Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

So I've recently found and finished reading this story, having previously tried and bounced off the weak start. Once it gets going, it's an excellent story and the multiple perspectives give it a whole lot of weight; you've got characters you get people to care about on every side (IJN aside) and a pervasive sense of dread that, once the shooting starts, only a few of them are going to be left standing by the end of it. It's tense, it's fascinating, it's well researched and it leverages the setting to great effect... and it's also entirely not the first half of the story.

To be bluntly honest, the weakest side of this fic is the USN side, and Thompson in particular, which is rather awkward given how much of a focus is placed upon them. The entire USN plot, from the first threadmark up to up about 30-odd, is basically waiting for time to pass so they can be relevant (a matter not helped by lack of sign-posting on the date; we get a better sense of time progression from the European snippets because they can act as 'you are here' signposts on the timeline, so to speak) and Thompson, to be painfully honest, is kind of... bland as all hell, despite attempts otherwise, owing to a variety of factors.

Firstly, a disclaimer: this criticism is heavily weighted towards the start of the fic. Where things are now, and especially post-Pearl Harbour, the USN side of things works. It's the up until that point part that bears the brunt of these problems I'm going to address. Equally, let me state that despite how negative some of this may seem, I am genuinely interested in this story and am excited to see where it's going. Hell, I wouldn't be putting the time in to write all this if I didn't care.

Righto. Flaws, Admiral Thompson and the first 'half' of the USN segments up until about the point Roosevelt gets on board. The majority of it is just one big pacing issue (it really shouldn't have taken ~30 threadmarks to get to that point), but there are some specific points I'd like to pull out and address.

Consider the plotlines winding around Thompson. You have:
Risk of discovery, loss of commission and getting thrown into the loony bin
Romantic subplot with Saratoga and Arizona
Desire to save as many American ships as possible and limit the early-Pacific-War losses.
Conflicting desire regarding the Japanese ships, whom he knows personally, and will inevitably have to fight post-Pearl
Modern-era person dumped into 1940s-era America, with the technological and societal mishaps that entails
(Iowa, Enterprise et al essentially have their own little subplots running independent of Thompson, so we'll aside those for now)

The risk of discovery stake lacks teeth, because it's something that's blatantly not going to happen. The story would fall apart if it did. If you lessened the focus on Thompson such that he was the 'USN viewpoint character' rather than the 'main' character, you might have had better luck with it; if you have an ensemble cast, the loss of one is survivable and thus a threat that carries narrative weight. As it stands though, losing Thompson halfway through the story before he even gets to do anything isn't something that could be safely pulled off... though the idea of his superiors trying, only for Saratoga to assume direct control and sail off with him into the great blue yonder is an amusing one (it'd even give them a reason to interact with the European cast!)

Speaking of Sister Sara... yeah. The love triangle subplot with Arizona really doesn't work, because the main romantic plot with Saratoga is so heavily telegraphed Guglielmo Marconi could be heard muttering about it shortly after he'd invented the damn thing. Worse still, Arizona really has very little to do beyond pine innocently and sit around in harbour; she makes her appearances because she's famous but otherwise there's... really nothing much there? 99% of her screen time and decisions revolve around Thompson. She has no shown goals or personality quirks outside of her interest in him over her other Admiral... you see the problem here? She doesn't really seem to try to improve her lot in an attempt to survive Pearl, respond to the knowledge she will be sunk in a surprise attack and become a national memorial and so on. There's some lip service to the idea of doing that every once in a while, but nothing Arizona appears to act upon beyond 'must help Admiral Thompson so he can save us all'. Partially this is a symptom of the ship spirits' lack of agency in general, and come Pearl of course she's finally doing stuff and interacting with her crew and so on, but up until that point she's pretty much sitting around in harbour, spinning her proverbial wheels and going 'kya Admiral kya' in a gratingly obvious fashion, all of which the reader knows to be completely meaningless considering she hasn't a shot in hell anyway (it isn't until chapter 38 Thompson even admits he should probably do something about that, and this is a person who has previously worked with Kongou). You've managed to side-step the issue with Pearl and Kidd and members of her crew she now interacts with; she's in a good place currently but up until then she was basically a cardboard cutout flapping in the wind.

Saratoga's subplot, again, is so telegraphed there basically wasn't any doubt where it was going, making it feel less like gradual character development - as I'm assuming was intended - and more a matter of waiting for the author to finally get on with it. She suffers from a similar monofocus on Thompson as Arizona; when we see from her perspective, it's always about him, and helping him, and him in general until she feels less an aircraft carrier and more the 1940's first orbital satellite. Again, it's a lack of anything for her to really do beyond contacting the others; we don't see her interacting with any of the other members of her crew, try taking control of parts of her hull and figuring out the things she can do from her spirit form to help everyone survive the war. Hell, come to think of it, are any of Saratoga's crew even named beyond her pilots? Who is her Captain? Who is her XO or Chief Engineer? There is literally a boat's worth of people you could have Sara interact with to flesh her out more and the lack is greatly detrimental. Yes there are the other ship girls she coordinates with, but one of the best things you can do to shed light on someone's character is to show how they interact with people of as many different stripes as possible. More scenes similar to her and the dockworkers and less scenes re-establishing she's carrying a torch as if we're supposed to be perpetually paranoid she's dropped it behind the sofa or something.

Thompson's desire to save as many WWII shipgirls as possible and his focus on doing it for the girls gives him a strong and dangerous whiff of Generic Harem Anime Protagonist Syndrome, not helped by Arizona and Saratoga fawning over him and doing little else. It's also half implemented. It's stated several times he's served with the Japanese shipgirls in the future and knows them quite well, but we never really... see any of that, Thompson never has any real conflict over how reinforcing the shipgirls of one side involves inevitably sacrificing the other; how it's essentially an impossible situation. A sentence will pop up occasionally acknowledging the issue exists, but he never makes any attempts to contact the IJN girls, or plan around IJN ship losses, and the story too has only just recently added IJN snippets to the multiple perspectives at play.

I mentioned at the beginning that the multiple perspectives on every side is one of the story's strengths, where knowing that these characters we've come to know and care about in the Italian, French, British and German navies are inevitably going to come into conflict with each other, and knowing not all of them are going to walk out of it afterwards, is an excellent means of building and sustaining dramatic tension and keeping the reader's interest? You could have been doing this with the IJN and USN fleet characters so much earlier but didn't, and it's been one big wasted opportunity. Being corrected now, granted, but you could have been building up to it; the attack on Pearl Harbour was the 'Point of No Return', the big build up the USN side of the story was revolving around, but it seemed to almost fall to the wayside in the face of the 'convince the Navy shipgirls exist' plot, which was an interesting ball to see rolling but its inevitable trajectory was never in doubt. We never see any memories of Thompson working with the JMSDF kanmusu or any sense of the camaraderie they may or may not have had; we get told it existed every now and again but never get to see it or get any sense of it; who he got along with and who he perhaps didn't; who he respected and who he wouldn't want to see sunk but knows he will have to to see the end of Imperial Japan and preserve the USN girls. This actually applies double for said USN girls too; given one of the story's angles is to see the USN ship girls before the war happens and contrast their personalities pre-War to who they will be... we never get to see the people they would have been OTL. We don't know who they were. Who was Future!Saratoga and what was she like? Who was Future!Arizona and the Grey Ghost and what did they think of their legacies? You describe them a few times when Thompson first meets them and is surprised by how different they are... but as the reader, we can't see it, because you never show it. We don't know the USN shipgirls as they would be OTL. We know the JMSDF kanmusu via Kancolle, and you could have leveraged the same concept a lot more effectively with them but again, we see no IJN snippets until the moment of the Pearl Harbour attack.

The other half of the 'save as much of the USN' equation - the tactical and doctrinal changes and watching Thompson bash his head into the politics surrounding the CV/BB debate - works well, is legitimately interesting to read about, and helps prop up Thompson by having him do actual Admiralling things. That bit's handled fine.

Also helping to prop up Thompson is the 'modern person with modern sensibilities dropped into the 40s' angle, with all the institutional racism and sexism that implies. Scenes handling that - like meeting that guy in a restaurant on Honolulu way back when - work and help make him feel more believable, like when he's meeting the SecNav in the days before the Pentagon existed and everything is being handled by runners. Touches like these help ground him as a character and give him more definition. That said... the complaints I had about Saratoga not interacting with her crew apply just as much to Thompson; what does he think of his crew? What does his crew think of him? Are they suspicious? Think he's a promising CV Admiral or think he's too young for his post? For the life of me I cannot recall if Saratoga's captain has even had a mentioned name at any point. Given the focus on Saratoga herself it's actually a little conspicuous; we know Utah's crew better than we know hers. We never really see Thompson doing any Admiral-related things; the majority of his screentime is spent holing up in his cabin, chatting with the girls on his Saraphone, and later running around getting the ball rolling on proving the shipgirls' existence. Not typical 1940s USN Admiral activities, I'm hazarding to assume.

Also undercutting the modern sensibilities schtick is... well, how many non-shipgirl women have we thus far seen? You have the Jewish mother we saw recently and that's about it. Every other woman has been a shipgirl, and shipgirls seem to have a consistent theme of always being loyal to their Admirals, who are always male, and doing whatever they tell them to. To cap it all as the cherry on top, the female lead Saratoga is pretty much the epitome of 'Admiral Knows Best', and is his love interest. It gets... awkward, at times, to say the least. By contrast, the other ship-admiral pairs we see (Halsey and Enterprise, Schreiber and Bismark, Repulse and the 10th Doctor etc) are all much more professional and platonic, and they work so much better as believable interpersonal relationships. Halsey connects better to his ship than he does his family, Schreiber and Bismark feel like equals working to undermine the Nazi regime and the British girl/admirals feel like compatriots trying to work together to do their jobs with what limited means they have (when they aren't ribbing each other or being idiots - credit on accurate portrayals of us Brits by the by). The brother-sister dynamic we're told is going on with Arizona and Kidd is promising, and I loved how Utah's breakthrough was with her chief engineer rather than her admirals (what is it with shipgirls and admirals anyway...).

Like, to a certain degree I get it: because of the sexism of the time you essentially can't have that many female characters outside of support staff and the resistance movements, and the nature of ship spirits ensures that Thompson is the only male they can interact with before the insanity spreads, but this early-fic stage where the only person all the USN shipgirls can interact with is Thompson, and he is the Only Man Who Can Help Them Who Is Conveniently Young And Single, and two of them fall in love with him but nobody involved does anything about it in the standard holding pattern of romantic subplots... you see how this can turn people off? I got wary as all hell about that. I have a feeling you're aware of the issue (credit where it's due you at least stuck to the Saratoga pairing and defused the Arizona subplot, and seeing you go on record stating you disliked the waifuism of kancolle is something that made me happy as clams), but... well, it needed to be raised. Thompson seriously skirts the Generic Harem Protagonist Syndrome territory and does him no favours.

Strengths, as noted, were in the non-USN segments, where you have naval battles, injuries, intrigue, plots against evil regimes, betrayals and interesting characters on all sides for whom you fear the worst. Now Pearl has been and gone, these strengths stand to be applied to the USN side of things as well, which honestly will probably go a long way to shoring them up. The implications and possibilities of 'shipgirls early' and summoned ships getting directly involved in the war are a looming and interesting approach I've never seen before in a KC fic. You clearly know your stuff and seeing all the little historical butterflies you've set loose (like Taranto not getting delayed by bad weather) is both amusing and an excellent way to keep readers on their toes, as things become less and less predictable and certain. You even gave the Marine Nationale an inch of screentime! That almost never happens! Hip hip hooray!

In short, despite its early problems, it's got a solid backbone of character interaction and war behind it, and it looks like its finally picking up. To summarise:
* The multiple perspectives are the fic's strongest point, and it needs more of them, especially regarding the IJN
* A lot of the early fic is essentially wheel-spinning, with a lot of repetitive scenes of Thompson in his cabin reviewing incremental updates in the situation with the USN girls that bleeds the momentum dry until the non-USN snippets start showing up and the ball finally starts rolling
* Early-fic for Thompson lacks any worthwhile stakes as a narrative, which equally bleeds any early-fic tension dry
* A lot of the characters tend to monofocus; Arizona and Saratoga over-focus on Thompson, Enterprise has only really interested with Halsey etc, and their own crews and survival efforts go underexplored. Given the large cast size, having major characters interact with more than just their Admirals/Ships could go far.
* The potential mine of drama that is Thompson setting out to sink the JMSDF girls he knew and served with goes completely untapped when we have never seen anything of him working with or worrying about said JMSDF girls, though now we're past Pearl this stands likely to be addressed

...Hoo boy, that was a lot of words, wasn't it?

Edit: 'Admiral Schneider' jesus christ I cannot read today
Edit: BLOODY HELL I CAN'T GET ANYONE'S NAMES TODAY

Last edited:
If I had had been unable to interact with people my entire life, and I suddenly meet someone who can, seems to know me very well and is a time-traveler, I'd probably trust them too.

If I had had been unable to interact with people my entire life, and I suddenly meet someone who can, seems to know me very well and is a time-traveler, I'd probably trust them too.

I know that, I get that, but it doesn't make me wince any less. It's a kind of unavoidable part of the premise and I do not at all believe it was done on purpose, but that and the slow pacing were the number one reasons I bounced off the fic the first few times I tried to read it.

Like, it's as much the setup of it and who Thomas is (ie Mr Conspicuously Young And Single) that makes it troublesome; contrast with Schreiber, who is in the exact same boat (teehee)... but is also older, wearier, has a much more immediate, concrete and harder-to-achieve goal to grapple with, and whose relations with Bismark and Blucher are platonic father/teacherly rather than bearing any romantic subtones.

Past a certain point, you can even argue Thomas' intervention in timeline is unnecessary, given the USA will win the Pacific War handily anyway; dropping in someone who knows about Pearl and carrier warfare is kind of unnecessary and will only end the war in that theatre quicker barring the IJN throwing some spectacular curveballs (like figuring out kanmusu summoning in the 40s, for instance)

I know that, I get that, but it doesn't make me wince any less. It's a kind of unavoidable part of the premise and I do not at all believe it was done on purpose, but that and the slow pacing were the number one reasons I bounced off the fic the first few times I tried to read it.

Like, it's as much the setup of it and who Thomas is (ie Mr Conspicuously Young And Single) that makes it troublesome; contrast with Schreiber, who is in the exact same boat (teehee)... but is also older, wearier, has a much more immediate, concrete and harder-to-achieve goal to grapple with, and whose relations with Bismark and Blucher are platonic father/teacherly rather than bearing any romantic subtones.

Past a certain point, you can even argue Thomas' intervention in timeline is unnecessary, given the USA will win the Pacific War handily anyway; dropping in someone who knows about Pearl and carrier warfare is kind of unnecessary and will only end the war in that theatre quicker barring the IJN throwing some spectacular curveballs (like figuring out kanmusu summoning in the 40s, for instance)
Bisko also came up later in the story, after Sky had time to get in the groove.

Well, at least your objections are well thought, rationally explained without going emotional, and they show how invested you are in the story.

No one would bother to drop such a wall of text if they didn't care about the story.

I'm not sure what Sky will say or do about your points, but it's unlikely he will do anything about it at this point of the story. It's possible that if on re-read, he does notice an important tonal shift in the story progress, he might rewrite portions of the beginning, but I doubt it.

I didn't notice the points you raised, but in my case I'm a big fan of Taylor Varga, which has a lot of slice-of-life scenes and a pace that a lot of people consider glacial. To illustrate the point, TV sits currently at 1.5 million words, and we have yet to reach the point of canon where Taylor does her first sortie and deals with Lung. I think we are around mid March right now.

Chapter 46
Chapter 46
"Captain Thompson...Captain...wake up!"

A deep groan echoed in a ruined room. Soot blackened hands were caught by pristine gloves, pulling a man out of a pile of rubble. James Thompson stood on unsteady feet, his body propped up against a shorter woman at his side. She didn't give any signs of caring about her black uniform, as concerned amber eyes looked up at the young Captain. Thompson gave a weak smile in response, as his own gaze turned out at a flaming harbor and diving planes.

"Ar--are you okay?" The short woman whispered, concern in every one of her actions. Her hands quickly running down the Captain's side, looking for any sign of a wound.

Thompson took those hands, and pulled them away. No time. "I'm fine, Shiratsuyu. What about you? And ever--"

Here, his voice choked up. Not because of the smoke. Because his clouded vision finally cleared and showed a hellscape before him. Fires burned freely, as screaming voices rang in his head. Planes dove onto ships in harbor, bombs falling freely onto burning hulks. What little return fire was limited and completely unable to stop what amounted to a complete surprise attack.

And as a massive explosion rang over the harbor, the Captain clenched his fists so tightly it drew blood.

"How did they...?" Shaking his head violently, Thompson turned to the destroyer by his side. "Shiratsuyu, I need you to find help. I've got to get to Stethem and do something."

"Captain, what if--" Shiratsuyu trailed off, before a much more serious expression crossed her face. She knew her duty. "Don't worry, Captain. The number one destroyer won't fail you!"

The Captain could only smile thinly and nod in response. "Go! And make sure you don't get hit too!"

With a snapped off salute, Shiratsuyu did exactly that. Her lean legs carried her away into the flames raging over the harbor, while Thompson turned and set off with a purpose of his own. As bombs detonated around him and missiles raced into the air, he knew what he needed to do. Defend Yokosuka, even if he was the only one who could do it.

He had to.

Shiratsuyu and the others were fighting. He had to fight as well.

'I can't let them fight alone. They're my friends now. I need to protect them...'

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

With a heavy sigh, Admiral Thompson turned away from the memories. The fires of Pearl no longer spewed smoke, but he could still smell everything. Cali's wreck no longer glowed red, but he could still see Roosevelt reflected in her broken frame as much as memories of Ari. Everything was still so familiar.

He wished it didn't have to be.

And it's only going to get worse as things go. Pearl won't be hit again, but how many times am I going to see a carrier come in here? A destroyer or a cruiser or a battleship? How many times am I going to see Sara get hurt?

And how many times was he going to hurt someone else? He tried so very hard not to think of that, but when his eyes landed on a wrecked Zero or Val, it became...

"Don't think about that, James," Thompson viciously cut that line of thought short. Think not, worry not and he couldn't show that worry. "Now, I need to find Richardson..."

With his feet on solid ground, the Admiral felt almost lost. He had become so used to being on Sara's hull, it almost felt strange to be ashore in Pearl again. The last time...the last time was when he met that nisei man who had reminded him just how different the time was to what he remembered. Now that man was gone. Or hiding, because the majority population of Hawaii was...less than pleased with the Japanese.

He couldn't exactly blame them, either, however much it hurt. These weren't Abyssal attacks, this had been other humans. It was the first time he had experienced an attack like that himself...

"Thompson!"

Silently thankful for the distraction, the Admiral turned his head. Richardson looked significantly better than he had before, with a new pair of spectacles and a neatly pressed uniform. There remained an almost haunted look to his sunken eyes, however, and he walked with a slight limp. The older man hadn't gotten out of the attack unscathed.

"I was just looking for you, sir." Thompson forced a smile onto his face, while he walked over to the other officer. A distraction, and a worry answered. "I've heard that the President worked you over the coals, if you'll forgive the metaphor."

Richardson's own gruff face twisted into a sardonic smile, "You wouldn't be the first to use it. Bull was more eloquent."

Just imagining what Bull Halsey probably said was enough to get the young Admiral's mind on a happier subject. The man was unique, for sure!

"At any rate, I've been relieved of my position as CinCUS." Richardson didn't sound very bitter about that. More resigned than anything, as he rubbed at his brow. Resigned or not, his gaze was sharp when he looked at Thompson. "Apparently word of my 'heroics' during the attack made me a bit of a hero back home, however, so I am still in command of the Pacific Fleet."

"That's a relief to hear, sir." Thompson hid his own feelings well. He had done a lot of that work. Nimitz may or may not have replaced Richardson, and if he had, the man was more than up to the job. However, Thompson knew Richardson personally. The man was willing to work with him and his more unorthodox ideas.

Was it a bit selfish of him? Yes. Could it backfire? Maybe.

"I can't imagine anyone else leading this fleet."

But Thompson didn't want to try reforging a relationship with Nimitz, and he wasn't sure if Kimmel was up to the job. And as far as he knew, it would have been Kimmel replacing Richardson all over again.

Richardson grunted a bit, though an ever so slight smile tugged at his lips. "Perhaps, perhaps not. I won't be doing much of the leading. That will be up to men like you, Thompson, and Bull. Speaking of which...follow me."

With his boots clicking hard on the burnt concrete underfoot, Richardson walked right past Thompson. His inexorable footsteps taking him towards the harbor itself, where salvage crews continued to laboriously work at stabilizing the damaged battleships...and collecting bodies from the sunken wrecks. It was a thankless task and Thompson had been studiously avoiding looking at it.

He didn't have a chance now. Standing beside Richardson with oily water lapping at the pier beneath him, the Admiral had to look. At the wrecked battleships and Sara sitting in the distance. It still felt like a cold fist, clenching around his heart. Squeezing and tearing.

All that work, and it still happened. Again.

There was more than one meaning to that, as the Admiral roughly tugged his uniform coat down. If only to have his hands doing something.

"The fleet won't be ready to really fight for a very long time." Richardson's rough voice, never quite recovered from the orders he shouted that day, rang in Thompson's ears. The older man didn't turn around, instead looking out at Sara. "With the exception of the carriers. Bill is already out there with Enterprise and Lexington. King is going to send over Yorktown soon enough, maybe even Hornet too."

Deeply sighing, Richardson shrugged his shoulders. He turned around and gave Thompson a sharp look, while raising a hand up to grip the younger man's arm tightly.

"We need you out there, sooner than later. Wake held off the first attack, though I admit to not knowing why the Japs didn't use their carriers." He couldn't possibly know how bad the Japanese were about using planes between their airwings, could he? Expert or not. "Regardless, I don't want to risk them taking that island. If we lose Wake, Midway is the only thing between them and Hawaii. Get Saratoga out there and reinforce that garrison, Thompson."

With a wary nod, Thompson asked the obvious question, "And what kind of support will I have?"

"Bill is sending Enterprise to help the operation. Lexington will be a distraction."

So essentially the same as the original plan, only this time with Little E for support and the Japanese carriers hurting badly from the Pearl operation. Thompson still didn't like the odds all that much, but if any crew could do it...

"Understood, sir. I'll start making the preparations right away."

...he knew that Sara could. He just needed to figure out how to get orders to Thach quicker. Maybe...maybe.

I didn't want to do this, but with Utah, is there any point in keeping a secret anymore? Was there ever a point, really, to keeping them from contacting anyone else?

And what about Enterprise? Is she really ready for this? I know what she can do, but what it took to get her to that point...

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Blissfully unaware of what was coming, Enterprise still felt a chill run down her spine every time she looked at her beloved Admiral. The man who was more a father to her than her own designer. The man she had always looked up to and constantly tried to emulate, no matter what.

And right now, he honestly scared her.

"Any sign of Jap planes?" Bull Halsey's normally gruff voice was deathly quiet and flat. There was next to no inflection in his words.

"Not yet, sir."

Halsey nodded sharply, turning his eyes out at the silent waves around the carrier. There had been no contact with any Japanese planes or ships since they had left Pearl. And it wasn't without effort being put in either! Enterprise and her pilots were working themselves spare, trying to find some sign of someone to fight. There just hadn't been anything worth reporting.

It was like the Japanese were gh--ghosts. How ironic.

I'm not her. I'm me.

Enterprise gently set a hand on Halsey's arm, as much to comfort herself as try and get her father's attention. Admiral Thompson's stories of the Grey Ghost made a lot more sense now.

"Admiral...shouldn't we rest a bit? We won't find them like this, w-will we?" Little E didn't flinch when Halsey looked at her, but she did tighten her grip on his arm a bit. The always rough-featured man was clenching his square jaw tightly, and his eyes were narrowed down on the carrier. "I'm sorry! I just think we should rest a little! My pilots are getting tired and I don't want them to be hurt and we probably--"

For the first time since Pearl, Bull Halsey allowed the slightest of smiles to cross his lips. A thin smile, that wasn't very genuine...but a smile nonetheless.

"George...I want you to gather up the squadron leads in the ready room. I think it's about time I told them something." Halsey may have looked at Enterprise, but his words were directed at her Captain.

A very confused George Murray, who nodded slowly, "Will do, Admiral. Is this something I should know about?"

Halsey turned away from an equally confused Little E, and raised an eyebrow at the Captain. "You'll be in there too, George."

"Ah. Right, I'll gather everyone up, Admiral."

With a short nod, the Captain stepped out of the bridge, while Halsey followed. Enterprise trailed behind a short distance, more out of confusion than anything else. Confusion that didn't fade much, when the Admiral stepped into an empty room, and gestured her to follow. Clearly he wanted to talk to her alone before they met her pilots.

And she didn't even know why they were doing that!

"Enterprise. You've been quiet ever since we left." Halsey didn't mince words, as usual, when he turned away from the porthole and looked at her. His expression was a mix of hardness and exasperation that didn't seem to fit him all that well. "You're never quiet, so I want to know why. Now."

The young carrier idly toyed with her blonde hair, grown out to past her shoulders now. She had started wearing it longer on a whim, though now it gave her hands something to do while she nervously looked up at her Admiral and father-figure. "...."

"Enterprise. You damn well know I want to know if something is ever wrong." Bull grumbled, without any real bite. He may not have softened his expression, but he could never yell at this girl. Not seriously. "If you aren't operating well, the entire crew is in danger. And I will not endanger my boys like that."

"I..." Enterprise straightened her shoulders and let her hands drop. She wanted his respect as much as his care for her. Yet, the carrier would never get that if she couldn't stand up for herself. "I'm worried about you, Admiral."

Silence met her statement. Enterprise felt herself shrinking into her shell a little, while Bull Halsey just stared at her. Stared and stared. If she didn't know better, she'd say she broke him or something. But no.

This was just Halsey clearly thinking over what she had said.

"You...you're worried about me." Halsey finally spoke, with more confusion than annoyance in his voice. Genuine confusion. "Why in the hell would you be worried about me?"

Little E shrugged minutely, "You sc--scared me a little, sir. When you said that thing about Japan and the way you've been acting since we left port. I don't like it when you act like that..."

Instead of going silent this time, Halsey just laughed. Deeply and genuinely laughed. To the point he had to lean against the wall, while Enterprise took her turn to stare in silent shock. Was it something she said? Was it something she did? Why was he laughing?! It kind of made her feel like she was an idiot or something!

What was it?

"I forget how young you are, Enterprise." Halsey trailed off, crossing his arms over his chest. The smile on his lips defused that motion, though, and just made it clear he was amused now. "Goddamnit, you didn't understand, did you?"

"Understand what?" Enterprise didn't pout. Not at all. She scowled and crossed her own arms, turning her head away a bit. How could her Admiral laugh at her like that?

Halsey seemed even more amused when he continued, "Because that was all an act. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm angry at the Japs and I hate them for what they did." There was no amusement in those words. Just cold steel. "But everything else is an act. The crew expects me to act like that, so I do. I'm playing it up to keep morale going."

Deflating a bit, Enterprise sat down against the hatch. All her energy had fled away. Halsey didn't make any move to sit beside her, though he did walk over and lean against the wall next to her. His calloused hand came down on Enterprise's head, ruffling her hair underneath her hat. Despite herself, the little girl leaned into the gesture. It was always so soothing when he did that...she couldn't help it. It sent a warm feeling through her entire body.

It didn't match how it felt to just be sitting here with him by her side, though. She truly loved her father, her Admiral. And she wouldn't trade these moments for anything.

"It's not all an act, of course." The old Admiral continued. A soft sigh escaping his lips. "That's just how I am, and you should know that by now, Enterprise. I'll always want to hit hard, hit fast and..."

"Hit often." Enterprise finished the sentence, with a small smile crossing her face beneath red eyes.

Halsey nodded absently, "Exactly. Now, the reason I'm playing it up is because the crew needs something to keep them focused. Most of them are every bit as angry as I am, and anger doesn't focus well in combat. They'll burn themselves out and make mistakes, unless I give them a focus. So I keep them working."

Here, the Admiral stopped patting Enterprise's head and looked directly down on her. She, by contrast, looked up. Red met blue, ship met Admiral. And both of them knew exactly what the other was thinking.

"Though, I admit that I'm not really lying when I say I want the Japs to burn in hell for that attack." Halsey's smile had turned distinctly predatory now. "If we can give them a little kick on that road, by all means, we should do it."

Enterprise nodded, though part of her was still...well. Reluctant. She knew the Japanese would be their allies, in the future, so she couldn't quite go as far as her Admiral.

She hoped she never had a reason to change her mind on that.

"I think I understand a bit more, sir." Still, she smiled at her Admiral. Though one question was still in the back of her mind. "Oh! What are you getting my pilots for? I forgot to ask about that..."

Predatory smile replaced by amused smirk, Halsey pulled his 'daughter' to her feet and pushed her at the hatch. "It's high time we introduced you to the squadron leads. We'll work much more efficiently if everyone can talk to you. Sure as hell we won't get caught with our pants down like Pearl did."

"Whaaaaaaa!"

Enterprise's panicked cry echoed through her hull, sending more than one head on a swivel and giving her engineer nightmares for a month.

Little E still a cute. Not really much different there, perhaps, but it's something the character I have would do. I feel.

(though I am rusty with her and Halsey. Hopefully that worked well enough >.>)

As for the rest, we're back in the Pacific. Not a whole lot of changes yet, but that'll start getting more and more different once ABDA gets into swing and as we move forward. Plus there's the whole Utah thing.

Also, a bit of Thompson background. I was already planning on elaborating on that one since I gave some hints back when he arrived at Pearl.

And on that note...response needed. Since we're still on the same page.

1. Admittedly, there is a bit of a monofocus from Sara and Ari. This was fully intentional. You can see it a bit with Blucher as well, since she has two people she can talk to...but she still latched onto Schreiber first and Tsun-tsuns at Lange. I'm operating on the assumption that the Ship spirits really latch onto the first person they can talk to. Even Utah, the otherwise exception to the rule, didn't much care about who in her crew saw her first. Just that someone did.

2. As for Thompson, him being young and single is explicitly meant to be a deconstruction of the KC 'Admiral who is really too young to be an Admiral' thing. That's why you have him promoted above his experience level. That's why I'm showing he's out of his depth at times. And it's definetly going to come back to bite him later on. Already has, on some level, since King is a problem and you can bet that people other than Halsey and Richardson aren't going to be quite so happy about him.

2.a. Also, most of my Admirals are always proper age. Schreiber here and Takeda in Indy, for instance. Thompson is the odd one out for good reason.

3. Since I consider the multiple perspectives my strength too, that's a good thing to be working :V

4. While I maybe could have paced things better, I treat each story arc as basically a 'book' if this were a novel series. Prologue through 21 (I think it was 21) would have been 'book one'. Getting to the point of setting out for Roosevelt, setting up Thompson and introducing Schreiber...all of that. Then 'book 2' would be the final leadup to Roosevelt and expanding on Schreiber, ending with Pearl. We're now in Arc 3 or 'book 3' if you will.

Relatedly, there seems to be an even divide between those who prefer Europe and those who prefer Pacific. Hm. Either way, I know the Thompson bits aren't the most exciting things until Pearl hits...not much I can do about it, unless I had dropped him directly in Pearl. Schreiber has the 'advantage' of being in Germany in this regard.

5. Differing stakes in the plots and Thompson's goals being ones that are of questionable utility/importance...is very intentional. Schreiber and Thompson are very much meant to be two sides of a coin. Thompson is the young one. Schreiber is the old one. Thompson is the one going entirely off of personal goals and reasons, Schreiber has a higher calling.

Thompson wants to save those close to him.

Schreiber wants to save his nation.

What I like in my plans, even if it makes Thompson look like someone who doesn't quite know what he's doing or why he's doing it... (also intentional) is the fact both of them merge a bit. Thompson has managed to become bigger than his original goals, with Utah and the spread of ship girls/spirits so much earlier than they should have.

Schreiber, meanwhile, has become someone who can't keep his personal feelings out of his mission. Ostensibly, he is working for the greater goal of ending the war early and saving as many German lives as possible. But he lets his personal hatred of the Soviets and what they did to (East) Germany and his family cloud his judgement.

Two sides of the same coin.

(one can argue how well it works, of course >.>

<.<)

6. Thompson and the Japanese. I was already intending to expand on that with flashbacks in this arc, honestly, so hopefully this works. I explicitly wanted to avoid showing any Japanese perspective until Pearl though. So there was the more visceral reaction of seeing Nagato and ZuiZui going into this full bore, and the differences in character. I suppose one can argue how that worked...but I was very specifically avoiding showing anything Japanese at all. I wanted the impact preserved.

Maybe it didn't work as planned...

Either way, it will come up more often now. On this subject, as well, Thompson is trying very hard not to think about it. That's why I made mention of the guilt he feels, but didn't expand on it. He's trying to not think about it, so the writing reflects this.

No, this isn't healthy.

No, this doesn't mean good things when he does have to pull the metaphorical trigger.

Now I need to get this finished up so I can work on other things. I can answer anything else if I need to.​

He didn't have a chance now. Standing beside Richardson with oily water lapping at the pier beneath him, the Admiral had to look. At the wrecked battleships and Sara sitting in the distance. It still felt like a cold fist, clenching around his heart. Squeezing and tearing.

All that work, and it still happened. Again.
Hm. Thompson had to know Pearl would have happened no matter what, but knowing and seeing the destruction firsthand are two different things.

"It's not all an act, of course." The old Admiral continued. A soft sigh escaping his lips. "That's just how I am, and you should know that by now, Enterprise. I'll always want to hit hard, hit fast and..."

"Hit often." Enterprise finished the sentence, with a small smile crossing her face beneath red eyes.

Halsey nodded absently, "Exactly. Now, the reason I'm playing it up is because the crew needs something to keep them focused. Most of them are every bit as angry as I am, and anger doesn't focus well in combat. They'll burn themselves out and make mistakes, unless I give them a focus. So I keep them working."
That makes a great deal of sense. Another reminder that for all his preferences, Admiral Halsey is quite the shrewd individual when the need arises.

Thanks for the update Sky.

Just a quick quibble, Thompson and Richardson knew that Richardson had been removed as CinCUS back in the meeting with Roosevelt, and Richardson was made CinCPAC and King was then CinCAtlantic at that time. Sounds like his heroics saved his job as CinCPAC, but he still got chewed on by Roosevelt for form's sake so that it wouldn't look like General Short getting the whole crap sandwich.

So.... how's Utah now?
we all know she's kinda broken right now....

Yay! More Changing Destiny!

"The fleet won't be ready to really fight for a very long time." Richardson's rough voice, never quite recovered from the orders he shouted that day, rang in Thompson's ears. The older man didn't turn around, instead looking out at Sara. "With the exception of the carriers. Bill is already out there with Enterprise and Lexington. King is going to send over Yorktown soon enough, maybe even Hornet too."

So the status is pretty much as IOTL. Battleship Row needs extensive drydock time, so the carriers and cruisers will be carrying the bulk of the early war as the USN rebuilds.

"We need you out there, sooner than later. Wake held off the first attack, though I admit to not knowing why the Japs didn't use their carriers." He couldn't possibly know how bad the Japanese were about using planes between their airwings, could he? Expert or not. "Regardless, I don't want to risk them taking that island. If we lose Wake, Midway is the only thing between them and Hawaii. Get Saratoga out there and reinforce that garrison, Thompson."

With a wary nod, Thompson asked the obvious question, "And what kind of support will I have?"

"Bill is sending Enterprise to help the operation. Lexington will be a distraction."

So essentially the same as the original plan, only this time with Little E for support and the Japanese carriers hurting badly from the Pearl operation. Thompson still didn't like the odds all that much, but if any crew could do it...

Well assuming the force lineup is as IOTL, it will be E and Sara against CarDiv 2 as Hiryu and Soryu are ordered to support the second Japanese assault on Wake. Both sides have land based air, the Americans have the advantage of knowing that it is probable that part of the Kido Butai will be present. This could wind up as an effecive rerun of Eastern Solomons or Coral Sea.

That said, realistically Wake will fall sooner or later. It is too exposed to the IJN, which right now has greater fleet strength, and the Japanese desperately need it to shore up their defense perimeter in the Central Pacific. Still it has a lot of value, because the longer the Japanese are hung up on Wake and thhe more resources they expend there, the better for the USN. Time and attrition both heavily favor the Americans.

Blissfully unaware of what was coming, Enterprise still felt a chill run down her spine every time she looked at her beloved Admiral. The man who was more a father to her than her own designer. The man she had always looked up to and constantly tried to emulate, no matter what.

And right now, he honestly scared her.

Well another thing that has to be worrying Little E is that she knows that soon her sisters will be joining her to do battle in the Pacific...and she also knows what happened to her sisters. So first battle jitters, worry for her sisters who will soon have to face the Japanese, and worry that she has a high standard to live up to both in the eyes of Sara and Thompson and also the 'ghost' of Big E's deeds IOTL. Little E definitely has to be as nervous as a cat at a dog show.

Wake held off the first attack, though I admit to not knowing why the Japs didn't use their carriers." He couldn't possibly know how bad the Japanese were about using planes between their airwings, could he?
Can I get an explanation about this? I'm fairly certain the mission was only possible with carriers, is he questioning why they didn't bring the carriers in closer so they could get a second wave in?

Can I get an explanation about this? I'm fairly certain the mission was only possible with carriers, is he questioning why they didn't bring the carriers in closer so they could get a second wave in?
The IJN was literally at the end of their rope. It took almost every oiler at the fleet to get the carriers there and back. Not to mention that moving the carriers closer risks being attacked by pickets chasing the returning aircraft.

It's about Japan's reluctance to switch aircrews between CVs.

For example, if Kaga runs out of planes but has her pilots still and Akagi runs out of pilots but has her planes, the Japanese way sees both out of acton, as Kaga's pilots wouldn't fly Akagi's planes.

The first attack on Wake Island did not have carrier air cover (the Kido Butai was busy at Pearl and the CVLs were also busy elsewhere) and failed in part as a result.

The IJN was literally at the end of their rope. It took almost every oiler at the fleet to get the carriers there and back. Not to mention that moving the carriers closer risks being attacked by pickets chasing the returning aircraft.

Agree that the Japanese have terrible logistics problems, which is one reason they are in deep trouble here. Worse for them, they have a surplus of missions (take the Southern Resource Area, take the Philippines to secure sea routes to the DEI, secure Singapore, knock out US garrisons int the Pacific like Wake to establish a defense perimiter, push into the South Pacific/Coral Sea to threaten Australia) and a shortage of oilers available to support them.

It's about Japan's reluctance to switch aircrews between CVs.

For example, if Kaga runs out of planes but has her pilots still and Akagi runs out of pilots but has her planes, the Japanese way sees both out of acton, as Kaga's pilots wouldn't fly Akagi's planes.

This bit the Japanese on the ass bigtime after Coral Sea.

Zuikaku's airwing got gutted there while Shoukaku took considerably fewer plane losses. However, Shoukaku took damage to the ship and needed repairs. So rather than consolidate the airgroups on the undamaged Zuikaku for the attack on Midway, both were down-checked while Shoukaku got repaired and Zuikaku trained replacement aircrew. So the effective result was thanks to Coral Sea, both the Cranes were unavailable for Midway.

Halsey seemed even more amused when he continued, "Because that was all an act. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm angry at the Japs and I hate them for what they did." There was no amusement in those words. Just cold steel. "But everything else is an act. The crew expects me to act like that, so I do. I'm playing it up to keep morale going."

Lil' E should be glad that Adm. Halsey doesn't smoke cigars to maintain that image, unlike another (fictional) admiral.

what chapter did the attack happen... did i miss a chapter?

Pearl Harbor actually started at Chapter 38, and Chapter 39-41 were the perspectives on it. The first attack on Wake Island happened off-screen and apparently resulted in pretty much the historical result. In other words, the Japanese tried to run the operation on a bit of logistical shoestring, with the result that the American garrison fought off the first attack thanks to a combination of luck, local air superiority, and the Japanese admiral on site misreading the situation and calling for a retreat. Historically what happened next is that the IJN organizes a more substantial attack built around CarDiv 2 (Hiryu and Soryu) reinforced by a cruiser division that takes the island. The American relief force built around Enterprise backs off when they get a somewhat inaccurate report of 2 CVs (accurate) and 2 BBS (actually CAs) heading to Wake to invade.

This time around, with a second USN carrier available to assist Wake, it is not impossible we will see the first carrier vs carrier battle in history several months before Coral Sea would have happened. The USN is fresh but unblooded, while the Japanese are veterans, but have had no chance to refit and replace aircraft after the attack on Pearl Harbor (which went worse for them than IOTL).

So it is possible that when the request for help with Wake reaches Nagumo, he might screw up by the numbers, especially if he is unaware that the USN is launching an aggressive reinforcement of Wake. For instance, he might only detach whichever carrier(s) has the airwing in the best shape without paying attention to whether or not the ships being sent have trained together extensively :):cough Kaga and Zuikaku cough::). This could come back to bite him on the butt if in fact this results in an actual carrier battle versus the near-miss that it was historically.

Back