine complexities of the various NSDAP state security agencies. Alternately, she saw the plainclothes man leading the squad of Heer soldiers, and assumed that he was GeStaPo.

Last edited:
I agree that the SD would be better. Although it is certainly possible that Frieda is not really conversant in the byzantine complexities of the various NSDAP state security agencies. Alternately, she saw the plainclothes man leading the squad of Heer soldiers, and assumed that he was GeStaPo.
The GeStaPo seems to have generally operated within Germany and Austria, the occupied territories were more likely to see the SD and that guy would have a uniform and definitely the clout to order Heer grunts around. A plainclothes GeStaPo man? Less likely, while there was the same authority behind it (namely, Himmler), the SD would have an easier time securing cooperation. If only because the SD was visibly part of the SS and thus any SD man was someone you needed to be more careful with.

The most annoying and confusing part is that since '39 both SD and GeStaPo were officially part of the same office, the Main Office of Reich Security, Reichssicherheitshauptamt RSHA.

The Nazis were deliberately byzantine about their police-state organizations, so as to play the various chiefs off of each other and help ensure Hitler's control over them.

I had a feeling we were going to see the Hochseeflotte at some point. Will we get all the Bayern, the Coln, and even the Mackenson-class ships? Ships that were launched but never finished. After all, the elder Washington is around. Kind of.

Admiral Hipper flew his flag in SMS Seydlitz for Dogger Bank, and then switched to SMS Lützow for Jutland. Lützow was not in full commission until March of 1916. So if Hipper is her admiral, then she could be either, although I think that you are right about Lützow, since she was sunk acting as a rearguard for the pre-dreadnoughts at Jutland..
SMS Seydlitz was named after Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz. The lady calls herself Frieda. Coincidence?

So many jokes about that Heer soldier my god

Also:

While I do admittedly need to work on my German ( >.> ) the intention (as per Discord) was really to have her misidentify things. It won't come up quite yet, but Frieda isn't entirely up to date on the inner-workings of the Nazi state. She got SD and Gestapo mixed up. You can also add in the fact she was scared witless for half of the chapter (and spitting mad the rest) so she wasn't entirely thinking straight either.

This is important in this case, because I've taken to going all-in on the 'writing from the character's perspective' thing. If I wrote more omniscient I probably would have said SD or had something along the lines of 'what Frieda assumed was Gestapo, but was actually SD' somewhere in there. Since I'm choosing to write more tightly from the perspective of the character-

for better or worse <.<

-it tends to show up in cases involving what they see and think. Unreliable narrator, by virtue of the character being misinformed instead of an attempt to swindle the readers. That was the intention at least.

All of this is to say that I knew what I was doing with the Gestapo thing. But I'm always happy to have someone who knows the situation from a native perspective who can poke at things if I really do make a mistake. Lord knows I can do that as well as anyone :V

(sidelong glance at Japan and Chaos)

And now, to get some food in my system.

The Nazis were deliberately byzantine about their police-state organizations, so as to play the various chiefs off of each other and help ensure Hitler's control over them.

I had a feeling we were going to see the Hochseeflotte at some point. Will we get all the Bayern, the Coln, and even the Mackenson-class ships? Ships that were launched but never finished. After all, the elder Washington is around. Kind of.

The Nazis really liked creating ant-hills for all their piss-ants to piss from that's for certain.

As for the elder Washington, right now she's more haunting New York's nightmares and sitting on the bottom off the Virginia Cape, seething. Doubt she'll come back really, exception made if Sky needs a
Fast Standard Princess
of course. :evil:

While I do admittedly need to work on my German ( >.> ) the intention (as per Discord) was really to have her misidentify things. It won't come up quite yet, but Frieda isn't entirely up to date on the inner-workings of the Nazi state. She got SD and Gestapo mixed up. You can also add in the fact she was scared witless for half of the chapter (and spitting mad the rest) so she wasn't entirely thinking straight either.

This is important in this case, because I've taken to going all-in on the 'writing from the character's perspective' thing. If I wrote more omniscient I probably would have said SD or had something along the lines of 'what Frieda assumed was Gestapo, but was actually SD' somewhere in there. Since I'm choosing to write more tightly from the perspective of the character-
The GeStaPo seems to have generally operated within Germany and Austria, the occupied territories were more likely to see the SD and that guy would have a uniform and definitely the clout to order Heer grunts around. A plainclothes GeStaPo man? Less likely, while there was the same authority behind it (namely, Himmler), the SD would have an easier time securing cooperation. If only because the SD was visibly part of the SS and thus any SD man was someone you needed to be more careful with.

The most annoying and confusing part is that since '39 both SD and GeStaPo were officially part of the same office, the Main Office of Reich Security, Reichssicherheitshauptamt RSHA.

Exactly. She probably got a sketch briefing on the RSHA as 'people call them the GeStaPo and they wear the SS uniforms', so was unaware that the guy she shot worked for an office down the hall from the actual Gestapo in the local RSHA offices. It is an understandable mistake to make, the more so since Frieda is still coming to terms with all the changes to Germany since 1918, not to mention being a girl versus a battlecruiser.

The Gestapo was Amt IV (Department 4) of the RSHA; the SD was Amt III (executive decisions) or Amt VI (Intelligence-gathering). So there's grounds for lots of confusion and bureaucratic infighting anyway as the two branches butted heads over jurisdiction (FWIW the SD had jurisdiction over the Jews) and this really was the type of thing that people tried to avoid looking into because of reasons of health. It is not like Himmler and Heydrich went out of their way to publish organizational charts of this bureaucratic muddle, after all.

Just to muddle the waters even further by this time in 1941, the SS was wearing a variant on the field gray that the Heer was wearing (the all black uniforms had been retired by 1940), and if this individual was an actual member of the GeStaPo, policy would have dictated that he wear the SS uniform 'on the job'. So she would see the Heer soldiers led by a NCO/officer in slightly different uniform and reacted accordingly. Here's an example of the uniform, notice the SD diamond on the sleeve: Uniforms and insignia of the Schutzstaffel - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Back